* Make the sieve storage a base class with (possibly) various implementations,
just like mail-storage. This aims to provide support for alternate types
of script storage like LDAP or SQL database.
- Implement read/write script storages for using ManageSieve with dict
- Implement infrastructure for loading a sequence of global scripts from
a database (for sieve_before/sieve_after).
Parallel plugin-based efforts (on hold at the moment):
* Implement enotify xmpp method as a plugin.
* Implement metadata and servermetadata extensions as a plugin.
- Update to native Dovecot metadata implementation once it is created.
Next (mostly in order of descending priority/precedence):
* Implement index extension
* Add normalize() method to comparators to normalize the string before matching
* Improve error handling.
- Implement dropping errors in the user's mailbox as a mail message.
* Further develop regex extension and update it to the latest draft:
- Implement the :quoteregex set modifier
- Investigate the use of the TRE regexp library to gain UTF-8 capability
(posix regexes actually do support utf8, but only when locale is set
* Finish body extension:
- Build test cases for decoding MIME encodings to UTF-8
* Cleanup the test suite
- Restructure test scripts
- Add more comment on purpose of tests
* Finish the ereject extension
* Vacation extension improvements:
- Implement configurable sender exclusion list.
- Implement mechanism for implicitly including an account's aliases in the
vacation command's :addresses list.
* Fix remaining RFC deviations:
- Fix issues listed in doc/rfc/RFC-questions.txt based on answers
- Allow for the existence of dynamic comparators (i.e. specified by
- Verify outgoing mail addresses at runtime when necessary
(e.g. after variables substitution)
- Improve handling of invalid addresses in headers (requires Dovecot changes)
* Improve sieve_extprograms plugin:
- Redesign (forcible) local script termination. It should use SIGCHLD and
a ioloop-based timeout.
- Add facility to trigger a temporary failure condition when a program
fails rather than an implicit keep.
- Add a method to implicitly pass environment variables such as SENDER and
RECIPIENT through the script socket service.
* Properly implement Sieve internationalization support (utf-8 handling),
currently it is not complete:
- Make this implementation fully conform section 2.7.2 of RFC5228 (Comparisons
Across Character Sets).
- Verify validity of utf8 where necessary.
- Implement comparator-i;unicode-casemap.
* Make testsuite much more exhaustive:
- Add support for testing the content of result actions
- Test as many error/warning/info conditions as possible.
- Review the specification documents and check whether the given requirements
are tested at least once.
* Fix ManageSieve proxy to recognize response codes from the backend and forward
them to the user if appropriate/safe. Probably means implementing a proper
ManageSieve client library.
* Test ManageSieve behavior thoroughly:
- Test pipelined behavior
- Test proxy authentication
* Code cleanup:
- Make address handling more uniform.
- Review all FIXMEs
* Build a server with test mail accounts that processes lots and lots of mail
(e.g. spam, mailing lists etc.)
Low priority items:
* Implement extlists extension as a plugin
* Enotify extension: detect use of variable values extracted from the message
that are used in the method argument. RFC reports this as a security issue.
* Add support for stream matching for handling large values, e.g. from the body
* Implement message modification and extraction API in order to:
- Implement replace, enclose, foreverypart, mime and extracttext extensions
* Provide a solution for mail_get_headers_utf8 reparsing the whole message each
time it is called (header and address test; Timo might provide solution from
* Use lib/str-find.h for :contains and :matches match types
* Warn during compile if using non-existent folders.
* Implement IMAP plugin for IMAPSieve support:
- Requires some sort of Sieve transaction support.
- Requires (IMAP) METADATA support in Dovecot.
- This may include support for manually running a script on a set of messages
through IMAP (no specification for something like this is available; we will
have to provide our own)
* Variables extension: implement compile time evaluation of constant values
- Detect assignment of too large constant values to variables at compile
* Add development documentation, i.e. comment on library functions and document
the binary and byte-code format.
* Implement sip-message notify mechanism.