This is a list of problems you might experience with Dianara. Some of them
are bugs in the Pump.io core, but are collected here for reference.
As a general rule, if Dianara reports some sort of problem,
check the status bar (at the bottom) and/or the Log window for details.
If you find a bug not listed here, you can report it at the issue tracker:
- Sometimes you'll see that a post has some comments, but not see the comments
themselves, or not all of them. This is an issue with distribution of
comments by the Pump servers, not something Dianara-specific.
It is being worked on by the Pump.io developers. This happens specially
in non-public posts, the ones that are to "Followers" only.
Until this issue is resolved, it is recommended to post to "Public".
- The "+" button to open related posts from the Meanwhile feed will open the
referenced posts, but you won't always be able to see the comments.
Basically it will fail if the activity is about "something in reply to
something else", and "something else" is in a server different from yours.
When that happens, you'll see a message about it in the status bar.
It should always work for activities such as "JohnDoe favorited a note" or
"Jane updated an image", and also if the post was already available in the
This is due to some data not being present in what's provided by the server.
**See pump.io issue: https://github.com/pump-io/pump.io/issues/873
As of Dianara v1.3.0, this should work for any post that has been previously
seen in the timelines, so it will work much more often.
- Sometimes you might not be able to comment on a post. If an error appears
next to the comment composing box, check the status bar. You'll be probably
getting the "No original post" error.
This is a bug in the Pump.io core. It usually happens with posts from people
you weren't following at the time they created the post, but you're seeing
due to someone else sharing them.
**See Pump.io issue: https://github.com/pump-io/pump.io/issues/1027
- Sometimes, a comment you just posted doesn't appear in the comments right away.
When that happens, you can click on "Reload Comments" to reload them and
verify that your comment was indeed posted. However, the box where you type
the comment should never disappear until the server confirms your comment
has been correctly posted, so your comment should never be lost.
- SSL errors can only be either blocked (default), ignored for embedded images,
or completely ignored.
- Some things don't "refresh" immediately as they should.
These are things that are just not done yet. They will be in future versions.
- Several settings (such as colors) don't apply to previous content.
They take effect on posts received after the change to the setting was done,
after going to a different page in the timeline, or after a program restart.
- The "insert an image from a web site" option will insert a white icon in
place of the image while editing, but the image will be seen in the post,
if the link to it is good. The link should go to the image directly, without
- Animated GIFs are not animated in some cases. They are animated when viewed
in the separate image viewer, not in the post itself. That's why it only
works in 'image' type of posts, not in images embedded from URLs.
- Sometimes, actions such as posting a comment to a note, will generate a
duplicated activity in the "Meanwhile" feed. This is a Pump.io core issue,
but don't worry, your contacts won't (usually) see this duplication.
**See pump.io issue: https://github.com/pump-io/pump.io/issues/1016
- Related to the previous issue:
If the newest Meanwhile activity was duplicated, updating that feed might
add yet another duplicate of that activity if there is nothing new.
- "Comments to comments" are not supported, nor displayed. You will, however,
be notified of a comment to one of your comments in the Meanwhile feed,
and can jump to the parent post if you see a shared comment in your timeline.
- The system tray icon does not work under Plasma Desktop 5, for versions
under 5.5.0, due to Plasma 5 not supporting the old XEmbed-based tray icons.
This is fixed by building Dianara with Qt 5, and can also be fixed for
Qt 4.8 by installing the SNI-Qt plugin. This issue does not exist under
Plasma 5.5 or newer.
- When uploading media, the whole file will be loaded into memory first.
(Not much of an issue unless you want to upload huge files)
- When downloading attachments, the suggested filename might have a generic
".bin" extension, but that's just a name issue, not affecting the contents.
Also, downloading attachments of type "file" will fail if the post is in a
server different from yours, and not public.
**See pump.io issue: https://github.com/pump-io/pump.io/issues/1014
- The Meanwhile feed items are always in English. That's because those texts
come from the server (english only, at the moment), and they are not part
- The status bar icons are sometimes quite big in certain environments,
depending on the visual theme you're using for Qt applications.
- System notifications are broken under Xfce (up to 4.12), showing only
the title and no message, due to line breaks.
**See Xfce issue: https://bugzilla.xfce.org/show_bug.cgi?id=11706
- Small regression on v1.3.0: the "likes" on comments are not updated from
the info received on the "Meanwhile" feed, but it can be updated by clicking
on "Reload comments". This will be restored on later versions.
- The "browse messages" option in the avatar menus and in the contact lists
will only work for contacts in your same server. This is due to a current
Pump.io API limitation.
- The site users (Neighbors) list has very limited information about the
listed users. This is due to a lack of information (currently) provided by
the Pump.io API for this.
- Following someone from your Followers tab will change that contact to
"Stop following" immediately, even if their server is down and you answer
"don't follow" when Dianara asks for confirmation.
- Some text labels (like "Shared 7 times") are highlighted when hovered with
the mouse. This highlighting color can make links unreadable for certain
- When using the Oxygen theme for Qt widgets, and after running the program
for a semi-long period of time, and receiving many new posts, the oldest
posts in the timeline start showing graphic glitches which make the contents
hard, or impossible, to read. They also stop responding to mouse clicks and
general input. This does not seem to happen with other Qt themes.
- When built with Qt 5, sometimes text in the Meanwhile feed's items might be
cut at the beginning of a line.