2003-01-14 Will Woods <firstname.lastname@example.org>
* Fixed typos in man pages ("True 64")
* Bumped version number to 0.9b
* Released 0.9b. Hooray!
2002-09-18 Will Woods <email@example.com>
* branched the 0.9 tree to add bugfixes
* fixed some compilation errors with newer gcc/glibc versions
* added newer manpages
2001-11-14 Will Woods <firstname.lastname@example.org>
* sdisklabel/sdisklabel.c: fixed my fix to the cylinder counting bug.
oops. also added (currently undocumented) "force" flag, to skip
error checking in sdisklabel.
2001-10-26 Will Woods <email@example.com>
* Released aboot 0.9. Yay!
2001-10-25 Will Woods <firstname.lastname@example.org>
* sdisklabel/sdisklabel.c: fixed cylinder-counting bug
2001-10-11 Will Woods <email@example.com>
* applied a patch from the debian version of aboot. Here's the debian
* New upstream (from CVS)
* I am calling this version of aboot from CVS 0.8.
* Minor tweeks to make it compile with kernel 2.4.x headers.
* e2writeboot now returns non-zero on error. Closes: #107757
-- Gregory W. Johnson <firstname.lastname@example.org> Wed, 15 Aug 2001
Since he called his version 0.8, I will call this the 0.9 tree, to
avoid confusion. Hence this is aboot 0.9pre1.
2001-10-09 Will Woods <email@example.com>
* aboot.c, disk.c, include/config.c: replaced ABOOT_MINOR and
ABOOT_MAJOR with ABOOT_VERSION. Bumped version number to 0.8pre2.
* aboot.c: fixed ELF header bug that snuck in somewhere.
* fs/ext2.c, Makefile: fixes for proper #includes to allow compilation
of userspace testing aboot against the 2.4 kernel.
2001-10-08 Will Woods <firstname.lastname@example.org>
* fs/ext2.c: Fixed elusive overflow bug. If part of the kernel was
past the 524,287th block (given 4096 bytes per block) the byte offset
was too big to fit in an int.
* sdisklabel/sdisklabel.c: borrowed code from fdisk for getting
the correct size of the disk.
2001-07-10 Will Woods <email@example.com>
* aboot.c, tools/objstrip.c: elf_check_arch takes different arguments
in Linux 2.4 than it did in 2.2; added an aboot_elf_check_arch which
does the right thing based on version info from linux/version.h.
* disk.c: a function called get_options exists in 2.4 kernels, so
aboot's get_options function was renamed get_aboot_options().
(both changes based on a patch by Christian Groessler <firstname.lastname@example.org>)
2001-04-26 Will Woods <email@example.com>
* disk.c: changed /etc/aboot.conf and aboot.conf back to their
original settings. If it ain't broke, why fix it?
* added the man pages in doc/man, written by Helge Kreutzmann
<firstname.lastname@example.org> (Thanks Helge!)
2001-03-20 Will Woods <email@example.com>
* disk.c: swapped position of /etc/aboot.conf and aboot.conf in the
configs array, making /aboot.conf the default.
* isolib.c: added parse_rock_ridge_inode and get_rock_ridge_symlink
adapted from rock.c in the linux kernel source.
* isolib.c: added iso_follow_link and iso_readdir, adapted from
* made minor changes here and there to quiet gcc warnings -
initializing variables to 0, casting variables properly, etc
2000-06-27 David Huggins-Daines <firstname.lastname@example.org>
* sdisklabel/sdisklabel.c (main): Off-by-one error in argument
checking (not my fault!).
* disk.c (load_raw): This didn't work at all. I've changed it to
use an uncompressed kernel with headers. Eventually it will be
fixed so that it can accept compressed kernels as well (by
checking for gzip magic numbers).
* lib/vsprintf.c (vsprintf): Patch from Matt Wilson, fix the 'h'
format in vsprintf().
* utils.c: Patch from Matt Wilson <email@example.com>, to allow
compiling against linux 2.3 header files.
2000-05-02 David Huggins-Daines <firstname.lastname@example.org>
* Makefile: Added the ability to build a debugging aboot that runs
as a userspace program. Great for filesystem code debugging.
