Changes in 1.1.0, 27/07/2005
* Free point on a curve can be animated automatically at 4 different
speeds. To use it, just use the Animation top bar menu and then select
a free point on the figure.
* Shortcuts fixes.
* Adrian Ulises Soto did cleaning in the TeXmacs plugin. It also now
possible to write DrGeo Scheme figure, then ask to DrGeo to evaluate
it. At least the TeXmacs plug-in starts to be useful.
* From TeXmacs it is now possible to use the DrGeo menu to insert
DrGeo scheme commands in the session. It is really sweet. Thanks to
Adrian Ulises Soto which implement this feature.
* New and updated locales: Basque, Canadian English, Catalan, Czech,
French, German, Hungarian, Kinyarwanda, Nepali, Norwegian, Spanish.
* New scheme figure examples from Mohamed Choubane and Adrian Soto
Ulises. It is the Koch shape, beware it is intensively recursive and a
tiling example. Visit the folder /usr/share/drgeo/examples/scheme.
Changes in 1.0.0, 1/1/2005
* At least version I of Dr.Geo is there!
* Updated Albanian, British, Chinese (simplified), Dutch, French,
Hungarian, Indians, Norwegian, Portuguese (Brazil) and Spanish
* Bugs hunting in locus, macro-construction and undo/redo tools.
Changes in 0.9.14, 31/08/2004
* Macro-constructions can now handle free point on the plane, free
point on cruve and free value as intermediate elements of a
macro-construction. The coordinates and the values of these objects
are the same to the ones used during the building process of the
This possibility to now use non-dependant intermediate object opens
intersting perspective in the use of macro-construction. For example the
creation of regular polygon. (heu! This is just a stupid example but I am
sure, dear reader, you will do much more fancy things). See the examples
file polygon-7.fgeo and polygon-7.mgeo and the updated documentation.
* Locus are now allowed to be used with macro.
* Update the locus icon.
* Add a Windows menu in the top menu bar. This menu list the open
* Add a dialog less mode to play macro-construction: the macro-construction
can now be executed directly from the top bar Macro-construction menu. The
names of the macro are listed in this menu, as well the macro-construction
descriptions as menu items tooltips. Very helpfull and user friendly
* Updated translations. In particular, a complet Classic Chinese translation
from Taiwan (Prof. Hung Chao-Kuei)
Changes in 0.9.13, 7/6/2004
* Implement a vertical short cut toolbar with a set of preselected
tools. In the main horizontal toolbar, add several buttons to rename,
set/unset the grid, adjust the preferences and access the help.
* Fix a bug in the customise user interface feature: masking the
delete, aspect and property functions was a bit problematic.
* Initial print support: the user can select a printer then
the exporting area is sent to the printer as an EPS document.
* Fix a nasty bug related to object name and the style dialog. When an
object had no name and its style dialog was opened, the object got an
incorrect name pointer (well it was not that simple because it was
mangled in the undo/redo engine), then when the user wanted to delete
it, DrGeo was just crashing!
* Updated translation in various languages.
* Some more examples.
Changes in 0.9.12, 26/1/2004
* Fix a bug related to some internal stuff which makes DrGeo to crash
(for the curious, it is about hidden macro-construction nodes which
after the deletion of some objects become crap ware and need to be
clean up, I hope the clean up is now more efficient)
* 2 new examples from student Hung Chao-Kue, wheel.fgeo is about
block, and light6.fgeo is about microscope.
* Fix a bug related to angle in the PostScript exporter.
* Pre-version of a flydraw exporter written by Odile Benassy. Flydraw
is a format used by Wims for interactive image.
* Updated translations in Albanian, Catalan, Czech, Dutch, French,
Italian, Portuguese, Serbian, Spanish.
Changes in 0.9.11
* Fix the path to the default help file.
* Clean up in the drawable class. It should be easier to write
additional figure exporter.
* Clean up in the drawable class. It should be easier to write
additional figure exporter.
* Fix a bad behavior with scale and arc or circle.
* When exporting to PostScript the Latin accent are correctly exported
* Fix a nasty bugs wich lead Dr.Geo to crash when the user ask for the
distance between a point and a circle.
