- Linux or POSIX.1-2001 compliant environment
- GNU make, CMake 2.6.2 or newer
- GCC and Boost headers (http://boost.org)
OR GCC 4.x and its libstdc++ with header files
OR a GCC compatible compiler and STL with C++-0x compliant smart pointers
- zlib, libbz2 und their development components
- (optional) libzma from XZ and its development components
- (optional) recent FUSE library and its development files for the
"virtual mirror" filesystem
Build and installation instructions:
- run "make"
- if an error occurs, read the message, solve the problem, run "make distclean"
and retry with "make"
- when done, copy build/apt-cacher-ng and build/in.acng to /usr/local/sbin
- make apt-cacher-ng be executed at system startup time.
debian/apt-cacher-ng.init might serve as inspiration.
- for Avahi file installation, install contrib/apt-cacher-ng.service as needed
- create a directory for cached files and for log files
- set ownership and directory permissions in a way which allows
read/write/mkdir actions to the user account used to run apt-cacher-ng later
- copy conf directory to /etc/apt-cacher-ng or similar location.
- adapt acng.conf and other *.conf files in that configuration directory.
See user manual (doc/apt-cacher-ng.pdf or doc/README) for instructions.
- run apt-cacher-ng -c yourConfigurationDirectory
- visit Command-and-Control web interface of apt-cacher-ng, link can be found
among other instructions at http://yourHostName:portNumber/ , which might be
http://localhost:3142/ with the default configuration
- for apt clients, there is a config snipped in contrib/10-apt-cacher-ng.conf
which might be installed into /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/.