NEWS - OpenPrinting CUPS Filters v1.28.7 - 2021-01-07
CHANGES IN V1.28.7
- driverless: Removed the support quality check from Pull
request #235 as it takes significant time for each printer
being listed, making cups-driverd (`lpinfo -m`) timing out
when there are many printers (OpenPrinting CUPS issue #65).
- libcupsfilters: In the PPD generator give priority to Apple
Raster against PDF (Issue #331).
- libcupsfilters: Added NULL check when removing ".Borderless"
suffixes from page size names (Issue #314, Pull request
- libcupsfilters: In the cupsRasterParseIPPOptions() map the
color spaces the same way as in the PPD generator (Issue
#326, Pull request #327).
- libcupsfilters: Fixed addition of grayscale mode in
generated PPD files, to avoid duplicate entries
(OpenPrinting CUPS issue #59).
CHANGES IN V1.28.6
- libcupsfilters: In generated PPDs add a grayscale mode if
there are only color printing modes (from OpenPrinting
- libcupsfilters: In generated PPDs add an "OutputBin" option
also if it has only one choice (OpenPrinting CUPS pull
- libcupsfilters: Generated PPDs could have an "Unknown"
default InputSlot (OpenPrinting CUPS issue #44).
- cups-browsed: Removed unneeded IPP attribute additions
preventing the created local queues from preserving a
location or description the user assigns to them (Issue
- cups-browsed: Removed all calls of the resolve_uri() function
of libcupsfilters, as these are not actually needed and in case
the supplied DNS-SD-based URI is not resolvable, the function
gets stuck for ~5 seconds.
- cups-browsed: Fixed several memory leaks, mainly from the
code to merge printer IPP attributes for clusters (Pull
- cups-browsed: Silenced compiler warning.
- foomatic-rip: Fix infinite loop and input from file on raw
printing (Pull request #318).
- foomatic-rip: Remove temporary file created during pdf-to-ps
conversion (Pull request #313).
CHANGES IN V1.28.5
- cups-browsed: UUID from IPP response was used after its
pointer was freed by ippDelete() (Pull request #311).
CHANGES IN V1.28.4
- driverless: Avoid duplicate PPD list entries from the same
device via UUID
- driverless: Reduce ippfind calls by "driverless" and
"driverless-fax"called by CUPS. Let "driverless list" list
both print and fax PPDs and "driverless-fax list" do
- driverless: Avoid duplicate listings in printer discovery,
by "driverless-fax" not listing any URI as "driverless"
lists them all already.
- driverless: Vastly improve performance by doing only one
ippfind call instead of two (IPP, IPPS) as ippfind accepts
more than one reg type on the command line.
- Sample PPDs: Corrected manufacturer name in
CHANGES IN V1.28.3
- libcupsfilters, cups-browsed: Fixed inconsistency between
resolvers for DNS-SD-based URIs, resolve_uri() and
ippfind_based_uri_converter(). Now both return a freeable
- libcupsfilters: Fix uninitialized buffer and parsing ippfind
output in ippfind_based_uri_converter() function (Issue
#308, Pull request #309).
CHANGES IN V1.28.2
- driverless: Free allocated memory, use MAX_OUTPUT_LEN (Pull
- driverless: Make the two ippfind tasks(for IPP
and IPPS) run in parallel (Pull request #302, #305, #306).
- braille: Support new liblouis tables not containing a
display name (Pull request #303)
- Build system: Let ./configure not error out when there is
more than one DejaVuSans.ttf test font candidate (Issue
- cups-browsed: Crash when a remote printer set as default
gets removed, due to missing variable in printf() call
- libcupsfilters: Removed all signal handling and global
variables from get_printer_attributes() and
ippfind_based_uri_converter(). This is overkill for these
quick operations and causes problems when shutting down
cups-browsed (Issue #298).
CHANGES IN V1.28.1
- COPYING: Fixed several typos
- libcupsfilters: Fixed typo in log message of
- cups-browsed: Fixed typos in configuration file and man page
- libcupsfilters: Let the PPD generator not suffix page size
names with ".Borderless" if all page sizes would get this
suffix, for example for printers which generally print
- libcupsfilters: Added "faxPrefix" option for generated IPP
Fax Out PPDs, so that this option also appears in print
- driverless: List addresses for local services correctly when
using "--std-ipp-uris" (with "localhost" hostname).
- driverless: Make calls of the ippfind utility somewhat faster,
setting the timeout of ippfind to automatic.
- libcupsfilters: Resolve DNS-SD-based URIs for local services
correctly (using hostname "localhost").
- libcupsfilters: In get_printer_attributes() functions do not
try to convert URIs which are not DNS-SD-based (Issue #294).
- libcupsfilters: In get_printer_attributes() functions also
support URIs with "dnssd://..." scheme.
- libcupsfilters: Moved signal handling back into main
function of the get_printer_attributes() variants, it got
moved out accidentally.
- driverless: For generating a PPD, independent whether via
"driverless URI" or "driverless cat URI", always allow CUPS
driver URIs (prefixed with "driverless: " or
"driverless-fax:") and pure IPP URIs.
- driverless: Accept clean IPP URIs also for 'driverless cat
...' (Issue #295, Pull request #296).
- driverless-fax: Do not use fixed path for call of driverless
itself (Pull request #293).
CHANGES IN V1.28.0
- driverless, driverless-fax, libcupsfilters: Added IPP Fax
Out support. Now printer setup tools list an additional fax
"driver". A fax queue is created by selecting this
driver. Jobs have to be sent with "-o phone=12345" to supply
the destination phone number (Pull request #280).
- libfontembed: Silenced warning with gcc 10.x (Pull request
- cups-browsed: Added ./configure options
--with-remote-cups-local-queue-naming (Pull request: #253,
- cups-browsed: Fixed several memory leaks, mainly from the
code to merge printer IPP attributes for clusters (Pull
request #281, #283).
- driverless: Added "--std-ipp-uris" command line option to
show listed URIs in standard hostname-based form (not the
CUPS DNS-SD-service-name-based form. Only for manual call of
the utility, for debugging purposes (Pull request #277).
- libfontembed: Removed assert() calls which cause crashes
when unsupported emoji fonts are installed (Issue #254, Pull
- driverless: Added support for IPPS (use "ipps://..." URIs if
possible, Issue #251, Pull request #270, #273).
- gstoraster, gstopdf: When converting PostScript to PDF use
the "pdfwrite" output device with "-dPDFSETTINGS=/default"
instead of with "-dPDFSETTINGS=/printer". This reproduces
bitmaps in the PostScript file with their original image
quality (Issue #272).
- cups-browsed: Limit log file size and add backup file for
previous log entries. Introduced the configuration option
DebugLogFileSize in cups-browsed.conf to set the actual
limit in kilobytes or 0 to get the old behavior of an
unlimited size for the log file (Issue #260, Pull request
- gstoraster, gstopdf: Do not apply margins when output format
is PDF, as then we convert an incoming PostScript file to
PDF (pre-pdftopdf) and do not prepare the pages for the
printer (post-pdftopdf, Issue #250).
- cups-browsed: Do not write any log messages directly to
stderr, there were some concerning timeouts on queue
creation (Issue #260).
- Build system: Fix cross-compilation without DejaVu test font
in configure.ac (Issue #262, Pull request #263).
- libcupsfilters: Respect the fact that PPD keywords
are case-sensitive when adding "*cupsManualCopies: True" in
PPD file (Issue #242).
- libcupsfilters: Older versions of libcups (< 2.3.1)
had the enum name for fold-accordion finishings mistyped.
Added a workaround.
- cups-browsed: Remove left-over local queues from the
previous session more quickly when CUPS legacy browsing is
- cups-browsed: Left-over local queues from the previous
session for which the corresponding remote printer did not
appear again did not get removed as they were considered
- gstoraster, gstopdf: Add option "-dDoNumCopies" to
Ghostscript command line if we are outputting PDF (called
via gstopdf wrapper) and the number of copies supplied to
CUPS is 1 (4th command line argument). In this case we
convert incoming PostScript to PDF and need to respect
embedded PostScript commands to implement the number of
copies (Issue #255, CUPS Issue #5796, OpenSUSE bug
- imagetoraster: Potential null dereference fix (when no valid
PPD is supplied, Pull request #256).
- cups-browsed: Call cupsGetNamedDest() only if
- Sample PPDs: Corrected ColorModel default for Generic PWG
Raster PPD to Color (Pull request #247).
- cups-browsed: Mark the temp queue as cups-browsed-generated
during setting printer-is-shared (Pull request #246).
- cups-browsed: Remove mentions of README and AUTHORS files in
the man page (Pull request #244).
- pclmtoraster: Added new filter to extract Raster data from
raster-only PDF files, here for the special case of PCLm
files (Pull request #243, #257).
- Sample PPDs: In Generic-PDF_Printer-PDF.ppd add option to
switch between color and grayscale printing (Pull request
CHANGES IN V1.27.5
- cups-browsed: Do not remove the created local queues on
shutdown, to avoid their re-creation on restart, so that
desktops get no cluttered with notifications of new queues
being created. One can return to the old behavior via
"KeepGeneratedQueuesOnShutdown No" in cups-browsed.conf
(Ubuntu bug #1869981, #1878241).
- cups-browsed: Do not accept DNS-SD broadcasts of IPPS type
of "remote" CUPS queues of another CUPS instance on the
local machine. This way we get a local queue pointing to
such a printer only in unencrypted version (IPP). For some
reason printing from one CUPS server to another on the same
machine works only unencrypted.
- foomatic-rip: Map two-sided-short-edge to DuplexTumble (Pull
- Build system: In configure.ac use AS_IF instead of
AC_CHECK_FILE for font check (Issue #239, Pull request #240)
- cups-browsed: Cleaned up code for determining to which CUPS
server (host/port/domain socket) to connect, so that
connection via DomainSocket cups-browsed.conf directive,
CUPS_SERVER and IPP_PORT environment variables and all
defaults and methods of libcups, including CUPS' client.conf
- gstoraster, rastertopdf: Do not pass NULL to fprintf() (Pull
- libcupsfilters: Silence compiler warning (Pull request #229).
CHANGES IN V1.27.4
- libcupsfilters, cups-browsed: Fix memory issues in
ppdgenerator and cups-browsed (Pull request #226).
- pdftops: Mention cups-filters README, CUPS README in debug
log (Pull request #225).
- pdftopdf, gstoraster, foomatic-rip: Use "-dSAFER"
Ghostscript option, instead of the deprecated
"-dPARANOIDSAFER" (Pull request #224).
- Build System: Replace '==' in configure.ac test with '=', as
the former is a bashism (Pull request #222).
CHANGES IN V1.27.3
- cups-browsed: Allow sharing local queues pointing to remote
CUPS queues and re-sharing printers discovered via
BrowsePoll by default, using
NewBrowsePollQueuesShared directives in cups-browsed.conf
(Issue #101, Pull request #218).
- driverless: Correctly unlink temporary file when generating
PPD file (Pull request #220).
- cups-browsed: Fixed memory leaks (Pull request #219).
- foomatic-rip: PDF page count side-loads the PDF file to
count the pages in, so it cannot be run in -dSAFER mode. Run
even in -dNOSAFER mode to override the -dSAFER default of
newer Ghostscript versions. This should not cause a security
problem as we do not take an input file which could do
arbitrary side-loads but we run hard-coded PostScript
commands instead (Issue #216).
- libfontembed: Add checks to the test programs to not
segfault if the test font file is not found (Pull request
- Build System: Let ./configure fail if the supplied test font
file path (or the default) does not exist (Pull request
#214), also use the "find" command to find the test font
file DejaVuSans.ttf under /usr/share/fonts, as every
distribution has it somewhere else.
CHANGES IN V1.27.2
- foomatic-rip: In some PostScript input files it was possible
that option settings did not get inserted or lines inserted
on the wron place (Issue #208, Pull request #210).
- foomatic-rip: For the PDF page count call Ghostscript in
sandbox mode and fix pointer arithmetics (Pull request
- foomatic-rip: Zero-page-job handling changes made the last
page of PostScript files not printed, also turning one-page
jobs into zero-page jobs (Issue #200, Issue #206, Issue
#208, Pull request #209, Pull request #210, Pull request
- cups-browsed: check_printer_with_option() function:
Initialize the value, add further checks, freeing memory and
stop allocating magic numbers (Pull request #204).
- cups-browsed: Additional checks against crashes in the
is_local_hostname() function (Ubuntu bug #1863716)
CHANGES IN V1.27.1
- libcupsfilters: Let the PPD generator not put any dashes
into the PPD option and choice names when translating them
from IPP attribute names, to avoid that on the
back-translation by CUPS no double-dashes are
generated. This broke paper tray selections with tray names
like "tray-1", "tray-2", ... (Issue #192, Issue #201, Debian
- foomatic-rip: Fixed segfault when PRINTER environment
variable is not supplied.
- pdftopdf, pdftops, gstoraster, gstopdf, gstopxl,
rastertoescpx, rastertopclx, foomatic-rip: Handle zero-page
jobs (Issue #117, Pull request #196, Pull request #197, Pull
request #198, Pull request #200).
- texttopdf: Added support for CJK (double-width) fonts (Issue
#135, Pull request #199).
- cups-browsed: Switched default for "CreateIPPPrinterQueues"
from "local-only" to "All". The configure script options
"--enable-auto-setup-driverless-only" can be used to change
this default (Debian bug #921252).
- rastertoescpx: Fixed wrong freeing of a buffer.
- pdftops: Added options "crop-to-fit" and "fill" to the
pdftopdf options which the pstops called by pdftops should
not apply a second time.
- pdftops: Added missing "-sstdout=%stderr" to Ghostscript
command line, to assure that all messages are redirected to
stderr and do not mix up with the output data.
CHANGES IN V1.27.0
- cups-browsed: Eliminate the use of the local CUPS daemon's
(the CUPS we are attached to) port number completely, so
that for attaching to an arbitrary local CUPS daemon
listening on an arbitrary port (or even not listening on
localhost at all) it is enough to tell cups-browsed the
domain socket the CUPS daemon is listening on.
- cups-browsed, libcupsfilters: Identify DNS-SD-reported
printers as of the local CUPS daemon via UUID and not via
the port on which the local CUPS is listening, as we do not
always have this port available.
- cups-browsed: Leave the port for legacy CUPS browsing and
broadcasting on 631, do not use a possible alternative port
of the CUPS we are attached to. The legacy CUPS servers we
communicate with are always remote ones.
- libcupsfilters: in the PPD generator prioritize
pwg-raster-document-type-supported (Issue #186, Pull request
- rastertopdf, rastertops, texttopdf, pdftoraster,
mupdftoraster: Handle zero-page jobs, corrections on
zero-page job handling (Issue #117)
- cups-browsed: When restarting after a crash make sure that
local queue names have same upper/lower case as before.
- cups-browsed: Small code improvements to reduce crash
CHANGES IN V1.26.2
- cups-browsed: Added crash guards to avoid crashes in case
the dummy printer entry for a deleted master entry is used.
- cups-browsed: Set the port of the local CUPS daemon to be
used according to the IPP_PORT environment variable.
- cups-browsed: Eliminated the use of the cupsGetPPD2()
function of libcups completely, also the remaining calls
in the record_printer_options() and update_cups_queues()
functions, the former causing incomplete recording of
option settings and the latter use of CUPS-generated
PPDs not working when CUPS is running on a non-standard
- cups-browsed: Eliminated the use of the cupsGetPPD2()
function of libcups in queue_overwritten(). The function
actually loads the queue's PPD file if the queue is on a
local CUPS on port 631. Due to a bug the function fails if
an alternative port is used. This lets queue_overwritten()
always assume that the PPD got removed and therefore the
queue got overwritten. So queues got released from
cups-browsed if it was printed on them or if they were
supposed to be removed on shutdown.
- foomatic-rip: Fixed compilation with -fno-common. Starting
from the upcoming GCC 10, the default of the -fcommon option
will change to -fno-common. This causes compilation errors
in foomatic-rip due to missing "external" declarations.
(Pull request #184).
CHANGES IN V1.26.1
- build system: Install the "implicitclass" backend with
"-rwx------" permissions, so that CUPS executes it as root,
as the "ipp" CUPS backend also has to be executed as root
- build system: Fixed setting permissions when installing the
- libcupsfilters: When using the
attributes (needed if we have no "media-col-database"), use
the minimum and not the maximum margins, this allows
accessing more of the printer's capabilities, especially for
legacy printers which do not provide sufficient information
CHANGES IN V1.26.0
- cups-browsed: When generating local queues for printers for
which the local CUPS daemon would provide temporary queues
use the PPDs generated by libcupsfilters and not the ones
generated by CUPS. The PPD generation of libcupsfilters also
works with IPP-1.x-only printers, printers which do not
support to query "media-col-database" and printers which
support driverless printing only via PCLm. This can be
changed via the "UseCUPSGeneratedPPDs" directive in
cups-browsed.conf (Issue #22).
- libcupsfilters: Re-structured the get_printer_attributes()
function to remove the recursive calls for the fallbacks, to
check required attributes in the response only if requested,
and to fully integrate the method of getting a suitable
response for a full printer capability list also if the
printer is only IPP 1.1 or does not support the
"media-col-database" attribute (Issue #22, Issue #163).
- libcupsfilters, cups-browsed, driverless: Moved the funtions
get_printer_attributes() and resolve_uri() from cups-browsed
into libcupsfilters, to share them with the driverless
utility (Issue #22).
- implicitclass: Fixed wrong stdout redirection from the
filters to the IPP backend and hard-coded path for "ipp"
backend call (Possible fix for Issue #163, Issue #181).
- cups-browsed, driverless: Use DNS-SD-service-name-based URIs
instead of host-name-based ones, as CUPS also does. In
cups-browsed one can switch back to the conventional
host-name-based URIs via the new "DNSSDBasedDeviceURIs"
configuration option. Note that cups-browsed always uses
conventional URIs for printers discovered via legacy CUPS
browsing or LDAP.
- cups-browsed: When removing a CUPS queue, do not consider an
error (and retry) if the queue does not actually exist. Also
ignore errors when checking whether there are still
jobs. This way when a new queue gets created and the
generation of the PPD file fails the attempt to remove this
non-existing queueu when removing the printer entry does not
cause any problem.