* Replace the Scheme make-* function names by safer named drgeoMake-*
* Small enhancement in the i18n mark-up.
* Update translations: Czech, Serbian, Spanish, Swedish.
Changes in 0.9.10
* New updated French, Italian, Spanish user manual.
* New spanish synonyms to create Dr. Geo Scheme Figure with spanish
* Fix in the macro system. A bug has appeared with the improvement in
release 0.9.8. The cascading effect was that Dr. Geo hung when saving
oldest style macro. It did not show up with freshly created macro.
* Implement a simple and dirty intersection tool between line and
locus, beware it may not work as you expect. I will eventually
consider extending it if there are enought demand.
* Small patch from Sebastian Kapfer to fix an infinit loop when
parsing line command parameters.
* Implement two new methods getUnit and getNormal in the script
API. These are used to fetch a unit and a normal vector to a
direction. Vectors' norm are equal to 1.
* When exporting to PostScript adjust the scale so that 1 unit = 1 cm.
* Remove a bug which appear when a user edit a free value.
* When an object is created from a DSF, the description in the side
bar is not updated. This really speed up the DSF evaluation.
* Interesting contributed example files from Rhydwen Volsik and
Sebastian Kapfer. See in /usr/share/drgeo/examples/[figures,scheme]
* More examples from Chao-Kuei Hung, these examples show some smart
use of DrGeo for Physcis Teachers.
* New and updated translations: Czech, Danish, Dutch, French, German,
Italian, Norvegian, Polish, Serbian, Swedish.
* Rhydwen Volsik contributed an interesting figure with a lot of loci
and scripts, this figure gave me the opportunity to optimise a bit the
* Continue extending the DSF API. The following Scheme functions were
Changes in 0.9.9
* Impement a quick and cool PNG exporter. It works as the PostScript
and LaTeX exporters. It required the Image Magick package.
* Continue extending the DSF API. The following Scheme functions were
These functions are used through higher level prototypes as explained
at the 0.9.8 release change log bellow.
* Extend the user manual in French to cover the Dr. Geo Scheme Figure
feature. The manual is distributed separately. The latest version can
always be fetched from OFSET CVS at SourceForge.
* Updated Azerbaijani, Chinese (Simplified), Chinese (Traditional),
Czech, Dutch, French, German, Gujarti, Italian, Polish, Portuguese,
Serbian, Spanish, Swedish translations.
* Enhancement in the macro system. Script can now be integrated into
macro (Feature request from Marcel Birthelmer).
Changes in 0.9.8
As usual Dr. Geo brings innovation ;-)
With this release we are proud to introduce our Dr. Geo Scheme Figure
(DSF) feature. In the following release, we will concentrate in
enhancing, stabilising and documenting it. Eventually advices from the
Scheme community will be seek.
Here follow some description about the DSF.
* Set up the Dr. Geo Scheme Figure (DSF) interface to let the user
defines figure as Scheme code. From the interface point of view, we
have added the File->Evaluate menu command which let the user loads and
evaluates a DSF. The cool things about DSF are:
- Figure are mostly written in a rather natural language, this is the
- But the coooolest aspect is that DSF is just Scheme code, which
mean you can define a figure recursively or you can abstract even
higher the way you construct your figure. Let's say defining a triangle
model over the DSF API then using it into your figure definition.
Also a multi-lingual interface will be supported. We have already set
up the specific system to let user define figure in their native
Here are some examples:
1. An empty figure
2. A figure with some free points defined by coordinates
(lets Point "A" free 1 2)
(lets Point "B" free 5 4)
3. A figure with higher level definition
(define (triangle p1 p2 p3)
(Segment "" extremity p1 p2)
(Segment "" extremity p2 p3)
(Segment "" extremity p1 p3))
(new-figure "My triangle")
(lets Point "A" free 0 0)
(lets Point "B" free 5 0)
(lets Point "C" free 0 5)
(triangle A B C)
Scheme is a very high level language, perfect to manipulate abstract
knowledge. We have made a wise choice using it with Dr.Geo, the DSF
shows again how cool is Scheme with geometry concept. Stay tuned with
coming cool development.
Other changes in this version are:
* Enhancement in the localisation.
