blootbot v1.0.0 (20000729)
This bot is based upon infobot-0.44.2 by kevin lenzo
<email@example.com>. The basis of infobot is still there but _many_ wild
features have been added. Along the way, a couple of typos were spotted
in the original infobot source and fixed in this version. Without infobot,
there would be no blootbot so all thanks to kevin for bringing infobot in
the first place.
* Additional information stored with factoids. (factinfo)
* Wide range of statistics for Bot, Factoids, IRC, Debian.
(status, factstats, ircstats, chanstats, cmdstats)
* Advanced topic management. (the first cool feature)
* Improved factoid search, allowing search by key or value.
* Freshmeat support (freshmeat.net)
* Debian Contents and Packages, search and info.
* ChanServ/NickServ (OPN) support.
* WWW-Search (eg: google for BLAH)
* Slashdot,Kernel and Freshmeat auto-update announcements.
* Units conversion (provided by external module, Units-Module)
- Modularity. Ability to disable IRC or Factoid support.
- Funky pseudo Module autoloader support
- Eleet Forker() function
* log file is not opened and closed for each line of data
=> unblocked logging is used.
* seen data is not flushed for each public message on IRC
=> caching and flushing over an interval is used.
As of 0.99pre1, blootbot supports mysql database in the hope to
increase performance and to avoid borked over dbm's which occurred when
the bot crashed (??). The mysql code is far larger (or perhaps twice
as many functions) than expected even though a few functions were needed
for DBM due to lack of table deficiencies.
As of 1.0.0pre1, blootbot takes advantage of Net::IRC. The
change over was fairly comfortable (95% clean). Just minor problems here
and there, mostly debugging and getting it right.
As of 1.0.0RC2, the old style DBM (Berkeley) has been ported
back. It should work in all but 3 specific (countdown, factstats unreq)
cases. preliminary pgsql support has been added but someone with pgperl
knowledge needs to fix it up or at least unify the module with mysql.
- Read INSTALL and INSTALL.patches
- Copy files/sample.config to files/blootbot.config
- Edit files/blootbot.config
Be warned that this bot consumes quite a lot of memory upon start
up and during usage. Right now, 7.4megs is used for old'ish perl, 8.3megs
with perl 5.005. fork() is used but don't be alarmed at the memory usage
as fork(), as I was told, uses COW (copy on write).
WARNING: enabling wingate support may involve complaints of some
sort, probably because the telnet connection isn't closed properly.
However, these people do not realize the potential of open wingates.
Please beta test it and report bugs as I have not had the time to
test all modifications properly (and extensively). Suggestions are
a few guys from #debian@OPN are attempting to rewrite the bot in C
to support dbm185or2//mysql//postgresql. It's available at
All modifications are that of the blootbot author unless otherwise
specified, like none. See 'ChangeLog' for details. A list of future
features listed in 'TODO'.
See 'USAGE' for complete list of commands with description
(FIXME) and examples (FIXME). Yes, it is incomplete. It is better for
you to find the cookies than for me to hand-feed them to you ;)
See 'EXAMPLES' for various usage of factoids and "hidden"
variables. If you're hardcore, check out 'CommandStubs.pl' and
'UserExtras.pl' for cool features.
topic [help] - Topic help.
topic add <topic> - Append <topic> to the current topic.
topic del <#> - Purge topic ID <#> from current topic.
topic list - List broken down summary of current topic.
topic mod s/old/new/ - Modify the topic using regex.
- Now supports , and # as delimiters.
topic mv <1> <type> <2> - <type>:
before - Move <1> before <2>
after - Move <1> after <2>
swap - Swap <1> and <2>
topic shuffle - Jumble the subtopics.
topic history - Show previous channel topics.
topic restore <#> - Restore channel topic to <#> on history
==> Individual commands: NEW
(lobotomy|bequiet) -- [o] silence the bot.
(unlobotomy|benoisy) -- [o] unsilence the bot.
set <param> <value> -- ...
unset <param> -- ...
To administrate/control the bot remotely, this can only be done
through DCC CHAT. /chat <BOT NICK>. All commands must be prepended by
'.' otherwise it is sent to the bot chat net
- user statistics shown by 'seen'. bug in this?
- User Information Services.
- new wingate caching/file-read code.
- disabling IRC/factoid support code.
- PG/DBM supports need to be worked and thoroughly tested.
jCommons, is, netgod, mu and Mercury for attempting to break my
modifications, aswell as giving suggestions and ideas in the early
development stages. Bashing of modifications courtesy of larne, irq, lilo
mu@OPN for the SAR (=~ s///) and Topic history patch.
someone emailed me a patch to fix up telnet but I accidently
deleted the message together with the patch after replying to the guy. I
hope to get that same guy to re-send me the patch...
MbM sent me a patch to clean up behaviour of factoids
(adding,removing, modifying). Thanks.
Contributions of a patch or a job offer can be sent to
<firstname.lastname@example.org> [DOES IT WORK??]