- cups-browsed: Improved the fallback mechanism of the
get_printer_attributes() function. Instead of considering
the request failed by the content of the response only when
not more than the two language atrributes come out, we check
through a list of required attributes whether they are all
there. In addition, we actually fail when all callbacks
have failed (Issue #22).
- cups-browsed: Introduced new configuration options
"PauseBetweenCUPSQueueUpdates" to limit the amount of local
CUPS queues created, modified, or removed in a single event
callback. Before, when there were thousands of printers in
the network, cups-browsed got blocked for other tasks, like
assigning a destination printer for a cluster print job
CHANGES IN V1.25.13
- implicitclass: When passing on the job via the "ipp" CUPS
backend, set argv to the destination printer URI (Pull
- cups-browsed: Added another fallback to the
get-printer-attributes IPP request: Now after failing the
standard request ("all", "media-col-database") with both IPP
2.0 and IPP 1.1, try simply "all", without
"media-col-database" (Pull request #173).
- cups-browsed: Do not set printer-is-shared for remote CUPS
queue when making a temporary queue permanent (Pull request
- cups-browsed: Fix leaks of ipp_t struct and load balancing
on the servers (Pull request #179).
- cups-browsed, implicitclass: Prioritize Apple Raster against
PWG Raster when selecting the PDL for the destination
printer for a job sent to a cluster, also cleaned up the PDL
selector code and added PostScript support.
- libcupsfilters: Updated the PPD generator adding all changes
of the PPD generator of CUPS: Support for "job-account-id",
"job-accounting-user-id", "job-password", finishing options
"trim-..." added, finishing options and
"finishing-col-database" support synced with CUPS.
- libcupsfilters: In the PPD generator get the mode for
handling the back sides of the sheets when printing duplex
preferrably from the "urf-supported" attribute.
- libcupsfilters: Fixed bug that the PPD generator did not
output the "*CloseUI: *ColorModel" line when it did not
determine a default setting for "ColorModel".
- cups-browsed: Added some missing memory allocations leading
to a segfault (Issue #175).
CHANGES IN V1.25.12
- libcupsfilters: Use the text names "Draft", "Normal", and
"High" instead of 3, 4, and 5 as choice names for the
"cupsPrintQuality" option as CUPS does (Issue #171).
- libcupsfilters: If a printer supports both Apple Raster and
PWG Raster let the generated PPD use Apple Raster as there
are several printers which report PWG Raster support but do
not actually print PWG Raster (Pull reguest #168, Issue
#171, CUPS issue #5238).
- cups-browsed: Fix unset location check to use DNS-SD field
(Pull request #172).
- libcupsfilters, beh, implicitclass, foomatic-rip,
imagetopdf, mupdftoraster, pdftops, sys5ippprinter,
cups-browsed, driverless: Silenced all compiler warnings to
make the build process of cups-filters completely free of
- pdftops: Fixed crash when using filter without PPD file.
- pdftops: If printing grayscale jobs with Ghostscript as PDF
renderer, add "-sProcessColorModel=DeviceGray" to
Ghostscript command line.
- pdftops: Do not use the ugly "pdftops -level1 ..."
workaround to get grayscale PostScript output from
Poppler. It leads to huge output files with Poppler's
"pdftops" utility and does not work at all with
"pdftocairo". Poppler itself does not support PostScript
output converted to grayscale. Issue a warning with the hint
to use Ghostscript or MuPDF as PDF renderer (Issue #169).
- libcupsfilters: In the cupsRasterParseIPPOptions()
accept also "Mono", "Monochrome", and "Gray" as color
CHANGES IN V1.25.11
- cups-browsed: Really accept entries without printer name
reported on a job status request (Issue #163).
- cups-browsed: Strip IPP attribute values reported by the
printer on a get-printer-attributes request from white
space (Pull request #166).
CHANGES IN V1.25.10
- libcupsfilters: Added NULL checks when handling page size
names as some of the page sizes in CUPS' PWG media list have
a NULL PPD name (Ubuntu bug #1847488).
CHANGES IN V1.25.9
- cups-browsed: Fix leaks in get_printer_attributes() function.
- cups-browsed: Avoid infinite recursion on IPP 1.1 fallback.
CHANGES IN V1.25.8
- cups-browsed: On a job status request accept also entries
without the printer name being reported (Issue #163).
- cups-browsed: Fall back to IPP 1.1 if a
get-printer-attributes IPP request with IPP 2.x fails (Issue
#124, Issue #163).
- gstoraster: Use ".setfilladjust2" instead of the
undocumented ".setfilladjust" PostScript command for
Center-of-Pixel method to fill paths (Issue #164).
CHANGES IN V1.25.7
- implicitclass, libcupsfilters: Fixes to solve an assertion
error and printing to an Apple Raster printer (Issue #162,
Ubuntu bug #1845286, Ubuntu bug #1845548).
- cups-browsed: Do not try to resolve the network interface
name on Avahi messages which are not interface-related (like
"All for now"or "Cache exhausted", Issue #163).
- Build system: The helper script ln-srf to build on systems
with old ln was not included in the release tarballs (Issue
- pdftoraster: Fixed some bugs in output bitmap generation (
writePageImage() function): Segfault on output of
up-side-down pages (back side when printing duplex on some
printers), margin offsets not taken into account on
monochrome jobs, CUPS_CSPACE_W color space not recognized as
monochrome (Ubuntu bug #1845286).
CHANGES IN V1.25.6
- implicitclass: Make sure the destination printer gets always
set and do not pass on the cups-browsed-dest-printer when
sending the job to the final destination (Issue #152, Pull
- Build system: Support old ln versions without the -r option
(Pull request #154, #157).
- texttotext: Link with libiconv if needed (Pull request
- foomatic-rip: Fix argument representation for raw queue
debug mesaage (Pull request #153).
CHANGES IN V1.25.5
- bannertopdf: Added missing "#include <cstring>" to pdf.cxx
so that bannertopdf correctly builds with QPDF 9.0.0 (Issue
#134, Issue #151, Gentoo bug #693498).
- rastertopdf: Let the getIPPColorProfileName() function not
return a pointer to a local variable (clang warning, Issue
- cups-browsed: If a locally generated queue (usually with
"implicitclass://..." URI) left over from a previous
(crashed) session is picked up on startup, do not set the
URI as the remote printer's URI and do not cause a fatal
error on a failed get-printer-attributes IPP request (Issue
#148, Debian bug #939316).
- pdftopdf: Do not preserve encryption, since the output
already goes into the printer (Issue #146, Pull request
CHANGES IN V1.25.4
- imagetoraster: Do not call imagetops and pstoraster for
classifications and page labels as these filters are not
included any more with cups-filters. Classifications and
page labels are currently not supported for direct image
printing, only for PDF or PostScript input (which goes
- imagetoraster, imagetopdf: Fixed auto-rotation of images to
fit output page best (Issue #145).
- pdftoraster: If the PPD contains several equally-sized page
size entries which match the size of the input page and one
is the size selected by the user via the "PageSize" or
"media" option (or the default selection in the PPD) then
prefer this one instead of simply the first matching one.
- pdftoraster: If the input page size cannot be matched with
one of the PPD's page sizes it is considered a custom size,
fill the page size name field of the CUPS Raster header with
- pdftoraster: Match the input page size with a page size in
the PPD only if the differences of the dimensions are less
than 1%, also match the input page size against the
imageable area of the PPD's page sizes if no match with the
full page size is found (Issue #138).
CHANGES IN V1.25.3
- Sample PPDs: In HP-Color_LaserJet_CM3530_MFP-PDF.ppd renamed
"custom" choice of the option "stapleoption" to "customsize"
as from CUPS 2.2.12 on "custom" is not accepted any more as a
choice name in a PPD file.
- cups-browsed: Fixed check whether the remote printer understands
PWG Raster (Issue #141).
CHANGES IN V1.25.2
- foomatic-rip: Fixed segmentation fault when running
foomatic-rip by hand and the PRINTER environment variable is
not set (Pull request #139).
- cups-browsed: Added note to cups-browsed.conf and man page
about IP-based URIs depending on the network interface used.
- cups-browsed: For each DNS-SD-discovered printer register
each DNS-SD discovery instance with network interface,
family, and IPP type. When DNS-SD messages of instances
disappearing show up, only unregister this instance and
remove the printer only if no instance is left. This
prevents a local queue of a still available printer being
removed when Wi-Fi (= one interface) is turned off (Issue
- cups-browsed: If a remote printer is served from the local
machine, prefer the "localhost"/loopback interface URI.
- cups-browsed: If a remote printer is discovered more than
once, use the new instance only if it has no downgrades and
at least one upgrade compared to the old one. Features
currently compared are IPP/IPPS, loopback interface or not,
and discovery via CUPS legacy/LDAP/DNS-SD.
- cups-browsed: If an Avahi-discovered entry comes through the
"lo" interface, always use the host name "localhost". Use
IP addresses instead of host names only if explicitly
- cups-browsed: Consider remote printer entries also as from
the same printer if one has the local machine's network name
and the other "localhost" as host name (Issue #136).
CHANGES IN V1.25.1
- imagetopdf: Fixed crash when no PPD file was supplied (Pull
- pdftoraster: Fixed offset issues leading to segmentation
faults (Issue #131, Pull request #132).
- pdftoraster: Added anti-aliasing for better raster image
quality (Pull request #129).
- pdftoraster: Added graceful handling of zero-page input
(Issue #117, Pull request #127).
CHANGES IN V1.25.0
- pdftoijs, pdftoopvp: Removed these deprecated filters
completely as there is no demand for them any more. They
also used unstable, undocumented APIs of Poppler.
- pdftoraster: Changed from using unstable, undocumented APIs
of Poppler to stable, documented ones, to improve
maintainability of this filter, and with it of the
cups-filters package. Thanks to Tanmay Anand for
contributing this as his Google Summer of Code 2019 project.
- libcupsfilters: Added support for color spaces CMY and RGBW
when using filters without PPD file (mainly for development
and debugging, option "print-color-mode" with values
"cmy-XX" and "rgbw-XX" with XX being the number of bits per
CHANGES IN V1.24.0
- cups-browsed: Integration of Deepak Patankar's Google Summer
of Code 2018 project with the main goal of clustering
different printers and automatically selecting the
destination printers by job content and option/attribute
settings. All changes of this release are done by Deepak as
parts of his project.
- cups-browsed, implicitclass: Support for mixed clusters of
remote CUPS queues and IPP network printers. For this PPD
files of remote CUPS queues are generated by cups-browsed
based on IPP queries, as for native IPP printers, the number
of jobs for load balancing is polled in a way that it works
also with native IPP printers, the implicitclass backend
sends jobs directky to the printer instead of re-queueing
them via CUPS.
- cups-browsed: Merge IPP attributes of several printers to
combined attributes for the cluster to generate the
cluster's PPD file, including PPD constraints for option
combinations not fulfillable by any of the member printers,
and finding reasonable, non-conflicting default settings,
- cups-browsed: Selection algorithm for the destination
printer for a job sent to the cluster. Based on the job
settings requested such as page size, media type, print
quality, ... the best most suitable printer in the cluster
for the job will be selected.
- cups-browsed, implicitclass: Filter jobs to clusters already
locally. Due to the fact that a cluster's member printers
are not exclusively non-raw CUPS queues with the complete
filtering framework on the remote server, but also native
IPP printers, we need to support generic driverless printers
as destination. So we cannot pass on the input data
unfiltered but need to filter locally. We let the cluster's
PPD file emulate a PDF printer, letting the local CUPS queue
of the cluster run pdftopdf and any pre-filters to turn the
input into PDF and we let the implicitclass backend turn PDF
into a format understood by the destination printer,
supporting the 4 formats of driverless IPP printing: PDF,
PWG Raster, Apple Raster, PCLm.
CHANGES IN V1.23.0
- pdftops, mupdftoraster: Let pdftops call mutool directly and
so that it directly outputs PostScript, eliminating the need
to call the mupdftoraster and rastertops filters.
- mupdftoraster: Reduced the use of temporary files from 3 to
- imagetopdf, imagetoraster, pdftopdf: Add support for
print-scaling option (Issue #108, Pull request #118).
CHANGES IN V1.22.6
- rastertops: Fixed PageSize settings in the PostScript output
(Must be in points not in pixels).
- pdftops, mupdftoraster: Produce actual grayscale/monochrome
PostScript (and not only instructions to print grayscale/
monochrome) for jobs to be printed in grayscale/monochrome
(Issue #96, Pull request #115).
- mupdftoraster: Fixed filter not producing output at all.
- Build system: ENABLE_DRIVERLESS got only defined with CUPS
1.6 and newer, not with older CUPS versions (Issue #111).
- pdftopdf, imagetopdf, imagetoraster: Silenced compiler
- cups-browsed, driverless: Replaced httpConnect() calls by
httpConnect2() calls as the former CUPS library function is
- Build system: Compile everything using the CUPS libraries
with '-D_PPD_DEPRECATED=""' for the time being until the
deprecated PPD API calls get replaced, to stop the flooding
with PPD API deprecation warnings making more important
warnings being overlooked.
- cups-browsed: When removing a local queue on shutdown or
when DNS-SD reports the printer as disappeared check whether
the local queue got overwritten by an external process as
sometimes the shutdown or disappearing event comes too close
for cups-browsed receiving a printer-modified notification
from CUPS before (Ubuntu bug #1731417).
CHANGES IN V1.22.5
- foomatic-rip: Changed Ghostscript call to count pages in a
PDF file to use "runpdfbegin" and not the undocumented
Ghostscript internal "pdfdict", so that it works with
Ghostscript 9.27 and later (Debian bug #926576, Arch Linux
CHANGES IN V1.22.4
- cups-browsed: Fix broken trailing space removal on
"NickName" (Pull request #103).
- pdftops: Emit PostScript Level 2 instead of Level 3 for
Brother PostScript printers as at least some of them
report to support level 3 but ontly work with Level 2
(Ubuntu bug #1306849, comment #42).
- bannertopdf: When multiplying the page for N-up or Duplex
printing one page too much was generated (Issue #102).
CHANGES IN V1.22.3
- libcupsfilters: Added error checks for processing GIF, to
avoid crashes or hangs on broken GIF files (Issues #81, #82,
Pull request #100).
- cups-browsed: Added hint to the man page and configuration
file that with "DebugLogging stderr" the logging output goes
to journal or syslog if cups-browsed is running as system
service (Issue #28).
CHANGES IN V1.22.2
- cups-browsed: Let distribution of jobs sent to queues with
"implicitclass" backend (usually clusters) be done by a
"job-state" CUPS notification and not by
"printer-state-changed" any more. The "job-state"
notification already contains the job ID. Before we had to
poll the job ID from CUPS via IPP which was sometimes
unreliable (Issue #97).
- imagetopdf, imagetoraster, pdftopdf, libcupsfilters: Added
new page scaling options: "fill" scales the input page
(typically a photo) so that the output page (typically with
different aspect ratio) gets completely filled, aloowing for
some content of the input page getting lost. "crop-to-fit"
allows for easy printing of documents on slightly different
output page sizes (A4 <-> Letter) maintaining the size and
centering and cropping into the destination page. Thanks to
Dheeraj Yadav (dhirajyadav135 at gmail dot com) for the
patch (Pull request #92).
- cups-browsed: Do not do IPP request for printer-is-shared
option for remote cups queues with CUPS 2.2.x and newer
(Pull request #91).
- cups-browsed: Fix crash bug when reading "Cluster"
directive from configuration file (Issue #94).
- driverless: Updated man page as now also Mopria and
Wi-Fi Direct printers are supported. Mentioned also
CHANGES IN V1.22.1
- braille: Use sort command with LC_ALL=C for reproducibility
of the genrated files, needed for distribution packaging.
- cups-browsed, driverless: When polling the printer's
capabilities via get-printer-attributes IPP request for
driverless printing, use the attributes "all" and
"media-col-database". Without "all" some printers do not
report "urf-supported" and without "media-col-database" not
all paper size and marging info gets reported (Issue #22,
Pull request #86, CUPS issue #5484).
- braille: Document how to rework output before
embossing. Thanks to Samuel Thibault for this patch (Pull
CHANGES IN V1.22.0
- pdftopdf: Use QPDF for flattening interactive PDF forms
(Issues #2, #23, #36, Pull request #88).
- pdftopdf: Fixed bug of closing temporary file prematurely
when external PDF form flattening utilities fail (Thanks to
Tobias Hoffmann for finding this, see pull request #88).
- pdftoopvp: More fixes for building with Poppler 0.72
(Pull request #83, Issue #75).
- pdftoraster, pdftoijs, pdftoopvp: Removed support for
Poppler 0.18 (Pull request #83).
- cups-browsed: Fixed crash in applying the BrowseFilter
cups-browsed.conf directives (Debian bug #916765).
CHANGES IN V1.21.6
- cups-browsed: To find out whether a DNS-SD-discovered
printer is from the local machine, use not only the flags in
the Avahi lookup result but also check the host name.
- cups-browsed: When a local CUPS queue pointing to a remote
CUPS printer was removed and re-created to make it a
permanent queue, on_printer_deleted() was triggered by
cupsd's notification to re-create a lost queue. Now
on_printer_deleted() checks whether the queue is really gone
and only re-creates then (Issue #80).
- cups-browsed: When updating the CUPS queues, also removed
and unregistered queues and not only created queues got
checked for HTTP timeouts, which caused crashes on shutdown
(Issue #79, Debian bug #916149).
- pdftops: Use the PS interpreter of Poppler for all Apple
LaserWriter 16/600, 4/600, 12/640, 12/600, 12/660 as they
all seem to not work with Ghostscript's PS output (Issue
- cups-browsed: On shutdown queues got removed even if they
still had jobs (Debian bug #908147).
CHANGES IN V1.21.5
- cups-browsed: We cannot reliably determine whether a CUPS
queue is temporary, so we apply the procedure to make a
temporary queue permanent to any unshared queue (Debian bugs
#910882, #905850, #908604).
- pdftoraster, pdftopdf, pdftoijs, pdftoopvp: Do not use the
Poppler-specific "GBool", "gFalse", "gTrue" any more, as
Poppler has switched to standard "bool", "false", "true" in
version 0.71.0 (Issue #69).