Also, optimize for size instead of speed.
* aboot.c: Remove a.out support, add multiple ELF pheader
support. Also make the parameter offset, and kernel stack offset
non-hardcoded in order to deal with new, bigger consoles.
* disk.c: Change "plain" to "uncompressed" and load_aout() to
load_uncompressed(). Implement multiple pheaders for raw boot
(untested) and uncompressed boot (tested). Also look for
alternative config files (needed for CD booting and such)
* fs/ext2.c: Cache the root inode, and do proper 64-bit arithmetic
in ext2_iget() so that >2G filesystems work reliably (doh!)
* head.S: make run_kernel() assembly in order to save a few bytes.
* include/aboot.h: prototype run_kernel as attribute((noreturn)),
maybe this will save a few bytes too.
* fs/ufs.c: Implement dummy fstat(). I don't really know if the
UFS code still works, and I'm tempted to remove it.
* include/cons.h: Add a definition of the CTB, though we don't
really use it yet.
* include/iso.h: Rock Ridge constants
* lib/isolib.c: Rock Ridge filenames, code cleanup, and fix the
bug where 2048-byte blocks don't work.
* zip/misc.c: necessary stuff for multiple pheaders.
2000-04-10 David Huggins-Daines <email@example.com>
* lib/isolib.c (iso_iget): Gar! More stupidity in the ISO code,
now fixed (see comment about *pnt being overwritten). With luck
this should be 0.7 final, so I won't need to do another 0.6
2000-04-02 David Huggins-Daines <firstname.lastname@example.org>
* lib/isolib.c: Fix some obvious stupidity in the ISO code (could
cause a failure to load the kernel in some cases due to reading
past the end of the device.
* sdisklabel/swriteboot.c (read_configured_partition): Eek! I
thought I had fixed the problems I created with installing aboot
on new disks. Obviously I didn't. Thanks to Martin Lucina
<email@example.com> for inadvertently finding the case I missed.
2000-03-23 David Huggins-Daines <firstname.lastname@example.org>
* cons.c: Patch from David North <email@example.com>, via
Greg W. Johnson (firstname.lastname@example.org), fixes serial console output on
* fs/iso.c: email@example.com: silence compiler warnings
* include/isolib.h: ditto
* lib/string.c: ditto
* sdisklabel/swriteboot.c: add abootconf functionality to
swriteboot (where it probably belongs)
2000-03-06 David Huggins-Daines <firstname.lastname@example.org>
* aboot-0.6: At long last we have a new aboot. This is somewhat
of an interim release, as it doesn't have all the features I'd
like (it doesn't list directories or follow symlinks on ISO9660 or
UFS filesystems, for example, nor does it support initrd), but it
integrates the large number of patches that have been added by
various distributions, adds symlink-following, initrd, and
directory-listing support on ext2 at least, and generally works
Sat Aug 17 18:58:36 1996 David Mosberger-Tang <email@example.com>
* disk.c (get_boot_device): New function. If it guesses wrong,
explicitly specify bootdevice= via commandline.
(get_options): Add support for bootdevice= and bootfile= options
to enable Red Hat installation.
* sdisklabel/library.c (overlaplabel): FORCE is now a bitset.
If bit i is set, overlaps with partition i+1 are allowed.
* sdisklabel/sdisklabel.c (set_partition): Update accordingly.
* sdisklabel/swriteboot.c (main): Make 1 be the first partition
(not 0) to be consistent with Linux kernel numbering. Make
force_overlap a bitset so we can force more than one overlapping
* disk.c (load_kernel): If kernel load fails, drop into
* fs/ext2.c (ext2_iget): Make OFFSET a long, not an int so we can
boot from a partition that starts at an offset > 2GB.
Fri May 10 16:48:25 1996 David Mosberger-Tang <firstname.lastname@example.org>
* main.c: split out disk booting into disk.c and netbooting into
* Network booting support added by Dave Larson
A long time ago:
* Default commandline argument handling by Michael Schwingen
A very long time ago:
* Filesystem support added by David Mosberger <email@example.com>