Things that should (IMHO definitely) be done in the near future:
* make the package XML policy compliant.
- move the stylesheets and DTDs into /usr/share/xml
* solve the conflict with the docbook-utils package binaries
(including: man-pages and docs currently use the names chosen by upstream,
not "our" tranformed binary names)
* the man-pages contain references to files in /usr/share
[.. citing Steve Cheng ..] So you have two choices:
1. You can either use a sed script afterwards to fix the paths in the
installed man pages (and HTML, Texinfo documentation).
2. Or, force the rebuild of the documentation at your end.
After running the configure --with-html-xsl, touch doc/docbook2X.xml and
then make. (Note: don't use VPATH builds in this situation; it breaks.)
Of course you will need the xsltproc and the DocBook XSL stylesheets for
this procedure. [..]