CHANGES IN V1.21.4
- cups-browsed: Limit the number of retries for
creating a print queue when it comes to HTTP
timeouts. Number of retries given by HttpMaxRetries
directive in cups-browsed.conf. Thanks to Zdenek Dohnal for
the patch (Pull request #73, Red Hat bug #1648697).
- cups-browsed: Read out current time right before setting the
timeouts. Thanks to Zdenek Dohnal for the patch (Pull
request #71, Red Hat bug #1648697).
- libcupsfilters: In the PPD generator for driverless IPP
printing let "*cupsManualCopies: true" lines get added to
the PPD if printing is done in a raster format as then
pdftopdf needs to generate the copies.
- pdftoraster, pdftoopvp, pdftoijs: Fix build with Poppler >=
0.70 (Issue #69, Pull request #70).
- pdftopdf: Fixed printing multiple copies on driverless IPP
printers. When printing collated copies the multiple copies
got applied twice, resulting in n*n instead of n copies
(CUPS issue #5433).
- pdftoraster, pdftoopvp, pdftoijs: Poppler removed memCheck
and gMemReport functions, remove appropriate calls (Issue
#62, Pull request #66).
CHANGES IN V1.21.3
- foomatic-rip: Reset stdin after replacing the underlying file
descriptor (Issue #58).
CHANGES IN V1.21.2
- cups-browsed: Fixed freeing of literal string caused by
Coverity Scan issue fix (Debian bug #907399).
CHANGES IN V1.21.1
- foomatic-rip: Fixed segmentation fault caused by wrong
Coverity Scan issue fix (Issue #57, Debian bug #907026).
- Build system: Require QPDF 8.1.0 or later as it is needed by
bannertopdf (Issue #56).
CHANGES IN V1.21.0
- libcupsfilters, cups-browsed, driverless, foomatic-rip,
parallel: Silenced warnings from newest gcc.
- libcupsfilters: When generating a PPD for driverless
printing on a remote IPP printer, make pdftopdf not being
run by the local queue if the remote queue is a CUPS queue
to avoid running pdftopdf twice (CUPS Issue #5361).
- libcupsfilters, cups-browsed, driverless, bannertopdf,
foomatic-rip, pdftops, pdftoraster, rastertops,
rastertoescpx, sys5ippprinter, beh: Fixed Coverity Scan
issues. Thanks to Zdenek Dohnal (zdohnal at redhat dot com)
for the tests and the patches.
- bannertopdf: Switched over from using Poppler to using QPDF
for generating the PDF pages. With Poppler unstable APIs
were used which were subject to change. Thanks to Sahil
Arora for this project in the Google Summer of Code 2018
(Pull request #25).
- cups-browsed: Manually defined clusters ("Cluster" directive
in cups-browsed.conf) caused cups-browsed to crash.
CHANGES IN V1.20.4
- README: Added link to Issue Tracker on GitHub.
- gstoraster: Removed unneeded "if"s. Thanks to Laurent
Martelli (martellilaurent at gmail dot com) for the patch
(Ghostscript bug #692705).
- cups-browsed: When checking whether there is already a local
print queue with the same URI as the one of the discovered
printer, consider also as equal URI if the URIs only differ
by use of IPP or IPPS and/or use of HTTPS port 443 instead
of IPP port 631.
- cups-browsed: Also upgrade from ipp: to ipps: when the ipps:
URI is on HTTPS port 443 instead of IPP port 631. This is
common on IPP network printers.
- pdftopdf: Removed support for hardware-implemented reversing
of page order in PostScript printers. It was once not
correctly implemented in cups-filters and second, such
printers are extremely rare, and on Gutenprint PPDs with
pseudo OutputOrder option hardware reversing was even
wrongly assumed (Issue #47).
- pdftopdf: Accept option "output-order=normal/reverse" for
reversing page order (Issue #47) and also "page-delivery=
same-order/reverse-order" (CUPS Issue #5340).
- libcupsfilters: Let the PPD generator add "*PageStackOrder
..." lines to the choices of the "OutputBin" option, to
mark which output bins need the pages printed in reverse
order (Issue #47).
- libcupsfilters: Let the PPD generator correctly create a
"*DefaultOutputOrder: ..." entry, depending on whether the
paper is put out face-up or face-down in the default output
bin (Issue #47).
- libcupsfilters: Fixed human-readable name of the OutputBin
option in the PPD generator.
- pdftoopvp: Silence compiler warning (Issue #42).
- cups-browsed: If the user modifies/overwrites a print queue
created by cups-browsed, it will now not only be
automatically released from the control of cups-browsed, but
we also create a replacement for our generated local queue
under a new name.
- cups-browsed: Make URIS for using the implicitclass backend
correctly working also with queue names containing an '@'
- braille: Strengthen error checking (Pull request #41).
- braille: Index: Replace bogus characters with space (Pull
- braille: Add print and braille page number options (Pull
- braille: Index: Use standard duplex cups option (Pull
- cups-browsed: Moved auto-generation of PPD file for IPP
network printers from create_remote_printer_entry()
function to update_cups_queues(). This allows re-creating
accidentally removed or overwritten local queues without
losing the PPD file.
- braille: Add option to pick hyphenation rule according to
current locale and make it the default for second
translation table. Thanks to Samuel Thibault for this patch
(Pull request #38 and #39).
- braille: Remove generated defs on "make clean". Thanks to
Samuel Thibault for this patch (Pull request #38).
- braille: Turn non-breakable spaces to spaces. Thanks to
Samuel Thibault for this patch (Pull request #38 and #39).
- braille: Fix character encoding when extracting text. When
extracing text from a zip file or a pdf, the resulting text
is always utf-8 independently of the original locale, so we
need to force that. Thanks to Samuel Thibault for this patch
(Pull request #38).
- braille: Warn when no text translation was selected in case
the user didn't notice. Thanks to Samuel Thibault for this
patch (Pull request #37).
- braille: Fix spurious spacing after last Form-Feed (Pull
CHANGES IN V1.20.3
- braille: Do not remove read permission on cups-brf. Thanks
to Samuel Thibault for this patch (Pull request #32).
- braille: Get braille table descriptions from liblouis
metadata. Thanks to Samuel Thibault for this patch (Pull
- braille: Select liblouis tables based on metadata before
using file names. Thanks to Samuel Thibault for this patch
(Pull request #30).
- cups-browsed: The new method of identifying remote CUPS
queues via the "printer-type" TXT record field does not work
for printers discovered by legacy CUPS broadcast (CUPS 1.5.x
or older). Now consider also printers without TXT record
(not discovered via DNS-SD) as remote CUPS queues (Issue
- gstoraster: Improved detection whether input is PostScript
or PDF by skipping over possible headers. Thanks to Rod
Schmidt (schmidtrod at q dot com) for the patch.
CHANGES IN V1.20.2
- cups-browsed: If the user modifies/overwrites a print queue
created by cups-browsed, it will now automatically released
from the control of cups-browsed, so the modified queue does
not get removed by cups-browsed on shutdown. (Ubuntu bug
- cups-browsed: The configuration setting
"CreateIPPPrinterQueues LocalOnly" suppressed also the
automatic generation of local queues for remote CUPS
printers whereas this option is only intended for physical
- cups-browsed: Identify remote CUPS queues by the
"printer-type" TXT record entry and not by the
"ipp(s)://<host>/printers/<name>" URIs, there are also IPP
network printers with such URIs (HP LaserJet Professional
M1212nf MFP in Ubuntu bug #1731417).
- .gitignore: Added filter/braille/filters/brftopagedbrf
- cups-browsed, foomatic-rip: Fixed several typos. Thanks to
Didier Raboud for the patches.
CHANGES IN V1.20.1
- libcupsfilters: Silenced warning when using CUPS < 2.x by
eliminating the use of a recently introduced CUPS library
function (Bugzilla bug #1421).
- braille: Fix some missing options on indexv4. Thanks to
Samuel Thibault for this patch (Pull request #21).
- braille: Fix disabling margins on indexv4 in graphic
mode. Thanks to Samuel Thibault for this patch (Pull request
- braille: Fix installation of brftopagedbrf. Thanks to Samuel
Thibault for this patch (Pull request #18, Issue #17).
- cups-browsed: Fixed crash when CUPS reports a print queue
without "device-uri" attribute when cups-browsed polls a
list of local CUPS queues (Issue #16).
CHANGES IN V1.20.0
- libcupsfilters: Let the PPD generator prefer the English
translation file from CUPS for the human-readable strings in
the PPD files.
- libcupsfilters: The PPD generator lists all page sizes with
human-readable names now, including proprietary names of the
- cups-browsed, driverless: Fixed get-printer-attributes call
on driverless printers for generating the PPD, explicitly
requesting the media-col-database attribute as otherwise
borderless page sizes do not appear.
- libcupsfilters: Fixed loading option/choice strings lists
from driverless printers for PPD file generation. Especially
proprietary media types appear correctly now.
- libcupsfilters: Completed color space support in the PPD
generator: Added DeviceGray/RGB/CMYK, default to 8 bit for
SRGB and to 16 bit for AdobeRGB, avoid duplicate listings of
the same color space.
CHANGES IN V1.19.0
- libcupsfilters: Let the PPD generator add the options "Print
Optimization", "Print Rendering Intent" and "Print Scaling"
if appropriate IPP attributes are found.
- libcupsfilters: Let the PPD generator read out the maximum
of info about color spaces and this way not only reliably
the correct choices are added to the ColorModel option but
also the maximum supported bit depth (8 or 16 bit) is used.
- libcupsfilters: Overtaken new features from CUPS' PPD
generator: Presets, Finishing Templates, and extraction of
media sizes from "media-col-database"
- libcupsfilters: Improvements on header of generated PPDs:
use cups-filters version number, "drvless.ppd" PCFileName,
APSupplies and cupsChargeInfoURI from CUPS.
- libcupsfilters: Let the PPD generator use the IPP string
tables in the translation files of CUPS 2.3.x or newer
(English strings only). Let all options in the PPD have
human-readable option and choice names. In case of CUPS
2.2.x or older (or if the CUPS translation are missing) we
fall back to internal tables.
- cups-browsed: Improved debug output when checking IPP
attributes of IPP printers.
- .gitignore: Ignore also core files.
- cups-browsed: Support use of PPD files generated by CUPS for
IPP Printers. Works only if the the local queue created by
cups-browsed replaces a temporary queue from CUPS.
Configurable via "UseCUPSGeneratedPPDs" directive in
CHANGES IN V1.18.0
- braille: Add support for page-ranges option. Thanks to
Samuel Thibault for this patch (Pull request #12).
- braille: Fix supporting docx and LO file names with
spaces. Thanks to Samuel Thibault for this patch (Pull
- .gitignore: Updated and cleaned up.
- Build system: Make sure that "make dist" always includes all
files of the repository, plus the files generated by
./autogen.sh, independent of the system configuration and
the used ./configure options.
- pdftoijs, pdftoopvp: Build pdftoijs and pdftoopvp only on
demand (via "--enable-ijs" and "--enable-opvp" on the
./configure command line). There are actually no known
printer drivers using these filters. If no one complains
about the missing filters they will get completely removed.
- Build system: Set default path for pdftops to
/usr/bin/pdftops also for cross-compiling (Bug #1417).
- cups-browsed: Set "printer-location" as an attribute and not
as an option when creating/updating a CUPS queue (Bug
- braille: Fix handling non-printable characters in BRF
files. Thanks to Samuel Thibault for this patch.
- braille: Fix printing backslashes in BRF files. Thanks to
Samuel Thibault for this patch.
- braille: use application/vnd.cups-brf instead of
text/vnd.cups-brf. Thanks to Samuel Thibault for this patch.
- braille: Make sure liblouis emits pure BRF output. Thanks to
Samuel Thibault for this patch.
- braille: Spaces at the head of lines were not getting
embossed, because bash would eat them in the read
command. IFS allows to avoid the issue. Thanks to Samuel
Thibault for this patch.
- gstoraster: Emit proper error message if Ghostscript is
missing. Thanks to Peter De Wachter (pdewacht at gmail dot
com) for the patch (Bug #1415).
- braille: Old bash does not like quotes, like in '$(("123" +
0))'. Removed unneeded quotes. Thanks to Samuel Thibault for
- braille: Index V5 embossers are compatible with the V4
protocol so we do not need driver changes, we just need to
advertise the support. Thanks to Samuel Thibault for this
CHANGES IN V1.17.9
- cups-browsed: Applying option defaults from the
DefaultOptions directive in cups-browsed.conf got
lost. Re-introduced it (Bug #1414).
- cups-browsed: Get printer-location field from remote
printers. Thanks to Marek Kasik for the patch (Bug #1413).
CHANGES IN V1.17.8
- foomatic-rip: Change execution of renderer thread to fail
whenever any of its individual sub-comands fails. Thanks to
LUUM (luum at chromium dot org) for the patch (Bug #1412).
- foomatic-rip: Parent process now ignores SIGPIPE calls from
upstream/downstream CUPS filters, per
https://www.cups.org/doc/api-filter.html, while correctly
noting child process failures and exiting
accordingly. Thanks to LUUM (luum at chromium dot org) for
the patch (Bug #1412).
- Build system: Fixed typo which broke the
"--enable-gs-ps2write" ./configure command line option (Bug
CHANGES IN V1.17.7
- braille: Add a mirror option for graphical output. Thanks to
Samuel Thibault for this patch.
- braille: Rename the internal cups name of the Resize option
to the standard well-known and well-documented fitplot
option. Thanks to Samuel Thibault for this patch.
- braille: Add support for margins in graphical mode,
defaulting them to 15 points (a bit more than 5mm). Thanks
to Samuel Thibault for this patch.
- braille: Updated French translation. Thanks to Samuel
Thibault for this patch.
- braille: Add a PPD which generates UBRL output, i.e. Braille
expressed in Unicode. This is not useful for actual
embossers, but very convenient to check output to be
embossed without wasting paper. Thanks to Samuel Thibault
for this patch.
- braille: Add virtual BRF backend for generating
ready-to-emboss BRF files with CUPS, similarly to the
cups-pdf backend. Thanks to Samuel Thibault for this patch.
- braille: Some tools seem to emit true/false instead of
True/False, so let us cope with it. Thanks to Samuel
Thibault for this patch.
- braille: "make uninstall" did not remove all the
links. Thanks to Samuel Thibault for this patch.
- braille: Add support for embossing MusicXML files, through
the FreeDots transcriptor. Thanks to Samuel Thibault for
- braille: Add proper support for hardware margins on braille
embossers. Thanks to Samuel Thibault for this patch.
- braille: Fix the disabling of the text margins in Index
graphics mode. Thanks to Samuel Thibault for this patch.
- braille: Support for direct, structured embossing of XML and
XML-based file formats (like odt, docx, ...). Thanks to
Samuel Thibault for this patch.
CHANGES IN V1.17.6
- braille: Embossers can only emboss integer numbers of 2x4
cells. Thanks to Samuel Thibault for this patch.
- braille: In Index graphical mode we need to disable the text
margins, since they come in earlier on the way to
there. Thanks to Samuel Thibault for this patch.
- braille: Also, we should always add a 1.6mm margin for
taking into account the width of dots. Thanks to Samuel
Thibault for this patch.
CHANGES IN V1.17.5
- libcupsfilters: In the PPD generator for driverless printing
renamed the "print-quality" option back to
"cupsPrintQuality" as the support for this option got fixed
in CUPS (CUPS issue #5090).
- braille: Improvements on the braille support for bitmap
images: Moves the graphical dot distance option to the image
conversion group, add an option to avoid image resize, and
make the rotation option easier by proposing to just fit
paper instead of fitting portrait or landscape. Thanks to
Samuel Thibault for this patch.
- braille: Support for embossing vector images as braille.
Thanks to Samuel Thibault for this patch.
- braille: Fix liblouis1.defs installation. Thanks to Samuel
Thibault for this fix.
CHANGES IN V1.17.4
- pdftopdf: If the input PDF file contains an interactive
form, flatten it to static PDF so that further manipulation,
like scaling, number-up, ... do not let the filled for
content getting lost. This is implemented by using the
pdftocairo utility of Poppler and if this fails Ghostscript
(9.22 or later recommended). This will probably replaced by
a QPDF-based solution later. Thanks to Tobias Hoffmann for
the QPDF-based detection of PDF forms (Bug #1315, Ubuntu bug
CHANGES IN V1.17.3
- bannertopdf: Make it working also with Poppler 0.58.0 and
newer (Bug #1408).
- gstoraster, pdftops, foomatic-rip: Added "-dShowAcroForm" to
all Ghostscript command lines where the input data format
can be PDF. With this and the fix of Ghostscript bug
#698461 most filled PDF forms should be rendered correctly
by Ghostscript now.
- libcupsfilters: Do not check maximum resolutions of
raster-based PDLs, as implementation was incorrect and
reliability of PDLs is more important than maximum
CHANGES IN V1.17.2
- rastertopdf: Fixed outstanding bug in PCLm with JPEG (DCT)
compression. Now PCLm support is completely working.
CHANGES IN V1.17.1
- libcupsfilters: Added direct PNG printing to the PPD
generator, the one of CUPS has it, too.
- libcupsfilters: In the PPD file generator renamed the option
"cupsPrintQuality" into the IPP name "print-quality" as CUPS
does not update the "print-quality=4" entry in the filter
command line based on the setting of "cupsPrintQuality"
(CUPS issue #5090).
- libcupsfilters: Completely redone the way how to determine
the resolutions to use for the default resolution and print
quality option in the PPDs generated for IPP
printers. Resolution lists from IPP attributes are now read
into sorted, duplicate-free lists with wrong resolutions
removed or fixed. Resolutions actually used are the common
ones between the supported PDLs, PDls with inferior maximum
resolution or with broken resolution list are skipped
(Debian bug #868360, Ubuntu bug #1712019, CUPS issue #5088,
CUPS issue #5091).
- rastertopdf: Prefer RLE compression instead of Flate as
there are HP printers where Flate is buggy.
- Build system: Fixed help mesage for "--enable-driverless"
configure option (Bug #1405).
CHANGES IN V1.17.0
- rastertopdf, rastertopclm, driverless, cups-browsed,
libcupsfilters: Added support for the PCLm output format for
driverless printing on printers using Wi-Fi Direct and other
driverless printing standards.
printers. This is the Google Summer of Code 2017 project of
Sahil Arora (sahilarora dot 535 at gmail dot com). Thank you
very much for your great work! The PCLm support requires
QPDF 7.0.0 or later.
