Version 1.1.1, Mon Jul 13 2015
* Revert client lowering behaviour from 1.1.0. Also fixes a build error
when virtual desktops are disabled.
* Change default to not warp pointer.
* Don't automatically focus notification windows.
* Don't automatically focus dock windows.
Version 1.1.0, Sun Jul 3 2011
* Respect maximise states while resizing
* Add basic .desktop file
* Add configuration file
$HOME/.evilwmrc - options are one per line, omitting leading dash.
* Add long alternatives to -g, -v and -s
-geometry, -vdesk and -sticky.
* Record pre-maximisation dimensions in evilwm-specific window properties
_EVILWM_UNMAXIMISED_HORZ and _EVILWM_UNMAXIMISED_VERT.
* Extensive EWMH support. See doc/standards.html for details.
* Mostly new Makefile
* Clean up terminology: use "fixed" instead of "sticky": EWMH uses
the term "sticky" to mean something different.
* Add ability to toggle visible state of docks with Ctrl+Alt+D
Usually apps like pagers or launch bars.
* Add -dock option to force app to be considered a dock
* Snap-to-border and colourmap support no longer optional
Though -snap still defaults to 0 (off).
* fix: drawing window outline with border_width > 1 [David Flynn]
(bottom and right edges wouldn't encompass the border)
* build: enable out-of-tree builds [David Flynn]
* build: enable ISO c99 [David Flynn]
* Fix snapping on multiple screens [Ben Stern]
* Window gravity behviour fixes.
* Remove warning about strict-aliasing rules [Larry Doolittle]
Version 1.0.1, Wed Mar 11 2009
* Fix interaction with X and signal handler [Larry Doolittle]
This prevented evilwm from shutting down properly with recent
versions of X.org.
Version 1.0.0, Mon Jun 18 2007
* Don't account for width_inc and height_inc when maximising
* Ignore borders when snapping maximised client to screen edge
* When snapping, prefer screen edge to other windows
* Add basic Xrandr support [Yura Semashko]
Version 0.99.25, Wed Apr 26 2006
* Fix configure requests containing sibling information
* Track vdesk separately on each managed screen
* Only snap against clients on the same screen
Version 0.99.24, Mon Feb 20 2006
* Added -nosoliddrag option [Erik Auerswald]
Version 0.99.23, Mon Feb 6 2006
* Fixed -v option parsing [Robert Blacquiere]
Version 0.99.22, Thu Jan 26 2006
* EWMH hints added so vdesk/sticky states persist across wm change.
* Alt+Tab behaviour modified
to be more in line with what most people expect
* Added -altmask to override Shift as default control behaviour change key
* Added resizing with Ctrl+Alt+Shift+[HJKL]
Version 0.99.21, Mon Jan 16 2006
* Various documentation fixes [Larry Doolittle]
* new.c: nitems_return in get_property() should be unsigned [Larry Doolittle]
* screen.c: draw_outline() is only needed if mouse support or no info
banner support is compiled in [Larry Doolittle]
* ButtonPress notifications shouldn't be needed on root windows: removed.
* events.c: Fix positioning error in handle_configure_request().
Version 0.99.20, Fri Jan 13 2006
* Removed dependency on Motif header files: supply just as much hint
structure information as is necessary to interpret Motif hints.
* Discard enter events on window move, etc.; simpler than searching
through shape extents.
* Switch to using a window border for frame's colour, don't touch
frame background. This allows aterm's "fast transparency" to work.
* Only map a window when managing it if it's supposed to be visible,
instead of mapping then immediately unmapping.
Version 0.99.19, Fri Dec 30 2005
* Info window movement made a bit more sensible.
* Don't remove clients from within error handler, instead flag for
* While removing client, only reparent to root if window is withdrawn
or window manager is shutting down (fixes xpdf-in-firefox bug).
* Window close key with shift held will XKillClient().
* Replace logic to decide if we have a shaped window (cribbed from
fvwm-2.5.10). [Larry Doolittle]
* Warp mouse pointer to a visible point in shaped windows. [Larry Doolittle]
Version 0.99.18, Thu Jun 2 2005
* Fix Alt+Tab crash when there are no clients.
* Added -app option to specify default vdesk (incl sticky), positions
* Fix so shape information is applied on WM startup.
* Split geometry and vdesk out of -app option into separate -g and -v
options (each apply to the last -app defined).
* Add -mask1 and -mask2 switches to override default modifier grabs.
* Handle applications reparenting a window to root - manage them unless
in Withdrawn state.
* Set border size to frame size when unmanaging window.
* Return to properly implemented interpretation of win_gravity on
initial mapping of windows.
