* Several debian updates.
* Update FSF address in all files.
Changes in version 2.1.8 - 2005-04-25
* debian: Redirect init script output to /dev/null in logrotate
Changes in version 2.1.7 - 2004-11-15
* debian: Add disable and enable to allowed commands in init
* debian: Create echolot user group in proper gid space.
* debian: remove debconf stuff.
* handle empty environment better - previously we would whine
when HOME or PATH were not set.
Changes in version 2.1.6 - 2004-08-07
* Catch a possible use of undefined values in a log trace() call.
Changes in version 2.1.5 - 2004-06-22
* Fix use of an illegal filedescriptor when we know of a remailer,
but do not have keys for it yet/anymore.
* Check if syswrite's return value is defined
(also is: do not write to gpg forever, once it has died or
closed its stdin).
* Tell Mixmaster to create no dummies. It has no remailer keys
and reliability information anyway.
* Increase the number of remailers that need to list an address
before it is added to 6. It was 3 previously.
* Make set fetch=<value> work again.
* Make disable and enable actually work.
Changes in version 2.1.4 - 2004-06-10
* Have new disable and enable commands which are shortcut
for set pingit=off showit=off fetch=off and =on respectively.
* Accept show=, ping=, and fetchit= in addition to their real
names in set.
* Do not accept expired or future mixmaster keys.
* Print summary on notice level, not info, if it was requested
* Remove get_remailers since get_addresses in Echolot::Storage::File
does almost the same.
* Make sure we do not create empty key hashes in metadata.
* gpg interaction cleanup, move a lot of duplicated code to
* Filter out mixmaster outputs to stderr that are no problem.
* There's a TRACE loglevel now, which is even more noisy than DEBUG.
* Changed all pointers to savannah to alioth.
* Removed obsolete tools to convert echolot setups during 2.0beta*
* Handle situations better in which a ping receives when the last
key already is expired, and the remailer no longer exists in
the remailers part of the metadata (only in the addresses part).
* Add a file that describes how Echolot works.
Changes in version 2.1.3 - 2004-04-20
* Improvements to pingd.conf(5) by Colin.
* Use 'Apr' instead of 'Arp' for April. closes: DebianBug#243504.
Changes in version 2.1.2 - 2003-11-04
* Also ignore testing remailers in the thesaurus.
* Also ignore testing remailers in fromlines.
Changes in version 2.1.1 - 2003-11-02
* Fix 0/false in Fetch/Ping/Show in summary report.
* fork() for calling mixmaster, so we can exec() it
rather can using open("| ...") which ivokes a shell.
* Catch SIGPIPE and log it as error.
* Document thesaurusindexfile.
* Minor documentation fixes.
* When asked to shut down, exit immediatly after the current running
task, even if we have a backlog.
* If we run late we should now drop actions where it does not hurt.
* Remove random command invocation via pingctr/init script. People
should just call pingd directly. Also wait for pingd to really
shut down in stop and restart.
* Regularily clean up the temp directory.
* Send out pings every two hours by default.
* Modified statistics generation:
We no longer assume a normal distribution of latencies but instead
use percentiles when calculating a life probability of an outstanding
ping. Also we do not show the mean of latency but the median as
this seems to be 'more correct'.
Also have different weights for pings based on their age.
* Optimized chain pinging: takes less CPU.
* Do not list remailers with the 'testing' capability in
public stats. Testing indicates a node is not ready for real
users' traffic yet.
* Publish operator's address on index page.
* Refuse to run with euid == 0.
Changes in version 2.1 - 2003-03-03
* Minor documentation fixes suggested by Ryan Lackey.
* Adjusted some loglevels (several info got downgraded to debug)
* Removed --pgp2 in CPunk RSA pings.
* Append random garbage to pings so they have different
- random_gabage (default: 8192)
Garbage length is chosen uniformly from 0 to random_gabage
- dev_urandom (default: /dev/urandom)
where to read garbage from (more generally: non-blocking
(low-quality) randomless source)
* Chain pinging: Echolot now finds broken chains.
