Theres now a small herd of programs based upon libwv.
1) wvHtml, this is what you are looking for, it converts
word 8 files to html
2) wvText, this converts word 8 files to raw text, its not
going to be of much use to many as it can't retain formatting
3) wvSummary, displays the summary information stream of *all*
ole2 files, i.e excel, powerpoint, visio, access etc etc etc,
ive sent wvSummary as a patch to the file program, so that utility
should in the future have this ability to know what windows application
created the ole2 document.
4) wvSimpleCLX, helps distinguish between fast and full saved
5) wvVersion, outputs the version of the word format which the document
is stored as.
not done yet, but might be fun for someone else include...
wvMacroRemove, deletes macros out of word files
wvFastToFull, converts fastsaved docs to full saved, shrinking their
size usually by quite a lot, and making them safe for security
wvAbiword, plugin for abiword
wvStarWriter, plugin for starwriter
wvKword, plugin for KWord, (they'll have to do this one themselves, but based
upon wvAbiword should make it pretty easy, especially if they use the
xml config file approach that im looking into.