* Restore window's original border width on WM exit.
* Remove deprecated 'vdesk' external pager support.
* Stricter warning settings for gcc. [Larry Doolittle]
* Cast unused parameters to void. [Larry Doolittle]
* Declare opt_term statically for now (intent is to allow arguments
to program specified with -term). [Larry Doolittle]
* Try to print ssize_t correctly and within strict standards.
* Add $(EXTRA_DEFINES) to Makefile. [Larry Doolittle]
* Improve punctuation in comments. [Larry Doolittle]
* Use long instead of CARD32 for argument to XChangeProperty() due to
odd X Consortium decision. [Larry Doolittle]
* Un-shadow variable p in remove_client debugging segment. [Larry Doolittle]
* Assign opt_term at compile time instead of malloc. [Larry Doolittle]
* Fuss with execvp casting and comments. [Larry Doolittle]
* Ignore PPosition during window placement (back to old behaviour of
positioning window under pointer unless user-specified).
Version 0.99.17, Wed Oct 15 2003
* Hopefully *really* fix the "losing control of windows" bug.
Testers suggest to me that it is now really gone.
* Implement snap-to-border. [Neil Drumm]
Run evilwm with -snap num to enable the behaviour (num specifies
the proximity in pixels to snap to - 10 is quite nice).
It's worth noting that Per Weijnitz sent a similar patch a while
ago, but I never got around to using it :(
Version 0.99.16, Thu Sep 18 2003
* Fix some Alt+Tab misbehaviour. [Dave Holland]
* Fixed "losing control of windows" problem when switching desktops
rapidly on slow machines.
Version 0.99.15, Sun Jun 29 2003
* Warp mouse to topleft before bottomright for small viewport users.
* Fix the xpdf problem (started up in tiny window), hopefully doesn't
break anything else (XSizeHints manpage suggests width/height hints
* Added identifier shadowing changes, and malloc return value checks.
Version 0.99.14, Wed Jan 15 2003
* First draft proper multihead support - looks like it's working,
needs a bit of testing.
Version 0.99.13, Tue Nov 26 2002
* Only set focus to PointerRoot on entering root window if we
don't have a current window (I'd killed sloppy focus...)
Version 0.99.12, Sun Nov 24 2002
* Fix a small memory leak (and free another allocation that wouldn't leak).
* Make vdesk-changing "autowarp" an option after realising how annoying
* Fixed Alt-Tab-into-nowhere bug that I think would cause an infinite
loop if you tried Alt-Tab on an empty virtual desktop.
* Extended the NumLock keyboard fixes to the mouse button grabs.
* Ripped out most of the VDESK_BOTH code (which didn't work) and
replaced it with code that just calls the 'vdesk' application (which
* Fix small problem with border colours in new code.
* Re-fix multihead "support".
* Better multihead support - entering managed screen will grab keyboard
events, leaving will deselect "current" window.
* Documentation updates.
Version 0.99.11, Tue Nov 12 2002
* Added -DMWM_HINTS (code taken from aewm) as a way of determining
if a border is required for a client.
* Using -display will also set an environment variable DISPLAY= to
be inherited by children.
* Hopefully stop the NumLock related bug reports once and for all by
figuring out which modifier is attached to XK_Num_Lock and grabbing
all keys with that, caps lock and both. Shifting which modifier
Num_Lock is bound to with xmodmap seems to show this working.
Version 0.99.10, Sun Nov 10 2002
* Add a call to setsid() to put spawned xterms into their own process
group. Should finally stop them disappearing on wm exit.
* Fullscreen fixes, tested with xv ('m') and mplayer ('f').
* Hopefully fixed the "grey squares" problem by seeing if an XError
occurred before we got to set up a new client window.
-DINFOBANNER and -DINFOBANNER_MOVERESIZE are now separated so you
can enable it for Ctrl+Alt+I but disable it for move/resize where
it would slow everything down.
* When a window is removed, don't reset current window unless this
*was* the current window. This means all background windows should
grey out properly now.
Version 0.99.9, Thu Nov 7 2002
* Fix potential divide-by-zero for clients that misreport their
Version 0.99.8, Thu Oct 17 2002
* Adjust position of *new* windows trying to fullscreen. [Dave Holland]
* Applied kludge that fixes the IE bug. [David Flynn]
IE is basically doing some *REALLY BAD THINGS*, and neither of us
know why, but David traced it down to generating a single specific
xerror which we can happily ignore.
* Manpage updates.
* When removing a window, map it before destroying its parent (the
border). This should stop things disappearing if you quit evilwm
while using virtual desktops (thanks to Paul Whittaker).
