This is Debian/GNU Linux's prepackaged version of the General Purpose
Mouse Interface utility. The general purpose mouse daemon tries to be
a useful mouse server for applications running on the Linux console.
This package was put together by me, James Troup <firstname.lastname@example.org>,
from the sources, which I obtained from
The changes were excessively numerous but minor :-
- adding support for the Debian package maintenance scheme, by adding
various debian/* files.
- Makefile.in: compile shared library with -DREENTRANT and link with -lc.
- Makefile.in: support for compiling in another directory
(for libc5 versions of the library)
- doc/manpager: use gawk explicitly since /usr/bin/awk is often mawk
on Debian/GNU Linux systems and manpager doesn't work with mawk.
- doc/mktxt: ditto.
- doc/manpager: added a new rule to escape solitary backslashes.
- doc/doc.gpm: spelling & grammatical fixes.
- doc/Makefile: don't make any files 400.
- gpm-root.y (get_winsize): use /dev/tty0 not /dev/console.
- aclocal.m4: don't explicitly -I/usr/include/ncurses, as that will
break the libc5-compat build and is unnecessary on Debian GNU/Linux
- gpm.c (processConn): type of socket length changed (size_t -> socket_t).
- Makefile.in: compile the shared library with the pic versions of
$EXTRAOBJS, Greg Stark <email@example.com>. [#20008]
- gpm-root.y (f.debug): disable undocumented f.debug function because it uses a
file in /tmp in a fashion which invites symlink abuse.
- mouse-test.1: new file.
- mouse-test.c (main): exclude devices with a minor number of 130 from
the device probe to avoid causing spontaneous reboots on machines
where watchdog is used. Reported by Jim Studt <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- gpm-root.y (main): s/vcs0/vcs/g.
- aclocal.m4: force configure to leave CFLAGS alone so debian/rules
can compile debuggable but optimized binaries.
The following changes were thought of and done mostly by Fran�ois
Gouget <email@example.com>; though I didn't apply his patches as
they were for various reasons:
- gpn.c (cmdline): modified handling of -t command line argument, so it
can be used by anyone regardless of whether or not a copy of gpm is
- gpn.c (usage): update for new -t option "types".
- mice.c: improved descriptions of mouse types.
- mice.c (M_listMice): function used by -t help, reworked version of
- mice.c (M_listTypes): function used by -t types; lists only
(1.10-1 -> 1.10-6): Modifications for Debian Copyright (C) 1996, 1997
(1.10-7 -> 1.14-1): Modifications for Debian Copyright (C) 1997, 1998
gpm - General Purpose Mouse Interface is copyrighted:
Copyright 1993 firstname.lastname@example.org (Andrew Haylett)
Copyright 1994-1998 email@example.com (Alessandro Rubini)
This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
the Free Software Foundation; version 2 dated June, 1991.
This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the
GNU General Public License for more details.
You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License with
your Debian GNU/Linux system, in /usr/doc/copyright/GPL, or with the
Debian GNU/Linux gpm source package as the file COPYING. If not,
write to the Free Software Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place, Suite
330, Boston, MA 02111-1307, USA.