CHANGES IN V1.16.4
- Build system: Switched over to C11 standard with GNU
- Build system: Removed -pedantic flag as it is only needed
for compatibility with commercial compilers like the ones of
Windows (and we use GNU extensions anyway).
- libfontembed, texttopdf: reverted removal of anonymous
CHANGES IN V1.16.3
- libfontembed: Reverted unneeded soname change.
CHANGES IN V1.16.2
- README: Minimum CUPS requirement of cups-filters is CUPS
1.4.x. It does not build with earlier CUPS versions (Bug
- driverless, foomatic-rip: Create relative symbolic links.
- All C/C++ files: Silenced all compiler warnings, at least
the ones appearing when building on Ubuntu Linux 17.10 with
- README: Updated the introduction section to reflect the
current functionality of cups-filters, and the build
requirements for the Poppler-based filters (C++11: Bug
#1404, Build configuration of Poppler: Bug #1257). Thanks to
Roland Hieber (r dot hieber at pengutronix dot de) to find
out about this.
- pdftoopvp, bannertopdf, pdftoraster: Build with C++11
standard as some features of this standard are needed by
these filters (or by Poppler). Thanks to Roland Hieber (r
dot hieber at pengutronix dot de) for the patch (Bug #1404).
CHANGES IN V1.16.1
- cups-browsed: Make timeouts for HTTP access to the local
CUPS daemon and remote IPP printers configurable. Thanks to
Cedric Dufour (cedric dot dufour at idiap dot ch) for the
patch (Bug #1387, Debian bug #852436).
- texttopdf: Allow bold and underline formatting to be used
together when using "prettyprint". Thanks to Michael Moran
(vampm at comcast dot net) for the patch.
- texttopdf: Allow to alter margins, and chars/lines per Inch
when using "prettyprint". Thanks to Michael Moran (vampm at
comcast dot net) for the patch.
- texttopdf: When "prettyprint" is used, do not drop out of
C/shell comment mode too early. Thanks to Michael Moran
(vampm at comcast dot net) for the patch.
- cups-browsed: Additional NULL checks for description and
- cups-browsed: Fixed crash which happens when using
BrowsePoll (Debian bug #723835).
CHANGES IN V1.16.0
- cups-browsed: Let elements in arrays get stacked up in the
order they are added, before, they were in the order how
they are positioned in memory. This especially led to a
random order of printer cluster definitions and of
command-line-supplied configuration options.
- cups-browsed: On shutdown not all locally created queues got
- cups-browsed: Added support for manual definition of
load-balancing printer clusters via the "Cluster" directive
CHANGES IN V1.15.0
- cups-browsed: Removed the function to compare printer entries
for sorting the printer entry list. This led to corruption
of the list and so to crashes.
- cups-browsed: Fixed crashes when many printers (especially
all printers of a load-balanced cluster) are removed at once.
- cups-browsed: Log the full list of handled remote printers
whenever one is added or removed.
- cups-browsed: Renamed the handle_cups_queues() function to
update_cups_queues() to better reflect what it is doing.
- cups-browsed: When clustering remote CUPS printers together
do not call them duplicates but slaves asigned to a master.
- cups-browsed: Log the error if the network interface name of
a DNS-SD event could not be determined.
- cups-browsed: Simplified printer entry removal procedure.
- cups-browsed: Log memeber printer list of a printer cluster
(implicit class) when a member printer is added or removed.
- cups-browsed: Removed superfluous (and not correctly
working) duplicate counter from the remote printer entry
- cups-browsed: Add "AutoClustering" directive to
cups-browsed.conf to turn on and off automatically
clustering equally named local print queues which point to
remote CUPS printers. When automatic clustering is turned
off, queue name clashes are prevented by adding "@<server
name>" to local queue names based on the remote queue name
or on make and model.
- cups-browsed: Skip callback functions and the CUPS queue
creation/update/removal loop when cups-browsed is terminated
by a SIGTERM signal. This avoids hanging on shutdown. Thanks
to Edgar Fuss (ef at math dot uni-bonn dot de, Bug #1402).
- libcupsfilters: Added some fallbacks for incorrect
resolution IPP attributes on IPP network printers (Debian
- pdftoopvp: Added missing "#include <math.h>" needed for
cross-compiling for arm-v7a-linux-gnueabi (Bug #1232).
- cups-browsed: Prevent the creation of two remote printer
entries for two IPP network printers or an IPP network
printer and a remote CUPS printer with the same local queue
name. This could easily happen with make/model-based naming.
- cups-browsed: Added the possibility to optionally not
create local queues for remote printers for which CUPS
(from 2.2.x on) auto-creates queues by itself (DNS-SD
advertised driverless printers).
- cups-browsed: Removed repeated code for clean-up when
generate_local_queue() function fails.
- cups-browsed: Take care of CUPS' temporary queues. Do not
consider them when checking whether a queue with the same
name as the one we are creating already exists and make
temporary queues permanent (or remove them) before
overwriting them with our local queue.
- cups-browsed: Make the naming scheme for locally created
print queue configurable, especially allow for naming based
on the DNS-SD service name (now default) as this is the same
scheme as CUPS uses for its temporary queues. This way we
prevent CUPS creating temporary queues when cups-browsed is
already creating a queue.
- cups-browsed: Do not add "APRemoteQueueID" keyword to the
local queue's PPD file if the queue is for an IPP network
- cups-browsed: Skip multiple browse entries for the same
printer with interface alias addresses. Thanks to Edgar
Fuss (ef at math dot uni-bonn dot de, Bug #1399).
- cups-browsed: Improved support for Description (Info) and
Location fields of remote CUPS queues. Thanks to Edgar Fuss
(ef at math dot uni-bonn dot de, Bug #1398).
- cups-browsed: Renamed variable names for better code
readability. Thanks to Edgar Fuss (ef at math dot uni-bonn
dot de, Bug #1398).
- cups-browsed: Additional NULL checks in the
create_local_queue() function. Thanks to Edgar Fuss (ef at
math dot uni-bonn dot de, Bug #1398).
CHANGES IN V1.14.1
- cups-browsed: Do correct removal of printer entry handling
duplicates correctly also when a legacy CUPS-broadcasted
printer disappears or a printer remaining from the last
session does not appear again.
- cups-browsed: Use getline() instead of fgets() to read saved
option settings. This is less crash-prone (Ubuntu bug
- cups-browsed: Improved error logging when saving option
- cups-browsed: Added NULL checks for generate_local_queue()
and create_local_queue() functions.
- cups-browsed: When accessing local CUPS queues use always
the correct port of the CUPS daemon we are attached to.
- cups-browsed: Check whether a connection to the local CUPS
daemon actually happened before using it (Ubuntu bug
- cups-browsed: Set unused fields of printer record to NULL
when tranfering data from the record of a duplicate printer
to the record of a disappeared one.
- cups-browsed: Simplify removal of all queues on shutdown or
stop of Avahi.
- cups-browsed: When creating a record for a discovered
printer set it all zero before filling it in, to assure
that no field is in an undefined state.
- cups-browsed: All functions which are called via Glib
functions or otherwise event-triggered log now in which
thread they are running. This way one can see whether
problems can be caused by concurrent access to global
- cups-browsed: Do not check whether the DNS-SD event is from
the local machine in the browse_callback() function. We
cannot check the port here.
- cups-browsed: Added more NULL checks to Avahi callback
- cups-browsed: Added NULL check to avoid crashes in the Avahi
resolver callback (Ubuntu bug #1696967).
- libcupsfilters: Let PPD generator do case-insensitive
comparisons for PWG Raster color spaces, as some printers
(Epson) do not use the standard-conforming all-lowercase
form for them (CUPS Issue #4998).
CHANGES IN V1.14.0
- cups-browsed: When a printer is discovered via DNS-SD on the
"lo" (loopback) interface the printer is not reliably
accessible through the reported host name (which is the
network host name of the local machine). Until this problem
is fixed in Avahi, we create queues for such printers with a
URI based on the IP address. This is a workaround until
Avahi fully supports the "lo" interface.
- cups-browsed: Added new setting "LocalOnly" for the
CreateIPPPrinterQueues in cups-browsed.conf. With this new
setting (which is the default from now on) only for local
printers made available as IPP printers (like IPP-over-USB
printers with ippusbxd) queues are auto-created. With this
we can follow the common standard of distributions where USB
printers are automatically set up and network printers not.
- cups-browsed: Fixes and improvements in comments and debug
messages: 1. Bonjour -> DNS-SD; 2. When a remote CUPS class
is discovered, tell that it is a class; 3. Show network
interface and IPv4/IPv6 when a DNS-Sd service appears or
- cups-browsed: Added ./configure script option
"--enable-auto-setup-driverless" to let cups-browsed
automatically set up IPP network printers by default.
CHANGES IN V1.13.5
- foomatic-rip: When called via the utility cupsfilter from
CUPS, foomatic-rip was not able to read the PPD file with
the file name supplied as environment variable PPD (Bug
- driverless: Improved error message output.
- libcupsfilters: Fixed error handling of the PPD file
generator for driverless printing, so that callers get
decent error messages.
- libcupsfilters: Do not generate a PPD file where the only
output data format is JPEG, as JPEG does not support
- libcupsfilters: Let PPD generator skip broken page size
records and add warnings for debugging to the PPD.
- libcupsfilters: Updated PPD generator to match with the
current GIT state of the one of CUPS.
- braille: Automatically select a table according to the
- braille: Update for liblouis table list.
- braille: Added support for text margins.
- cups-browsed: When creating a local queue for a remote CUPS
printer, add the line '*APRemoteQueueID: ""' to the PPD file
so that CUPS sets the CUPS_PRINTER_REMOTE bit for the
printer type of the local queue (Bug #1386).
CHANGES IN V1.13.4
- libcupsfilters: Let PPD generator for driverless printing
not error out when there is no urf-supported or
pwg-raster-document-resolution-supported IPP attribute,
simply accept the default resolution also from the
printer-resolution-default attribute or set a default value
of 300 dpi to get a working PPD file.
- cups-browsed: Do not use deprecated names for IPP status
- cups-browsed: Corrected determination whether an IPP status
is an error, to avoid "Unable to create/modify CUPS queue
(Success)" and infinite repetition of a succeeded operation
(Debian bug #852436).
CHANGES IN V1.13.3
- libcupsfilters: When auto-generating PPD files added support
for passing through JPEG input to printers which understand
JPEG. This is also done in CUPS-generated PPDs (Debian bug
- libcupsfilters: Added the "output-bin" option support from
CUPS' PPD generator to our PPD generator (CUPS Issue #4938).
- cups-browsed: Make support for printers with IPv6 IP address
work. Both link-local and regular addresses work.
CHANGES IN V1.13.2
- cupsfilters.drv: Corrected cupsFilter entry for the "Generic
IPP Everywhere Printer".
- driverless: Fixes on the man page (Debian bug #849075).
- driverless: Do not error-exit (non-zero status) when run by
CUPS as backend or PPD generator when no driverless printer
is found or Avahi not running. When run from thr command
line, exit status is the same as of ippfind.
- imagetoraster: Removed (incomplete) PWG Raster support. For
PWG Raster output we let the rastertopwg filter from CUPS do
the finalization (mainly adding white pixels at the borders
to get a full-page bitmap).
- imagetoraster: Fixed several bugs in the calculation of the
page geometry (Debian bug #849380).
- libcupsfilters: If the IPP-polled printer has the
"sides-supported" attribute, determine the need of a
"Duplex" option solely whether the attribute has a
"two-sided-long-edge" choice and ignore the "duplex"
parameter of the ppdCreateFromIPP() function call. This lets
the more precise information coming from the IPP query
always be preferred against information from the Bonjour
- driverless: When listing printers let the device ID contain
"AppleRaster" (for Apple Raster printers) and "PWGRaster"
(for IPP Everywhere printers) in the "CMD" field.
- driverless: Added "-T 3" to the ippfind command line. This
makes ippfind search the Bonjour broadcasts for up to 3
seconds when searching for IPP printers, raising the
reliability in finding all of them (Debian bug #848712).
CHANGES IN V1.13.1
- cups-browsed: Avoid erroring out when restarting after a
crash (with generated queues not deleted due to the crash)
and the configuration option
CreateRemoteCUPSPrinterQueues=No being set.
- cups-browsed: If CUPS is stopped while cups-browsed is
running and there are queue for IPP network printers (not
remote CUPS queues) on restart of CUPS the still existing
local CUPS queue is not correctly re-connected with
cups-browsed and therefore gets removed after a
timeout. This should be fixed after a clean-up of
re-connecting with remaining queues from a previous session
(Debian bug #848223).
- cups-browsed: Generated queues did not get removed on
shutdown (Debian bug #848167).
- libcupsfilters: Let PPD generator for driverless printing
suppress page sizes which the printer reports more than
once (CUPS Issue #4933).
- driverless, libcupsfilters: Make "driverless list" output
and output of driverless as CUPS backend in discovery mode
add the word "driverless" to its output, to make it easier
to set up driverless printers with printer setup tools.
Made the NickName of the generated PPDs also match with the
"driverless list" output.
CHANGES IN V1.13.0
- cups-browsed: Use the httpGetAddr() only with CUPS 2.0.x or
newer, as older CUPS versions do not provide it (Bug #1381).
- cups-browsed: Minor corrections in the handling of the data
records of the discovered printers.
- rastertopdf, urftopdf: As with libcupsimage from CUPS 2.2.2
on rastertopdf also understands Apple Raster and much better
than urftopdf does, use rastertopdf for Apple Raster
(image/urf) input files then. Also allow for manually
choosing by the ./configure command line.
- driverless: Added a CUPS backend mode to the driverless
utility. Running as a CUPS backend in discovery mode it
lists the IPP URIs of the suitable printers in printer setup
tools and in "lpinfo -v", as conneting via IPP is required
for driverless printing.
CHANGES IN V1.12.0
- cups-browsed: Added new "CreateRemoteCUPSPrinterQueues"
directive to cups-browsed.conf, which allows to decide
whether to auto-create local print queues for shared CUPS
queues on remote machines. This way one can also set up
servers which only create queues for IPP network printers.
- driverless: Added new /usr/lib/cups/driver/driverless
utility to make CUPS auto-generate PPD files for printers
designed for driverless use (IPP Everywhere, Apple Raster)
when they are set up with a printer setup tool. This gives
transparency to set up these printers with legacy printer
setup tools. This utility is also linked to /ustr/bin to
manually generate PPDs via command line.
- libcupsfilters, cups-browsed: Moved the PPD generator for
IPP network printers from cups-browsed to libcupsfilters, so
that it can also be used by other utilities.
- cups-browsed: When auto-generating a PPD set the cost values
in the filter lines to give the highest priority to PDF,
then PWG Raster, Apple Raster, PCL-XL, PostScript, PCL 5c/e.
- cups-browsed: Synced the PPD generator with the one of CUPS,
giving the best possible support for IPP Everywhere and
AirPrint printers. Especially support for more media types
and for finishing units got added. Also support for more
different ways to represent the printer capabilities via
IPP attributes got added.
- cups-browsed: Added support for auto setup of IPP printers
understanding the Apple Raster input data format (.urf, on
AirPrint printers), only if CUPS 2.2.2 is used, which can
generate this format via its rastertopwg filter.
- cups-browsed: Added new "NewIPPPrinterQueuesShared"
directive to cups-browsed.conf, which allows to decide
whether the auto-created local print queue for a newly
discovered IPP network printer will be shared or not. For
printers discovered earlier, cups-browsed remembers the
- cups-browsed: If a user changes the printer-is-shared bit of
an auto-created print queue for an IPP network printer (not
for a remote CUPS queue), record this fact and recover the
change when creating this queue in the next session.
- cups-browsed: For automatic creation of print queues for IPP
network printers also allow only creating queues for IPP
Everywhere printers, only for Apple Raster printers, or for
both printer types designed for driverless printing and not
only for all suitable printers, configurable via the
CreateIPPPrinterQueues directive in cups-browsed.conf.
CHANGES IN V1.11.6
- pdftops: Do not default to simply "pdftops" when calling the
Poppler pdftops utility, as the $PATH of CUPS when running
filters/backends starts with /usr/lib/cups/filter/ and then
pdftops would call itself (Bug #1380).
CHANGES IN V1.11.5
- cups-browsed: Fixed several typos in the documentation (Bug
- gstoraster, mupdftoraster, pdftops, sys5ippprinter: Use
execvp() and execvpe() to call programs so that the $PATH
environment variable gets used to find the programs (Bug
- build system: Several fixes, especially to make it work when
cross-compiling or using a build server (Bug #1378).
- cups-browsed: Silenced a warning.
- cups-browsed: For remote CUPS queues with a dot in their
name no local queue got created (Bug #1379).
- pdftopdf: Do the page logging also for IPP Everywhere
printers which use the PWG Raster data format as the
...toraster filters being the last filter then do not log.
- gstoraster, pdftoraster: Let filters generate PWG Raster if
the environment variable FINAL_CONTENT_TYPE is set to
image/pwg-raster, make sure full-page bitmaps are generated
in PWG_raster mode, and added mime conversion rules for
direct PWG Raster output.
- cups-browsed: Corrected checking of the PDLs of an IPP network
printer. Now PCL 5c/e printers (not HP inkjets) should get
- texttopdf: Added missing NULL check to avoid a segfault when
texttopdf does not find a suitable (monospace TTF) font.
- foomatic-rip: Replace old manpage macro calls from
- cups-browsed: Allow changing BrowseInterval and
BrowseTimeout via cups-browsed.conf, as it was formerly with
CUPS (Debian bug #794655).
- pdftopdf: Count the actual output pages also if the
number-up option is not used, to correctly find out whether
we have an even or odd number of pages, even if the
page-ranges option is used. This is needed to correctly
decide whether for duplex printing a blank page has to be
added (Bug #1377).
CHANGES IN V1.11.4
- gstoraster: Allow Ghostscript to use the center-of-pixel
method instead of the PostScript-standard any-part-of-pixel
method when rendering filled paths. This improves the
graphics output quality of low-resolution printers like
label printers, for example to assure readability of bar
codes (Bug #1373).
- cups-browsed: Fixes to avoid unneeded calls of
handle_cups_queues() and even infinite loops (Possible fix
for bug #1376). Also make sure that queues left over from
the previous cups-browsed session are integrated correctly.