* Changed default font to 'variable' which should exist even if
'lucidasans-10' doesn't (thanks to Paul Whittaker and Dan Field).
* Fix non-soliddrags (broken since 2002-03-26 edit, it seems).
* Add a new window information banner (displayed while moving, resizing
or holding down Ctrl+Alt+I). Enabled with -DINFOBANNER.
Version 0.99.7, Mon Aug 19 2002
* A window that changes size to be >= width/height of screen with
x=0 or y=0 is probably trying to fullscreen, so shift it left/up
by border width in those cases.
* Fixed makefile so it works with BSD make.
* Made move/resize raise the window before doing anything.
* Changed way spawn() works - it now fork()s twice.
* Wait until pointer has moved at least 6 pixels before starting to
move a window - hopefully will mostly eliminate my nicely aligned
windows becoming slightly crooked just because I raised one.
Version 0.99.4, Thu Feb 28 2002
* Added -V option.
* Start the run up to 1.0. Hopefully this will involve solving the
IE bug, but right now I'm not very concerned about it.
* Grab everything with Mod3Mask as well - this should circumvent the
* If an app maps itself (EVIL! EVIL! EVIL!), switch to the virtual
desktop it's on before raising it.
* Added support for vdesk - an external virtual desktop manager
that works by iconifying windows and mapping them back again.
* Added support for the combination of vdesk and the internal
virtual desktop manager. [firstname.lastname@example.org]
* Move all the key bindings out into a separate include file and
add a line in Makefile to override KILL key (for Cygwin).
Version 0.3.11, Sat Jun 2 2001
* Implement Ctrl+Alt+[Left|Right] vdesk switching. [Peter Bailey]
Opinion around the office is that this is a Good
Thing, but not to let it cycle around (e.g., from vdesk 8 to vdesk 1).
So that's what I've put in. Unfortunately reintroduces dependency
on XK_1-XK_8 being contiguous.
* Fix the ordering problem with virtual desktops. [Dave Holland]
Works well, but I think an extra parameter to unhide() is tidier,
so I've done that instead. Much thanks anyway :)
* Did some research into Wayne Myers' inane crash. Another spurious
XError. By simply setting up to ignore the XError, I've "fixed" the
bug. Strange. Tempted to blame GTK+ for now.
* Changed default Makefile to build virtual desktops in, as that's
what seems to break most frequently; and enable solid drags, as
that's what I use.
Version 0.3.10, Sun Feb 18 2001
* Added maximise/vertical maximise.
* Made mouse control optional(!)
* Found the bug that was indirectly causing infinite loops with virtual
desktops enabled. XNextEvent raising an X error - hmm, doesn't say
that could happen in the docs. I don't like the current fix, which is
flag handle_xerror to ignore during that call.
* Ah. After switching desktops, unmapping one window could cause an
enter event for another. By the time the handler is called, that
window is also unmapped, so anything you try and do to handle the
event causes the xerror. Sorted :)
Version 0.3.9, Sat Feb 10 2001
* Fixed unfocused Alt+Tab again.
* Colourmap handling optional, only needed for non-truecolour displays.
Version 0.3.8, Sun Feb 4 2001
* -DSOLIDDRAG now enables.. er.. solid drags. Which look nice but
wouldn't be splendid on a slow machine.
* -DSTDIO is needed to include various error/help messages. Basically
I looked at swm and saw one of its methods of shaving bytes.
INSTALL file provided to explain all the -Ds.
* If a window tries to start itself iconised, map it. That way we
shouldn't get some weirdnesses (tho it might be rude).
* With minimal options, evilwm now comes out to <15K under Linux :)
Version 0.3.7, Mon Jan 15 2001
* -bw option to change border width.
* Also changed all other options to single - due to making more sense
* Stop remembering the name of the window.
* Fixed that daft "last window's gone, can't do anything" bug
* Realised we don't care if window is transient - nothing happens anyway.
* Use some simple fork/exec code instead of system()
... but managed to save space elsewhere just by altering the logic
* Merged the virtual window manager hack in - edit Makefile to include
-DVWM to use. It should be noted that at the moment for any
"official" packages, I'd prefer this was left out...
Version 0.3.5, Tue Nov 7 2000
* Looked into the gravity code and made it more right.
* Divide XxY display by increments if bit set whilst resizing/moving.
Version 0.3.4, Tue Oct 31 2000
* Updated aewm license info by request.
* XK_Insert does same as XK_KP_Insert - may have to rethink that as
it's a 4-key chord on a happy hacking. Almost as bad as emacs!
* Alt+Tab warps account for border width
* Now gets the border the right size when a window resizes itself.
* First window gets an active border now.
* No logs back this far.