- do_chainpings (default: 1)
Whether to do chain pinging.
- show_chainpings (default: 1)
Whether to show the result of our chain pinging in the
Several other settings control the details of chain pinging.
You probably don't want or need to tweak them. See
the pingd.conf(5) manual page for details.
- Also adds the new "sendchainpings" command.
* Create an index.txt file in the thesaurus directory which
holds id, nick, and address for each remailer in the thesaurus.
This helps additional tools to utilize Echolot's data.
* Compile a list of default From: lines as well as a list of
remailers which allow user supplied From headers.
* Print status summary to log daily.
- Also adds the new "summary" command.
* Reliable and CRLF - a neverending (sad) story.
* Handle situations better in which a ping is received when the
key already has been expired.
Changes in version 2.0.10 - 2003-02-03
* Return undef rather than 0 if we cannot open a Maildir.
* Add missing use of Carp to Echolot::Storage::File.pm.
Changes in version 2.0.9 - 2003-01-14
* Logging is finally cleaned up. There are two new config options:
logfile and loglevel.
* Automatically remove stale .pid files.
* Trash messages with errors immediately rather than storing them
in mailerrordir forever.
Changes in version 2.0.8 - 2003-01-13
* Work around a bug that let pingd die in certain random cases when
dealing with unuseable PGP keys (like expired keys).
Talk with Frank Tobin from GnuPG::Interface fame led to the diagnosis
that pingd gets a SIGPIPE since the GnuPG process already exited.
* Removed a duplicate line from v2legend.
* Allow periods in hostname.
* Don't use GnuPG::Interface's recipients when encrypting any more as
it is broken with at least GnuPG 1.2.1.
* Always use --no-secmem-warning with GnuPG calls.
* Also use supported remailers from type2 only remailers.
* Reset metadata if status is not defined.
Changes in version 2.0.7 - 2002-12-18
* Added upgrade HOWTO.
Changes in version 2.0.6 - 2002-12-18
* Have support for translated templates
* The templates now make use of CSS.
* Minor documentation fixes by Colin Tuckley
* thesaurusindexfile and indexfilebasename config values should no
longer have the extension (.html) in them
* Fix v2 stats for cypherpunk remailers by using right column title.
* Use '(no subject)' instead of '' as a subject if none is
Changes in version 2.0.5 - 2002-10-25
* Only take default parameters if they are not set in
pingd.conf (as opposed to set to undef).
* Also support setups without user defined mailboxes
(recipient_delimiter set to '').
Changes in version 2.0.4 - 2002-10-16
* Fix pingd.conf(5) manpage a bit (indention levels).
Changes in version 2.0.3 - 2002-10-12
* Set program name according to current action.
* Fix a typo that showed up in perl 5.0005_02 (had a , instead of a .
in an open() when reading mboxen as input).
Changes in version 2.0.2 - 2002-09-21
* Die immeditatly if there is no Version information in metadata.
* Make regular backups of metadata and rotate them properly.
Changes in version 2.0.1 - 2002-09-21
* Store unkown fields from mix summary lines and put them in keyrings.
Changes in version 2.0 - 2002-09-17
* New version number, this is 2.0, really!
* Minor spelling fixes.
Changes in version 2.0rc3 - 2002-09-12
* Write SENDMAIL to mix.cfg
* Add sendpings command.
* Only decrease a remailer's ttl during requesting -conf if
it was requested by the usualy timer run and not by the
* Template cleanup: fix a link and add links to .txt versions
to front page.
* Have install-perl-modules tool.
* Spelling fixes.
* seperate_rlists was renamed to separate_rlists.
* README was improved.
Changes in version 2.0rc2 - 2002-09-08
* Reopen stdin to /dev/null instead of closing it to avoid
perl 5.8 warnings.
Changes in version 2.0rc1 - 2002-09-05
* new version number.
* Random spelling fixes.