* Fix a misbehaviour in the tab system.
* Updated Indian, German, French and Swedish translations.
Changes in 0.9.7
* Add the getAngle function in the DGS API. This method expects one
parameter, a reference to an angle object, it returns one measure in
DEGREE. To get a measure in RADIAN, use the getValue function.
* First implementation to turn Dr. Geo as a TeXmacs plug-in. It is
experimental and still very buggy. However when installing Dr.Geo, the
plugin for TeXmacs is installed. From TeXmacs the plug-in can be
found in Text->Session->Dr. Geo
* Implement a minimal unit grid. It can be display per figure, also it
is saved a long the figure.
* Implement an automatic upgrade system for the user preferences
file. The system is mostly entirely implemented in Scheme. This will
avoid problem seen when upgrading Dr. Geo from one version to a
* Updated translations of the user interface in Czech, Dutch, French,
German, Italian, Marathi, Polish, Portuguese, Spanish and Swedish.
Changes in 0.9.6
* Implement the Printing Area Tool: it is used to instruct DrGeo which
area should be used when exporting to EPS and LaTeX. When defined the
Printing Area is saved a long with the geometric figure. This feature
is required to make a TeXmacs plug-in (to come in a next release).
* In numeric::update(), cache the numericPrecision value instead of
fetching it from the configuration file, this speed up the rendering.
* Vertical and horizontal adjustment are correctly set when loading a
Changes in 0.9.5
* When creating several free values, Dr. Geo was crashing
* The user can now select the number of digit printed for the value
objects. User should remove the ~/.drgeo file, otherwise Dr.Geo will
* The zoom level and the figure position are now saved.
Changes in 0.8.4
* The official extension for figure and session documents is .fgeo.
For session file containing only macro-construction. We use .mgeo
* When loading a file the path is recorded so at the next load operation
the file dialog point at the same location
* New complete transaltion in Italian and Dutch of the DrGenius interface.
The user manual should follow.
Changes in 0.8.3
* The English documentation has been review by David Bucknell. This
version of the DrGenius manual should be in good English :) However, I
have decided to not maintain it anymore. Therefore, we are looking for
a new volunteer with good English writing to take over it.
* The French documentation is now the source documentation, where new
stuff are written first. The documentation improvements are in the
"DGS par l'exemple", "M�thode de r�f�rence pour DGS", "Masquer des
outils dans l'interface", "Ouvrir un fichier"
* The API has been widely extended and documented (in the French
manual for now).
* Locus rendering improvement. The locus is cuted when two consecutive
points are too far away from each other.
* Bug fixes: creating a circle equation does not make Dr.Genius to
crash any more.
* Free value and script edition are now undoable.
* We record into a static variable sessionPathName a full filename to
the last saved session. (request from JPG)
Changes in 0.8.2
* Improve the locus sampling. Some internal change was needed, which
may eventually cause strange behavior from DrGenius, if you note such
things, thanks to report it.
* Flickering issue with tip fixed. The tips appearing over item of a
figure do not make the figure to flicker anymore.
* Tips rendering has been improved.
* In select mode, when the user presses the mouse button with the
cursor over the bacrground or when she finished dragging an item, the
item becomes unselected.
* When a value owns a name we display it on the figure as "name =
value" (Request from Michel Brissaud).
Changes in 0.8.0/0.8.1
* Fix a cast problem which make impossible to compile DrGenius with
recent version of GCC.
* Remove a bug which make impossible to select the Preferences menu
* Internal changes to the specific view toolbar. Now each view has its
own toolbar instance instead of a shared one. This allow toolbar
customization for each view.
* New dialog to customize the toolbar of a geometric view. The custome
toolbar is locked with a password which allow a teacher to block the
access to some tools.
* Various update in the french and english documentations.
* For now macro-construction are not handled by the undo/redo mecanism:
we have to empty the queue to avoid crash problem
Changes in 0.7.1
* Patch from Christophe Merlet to compile DrGenius with gcc 3.2.1
* Improve the UI: a pop up toolbar is not closed anymore when the
mouse cursor leaves it. Instead the user need to clic somewhere to
* Remove a bugs which made DrGenius to hang when the user closed a
view or the application.