CHANGES IN V1.11.3
- cups-browsed: If a queue is not only discovered via Bonjour
but also via legacy CUPS or LDAP, prefer the Bonjour record
as it provides more information and there is also a defined
- cups-browsed: Let PPD options saved in the last session also
get applied to generated PPDs for IPP network printers.
- cups-browsed: Make sure that saved PPD options do not get
lost if for some reason the PPD file cannot be loaded in a
new cups-browsed session (or the loaded PPD file is
different). This is done by holding a copy of the settings
in the remote printer data structure.
- cups-browsed: When saving option settings, remove
backslashes added when the settings are read out via IPP
request. Otherwise the backslashes would double with each
session of cups-browsed.
- implicitclass: Do not let the job get immediately retried on
failure to send it out to the remote CUPS printer. By
repeating to send the job to an unavailable server so
quickly, cups-browsed gets bombed with requests and hangs on
- cups-browsed: Shortened timeouts of HTTP connections and IPP
requests to 3 seconds amd of IPP requests to remote CUPS
servers to 2 seconds. For local IPP requests always use the
connection once created via http_connect_local(). Also call
g_main_context_wakeup(NULL) after each
g_main_loop_quit(gmainloop) call. These measures should
reduce long hangs of cups-browsed on shutdown when a CUPS
server got unavailable.
- cups-browsed: Do not mark remote printers discovered via
legacy CUPS broadcasts as disappeared right from the
beginning to implement the browse timeout. Instead manage
their expiring by introducing a flag which marks them as
CUPS legacy printers. Printers with disappeared status are
considered invalid in some situations, especially when
clusterin equally-named remote printers (Bug #1374).
- cups-browsed: When we have remote CUPS printers, we use the
implicitclass backend and a local copy of the remote PPD
file already if we have only a single remote printer with
this queue name. This simplifies the management of remote
CUPS printers and also we do not hassle with using a remote
PPD file. Now one can change PPD option defaults with
printer setup tools or the lpadmin command and they get
preserved in the next cups-browsed sessions.
- if we are using the implicitclass backend CUPS does not make
the server's PPD file available on the client any more. To
fix this, we download the PPD file when creating an
implictclass:... queue and apply it to the queue. This way
the options of the printer(s) are always available for
enumeration, especially in print dialogs (Bug #1372). We
modify the local copy setting any options saved from the
previous session and inhibiting local execution of filters
(as the driver for the remote printer is not necessarily
- cups-browsed: Added flag to inhibit auto-backup of option
settings by the on_printer_modified() notification handler
during print queue setup and removal.
- cups-browsed: Let the printer_record() function always
return the master record for the printer name and not an
- cups-browsed: Fixes in the functionality for saving option
settings: Make sure to not save the same option twice with
different values, do not save the "printer-is-shared" option
(errors out when re-applying option in the next session).
- cups-browsed: Treat discovered printers correctly also if
they use a non-standard port, even if several CUPS daemons
are running on the same server but on different ports. This
also improves the support of a sandboxed printing stack.
- cups-browsed: Close http connections opened for polling
properties of IPP network printers, to fix a possible memory
- cups-browsed: Cleaned up HTTP access to local and remote
CUPS servers and IPP printers, to assure that the local CUPS
daemon is always accessed the same (user-defined) way
(domain socket/localhost:port). This especially prevents
cups-browwsed hanging on shutdown (Debian bug #832637).
- cups-browsed: Fixed clustering equally-named queues of
different remote servers, to assure to have one master
referencing to all duplicates and not a daisy chain of
CHANGES IN V1.11.2
- cups-browsed: Allow turning off the use of CUPS' domain
socket via cups-browsed.conf.
- foomatic-rip: When run as regular CUPS filter use preferably
/etc/cups/foomatic-rip.conf (or whereever the CUPS
configuration files reside, according to the CUPS_SERVERROOT
environment variable) as configuration file. This way we can
more easily run the printing stack in a sandbox.
- foomatic-rip: When run as regular CUPS filter, read the PPD
through CUPS and get the print queue name by environment
- bannertopdf, foomatic-rip, gstoraster, mupdftoraster,
pdftoopvp, pdftoraster: Do not use build-time hard-coded
paths, but always the paths from the environment variables
which CUPS sets when calling its filters. This is needed to
run the printing stack in a sandbox.
CHANGES IN V1.11.1
- mupdftoraster: Lowered the priority (raised the cost value)
in the cupsfilters-mupdf.convs file so that in a full
cups-filters installation MuPDF is not prioritized.
CHANGES IN V1.11.0
- pdftops: Added support for MuPDF as PDF renderer. MuPDF can
be selected by the "pdftops-renderer=mupdf" option.
- rastertops: Removed unneeded page logging.
- rastertops: Fixed DSC comments, some were only preceded by
a single '%' instead of a double "%%".
- gstoraster, pdftops, foomatic-rip: Use -dNOMEDIAATTRS when
calling Ghostscript. This way Ghostscript does not try to
match media sizes with internal lists.
- Build system: Allow building cups-filters without Poppler
(--disable-poppler in ./configure command line) This skips
the build of pdftoraster, bannertopdf, pdftoijs, and
pdftoopvp and the installation of these filters and their
auxiliary files. With this cups-filters can be easily
installed on mobile/appliance systems with MuPDF as the only
- mupdftoraster: Added filter to support MuPDF as PDF
interpreter. MuPDF is a lightweight PDF interpreter
especially interesting for mobile systems and
appliances. Thanks to Pranjal Bhor for contributing this as
part of his Google Summer of Code project.
- gstoraster: Fix setting of width and height of the page in
pixels when there is no Resolution option in the PPD.
- cups-browsed, implicitclass: Avoid the use of files for the
communication between cups-browsed and the load-balancing
backend implicitclass. Instead of in a file, cups-brwsed
stores the destination server name in an option (which CUPS
saves in printers.conf) which the implicitclass backend
reads via IPP. This not only makes it easier to run
cups-filters in a sandbox, but it is also better in terms of
- cups-browsed: Allow configuring where the files produced by
cups-browsed will get stored. This makes it easier to run
cups-filters in a sandbox.
- beh: Fixed printing multiple copies with beh (Ubuntu bug
- cups-browsed: Fixed several memory leaks, especially when
using IPP requests and DNS-SD TXT record look-ups. Thanks to
Ivo Straka for finding them with Valgrind and supplying
patches to fix them (Bug #1365, Bug #1368, Ubuntu bug
- libcupsfilters: Added missing "#include <cups/ppd.h>" to
make sure that the package builds on all systems (Bug
CHANGES IN V1.10.0
- texttotext: Added new filter for text-only printers written
in C, to use the CUPS library to access the print queue's
PPD file, with a lot of options to fit practically all
printer models amd paper sizes, support for CUPS' page
management options, and support for configuring the print
queue and controlling the options by the PPD file. The PPD
is now generated on-the-fly by cupsfilters.drv.
- textonly: Removed the old script-based filter and its PPD
for text-only printers.
- rastertops: Added new filter to turn PWG Raster into
PostScript, in preparation for MuPDF support. Thanks to
Pranjal Bhor for contributing this as part of his Google
Summer of Code project.
- gstoraster, gstopxl, gstopdf, pstopdf: Integrated
functionality of script-based filters pstopdf and gstopxl
into gstoraster filter as script-based filters cannot access
the print queue's PPD file with current CUPS due to change
of PPD file permissions. To make gstoraster always produce
the correct output format (CUPS/PWG Raster, PDF, PCL-XL) it
is called via new wrapper scripts (gstopdf, gstopxl) which
set an environment variable telling the format. The old
filter scripts got removed.
- imagetops, texttops: Do not use $0 in the wrapper scripts,
when CUPS calls filters, it passes the queue name as $0, not
path and name of the called filter.
- cups-browsed: When creating local queues for discovered IPP
network printers always create PPD files and if the
information supplied by the printer via IPP is insufficient
use information from the DNS-SD entry or default values
suitable for most printers. Use System V interface scripts
only on explicit request in cups-browsed.conf. This change
is to address the fact that System V interface script
support is removed from CUPS 2.2.x and later for security
- pstopdf: Make the filter only get installed if Ghostscript is
present and also moved its conversion rules into the
- cups-browsed: Fixed crash when trying to get debugg logging
both to the terminal and into a file.
- libcupsfilters: Fixed crash of pdftoraster when the color
space is an RGB space (3 colors) with 1 bit color
depth. Here we need to add one bit to the pixels (to get 4
bits per pixel) to align the pixels with the bytes.
- cups-browsed: From cups-browsed.service removed the unneeded
"Wants=cups.service" as we have "Requires=cups.service"
(Debian bug #827455, #827457).
- foomatic-rip: Updated man page for removed page logging
- pdftops: Also added Dell to the list of manufacturers whose
printers need Poppler's PostScript to work around their
PostScript interpreter bugs (Debian bug #827040).
CHANGES IN V1.9.0
- foomatic-rip: Removed page logging via insertion of PostScript code.
This works only with Ghostscript and PostScript input and even
then it can break things or simply not work. We do the page logging
for foomatic-rip in pdftopdf now, which is more universal and more
- sys5ippprinter: Added page logging (to /var/log/cups/page_log)
- pdftopdf: Added functionality for logging pages in the
/var/log/cups/page_log file. Logging can also be forced or
surpressed via command line (page-logging=on/off/auto) and
page logging is also done for filters which should do but
actually do not do: foomatic-rip, gstopxl, hpps (CUPS issue #4798,
Ubuntu bug #1585380).
- pdftopdf: Whitespace and indentation clean-up.
- README: Removed the documentation of the old Poppler-based pdftopdf
filter which is not included any more.
- cups-browsed: Do not schedule failed operations for later repetition
- cups-browsed: Added support for debug logging into a file (usually
/var/log/cups/cups-browsed_log, to be activated via "-l" or
"--logfile" option or via "DebugLogging file" option in
- cups-browesd: Consistent use of debug_printf() in the LDAP support.
- cups-browsed: Added "Requires=cups-service" to the
cups-browsed.service file, so that systemd keeps CUPS running while
shutting down cups-browsed on system shutdown (Ubuntu bug #1579905).
- README: Extended pdftopdf's documentation.
- README: Added documentation for the pdfAutorotate option in
- gstoraster: Treat status output of the waitpid() function properly,
to avoid gstoraster exiting with zero status when Ghostscript
exited with non-zero status or got terminated by a signal
- README: Fixed typos. Thanks to Pranjal Bhor (bhor dot pranjal at
gmail dot com) for the patch.
- braille: Recognize application/vnd.cups-pdf-banner MIME type and
read standard input directly instead of using /dev/stdin.
- braille: Drop output of the "type" command when checking the
presence of helper utilities.
- braille: Do not send EOF twice to the braille embosser.
- cups-browsed/sys5ippprinter: Fixed documentation about the allowed
input formats for auto-created network printer queues using
sys5ippprinter, also improved NEWS entry about renaming of
sys5ippprinter (Debian bug #819665).
CHANGES IN V1.8.3
- cups-browsed: When creating or modifying a local print queue
set the printer-is-shared bit to false in a separate IPP
request as this operation errors on queues directly pointing
to remote CUPS queues with the IPP backend. This way we can
ignore the error and assure that all other settings are
applied (Ubuntu bug #1560099).
- Fixed pkg-config support so that $PKG_CONFIG gets used and
cross compilation works (Bug #1347).
- gstoraster: Put conversion rules for this filter into a
separate file, so that they do not get installed when we
build without Ghostscript support (Bug #1346).
- Allow disabling dependencies on IJS (Bug #1345).
- pdftops: Switch to Poppler as PDF renderer also for the
Apple LaserWriter 12/640, to work around a bug in the
printer's PostScript interpreter (Bug #1344).
CHANGES IN V1.8.2
- Allow disabling dependencies on Ghostscript and Foomatic
- cups-browsed: Optionally generate also local queues pointing
to remote raw queues. Usually only queues pointing to remote
queues with PPD/driver are created (Debian bug #814020,
Debian bug #756724).
CHANGES IN V1.8.1
- cups-browsed: Do not disable queues which still have jobs (and
therefore cannot be removed) when avahi-daemon goes away, the
print server is most probably still available and printing can
be continued. Especially important on mobile devices where
avahi-daemon is shut down when the print dialog is closed (and
the job(s) still printing).
CHANGES IN V1.8.0
- COPYING: Replaced the COPYING file by a file in Debian format,
derived from Debian's file but updated and corrected.
- braille: Added info about additional packages needed for Braille
printing to the README file.
- braille: Let the Braille filters use lou_translate of
liblouis if the more sophisticated file2brl of liblouisutdml
is not installed. This is decided on at run time, so later
installation of liblouisutdml will let the filters
automatically switch to file2brl.
- braille: Allow to build with Braille support also if
liblouis is not installed at build time.
- braille: Added checks for the presence of helper tools, to
get clear messages in the CUPS error_log if something is
- Fixed copyright headers of files inherited from CUPS or
derived from CUPS, pointing to COPYING as license info file,
removing Apple exceptions, removing hints that a missing
license info file can be found at www.cups.org, and removing
"$Id" SVN file ID placeholders.
- Updated COPYING file for missing implicitclass and beh
CHANGES IN V1.7.0
- cups-browsed: Added possibility to trigger the auto shutdown
by the queues of cups-browsed being without jobs. Before
auto shutdown was only possible when all queues have gone
away. This allows auto shutdown on mobile devices where
avahi-daemon is also used for other things than printing.
CHANGES IN V1.6.0
- cups-browsed: Fixed use of CUPS domain socket, both
detection during build process and permission check at
- foomatic-rip: Fixed buffer overflow when reading environment
variables CUPS_FONTPATH, CUPS_DATADIR, and GS_LIB (Bug
- beh: Introduced beh, the Backend Error Handler, a wrapper
backend to make handling of backend errors more
configurable. This backend is a C re-write of the beh
backend written in Perl which was part of the former
foomatic-filters package. Several people asked for beh
getting moved to cups-filters.
- braille: Make image printing working also if ImageMagick
generates formatted images without header.
- braille: If the user does not select a Braille translation,
let the embosser do the translation.
- cups-browsed: Added version info to help screen and start-up
in debug mode, call help screen also via "--version" option.
- cups-browsed: Minor improvements in help screen and man
CHANGES IN V1.5.0
- cups-browsed: Allow use of an alternative configuration file
via the "-c" command line option.
- cups-browsed: Allow supplying configuration settings via the
command line using the "-o" command line option.
- cups-browsed: Command line help via the "-h" or "--help"
command line option.
CHANGES IN V1.4.0
- foomatic-rip: SECURITY FIX: Also consider the semicolon
(';') as an illegal shell escape character. Thanks to Adam
Chester (adam dot chester at pentest dot co dot uk) for the
- brftoembosser, imagetobrf, imagetoubrl, imageubrltoindexv3,
imageubrltoindexv4, textbrftoindexv3, textbrftoindexv4,
texttobrf, braille.convs, braille.types, generic-brf.drv,
indexv3.drv, indexv4.drv: Added support for Braille
embossing via CUPS. Text and even images can now be sent to
a Braille embosser like to a printer. Thanks to Samuel
Thibault (samuel dot thibault at ens-lyon dot org) for this
CHANGES IN V1.3.0
- cups-browsed: Added new BrowseFilter directive in
cups-browsed.conf. This directive allows filtering of the
remote printers to be accepted on most properties/metadata
supplied with the DNS-SD broadcasts. This allows, in
addition to BrowseAllow/BrowseDeny/BrowseOrder, to reduce
the amount of printers listed in print dialogs to a more
- cups-browsed: Added support for BrowseDeny and BrowseOrder
directives in cups-browsed.conf.
- cups-browsed: Let the BrowseAllow lines in cups-browsed.conf
also apply to remote printers discovered via DNS-SD.
- cups-browsed: Auto-create queues for PCL-5c/e printers but
not for HP inkjet printers (which also advertise themselves
as PCL printers).
- cups-browsed, sys5ippprinter: Recognize PCL-5c/e printers
not only by the application/vnd.hp-pcl MIME type but also by
application/pcl and application/x-pcl.
CHANGES IN V1.2.0
- cups-browsed: When using IP-address-based device URIs via
the "IPBasedDeviceURIs" directive in cups-browsed.conf, add
two additional settings to restrict the used IP addresses to
either only IPv4 addresses or only IPv6 addresses.
- foomatic-rip: SECURITY FIX: Also consider the back tick
('`') as an illegal shell escape character. Thanks to Michal
Kowalczyk from the Google Security Team for the hint
CHANGES IN V1.1.0
- Version numbering scheme changed: Releases with feature
addition/change have the minor number increased now, pure
bug fix releases get the revision number increased, to make
use of the minor number which stayed zero all the time.
- cups-browsed: Added "DefaultOptions" directive to
cups-browsed.conf to allow defining default option settings
for local queues to be generated for newly appearing remote
- cups-browsed: Removed assert() calls which remained from
copy and paste in the very beginning of the development of
cups-browsed. assert() is only for use during debugging and
should not be used in production code.
- cups-browsed: Let option settings of a generated print queue
be saved before taking the queue down so that when the remote
printer appears again all user changes get restored, making
user changes permanent on generated queues.
- foomatic-rip: Fixed string length for shell path constant, to
work also with systems having longer paths (Bug #1325)
- cups-browsed: Added a mode in which IP-based device URIs
for the generation of local print queues are used, for
cases with problems in local host name resolution.
- foomatic-rip: Use -dFirstPage=... and -dLastPage=... only
if really needed (Bug #1324).
- cups-browsed, implicitclass: Make the load-balancing
configurable so that one can select whether the jobs get
queued up locally like in a CUPS class or whether they get
immediately distributed to the remote servers letting them
queue up there.
CHANGES IN V1.0.76
- cups-browsed: Make build also working with BSD make (Bug
- cups-browsed, implicitclass: Let the load-balancing queue up
the jobs in the local (generated) queue until a free (idle,
enabled, and accepting jobs) remote queue is found (check
every 5 sec if no free queue available). This gives a more
even distribution of the work amongst the servers and
protects against the case that a bunch of jobs gets
inaccessible or lost if one of the servers fails.
- cups-browsed: Let the load-balancing also check whether the
destination queue is actually accepting jobs.