* Do not show hidden remailers in thesaurus.
Changes in version 2.0beta34 - 2002-09-04
* Make ping/request time more random.
* Encrypt pings (symmetrically), so that dup detection of some
remailers (austria) fails and pings get processed.
* Write total number of unique remailers to echolot.html.
Changes in version 2.0beta33 - 2002-08-23
* Scheduler fixes (inserted jobs for one time processing got requeued
over and over again according to their interval).
* Give a short summary about current stats on index page.
Changes in version 2.0beta32 - 2002-08-23
* Fix a major bug introduced in 2.0beta31 that resulted in no
remailer-xxx queries beeing sent out.
Changes in version 2.0beta31 - 2002-08-21
* Have a consistent name for the ~/echolot directory in README.
* If you request keyconf from only a few remailers, more requests could
have been sent. Fixed that.
* Write REMAIL n to mix.cfg - apparently it defaults to yes, which
means Mixmaster will want to create keys.
* Fix random typos.
* Fix pingctl script.
Changes in version 2.0beta30 - 2002-08-15
* Write NAME and ADDRESS to mix.cfg - mix cannot figure it out
Changes in version 2.0beta29 - 2002-08-14
* Create .meta files with the expiry date of pages.
* Also put the expiry date in HTML meta headers.
* Make indexfilebasename a configure option.
* Code cleanup: renamed some functions.
Changes in version 2.0beta28 - 2002-08-13
* Write a standard mix.cfg configuration file for mixmaster.
It only sets PUBRING and TYPE2LIST. Needed for systems where
those values are overriden by systemwide defaults.
Changes in version 2.0beta27 - 2002-08-13
* Some small fixes to the Debian Package
Changes in version 2.0beta26 - 2002-08-12
* Fix a few typos in the echolot.html template.
* Added /etc/echolot/pingd.conf to the list of configfiles.
* Have a debian/ directory to build a Debian package.
* Config option mailindir was renamed to mailin. You now
can also point it to a mbox format mailbox.
* Have --quiet.
* Stricter permissions for most newly created directories (go-rwx).
Changes in version 2.0beta25 - 2002-08-10
* Produce echolot.html, an index file for echolot results.
Changes in version 2.0beta24 - 2002-08-10
* Remove �x� from end of pubring.mix summary lines.
Changes in version 2.0beta23 - 2002-08-07
* Unlinking Thesaurus files works now.
* Detach correctly now.
Changes in version 2.0beta22 - 2002-08-05
* Actually use the sane basedir. *sigh*
Changes in version 2.0beta21 - 2002-08-05
* Using a sane basedir by default. You no longer need to specify
it in pingd.conf.
Changes in version 2.0beta20 - 2002-08-02
* Added pingctl wrapper to tools.
* echolot --help now gives a brief list of commands.
* Added acknowledgements.
Changes in version 2.0beta19 - 2002-07-29
* Build keyrings in results.private too
Changes in version 2.0beta18 - 2002-07-23
* Allow for inclusion of broken chain reports and same operator/machine
lists in stats pages. Broken chain reports are not generated
automatically; this is planned for a later release. For now you need
to supply this information in the files broken1.txt, broken2.txt, and
Changes in version 2.0beta17 - 2002-07-22
* You no longer need an extra Mixmaster installation for your pinger.
Echolot can make use of any Mixmaster binary you alread have
* The config hash �Pinger::Mix� is obsolete now. Please set
�mixmaster� to the path of your mix executeable. Echolot now
uses its own mix directory below echolothome by default (config
* The default gnupghome has changed from �gnupg� to �gnupghome�.
* New config option �gnupg�.
* Not the current time but the scheduled start time is used when
deciding which remailers to ping. This is nice if we get delayed for
* Changed URL in templates to point to www.palfrader.org/echolot
instead of the savannah page.
