# Consul [![Build Status](https://travis-ci.org/hashicorp/consul.svg?branch=master)](https://travis-ci.org/hashicorp/consul) [![Join the chat at https://gitter.im/hashicorp-consul/Lobby](https://badges.gitter.im/hashicorp-consul/Lobby.svg)](https://gitter.im/hashicorp-consul/Lobby?utm_source=badge&utm_medium=badge&utm_campaign=pr-badge&utm_content=badge)
* Website: https://www.consul.io
* Chat: [Gitter](https://gitter.im/hashicorp-consul/Lobby)
* Mailing list: [Google Groups](https://groups.google.com/group/consul-tool/)
Consul is a tool for service discovery and configuration. Consul is
distributed, highly available, and extremely scalable.
Consul provides several key features:
* **Service Discovery** - Consul makes it simple for services to register
themselves and to discover other services via a DNS or HTTP interface.
External services such as SaaS providers can be registered as well.
* **Health Checking** - Health Checking enables Consul to quickly alert
operators about any issues in a cluster. The integration with service
discovery prevents routing traffic to unhealthy hosts and enables service
level circuit breakers.
* **Key/Value Storage** - A flexible key/value store enables storing
dynamic configuration, feature flagging, coordination, leader election and
more. The simple HTTP API makes it easy to use anywhere.
* **Multi-Datacenter** - Consul is built to be datacenter aware, and can
support any number of regions without complex configuration.
* **Service Segmentation** - Consul Connect enables secure service-to-service
communication with automatic TLS encryption and identity-based authorization.
Consul runs on Linux, Mac OS X, FreeBSD, Solaris, and Windows. A commercial
version called [Consul Enterprise](https://www.hashicorp.com/products/consul)
is also available.
**Please note**: We take Consul's security and our users' trust very seriously. If you
believe you have found a security issue in Consul, please [responsibly disclose](https://www.hashicorp.com/security#vulnerability-reporting) by
contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
## Quick Start
An extensive quick start is viewable on the Consul website:
Full, comprehensive documentation is viewable on the Consul website:
Thank you for your interest in contributing! Please refer to [CONTRIBUTING.md](https://github.com/hashicorp/consul/blob/master/.github/CONTRIBUTING.md) for guidance.