- cups-browsed: If a generated queue is not removed on
shutdown of cups-browsed due to remaining jobs in it,
re-enable it in the next cups-browsed session even if it was
disabled by something other than cups-browsed.
- implicitclass: Clean up debug and error messages.
- implicitclass: Fix exit codes for immediate retry of jobs.
- cups-browsed: Make absence of CUPS notifications via D-Bus
non-fatal and fall back to the old behavior of cups-browsed
(fail-over instead of load balancing for equally-named
remote queues, do not remove generated queue if it is
default instead of default printer management). This solves
problems of CUPS and/or cups-browsed built without D-Bus
support or absence of D-Bus on the system (Bug #1316).
- cups-browsed: Do not use g_warning() function, sneaked in by
copy and paste of CUPS subscription functions.
CHANGES IN V1.0.75
- texttopdf: Really support BoldItalic (original texttops just maps
BoldItalic to Bold).
- texttopdf: Fixed segfault when outputting BoldItalic (Bug #1314).
CHANGES IN V1.0.74
- cups-browsed: Added NULL check when getting the notification of
a printer starting to process a job and checking whether this
printer is created by cups-browsed with the implicitclass:
backend (Ubuntu bug #1488524).
- backends: Include unistd.h and fcntl.h in backend-private.h for
all platforms, not only Linux, so that the backends build also
on non-Linux platforms (Bug #1308).
- cups-browsed: Do not schedule printers for update when they are
already marked as disappeared.
- cups-browsed: Added sanity checks when saving the default printer
selection in a file.
- cups-browsed, implicitclass: If remote queues disappear or
cups-browsed shuts down and a cups-browsed-generated queue still
has jobs and needs to be kept therefore, disable it and re-enable
it when cups-browsed starts again and/or the remote queue(s) re-
appear(s). This avoids repeated retries of the jobs while the
remote server is not available, causing unneeded system load and
- cups-browsed: After polling info from remote CUPS servers to find
the best destination job, set the default CUPS server back to local.
CHANGES IN V1.0.73
- cups-browsed: Added missing
CHANGES IN V1.0.72
- cups-browsed, implicitclass: Added load balancing
functionality. If there are several remote CUPS printers
with the same name, they for locally a cluster represented
by a print queue with this name. This printer prints through
a special backend (implicitclass) which makes cups-browsed
find the best destination remote queue (fewest jobs,
enabled) for this job.
- cups-browsed: Added protection against accidental deletion of
print queues generated by cups-browsed. These queues now get
- cups-browsed: Added LDAP support. Appropriately configured via
cups-browsed.conf remote printers made available via LDAP will be
looked up and local queues pointing to them created. Thanks to
Raphael Geissert (atomo64 at gmail dot com) for contributing this
patch (Debian bug #795185).
- cups-browsed: Introduced new handling for the default
printer using cache files. So we do not need to keep an auto-generated
queue because it is set as default printer. If the auto-generated
queue disappears, the old local printer is set as default again and
when it re-appears it returns to be the default printer.
- cups-browsed: Added infrastructure for subscribing to CUPS
notifications for things like improved default printer handling,
load balancing, ...
- foomatic-rip: Prevent crash when supplying "media" option with empty
value ("media=", Ubuntu bug #1479871).
- pdftoopvp: Adaptations to API changes on Poppler 0.34.0, note that
this patch disables color management in this filter. Thanks to
Vincent le Garrec and Andreas K. Huettel for the patch (Bug #1301,
Gentoo bug #554782).
- libcupsfilters, bannertopdf, foomatic-rip, gstoraster, pdftoijs,
sys5ippprinter, pdftoopvp, pdftops, pdftoraster, rastertoescpx,
urftopdf, texttopdf: Miscellaneous fixes for build compatibility with
different platforms, like config.h as very first include and so on.
Thanks to Richard Palo for the patch (Bug #1264).
- texttopdf: Request the generic 'monospace' font alias from fontconfig
instead of the hard-coded FreeMono. Thanks to Fabian Greffrath
(fabian at debian dot org) for the patch (Debian bug #788048).
CHANGES IN V1.0.71
- texttopdf: The Page allocation is moved into textcommon.c, where it
does all the necessary checking: lower-bounds for CVE-2015-3258 and
upper-bounds for CVE-2015-3279 due to integer overflows for the
calloc() call initialising Page and the memset() call in
texttopdf.c's WritePage() function zeroing the entire array. Thanks
to Tim Waugh from Red Hat for the patch.
- texttopdf: Upper-bounds checking (CVE-2015-3279).
CHANGES IN V1.0.70
- texttopdf: Fixed buffer overflow on size allocation of texttopdf
when working with extremely small line sizes, which causes the size
calculation to result in 0 (CVE-2015-3258, thanks to Stefan
Cornelius fro Red Hat for the patch).
- cups-browsed: leak fixes
- cups-browsed: Further BrowseAllow fixing
- cups-browsed: BrowsePoll is an array of pointers, not structures,
so allocate room for the pointers
- cups-browsed: Prevent NULL dereference when handling BrowseAllow
- cups-browsed: Use memory deallocation function corresponding to
allocation function used
- cups-browsed: Fixes for glib source handling (Red Hat bug #1228555)
- foomatic-rip: Allow using another shell than /bin/bash using the
"--with-shell=..." option for "./configure". Thanks to Leonardo
Taccari for the patch (Bug #1288).
CHANGES IN V1.0.69
- cups-browsed: When generating a PPD for an auto-discovered IPP
network printer, create a "ColorModel" option only if valid
choices are reported for it by the IPP printer.
- cups-browsed: Updated PPD file generator for auto-generated queues
for IPP network printers from the CUPS 2.1.x upstream code, so that
floating-point numbers are written in a locale-neutral way
(CUPS STR #4579).
- cups-browsed: When checking whether a queue name already exists
as a locally defined queue, do case-insensitive comparing as for
CUPS printer names are case-insensitive. This assures that
already existing queues do never get overwritten.
- cups-browsed: Added "IPPPrinterQueueType Auto/PPD/NoPPD" directive
to cups-browsed.conf to allow controlling how cups-browsed
creates queues fr native IPP network printers: with PPD, with
System V interface script, or selecting automatically.
- pdftopdf: Center Landscape-oriented jobs correctly on the page
if the "fitplot" or "number-up" options are used (Bug #1284).
- pstopdf: Removed "-dUseCIEColor" from the Ghostscript command line.
In modern Ghostscript versions (9.11 and newer) it is recommended to
not use it with the pdfwrite and ps2write output devices any more.
- imagetopdf: Corrections in PDF output: Let evince display the PDF
with the correct size including margins and let ghostscript not
complain about an invalid xref entry.
- cups-browsed: Do not add options to the System V interface script
which calls sys5ippprinter but set the options as defaults for the
CUPS queue in printers.conf.
- cups-browsed: When auto-generating a PPD-less print queue for an
IPP network printer, determine default page size, unprintable margins,
and color space from the printer via an IPP request.
- imagetopdf: Debug logging should be only controlled by the LogLevel
of CUPS, not by an awkward build time switch.
- cups-browsed: Determine from the TXT records of the Bonjour broadcast
of an IPP network printer whether it has color and duplex
capabilities and if yes, let auto-generated PPD-less print queues
use appropriate command line options to make use of these
- imagetopdf: Make this filter also work with auto-generated PPD-less
print queues for IPP network printers.
- sys5ippprinter: Renamed from pdftoippprinter to reflect that
it is a System 5 interface script and does not accept only
PDF as input.
- pdftoippprinter: Support also PWG Raster and JPEG as input formats
so that an auto-generated, PPD-less queue for an IPP printer emulates
an IPP Everywhere printer.
CHANGES IN V1.0.68
- cups-browsed: Numeric IDs for GSources of the glib event
loop must be positive integers greater than zero according
to the documentation of the g_source_get_id() function.
Taken care of this at all places.
- cups-browsed: Added conditionals so that it also builds with
CUPS 1.5.x (but then withou support for automatically creating
queues for IPP network printers). Thanks to Johannes Meixner from
SUSE for the patch (Bug #1268).
- Ricoh-PDF_Printer-PDF.ppd: Added PPD file for Ricoh's PDF printers
(experimental). Thanks to Ulrich Wehner from Ricoh for the file.
CHANGES IN V1.0.67
- cups-browsed: Use g_source_remove() instead of g_source_destroy()
for killing auto shutdown timers (Ubuntu bug #1427344).
CHANGES IN V1.0.66
- cups-browsed: SECURITY FIX: Fixed a bug in the remove_bad_chars()
failing to reliably filter out illegal characters if there are two
or more subsequent illegal characters, allowing execution of
arbitrary commands with the rights of the "lp" user, using forged
print service announcements on DNS-SD servers (Bug #1265).
- pdftoopvp: Added conditionals to also build with Poppler 0.31.0
and newer. Thanks to Armin K. (krejzi at email dot com) for the
patch (Bug #1254).
CHANGES IN V1.0.65
- cups-browsed: Listen for NetworkManager changes (Red Hat bug #975933).
- cups-browsed: Fix for memory leak introduced in BZR rev 7059.
- cups-browsed: Memory leak/uninit fixes.
- cups-browsed: Cache prepared browse data to send.
- cups-browsed: Only get local notifications once per BrowsePoll run.
- cups-browsed: Fix BrowsePoll now notifications work properly. Need
to maintain a list of printers to keep alive for the case of there
being no notifications of changes.
- cups-browsed: Use local browsepolling for getting initial printer
- cups-browsed: Ignore browse packets for deleted printers.
- cups-browsed: Cache connection to local cupsd.
- cups-browsed: Use notifications to track local printers.
This avoids expensive calls to cupsGetDests().
- cups-browsed: Manage subscriptions for local browsepolling.
- cups-browsed: Track notify-sequence-number for notifications.
CHANGES IN V1.0.64
- cups-browsed: Added PPD file generator for IPP Everywhere
printers. If auto-setup of discovered IPP printers is
activated ("CreateIPPPrinterQueues Yes" in
cups-browsed.conf), the printer provides suitable capability
information via a Get-Printer-Attributes IPP call, and
prints PWG or PostScript input, a PPD is auto-generated
based on the Get-Printer-Attributes IPP response. Otherwise
a System-V interface script is used as befreo. Advantage of
the PPD file is that current print dialogs aloow access to
the options, no IPP request done by the dialog is
required. The PPD generator code is borrowed from the CUPS
2.1.x development code repository. It will perhaps be
removed in the future when CUPS provides proper API function
for its PPD generator.
CHANGES IN V1.0.63
- foomatic-rip: Added hint to man page that direct, spooler-less mode
is mainly for testing and debugging (Bug #1253).
- foomatic-rip: Added a symlink of the filter to the binary executable
directory (usually /usr/bin), so that LSB compliance test scripts
work (Bug #1255).
- cups-browsed: Fixed CUPS Browsing timeouts. Thanks to Tim
Waugh from Red Hat for the patch (Bug #1252, Red Hat bug
CHANGES IN V1.0.62
- cups-browsed: Allow underscore characters in print queue names.
Thanks to Tim Waugh from Red Hat for the bug report (Bug
- pdftops: Apply workarounds for Kyocera also to Utax printers
as Utax uses hard- and software from Kyocera. Thanks to Edward
Huang from Kyocera.
- cups-browsed: Added support for "BrowseAllow All" in the
- cups-browsed: Reorder inclusion of headers for compatibility
with NetBSD (Bug #1235).
- imagetopdf, pdftopdf: Correct handling of hardware copies in
PJL/JCL and/or when the PPD file has a "Copies" option.
CHANGES IN V1.0.61
- cups-browsed: Fixed memory leak when a
cups-browsed-generated print queue is the default
printer. Thanks to Tim Waugh from Red Hat for the patch (Red
Hat bug: #1119290).
- cupsfilters.drv, *-PDF.ppd, textonly.ppd: Added
"*cupsFilter2: ..." lines to the PPD files to support
data-format-specific behavior of backends, especially of the
CHANGES IN V1.0.60
- cups-browsed, pdftoippprinter: Do not confuse the PDL "PCLm"
with "PCL". The former is a proprietary, PDF-based raster
format and has nothing to do with PCL.
- cupsfilters.drv: Corrected the CMD: field of the device ID,
it must read "PWGRaster" there to conform to the PWG standard.
CHANGES IN V1.0.59
- cupsfilters.drv: Added PPD file for a Generic IPP Everywhere
Printer, generating PWG Raster output.
- gstoraster, pdftoraster, imagetoraster: Allow PWG Raster
output with print queues using a PPD file, using the new
"PWGRaster" PPD attribute.
- pdftoraster: Removed "cm_disabled" flag in selectConvFunc()
- libcupsfilters: Allowed color management to continue while
- rastertopdf: Streamlined PDF conversion code
- rastertopdf: Invert all CUPS_CSPACE_K documents by default
- foomatic-rip: Clean trailing white space from PPD file lines to
avoid a segfault caused by it (Bug #1227).
CHANGES IN V1.0.58
- pdftoraster: Changed ICC profile get function to accept a
PPD fallback profile.
- pdftoraster: Fixed handling of cupsColorSpaces 18,19,20.
- rastertopdf: Added test feature to force color management if
"profile=" option is specified.
- rastertopdf: Grayscale color conversion now properly inverts
- rastertopdf: Code cleanup for prepare_pdf_page().
- rastertopdf: Implemented basic 8bit->8bit color space
- rastertopdf: Added black point compensation.
- rastertopdf: Added handling of color rendering intent.
- gstoraster, imagetoraster, pdftoraster, rastertopclx,
rastertopdf, foomatic-rip: Use color management functions in
- libcupsfilters: Modified code formatting and documentation in
the color management functions.
- libcupsfilters: Fixed string handling and added debug log
messages in the color management functions.
- libcupsfilters: Fixed Adobe RGB matrix for proper rendering
- libcupsfilters: Moved color management functions from the
individual filters to the libcupsfilters library.
CHANGES IN V1.0.57
- rastertopclx: Fixed implicit declaration of
- Build system: Explicitly link to libm as -lm was dropped
from cups-config --libs.
- libcupsfilters, foomaticrip, gstoraster, imagetoraster,
pdftoraster, rastertopclx, rastertopdf: Handle absence of
colord or D-Bus gracefully (Ubuntu bug #1356405).
CHANGES IN V1.0.56
- rastertopdf: Some code polishing and removal of now unneeded
- rastertopdf: Reduced color space handling to only
PWG-supported color spaces
- rastertopdf: Added colorspace calibration function; included
optional "/Alternate" PDF key for ICC profile embedding
- rastertopdf: Colorspace sRGB now embeds srgb icc profile;
implemented ICC Profile embedding (PDF 1.3 spec)
- rastertopdf: Added basic color calibration
- rastertopdf: Implemented ICC Profile creation code for IPP
Everywhere (from PWG raster)
- pdftoraster: Added colord handling of ICC profiles
- kmdevices.cpp/.h: Added interface for Kolor Manager
- cups-browsed: Do not consider a remote CUPS queue as raw if
the TXT record is NULL as for queues broadcasted by the
legacy CUPS method the TXT record does not exist. Now
consider a queue with NULL TXT record only as raw if the
domain entry is not empty (which tells that the queue is
Bonjour-broadcasted (Bug #1223).
- cups-browsed: Do also not mark a discovered printer as
already provided by another server when the other server's
queue has "unconfirmed" status. Mark the other queue with
"disappeared" or "unconfirmed" status as duplicate of the
discovered printer so that the new queue for the discovered
printer does not get removed when the entry for the other
queue times out.
CHANGES IN V1.0.55
- pdftopdf: Fixed manual duplex by adding a blank page to evn
pages if the total number of pages of the document is
odd. Otherwise the last page of the document would stay in
the input tray. This fixes also a side effect as the set of
even pages reducing to a zero page job if the job consists
of only one page, making Poppler's pdftops error out (Ubuntu
- cups-browsed: Do not mark a discovered printer as already
provided by another server when the other server's queue has
"disappeared" status. This queue can be from the same server
before it changed its name.
- cups-browsed: Do not create a local queue pointing to a
remote raw queue (Ubuntu bug #1335211).
- foomatic-rip, imagetoraster, pdftoraster, rastertopclx,
rastertopdf: Added colord "device_inhibit" support for
- foomatic-rip: Let it also build correctly on systems which
already provide the strlcat() and strlcpy() functions, like
Mac OS X. Thanks to Matt Broughton for reporting this
- bannertopdf: Added support for PPD-less printing, especially
one gets a useful test page with PPD-less queues now.
- bannertopdf: Fixed "Printer Location" and "Driver Version"
entries on the test page/the banners.
- bannertopdf: Added new PDF template files which contain the
text strings appropriate to the banners, before the banners
were all equal, without text. Thanks to Johannes Meixner
from SUSE/Novell for this fix (Bug #1209).
- bannertopdf: Fixed Makefile to mark it dependent on
libfontembed.la. Thanks to Tim Waugh from Red Hat for the
patch (Red Hat bug #1106101).
- pstopdf: Use "grep -E" instead of "grep -P" as the latter
generates executable code and executes it, requiring
"execmem" privileges which could be not available in some
security policies. Thanks to Tim Waugh from Red Hat for the
patch (Red Hat bug #1079534).
- foomatic-rip: NetBSD does not provide a mkstemps() function,
use appropriate workaround then (Bug #1211).
- cups-browsed: Reorder inclusion of headers for compatibility
with NetBSD (Bug #1212).
- pdftoraster: Fixed segfault caused by introduction of
"no-color-management" option (Bug #1214).
- libcupsfilters: Let cupsRasterParseIPPOptions() also accept
"pwg-raster-document-type" settings with hyphen between
color space name and color depth.
CHANGES IN V1.0.54
- pdftoraster: Support for output in the color spaces 18
(CUPS_CSPACE_SW, sGray), 19 (CUPS_CSPACE_SRGB, sRGB), and 20
(CUPS_CSPACE_ADOBERGB, Adobe RGB). No color management
appropriate to these color spaces is added yet.
- foomatic-rip, gstoraster, imagetoraster, pdftoraster,
rastertopclx: added boolean option "no-color-management" to
suppress all forms of color correction when
color-calibrating the printer.