How to upgrade (assuming you have a default configuration):
mv gnupg gnupghome
vi pingd.conf (remove Pinger::Mix, set mixmaster;
cf. pingd.conf.sample )
./pingd [...] start
Changes in version 2.0beta16 - 2002-07-17
* Do not send all pings for the same remailer at the same time
* The cheap hashing function that was used for determining when to ping
was replaced by md5. The local secret also is an input to the
function so not all echolot pingers ping the same remailer at the
* In the distribution the pingd.conf file has been renamed to pingd.conf.
So it should be possible to just untar the new tar.gz over the old
installation (you have a backup anyway, don't you?).
* The getkeyconf command takes optional addresses to request config
* The getkeyconf config option was replaced by getkeyconf_interval and
getkeyconf_every_nth_time. Not all requests are sent at the same time
* Stats can be sorted by latency rather than nick. Set
stats_sort_by_latency if you want that.
Changes in version 2.0beta15 - 2002-07-16
* Have echolot version in stats HTML pages
* Random documentation fixes
* Make it runs with older perls (5.005_03 is tested)
- always pass two arguments to mkdir()
- import SEEK_ constants from POSIX rather than Fcntl
- do not use warnings
Changes in version 2.0beta14 - 2002-07-16
* Added commands buildstats buildkeys and buildthesaurus
* Added legend to templates (Orange)
* Thesaurus building failed when an id did not return a
valid remailer. A check was there bug it was wrong
* Have pingd.conf.5 manpage documenting all options
Changes in version 2.0beta13 - 2002-07-13
* Have correct title tags and some layout changes in the HTML templates
* Encode HTML Entities in HTML Stats
* Only show valid remailers in Thesaurus
* Support �not a remailer� reply to remailer-xxx
* Make sure only the right keys are exported to the pgp keyrings
* Do not skip key if GnuPG returns something in stderr with
Changes in version 2.0beta12 - 2002-07-11
* Cut strings when they do not fit in the table formats
* Sort type2.list/pubring.mix
Changes in version 2.0beta11 - 2002-07-11
* Don't run in Taint mode anymore per default.
If you still want it, trimm your PATH to something acceptable
for perl and add �-T� to the first line of pingd.
Changes in version 2.0beta10 - 2002-07-11
* Don't reset PATH to /usr/bin:/bin any more (Yes, again)
* Documentation updates
Changes in version 2.0beta9 - 2002-07-11
* Don't reset PATH to /usr/bin:/bin any more
* Use confess or cluck instead of croak in some places.
Changes in version 2.0beta8 - 2002-07-10
* Fix public clist.
Changes in version 2.0beta7 - 2002-07-10
* fixed a stupid syntax bug.
Changes in version 2.0beta6 - 2002-07-10
* Did away with Mail::Internet. Using local sendmail binary only.
This also means the smarthost config option is obsolete and there
is a sendmail config option now.
Changes in version 2.0beta5 - 2002-07-10
* Thesaurus filenames changed from nn-foo to nn.foo.
Use the change-thesaurus-filenames script in the tools
directory to convert your current thesaurus if you wish
to keep the data.
* Seperate rlists for rsa, dsa and plaintext pings are
supported now. Enable seperate_rlists in pingd.conf.
* Have a combined list. Enable with combined_list in pingd.conf.
Changes in version 2.0beta4 - 2002-07-10
* Minor documentation fixes
* Added --process switch
* Die if metadata or conf data cannot be parsed
* Build manpage into extra file
Changes in version 2.0beta3 - 2002-07-10
* Fixed a small bug with writing the metadata so that it could not be
Changes in version 2.0beta2 - 2002-07-10
* Moved from XML to Data::Dumper
Use convert-xml-to-datadumper in the tools directory to
convert your setup:
mv pingd.conf pingd.conf.old
mv data/metadata data/metadata.old
convert-xml-to-datadumper CONFIG < pingd.conf.old > pingd.conf
convert-xml-to-datadumper METADATA < data/metadata.old > data/metadata
Changes in version 2.0beta1 - 2002-07-07
* Initial public beta test