Changes in 0.7.0
* Straight line name are printed in the drawing area.
* When exporting to EPS, print first the polygon(s) then the other
item(s) of the figure.
* French translation of the DrGenius User Manual, which is also the
online help -- Thanks to Jean-Philippe Georget.
* Fix the problem with Dr.Genius saying error when saving a file
althought the file was correctly saved.
* When the user close the style dialog, the name object is updated
with the name provided in the dialog.
* The whole figure can be moved while pressing CONTROL and the mouse
* Polygon are now displayed correctly in PostScript file. Thanks to
Jean-Philippe Georget for the bug report.
* Removed the empty menu entries cut, copy and paste. These ones will
probably never be implemented.
* Fixed bug in the postscript exporter: arc circle method used to
print geometric angle.
Changes in 0.6.2
* The position in the figure area of the angle of type ANGLE_2VEC was
not saved, remove this bug.
* Implement rotation, symmetry, relfexion, translation and scale for
polygon object. It should be handy to teach/demonstrate these
* Complete theb DrGeo API: (getCoordinates a1) return in a list the
coordinates of a point or vector.
* Translation of the documentation in spanish by Adrian Ulises
Soto. Update the documentation organization to centralise common
documentation layout in the Doc/drgeniusCommon.tex file. The localised
documentation go in their respective folder (i.e. spanish localisation
goes in the Doc/es folder)
* Remove the gtk_layout widget from the drawing area, there is a problem
when resizing the figure area. I will look at that issue latter so
user can plug GTK+ widget in the figure area.
* Several scripts with the same input items parameters can be created,
it was a limitation in previous DrGenius version.
* Script can be created without any input parameter. The user just has
to click on the background of the figure to create such a script.
* Remove a bug with tooltips (i.e. tools tips foreground color becoming
grey instead of black)
Changes in 0.6.1
* New text view. Therefore, text view can included in DrGenius
session. This text view may be remplaced with the GtkMathMl widget.
* Add an affordance to the top level button of the DrGeo toolbar (a
small green triangle indicating there is more under the top level
* Add the toolbar button to change an object property.
* Move the button to select an object to the top level toolbar so it
is more convenient.
* Remove several Bugs.
* Connect the help button of the various Dr. Genius dialog to the help
* Improve the documentation.
* New icons for the Dr. Genius Guile Script (Include provision for the
Changes in 0.6.0
* Implement Guile scriptability. Script item can be added in the
figure. The 0.6.X releases will focus on the developpement of a
suitable API for guile and the developpement of a documentation.
The examples/figures folder contains a figure example, script1.xml
To know the actual API, check drgeo_scm_interface.[cc/h] source code.
Changes in 0.5.15
* Implement a description feature for each open figure in
a tree. A description tree is attached in a vertical panel
at the right of a figure.
Changes in 0.5.14
* New polygon object. This include defining default color setup, style
setup. Also implemented for the Postscript & LaTeX drawable.
Changes in 0.5.13
* Fix bugs that prevent the localisation to work correctly.
* Bug fixes in the tips behavior.
* Fix problem with GOB >= 1.0.10.
Changes in 0.5.12
* Various bugs fix: black screen bug, flickering mouse/tops bugs,
parallel line bug.
* New user preference dialog: the user can adjust the default file
names, undo/redo level, geometric object style. All the preferences
* Redesigned style dialog. The new dialogs are more
intuitive. Different dialogs are used according to the geometric
* New preference dialogs. These dialogs are used to adjust specific
data of geometric object. (ie the coordinate of a free point and the
value of a free value object).
* Due to change in GNU Gettext, the message system in DrGenius is
partially broken, I hope to fix it soon.
Changes in 0.5.11
* The Genius calculator has been removed, the autoconf/automake files
* Figure can be renamed, the function is in the Edit menu.
Changes in 0.5.10
* Multi level UNDO/REDO feature for geometric figures.
Changes to 0.5.5 from 0.5.6
* Geometric engine rewriten from scratch. It is very tiny now, more
easy to maintain and extend. The save format of the geometric figure
and macro-construction has changed. Look drgeo/DevelopersFAQ to know