- pdftops: Default to "hybrid" setting for the PDF->PostScript
- pdftoraster: Produce correct (compressed) PWG Raster output
when requested by using the correct mode in
- rastertopdf: Added new filter to convert PWG Raster input
into a PDF file (using QPDF). This filter makes CUPS
supporting the PWG Raster input format which is required to
be supported by IPP Everywhere printers, making a shared
CUPS queue emulating an IPP Everywhere printer. This is a
first implementation which supports the black, RGB, CMYK,
sGray, sRGB, and Adobe RGB color spaces (all mapped to
DeviceGray, DeviceRGB, and DeviceCMYK resp. in the PDF
output) with 1, 8, and 16 bits per component color
depth. sGray, sRGB, and Adobe RGB are currently also mapped
to DeviceGray and DeviceRGB and do not have the correct
color management yet, so color output is not absolutely
correct. Note that mime.types of CUPS up to 1.7.2 has a bug
which prevents PWG Raster to be recognized, the
"priority(100)" of the rule needs to be changed to
- foomatic-rip: Corrected declaration of print_pdf() function in
pdf.h file (Debian bug #748028).
- foomatic-rip: Let it also build with uclibc which does not
provide the mkstemps() function. Thanks to Andreas K.
Huettel for the patch (Gentoo bug #509884).
- cups-browsed: Create local queues also to access classes on
remote CUPS servers (Ubuntu bug #1313741).
- cups-browsed: Let a newly discovered printer not only
overtaking an existing printer entry if it is from the same
host (usually IPP -> IPPS) or without host entry
(unconfirmed local queue from previous cups-browsed session)
but also if it is marked disappeared. So printer entries get
correctly migrated when things like a host name change of
the remote server happen.
- cups-browsed: Always do case-insensitive comparing of
strings, as CUPS queue names and URIs are case-insensitive
(CUPS STR #4411).
CHANGES IN V1.0.53
- foomatic-rip: Fixed segfault when creating log file (Bug
- cups-browsed: SECURITY FIX: Fix on usage of the
"BrowseAllow" directive in cups-browsed.conf. Before, if the
argument of a "BrowseAllow" directive is not understood it
is treated as the directive not having been there, allowing
any host if this was the only "BrowseAllow" directive. Now
we treat this as a directive which no host can fulfill, not
allowing any host if it was the only one. No "BrowseAllow"
directive means access for all, as before (Bug #1204).
- cups-browsed: SECURITY FIX: Further improvement on the fix
in 1.0.51 as it was insufficient. In addition, some fixes
against OOB access are done. Thanks to Sebastian Krahmer for
the patch (SUSE/Novell bug #871327).
CHANGES IN V1.0.52
- texttopdf: Make sure that margin changes for prettyprint
- texttopdf, imagetopdf, imagetoraster: Range-check paper
dimensions and margins taken from the PPD file and correct
them if needed (Bug #1195).
CHANGES IN V1.0.51
- cups-browsed: SECURITY FIX to prevent arbitrary code
injection into the System V interface scripts generated for
queues for discovered native IPP printers by a malicious IPP
print service with forged make/model and/or PDL string.
CHANGES IN V1.0.50
- pdftops: Let old HP LaserJet printers (model number without
letter, like "LaserJet 3" or "LaserJet 4000") use Poppler
instead of Ghostscript (Debian bug #742765).
- pdftops: Improved workaround for Toshiba printers. Instead
of using Poppler do not emit TrueType fonts with Ghostscript
(Ubuntu bug #998087).
- cups-browsed: Build the device URIs for all local queues we create
with the CUPS library function httpAssembleURIf() for proper
percent escaping of characters which are not allowed in URIs
CHANGES IN V1.0.49
- pdftops: Use Poppler also for Toshiba printers (Ubuntu bug
- pdftops: Fixed typo which always made PostScript level 2 being
generated when using Poppler's pdftops (Ubuntu bug #1294370).
CHANGES IN V1.0.48
- cups-browsed: Fix for a crash which happens on Bonjour reports of
printers without "product", "usb_MDL", and "ty" fields in the
text record (Ubuntu bug #1284834).
- cups-browsed: In README and in the sample startup scripts/configs
for System V Init and Upstart taken into account the fact that it
is not required any more to start avahi-daemon before starting
CHANGES IN V1.0.47
- pdftoopvp: SECURITY FIX for CVE-2013-6474, CVE-2013-6475,
and CVE-2013-6476: Introductionof gmallocn and gmallocn3
to protect against arbitrary code execution with the
privileges of the "lp" user via malicious PDF files. Also
restrict the directory from where OPVP drivers can get
- urftopdf: SECURITY FIX for CVE-2013-6473: Two heap-based
buffer overflow flaws in urftopdf. If a malicious URF file
were processed it could lead to arbitrary code execution
with the privileges of the "lp" user.
- pdftopdf: Fixed typo in initialization which sets the default
value page border to an undefined value. Thanks to Helge
Blischke for the patch.
- cups-browsed: Check for changes of the URI of a queue which
we have created and correct the URI if needed, especially if
a queue was not removed on shutdown of cups-browsed (default
printer or still having jobs) and before restart of
cups-browsed the server's DNS-SD-provided has changed.
- bannertopdf: Support PDF forms as banner template. This allows
especially internationalized banner pages. Forms can contain
fields for any CUPS/IPP value and get automatically filled
Thanks to Andrew V. Stepanov from ALT Linux (Bug #1170,
also first step to fix Ubuntu bug #1196986).
CHANGES IN V1.0.46
- gstoraster: Ignore SIGCHLD, rely on waitpid instead. Thanks
to Lauri Tirkkonen (Bug #1184).
- gstoraster: Fix two instances of insufficient EINTR handling.
Thanks to Lauri Tirkkonen (Bug #1184).
CHANGES IN V1.0.45
- cups-browsed: Under Upstart load the AppArmor profile
(Ubuntu bug #1276630).
- cups-browsed: Added auto-shutdown feature for on-demand use
of cups-browsed (for example on mobile devices). With auto
shutdown active, cups-browsed terminates after a certain
time interval (30 sec by default) without having any remote
printer to make available locally. The mode can be turned
on, turned off (default) or set to automatically be off
while avahi-daemon is running an on otherwise (controlled by
avahi-daemon running on-demand). The mode and the timeout
interval can be selected by command line options, the
configuration file, and sending signals to cups-browsed
- cups-browsed: To make Bonjour-discovered printers locally
available avahi-daemon does not need to be started before
cups-browsed and does not need to stay continuously running
while cups-browsed is running. Bonjour-discovered printers
are now added whenever avahi-daemon starts and removed
whenever avahi-daemon stops and cups-browsed keeps
running. This makes it easier to use cups-browsed in
different system-configurations and also on systems with
daemons running on-demand (like mobile systems).
- foomatic-rip: Fixed pid_t/int function prototype mismatch
- Fixed --with-pdftops-path and --with-pdftocairo-path options
in ./configure (Bug #1181).
- foomatic-rip: Do not use PATH_MAX for the length of static
strings which are supposed to hold a command line. Use our
own CMDLINE_MAX constant to set them to a length of 65535
bytes (Ubuntu bug #1019662, Debian bug #738440).
- pdftops: Log command lines of renderer (Ghostscript, pdftops,
pdftocairo, acroread) and of pstops in CUPS' error_log (in
CHANGES IN V1.0.44
- README: Documented the "hybrid" choice for the PDF renderer
in the pdftops filter.
- pdftoippprinter: Handle missing Ghostscript/Poppler for all
- cups-browsed: Minor corrections in the error messages.
- gstopxl: Support for PPD-less printing. Resolution,
InputSlot, Duplex, and ColorModel are set also without PPD
- Added another sample PPD file for a native PDF printer,
Fuji_Xerox-DocuPrint_CM305_df-PDF.ppd. Thanks to Adrian
Johnson for contributing this PPD file.
CHANGES IN V1.0.43
- cups-browsed: When automatically setting up a PPD-less print
queue for an IPP network printer add make/model info as an
additional "make-and-model" command line option to the call
of the pdftoippprinter filter, this way filters can do
make/model-specific exceptions (quirk rules).
- pdftopdf: Take page size from the command line if not
already given by the PPD file, this way
"fitplot"/"fit-to-page" also works with PPD-less printing.
- libcupsfilters: cupsRasterParseIPPOptions() did not set
sRGB color space.
- libcupsfilters: cupsRasterParseIPPOptions() did not set
Tumble with "Duplex=DuplexTumble".
- pdftopdf: Fixed software copy generation logic for printers
with hardware copy generation, but without collate support
(Ubuntu bug #1259240).
- pdftops: Let Ghostscript output PostScript level 3 also for
PPD-less printing, but not for HP lasers or when make/model
info is not supplied.
- cups-browsed: removed duplicate definition of ippSetVersion.
- foomatic-rip: Take PATH_MAX constant from limits.h if
available instead defining it's own version conflicting with
kfreebsd. Thanks to Peter Green for the patch (Debian bug
- pdftops: Ignore "landscape", "orientation-requested",
"fit-to-page", and any page geometry options. The first two
do not make sense on PDF input and therefore should only be
used in ...topdf filters used before pdftopdf, the others
are already taken care of by pdftopdf so that pdftops gets
pages with print-ready page geometry.
- pdftops: Added "-nocenter" to the call of "pdftops
-origpagesizes" (Poppler/freedesktop.org bug #72312,
comments #6 and #7).
- pdftopdf: If there is no PPD file or no
"*LandscapeOrientation:" keyword in the PPD file, rotate
counterclockwise, not clockwise to fit a landscape-oriented
page on a portrait-oriented sheet (See
Poppler/freedesktop.org bug #72312, comment #6).
- pstopdf: Support for the "landscape" and
"orientation-requested" options (Ubuntu bug #1243484).
- pdftops: Support for PPD-less printing on PostScript
printers: duplex, resolution, input tray, color mode, and
make/model (for quirk rules) can now be supplied by the
command line, pdftopdf takes care of the page geometry.
- libcupsfilters: cupsRasterParseIPPOptions() allows
specifying resolutions without unit now, assuming dpi then
- Fixed "--with-cups-rundir" and "--with-cups-domainsocket"
options in configure (Bug #1174).
- pdftops: After fixing the output of rotated PDF pages
(usually landscape-oriented pages rotated by pdftopdf) in
Poppler (Poppler/freedesktop.org bug #72312) corrected the
use of "pdftops -origpagesizes" in pdftops appropriately
(Red Hat bug #768811).
CHANGES IN V1.0.42
- pdftoippprinter: Check also the presence of Ghostscript and
use pdftoraster if Ghostscript is missing.
- gstoraster: At build time use the path for Ghostscript which
our build system already finds for pdftops.
- pdftoraster: Take into account rotate field in PDF header,
when pdftopdf rotates a page to fit the paper it sets the
rotate field and does not swap the width and height entries.
- pdftoippprinter: Made PCL 5c/e printing working correctly,
by first adding support for unprintable margins and
defaulting to 12pt margins if no margin info is supplied,
and second, by doing color printing always in RGB color
- rastertopclx: Improved support for PPD-less printing,
allowing color printing with (s)RGB color space. Output is
in sRGB then.
- rastertopclx: Determine page size and select correct PCL
command for the page size more reliably, especially for
- gstoraster, pdftoraster: Do correct PWG Raster output, allow
switching to PWG Raster via "media-class=PwgRaster" option
and CUPS Raster via "media-class=". Default for PPD-less
printing is PWG Raster.
- gstoraster, pdftoraster: Support applying unprintable
margins for PPD-less mode with CUPS Raster output.
- libcupsfilters: Added support for "media-left-margin",
"media-right-margin", "media-bottom-margin", and
"media-top-margin" IPP options to specify unprintable
margins in 1/100th of a mm, to allow PPD-less printing with
unprintable margins (esp. PCL 5c/e with rastertopclx).
- libcupsfilters: Do not set "MediaClass" to "PwgRaster" when
we request a CUPS Raster header and not a PWG Raster header.
- libcupsfilters: Fixed typo in a debug message in the colord
- cupsfilters.convs: Corrected cost factor of
vnd.cups-postscript -> vnd.cups-raster conversion with
gstoraster, so that input data of the type
application/vnd.adobe-reader-postscript is converted
correctly (not via pstotiff). Thanks to Tim Waugh from Red
Hat for this patch
- cups-browsed: Fixed several memory leaks by adding missing
free() calls and removing an unneeded strdup(). Thanks to
Jaromir Koncicky from Red Hat for the patch (Red Hat bug
- Backends parallel and serial: Fixed logical expressions for
error handling (Bug #1172).
- libcupsfilters: Moved filter/colord.[ch] into the library as
this code is now used by both gstoraster and foomatic-rip.
- libcupsfilters: Made the names of the flags to tell that the
header is already included unique in all API header files.
- foomatic-rip: Moved foomatic-rip's upstream home from the
foomatic-filters package to cups-filters, to make it easier
for distributions to ship and maintain a complete printing
stack and also to make upstream maintenance and development
- foomatic-rip: Removed support for all the non-CUPS printing
environments as they are discontinued upstream. Now
foomatic-rip only works as a CUPS filter and in a spooler-less
direct mode, where the latter is mainly for testing and
debugging. Thanks to Anshul Kushwaha (anshulkushwaha1 at gmail
dot com) for doing this as a Google Summer of Code 2013 project.
- foomatic-rip: Eliminated compiler warnings.
- foomatic-rip: fixed "endswith()" string utility function.
- foomatic-rip: Removed unneeded HAVE_DBUS conditionals.
- gstoraster: Fixed build system for gstoraster use D-Bus for
- libcupsfilters: Recognize more Adobe-generated CMYK JPEGs to
take into account their inverted colors (Bug #1169).
- pdftopdf: When checking whether double-sided printing is
chosen, do not only check for the choice names "DuplexNoTumble"
and "DuplexTumble" but also for "LongEdge", "ShortEdge",
"Top", and "Bottom", as CUPS does (Bug #1167).
CHANGES IN V1.0.41
- cups-browsed: Added support for automatic PPD-less setup of
print queues for IPP printers discovered on the network via
Bonjour. Supported are printers with known languages (PWG
Raster, PDF, PostScript, PCL XL, PCL 5c/e), especially also
IPP Everywhere printers. This functionality is especially
ment for mobile devices to be able to print without printer
setup tool and without printer driver/PPD collection.
- cups-browsed: Fixed a Valgrind-reported issue.
- pdftoippprinter: New filter for PPD-less printing. The filter
will be configured as System-V interface script for a print
queue for a discovered IPP network printer generated by
- rastertopclx: Added support for PPD-less printing. Without
PPD the filter generates PCL 5e.
- cups-browsed: Fixed socket leaks in recent IPP subscriptions
changes. Thanks to Tim Waugh from Red Hat for the patch (Red
Hat bug #1021512).
CHANGES IN V1.0.40
- pdftops: Introduced new "hybrid" renderer: Here usually
Ghostscript is used, but if the printer is a Brother,
Minolta, or Konica Minolta Poppler's pdftops gets used. This
is a quirk rule to work around bugs in the PS interpreters
of the printers.
- Fixed format string issues and added __attribute__ wording
to printf-like functions to catch any regressions. Thanks to
Tim Waugh from Red Hat for the patch.
CHANGES IN V1.0.39
- pdftops: Fix for landscape PDF handling. Do not use the
command line options "-origpagesizes" and
"-choosePaperByPDFPageSize" of Poppler's pdftops utility on
already processed PDF data. Thanks to Tim Waugh from Red Hat
for the patch.
- cups-browsed: Improve the efficiency of BrowsePoll by using
IPP notifications when possible. It falls back to the
previous behaviour if it is not possible to use this
optimization. Thanks to Tim Waugh from Red Hat for the patch.
CHANGES IN V1.0.38
- pdftops: Added "-dNOINTERPOLATE" to the Ghostscript command line
for quicker processing of embedded bitmaps.
- pstopdf: Added "-dUseCIEColor" to the Ghostscript command line
to assure compatibility with newer Ghostscript versions (9.08
CHANGES IN V1.0.37
- Added example configuration files for systemd and Upstart. Thanks
to Tomáš Chvátal for the systemd file.
- Build system: Make sure that gstoraster gets linked against the
libcupsfilters of the currently built package and not of the
system. Thanks to Tomáš Chvátal.
- cupsfilters.convs: Reworked the cost factors of the filters to
avoid bogus filter chains like pstotiff|imagetopdf instead of
pstopdf|pdftopdf for PostScript->PDF. Thanks to Tim Waugh from
Red Hat for the report.
- pdftopdf: Accept additional command line options for PPD-less
- cups-browsed: Fixed building with CUPS 1.5.x and older,
ippSetVersion() was missing under the accessor function definitions
for backward compatibility.
CHANGES IN V1.0.36
- Fixed libdl detection in configure. Thanks to Andreas Huettel and
Yuta Satoh (Gentoo bug #478642).
- cups-browsed: Allow BrowsePoll operation also access print queues
on older CUPS servers. Thanks to David Mohr for the patch.
- cups-browsed: Assure that it always applies to the local CUPS
daemon and never to a remote one specified via client.conf
(Ubuntu bug #1207203).
- pdftoopvp, pdftoijs, pdftoraster, bannertopdf: Made code working
with Poppler 0.24.x (Bug #1144).
- gstoraster: Silenced compiler warnings.
- gstoraster, pdftoraster: Added support for PPD-less printing
controlled by IPP attributes (CUPS 1.7.x+ only).
- gstoraster, gstopxl: Moved these filters from Ghostscript to
cups-filters as upstream home.
- libcupsfilters: Added new cupsRasterParseIPPOptions() API
function for PPD-less printing controlled by IPP attributes
(raster.h, CUPS 1.7.x+ only).
- pdftopdf: Added support for page labels. "page-label" option and
"CLASSIFICATION" environment variable. Thanks to Tim Waugh from
Red Hat for the patch.
- pdftops: If one or more of the PDF-to-PS renderers (Ghostscript,
Poppler pdftops, Poppler pdftocairo, acroread) is not installed
at build time, pre-fill the appropriate executable's path with the
executable name to allow the use of this renderer when it gets
installed later (Debian bug #716842).
- cups-browsed: Do not resolve host names of remote printers discovered
via CUPS broadcasts (Bug #1141).
- Added man pages for cups-browsed and cups-browsed.conf. Thanks to
Brian Potkin for the contribution (Debian bug #714460).
- Install also escp.h, it is useful for .drv files.
