__________/ D1X-Rebirth /
This version of D1X is based on livna’s release of d1x-1.43.
I spend much time to improve the Sourcecode, tried to fix bugs in there and added some improvements.
It is the goal of DXX-Rebirth to keep these games alive and the result is a very stable version of
the Descent I port - called D1X-Rebirth.
I hope you enjoy the game as you did when you played it the first time.
If you have something to say about my release, feel free to contact me at zico [at] dxx-rebirth [dot] com
DXX-Rebirth has every little feature you already may know from the DOS Version of Descent and much more.
* Plays Descent and Descent 2 and all their AddOns and third-party levels.
* DXX-Rebirth runs on your favourite Operating System. We officially support Linux (and other *NIX), Mac OS (9/X) and Windows (2000, XP, Vista, 7). Still the code can be compiled on many other systems as well.
* OpenGL provides a fast and smooth rendering - even on low-end systems.
* Optionally you can enbale several effects like Transparency, Colored lighting, Texture Filtering, FSAA, etc.
* Thanks to SDL, a wide palette of Joysticks are supported. Also you can use more Joysticks, buttons and axes than you can ever operate in your state of evolution.
* If you prefer steering your Pyro with a mouse, you will not have the problem that the movement becomes slow in high game speed.
* Joystick, Keyboard and Mouse can be used simultaneously.
* The games can display all resolutions and aspects supported by your Monitor, including an option for VSync.
* Besides MIDI and CD-Audio (Redbook), you can play your own custom Music from your Harddrive or a separate AddOn.
* Both games can utilize special AddOn packs to replace or expand the original game content.
* Multiplayer via UDP protocol provides a fast and easy-to-use LAN and Online action. This includes reliable communication causing less glitches due to lost packages.
* The ingame Demo-recording system has been improved. Demos are less glitchy and smaller while still still being backwards-compatible to earlier versions of the games.
* Higher game speed will not cause glitches such as unacceptable fast homing projectiles, incredible high damage caused by several collisions or Fusion cannon, etc.
* Player files, Savegames, Demos and Missions from DOS-Versions of the games can freely be used in DXX-Rebirth and vice versa.
* Mac Command keys are now working - see F1 Help. Command-Q works much like a normal Mac program
* Even more ...
D1X-Rebirth supports Multiplayer over UDP/IP.
Using UDP/IP works over LAN and Internet. By default, each game communicates over UDP-Port 42424. This can be
changed via the menus while creating a game and manually join a game, command-line argument or D1X.INI. To
successfully host a game online, make sure UDP-Port 42424 (or otherwise if specified correctly) is opened on
your Router/Firewall. Clients do not need to open any ports.
The game also supports IPv6 if built in while compiling and should be backwards compatible to IPv4 builds
as good as possible.
4. Legal stuff:
zico [at] dxx-rebirth [dot] com