6 January 1997
Backwards-incompatible changes to DocBook that are planned for V4.0:
- The DocInfo element will be split out into ChapterInfo, AppendixInfo,
etc. ArtHeader will be renamed to ArticleInfo. SeriesInfo may be
discarded because it has become a special case of BiblioSet.
BookBiblio will be discarded in favor of a new, more inclusive,
structure for BookInfo (and for ArticleInfo, whose earlier ArtHeader
form contained BookBiblio).
- The %article.class; entity may be removed from the Book content model,
and made part of a new top-level document hierarchy.
- The %nav.class; entity, which appears in several divisions, will allow
ToCchap instead of ToC.
- MsgText will be moved from tech.char.class to a more appropriate
- The following elements will have their content constrained to the
%smallcptr.char.mix; mixture: Action, Command, Database, Filename,
Hardware, Interface, KeyCap, Literal, Option, Parameter, Property, and
- AuthorBlurb and Affiliation will be removed from %person.ident.mix;
and a new wrapper element created to allow association of those two
elements with Author name information.
- Epigraph will be disallowed from appearing in BlockQuote.
- Comment will be renamed to Remark and will be excluded from itself.
- GlossTerm will be excluded from itself, and may be split into an
element that appears in a Glossary and an element that can appear in
the main text.
- The Subject attribute on GlossDef will be renamed Keyword.
- Two SegTitle elements will be required in SegmentedList.
- Graphic and InlineGraphic will be declared EMPTY. This change will
require that end-tags be removed and that any embedded graphic content
be stored outside the SGML source and pointed to from an Entityref or
- The OptMult and ReqMult values for the Choice attribute on Group
will be removed. Use the Rep attribute instead to indicate that the
choice is repeatable.
- The content model group inside FuncSynopsis starting with FuncDef
will not be available; you will have to use FuncPrototype. Also, you
will be able to have a mixture of FuncPrototypes and FuncSynopsisInfos
(this is not backwards-incompatible all by itself).
- The EnvironVar and Prompt values for the Class attribute on SystemItem
will be eliminated; use the EnVar and Prompt elements instead.
- All link elements will be excluded from themselves and each other.