CHANGES IN V1.0.35
- pdftoraster: Silenced compiler warning (Bug #1092).
- bannertopdf: Fixed typo which prevented the host name to be shown
- README: Fixed info about the PPD keyword cupsManualCopies (Bug
- Modified the cost factors of the filters to avoid unneeded PDF
conversion detours when the input data is PostScript. Instead of
pstopdf->pdftopdf->pdftops and pstopdf->pdftopdf->gstoraster we
get pstops and pstops->gstoraster now (Bug #1138).
- pdftops: Added experimental support for pdftocairo as PDF renderer.
Note that PostScript level 1 output and PDF input with color
spaces other than DeviceRGB, DeviceGray, sRGB or sGray is not
supported. PDFs generated by Cairo (for example when printing from
evince) uses only supported color spaces. Thanks to James Cloos
for the patch (Bug #1139).
- cups-browsed: Changed default of browsing protocols fron none to
both DNS-SD and CUPS.
- pdftops: Let Poppler generally generate PostScript level 3 if the
PPD identifies the printer as PS3 printer, make an exception of
sending PostScript Level 2 only for HP's laser printers, to not
compromise print quality and performance on all PS3 printers only
due to some buggy HP models (Debian bug #712949, see also Ubuntu bug
- Install pcl.h, it is needed by cupsfilters.drv. Thanks to Jiri
Popelka from Red Hat for the patch (Bug #1133).
- Make cups-filters building with automake 1.13. Thanks to Andreas K.
Huettel (dilfridge) on IRC.
- libcupsfilters, libfontembed, pdftopdf, texttopdf, cups-browsed:
Fixed several resource leaks and other problems. Thanks to Jiri
Popelka from Red Hat for the patches (Bug #1116).
CHANGES IN V1.0.34
- cups-browsed: Fixed build with OpenBSD (Bug #1103).
- pdftopdf: Enabled hardware copy generation, if available.
- pdftopdf: Fixed evenDuplex logic.
- cups-browsed: If a queue left over from the last session
gets confirmed, fill in the data structure with the Bonjour
parameters, also update the Bonjour parameters if a local
queue is upgraded from IPP to IPPS.
CHANGES IN V1.0.33
- cups-browsed: Added NULL check (Bug #1106).
CHANGES IN V1.0.32
- cups-browsed: Shared algorithm to generate local queues based on
browsed remote queue data between Bonjour and CUPS browsing, as the
simpler method used for CUPS browsing could overwrite local print
queues and had de-duplication problems, for example if the server
appears on two IPs in the network (connected by both ethernet and
- cups-browsed: CUPS broadcasting also broadcasted non-shared,
especially cups-browsed-generated printers. Switched to detection
of non-shared printers by the appropriate bit in the printer-type
bit field IPP attribute.
- cups-browsed: Made CUPS broadcasting work also without BrowseAllow
lines in cups-browsed.conf. In this case we accept all remote
printers (Ubuntu bug #1163764).
- README: Updated documentation for cups-browsed.
- Added more comments and examples to /etc/cups/cups-browsed.conf.
- cups-browsed: Added support for "...:<port>" extensions of
BrowsePoll addresses. Thanks to Tim Waugh from Red Hat (Ubuntu
CHANGES IN V1.0.31
- cups-browsed: cups-browsed removed valid local queues pointing to
remote queues when cups-browsed did not shut down cleanly after
the previous session, leaving the user with missing local accessor
queues for some of the remote CUPS queues (Ubuntu bug #1131149).
- Fixed build system to allow parallel or multilib builds. Thanks to
Timo Gurr for the patch (Bug #1104).
- pdftopdf: Improved error output.
- pdftopdf: getRotation now handles unusual cases more graceful
(probably fixes Ubuntu Bug #1154318).
- Fixed build system to allow building without Avahi. In this case
a cups-browsed with only CUPS broadcasting/browsing will get
built. Thanks to Tim Waugh from Red Hat (Bug #1101, Bug #1102).
CHANGES IN V1.0.30
- cups-browsed: Do not remove a generated local print queue when
it was made the system default printer (Ubuntu bug #1146407).
- texttopdf: Fixed corrupted pdf when a utf-8 title is given and
corresponding crash with 'prettyprint' (Ubuntu Bug #1137438).
- cups-browsed: Added CUPS Broadcasting for sharing local printers
to remote CUPS clients with CUPS 1.5.x and older. Thanks to Tim
Waugh from Red Hat.
- cups-browsed: Added sample config-file and build-time default
setting options. Thanks to Tim Waugh from Red Hat.
- cups-browsed: Added CUPS browsing and BrowsePoll functionality, to
be backwards compatible to CUPS 1.5.x and older servers. Thanks
to Tim Waugh from Red Hat.
- pdftopdf: Fixed incorrect evenDuplex page insertion (Bug #1088).
- pdftoopvp: Let it build with Poppler 0.22.x. Thanks to Koji Otani
from BBR Inc. (Bug #1089).
CHANGES IN V1.0.29
- Fixed ./configure option "--with-rcdir=no". Thanks to Jiri
Popelka from Red Hat (Bug #1091).
CHANGES IN V1.0.28
- cups-browsed: Do not create CUPS queues for shared local CUPS
CHANGES IN V1.0.27
- cups-browsed: The daemon crashed if there is no local CUPS queue
at all. Fixed.
CHANGES IN V1.0.26
- Some fixes in README and INSTALL.
- cups-browsed: Added daemon to browse the Bonjour broadcasts of
shared remote CUPS printers and automatically add local raw queues
pointing to them, to resemble the behavior of the former CUPS
broadcasting/browsing which was dropped in CUPS 1.6. Now remote
printers appear as local print queues as before, but with the
standardized Bonjour broadcasting.
- "make dist" got broken in 1.0.25. Fixed.
CHANGES IN V1.0.25
- urftopdf: Newly added filter to convert the URF format which (at
least some) iOS apps send when printing via AirPrint (Bug #1076).
- pdftopdf: pdfautorotate functionality has been patched directly
into pdftopdf (Bug #1080).
- pdftopdf: "mirror" produced only empty pages (XObjects not there).
- pdftopdf: Fixed segfault on "page-ranges=1-2147483647" (from cups).
- pdftopdf: Fixed collate filler insertion.
- texttopdf: Fixed deficient string escaping (Bug #1071).
- pdftoopvp: Get correct byte order definition when building under
OpenBSD (Bug #1070).
- serial backend: Added check for sys/ioctl.h to configure.ac (Bug
- pdftopdf: Made code building under OpenBSD (Bug #1068).
- pdftopdf: Don't expect too much C++11 support for now (Bug #1067).
CHANGES IN V1.0.24
- pdftopdf now generates the necessary pdf comments to disable
duplicate number-up when pdftops is also applied (Bug #1063).
- pdftops: Added support for using Adobe Reader (acroread) in command
line mode for turning PDF to PostScript (Bug #1065).
- pdftopdf: Fix build on OpenBSD (Bug #1062).
- pdftops: Fix stripping of page management options from the pstops
command line which got already applied by pdftopdf. If the name
of the option to be removed is contained in the name of a option
in the command line (like "number-up" in "number-up-layout" or
"scaling" in "Natural-scaling"), this option gets stripped instead
of the correct option (Bug #1064).
CHANGES IN V1.0.23
- Removed filter/pdftopdf.old
- Fixed the requires.private for cupsfilters lib
CHANGES IN V1.0.22
- Added missing *.h files of filter/pdftopdf/ to source file list so
that "make dist" builds correct upstream tarballs.
CHANGES IN V1.0.21
- bannertopdf: Page duplication routine fixed.
- bannertopdf: Fixed invalid output of a direct stream object.
- pdftopdf filter replaced by new QPDF-based filter from Tobias
Hoffmann's Google Summer of Code project. The former Poppler-based
pdftopdf duplicated a lot of Poppler's code. The old filter is
still in the package as pdftopdf.old with source code in
filter/pdftopdf.old. It will be removed in a later release.
- Added most recent contributors to AUTHORS and COPYING files.
CHANGES IN V1.0.20
- pdftops: Added another workaround for Kyocera printers: Some
models get very slow on images which request interpolation,
so now we remove the image interpolation requests by additional
PostScript code only inserted for Kyocera printers (Ubuntu bug
- pdftops: The build system only configured the default renderer
(Ghostscript OR Poppler), not the other renderer, but as we support
switching on runtime both need to get configured.
- Improved portability of the package to non-Linux systems (Bug #1056).
- Made the Poppler-based filters pdftopdf and pdftoopvp build with
both Poppler 0.18.x and 0.20.x (Bug #1055).
- Let build system check for dlopen.
CHANGES IN V1.0.19
- Fixes according to Coverity scan results (Bug #1054).
- Added distribution packaging instructions to INSTALL.
- Switched build system to autotools. This especially fixes several
build problems in Gentoo. Also build-tested with CUPS 1.6.0b1.
- Fixes for compatibility with clang/gcc-4.7.
- textonly: Filter did not work as a pipe with copies=1 (Bug #1032).
- texttopdf: Avoid trimming the results of FcFontSort(), as this may
miss some reasonable candidates under certain circumstances. BTW,
fix passing a non-pointer as a pointer to "result" (Debian bug
- Corrected documentation. The option for the maximum image rendering
resolution in pdftops is "pdftops-max-image-resolution", not
CHANGES IN V1.0.18
- Modified "./configure" options related to the pdftops filter to
allow changing the defaults for the renderer being used by default
(Ghostscript or Poppler) and the maximum image rendering resolution
and to supply paths for both Ghostscript's gs and Poppler's pdftops.
- pdftops: Allow selection whether Ghostscript or Poppler is used
at runtime, setting the "pdftops-renderer" option to "gs" or
- pdftops: Allow setting an upper limit for the image rendering
resolution, also at runtime, setting the option
"pdftops-max-image-resolution" to the desired limit in dpi.
"0" means no limit.
- pdftops: Fixed crash by wrong usage of sizeof() function when adding
"Collate" to the fifth command line argument for the "pstops" CUPS
filter call (Ubuntu bug #982675).
- pdftops: Removed newline from copies value when reading it from
the "%%PDFTOPDFNumCopies" entry of the incoming PDF file.
- pdftops: Silenced compiler warning about ignoring the return
value of the write() function.
- pdftops: Added a crash guard.
- pdftops: Start determining the printing resolution with
cupsRasterInterpretPPD(), this is the most reliable as often
the choice names of the "Resolution" option are marketing names
with higher numerical values than the actual resolution. Also
ignore error exit values of cupsRasterInterpretPPD() as the
function can error out after having found the resolution.
- pdftops: If printing resolution is determined by
cupsRasterInterpretPPD() do not stick on 100 dpi if the
resolution cannot be determined (Ubuntu bug #984082).
CHANGES IN V1.0.17
- pdftopdf: Fixed segmentation fault when printing selected pages
("page-ranges" option, Ubuntu bug #980673).
CHANGES IN V1.0.16
- pdftopdf: Fixed segmentation faults when using N-up with certain PDF
files (Ubuntu bug #980673) and when calling pdftopdf manually without
specifyting a PPD file.
CHANGES IN V1.0.15
- pdftops: Suppress image compression only for Brother printers as they
really need this measure to print at all. This accelerates printer-
internal job processing on most other printers (tested on HP and
Kyocera). Also suppress page compression on Kyocera printers, this
works around a bug in Kyocera's PostScript interpreters which makes
printing pages with images very slow (Ubuntu bug #977912).
CHANGES IN V1.0.14
- pdftops: Determine printing resolution from the PPD file and supply
it on the Ghostscript or pdftops (Poppler) command line, so that
the renderer does the image rendering with a resolution matching the
printer's resolution. This avoids too slow processing of the jobs
by the printer's built-in PostScript interpreter. In addition
a default resolution of 300 dpi is used for PPDs without any hint
of the printer's resolution, as most PostScript lasers use multiples
of 300 dpi as resolution (Ubuntu bug #977912).
CHANGES IN V1.0.13
- bannertopdf: Fix display of the job dates on the test page and on
banner pages (Ubuntu bug #975064).
CHANGES IN V1.0.12
- Fixed crash of imagetopdf filter when it is called manually
without supplying a valid PPD file (Ubuntu bug #973564).
CHANGES IN V1.0.11
- Actually install the Generic PDF printer PPD file.
- Really introduce a Generic PDF printer PPD file.
CHANGES IN V1.0.10
- Added Generic PPD file for native PDF printers.
- Updated all code copied from Poppler to the current state of Poppler.
- Made Poppler-based PDF filters building with various versions of
CHANGES IN V1.0.9
- Deactivated NIME conversion rules which are not used by the PDF-
based printing workflow.
- Cleaned up sample PPD file HP-Color_LaserJet_CM3530_MFP-PDF.ppd.
- imagetopdf: Added support for native PDF printers.
- imagetopdf, imagetoraster: Let image input "scale to fit"
by default. This makes photo printing via AirPrint work,
as the iOS devices send JPEG but do not allow setting options.
CHANGES IN V1.0.8
- pdftops: Generally do not compress fonts and images, and
also do not do CCITT compression for bitmap glyphs to make
the PostScript output more compatible with buggy PostScript
interpreters. The output gets 30-50% longer but will work on
many more different printer models. Problems were also
discovered on HP and not only on Brother (Ubuntu bug
CHANGES IN V1.0.7
- pdftops: Added PostScript debug mode. For jobs sent with "-o psdebug"
the PostScript output by Ghostscript does not have compression of
pages and fonts, so that one can analyse the PostScript code,
especially in cases of incompatibilities and bugs of the built-in
PostScript interpreters of printers. Thanks to the Ghostscript
upstream developers for this hint.
CHANGES IN V1.0.6
- texttopdf: Fixed minor miscalculation of /AvgWidth.
- texttopdf: Added support for direct file references in pdf.utf-8.
- pdftops: Added another workaround for a bug in Brother's PostScript
interpreter: Suppress CCITT compression for bitmap glyphs and
images on Brother printers (Ubuntu bug #955553).
- texttopdf: Fixed typo in pdf font descriptor dictionary keys.
- Fixed ColorDevice definition in cupsfilters.drv for HP DesignJet
- Put ModelNumber entries in cupsfilters.drv at the right place to
get correct "*cupsModelNumber:" entries in the PPDs for the HP
- rastertopclx: Code of JCL options did not get inserted into the JCL
- parallel backend: Use the same way as CUPS does to prevent an
infinite loop on side channel errors (CUPS STR #4044).
- pdftopdf: Added support for native PDF printers, add JCL (PJL)
options and send page_log entries only if the PDF has the
- Updated README.txt for the new native PDF printer support.
- Added a sample PPD file for a native PDF printer,
- texttopdf: A lot of internal rework; also split up into more files
- texttopdf: Fixed many bugs on the way
- texttopdf: Added support for CFF-flavoured OTFs; for these
subsetting is not yet implemented, full embedding is done instead
- texttopdf: Adapted and improved fontconfig font selection
- Make sure that "make clean" and "make distclean" also work if
Makedefs does not exist (Debian bug #663564).
CHANGES IN V1.0.5
- pdftops: Added insertion of workaround PostScript code for printers
with bugs in their PS interpreters (Ubuntu bugs #950713, #951627).
- parallel backend: Break infinite loop (Ubuntu bug #936647).
- texttopdf: Complete the implementation of fontconfig-based font
selection (Debian bug #663070).
CHANGES IN V1.0.4
- texttopdf: Fall back to altermative fonts via fontconfig if the
FreeMono TrueType fonts are not installed (Debian bugs #495598
- bannertopdf: Fix off-by-one error in page duplication
- bannertopdf: Put indirect references to streams into the page's
- bannertopdf: Let byte offsets for the Xref table of the PDF output
being determined correctly also when the output goes to stdout
(Ubuntu bug #939735).
- bannertopdf: Output multiple copies of the test page if duplex
and/or N-up is chosen, to let the test page appear on all possible
positions of the sheet (Ubuntu bug #939530).
CHANGES IN V1.0.3
- bannertopdf: Draw the frame to mark the non-printable borders 1pt
smaller all around to assure that it is always visible, like it was
done in bannertops.
- bannertopdf: Scale the page to fit onto the desired output page.
- bannertopdf: Get and output the correct media limits.
CHANGES IN V1.0.2
- bannertopdf: Fixed crash caused by wrong Poppler API use.
- bannertopdf: Info text on test page came out in gray and not in
CHANGES IN V1.0.1
- Added the textonly filter and its PPD file, a driver for text-only
- Install the pdftoijs sample PPD file
- Added cupsfilters.drv, centralized ppdc-based PPD generator for the
printer driver filters in this package. Current printers supported
are several HP DesignJet large format inkjet printers.
- Fixed "make uninstall". Now everything of this package gets removed.
- Added wrapper scripts texttops and imagetops for backward
compatibility to third-party PPD files or custom configurations
which refer to these filters explicitly (Debian bug #658258).
CHANGES IN V1.0
- Built the pdftops filter based on Ghostscript by default, as
Ghostscript is better optimized for print output (Ubuntu bug
- If the pdftops filter is built for using Poppler, let Poppler not
emit PostScript level 3, as this causes problems with some HP
printers (Ubuntu bug #277404, Freedesktop (Poppler) bug #19640).
- bannertopdf needs to be linked with C++ (bug #995)
- Added test.sh script for testing texttopdf
- Added original documentation of the PDF filters to README.txt
- Install C header files and the static library
- General clean-up of "make install" targets in Makefiles
- Raised MIME conversion cost factor of pdftoraster from 66 to 100 to
give priority to the gstoraster filter from Ghostscript, as this
filter supports ICC-profile-based color management.
- Documentation updated because libijs, liblcms, freetype, and
fontconfig are needed to build this package
CHANGES IN V1.0b1
- Removed the bannertops, imagetops, and texttops filters, they are
not needed any more in the PDF-based printing workflow
- Added support for liblcms2
- Named the package "OpenPrinting CUPS Filters"
- Renamed libcupslegacy to libcupsfilters
- Joined pdftops and cpdftocps filters into one C program
- Added new bannertopdf filter from Lars Karlitski (formerly
- Added the filters for the PDF-based printing workflow, from
OpenPrinting: http://sourceforge.jp/projects/opfc/ and
- Initial packaging of files that are no longer included in CUPS 1.6
from CUPS upstream (http://www.cups.org/)