Proximity to one end or the other of this list does not necessarily
imply it will be done sooner or later than other items!
- Ditch yada; migrate to...? dh? (yada gone in Debian Wheezy and Ubuntu P.)
Consequences of Qt4 port
mutableimagedisplay actions need attention - hmmm shorcuts would need to be installed for the grid, then dispatched.
Margins in display grid - add command line option to control size ?
Why was DialogMutatableImageDisplay created with :QDialog(parent,0,TRUE) ?
EvolvotronMain destructor called on close ?
statusbar needs right justification ?
New-style include files; move to common
Lots of Qthingy* stuff needn't be declared in headers; clean up
- Migrate to a stock threading/thread pool/futures lib.
- Just make "fullscreen mode support" be the default (and remove text in USAGE).
- Link on webpage to gallery http://gigrafx.110mb.com/evolvotron/index.html
- ...also flickr stuff (xargs?)
- Mouse manipulations: frame rate should be clamped to allow some time to produce a nice image
- At least split out evolvotron_main_history.cpp, even if the class remains nested in .h
- Smaller fragments for big enlargements; seeing unused processors.
- More feedback on when enlargements are ready for saving (have split tasks count now... need more ? yes)
- Triangles quantization mode (c.f hexes, pixels and voxels)
- Linear and cubic interpolation for pixel and voxel mode quantizer
- Enlargement menu: submenus for square, 4:3, 8:5, 16:9. 16x10. 5:4 SXGA 1024x1024 is a bit of an oddball.
And name them, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_display_standard
Cut taken out for 0.5.0 release.
Want cut and blend for those that support it.
Blend should use two functions in some cases.
Can't see how to blend cuts; needs something more like old warp approach.
- Work out how to add warping/blending to the (frieze) symmetry groups so they dont look so "cut".
Hop - Basic, Blend and Cut done. Cut needs attn to fit in with spinhop.
Jump - Basic, Blend and Cut done. (Is just Hop with y=0 reflection). Cut needs attn to fit in with spinhop.
Sidle - Basic. Can't be blended or cut as there are only reflection lines. (Could be blended, but doesn't hide much).
Spinjump - Basic. No blend or cut as there are only reflection lines. (Is just Sidle with y=0 reflection). (Again, could blend but not much point).
Spinhop - Basic. Blend done. Cut done.
Spinsidle - todo
Step - todo
- Not entirely convinced by separate thread pool for enlargements.
On the other hand, do need some mechanism to progress enlargements
while working on main grid.
- Add functions for the 17 "wallpaper" symmetry groups.
Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wallpaper_group is good.
Presumably there are 3D versions too.
See also http://www.mi.sanu.ac.yu/vismath/ana/ana5.htm
- The function properties dialog could construct a QListView instead of just displaying the XML.
But then you'd want full editing capabilities too (and why not?)
- When mutating parameters, have a chance of a "special" reset to "interesting" values, and maybe even patterns of values.
- Debian transitioning Apps to Applications (post Etch) see bug #361418
- GPLv3 ? Don't understand what else needs to be (e.g Qt3 etc)
- Maybe icon setting could do with some more attention; probably there are more things which should set it
(e.g respawn coloured) and loading could set a flag defering icon setting until that view is ready.
- Boost post-1.33 changes usage of ptr_map, apparently. (Waiting for 1.34 to hit Debian Testing).
- MutatableImageComputer::push_todo could handle defer a bit better.
Actually, complete overhaul of queue/computer kill/defer/abort would be better.
Computers should check priority on head of queue periodically and switch if there's
something better to work on.
- Move InstanceCounted out of useful.h (and #include <map> with it)
- Changing lock state triggers a redisplay.
Lock state would be better associated with displays than MutatableImages,
but the history archive doesn't support anything but changing images; needs
additional abstraction of general notion of change of a display's state.
Can live with this for now.
- Use reStructuredText instead of own python txt->html converter.
(Then use fracplanet htm->qml converter).
- Mode (genesis mode?) which traverses grid, creating a new image every few seconds.
First click stops mode. Useful for getting started.
- Transform<->vector<real> should output basis vectors first, translation last.
- is_constant not enough to avoid boring images.
Need to actually check amount of variation.
- Get rid of heat/cool etc buttons cluttering up status bar
and just have (new) autocool tick, and reheat button ?
- Functions with similar names probably do much the same
thing so reduce their weighting to avoid them dominating.
- FriezeGroups should add an extra parameter for
repeat length rather than using 1 all the time.
Likewise for spheres.
- Move LoadHandler out of mutatable image.
- QFileDialog seems to support previewing; enable
it for file contents previewing in file dialog.
Make it as easy as possible for contributors to submit new languages.
- Ability to set animation mode from GUI (property of an image function ?)
- Ability to set spheremap mode from GUI (property of an image function ?)
- Keyboard shortcuts for all of reset/restart/remix
- Display mutation parameters permanently on status bar.
- Scripts entry on context menu; pipes XML to things in ~/.evolvotron/scripts directory
- Make middle-mose-button adjustments work sensibly with -spheremap
- Option for save function to also generate thumbnail at the same time ?
(Maybe not with previewing)
- Look into mime-type registration and auto-thumbnailing in nautilus, KDE etc
(pipe through evolvotron_render)
- Browse window to show thumbnails for all .xml files in a directory.
- DialogFunctions and DialogMutationParameters don't notice when the other dialog modifies MutationParameters.
Fortunately this doesn't matter because they (will) control completely disjoint aspects of it.
Could do with proper model update propagation/validation if things get any more complex though..
- linz and -spheremap need rationalising before we add more projections
- Ability to change linz and spheremap attributes on properties menu.
- Supplement spheremaps with... what ? Cubemaps ? Volume output ?
- Heat/Cool etc buttons in status bar not very interesting.
Replace with autocool controls, or have them actually fire off
a respawn from the last spawned image; would get more of an idea
of how much effect there is then.
- MutationParameters should be held by EvolvotronMain with pointers passed
- Different projections for evolvotron_render, maybe main app (e.g spheremaps, cubemaps, volumes).
- Display properties dialog should have small copy of image
- "Evolvotron corpus"; publish mode & viewer app to see other users' creations
How ? Jabber conference! (It's all XML).
- Quick 'n easy way of pushing to Flickr ?
- Proper dependency and generation by qmake of libevolvotron/usage_text.h
- Rationalise configure options: fs/nofs (doc/nodoc?)
- -h & --help option. Print version and functions supported.
- man pages ? Knock off something simple.
- Window ordering (and whether fullscreen) should be an input to
compute priority. Need to be able to change priorities once tasks
are in queue, and re-order queue.
- Give some sort of control over pixel aspect ratio.
A nice circular image in a square display on the screen is
squished when rendered to a rectangular image.
Best solution probably to offer cropped modes e.g "640x480 from 640x640".
Alternative solution would be 4:3 mode for the whole app where the evaluation
range is changed. Harder to explain though.
- [Local] Clean up evolvotron_admin/evolvotron_gallery
- Check qmake can be found by configure.
Check $(QTDIR)/bin first... RH seem to be unusual in copying it to /usr/bin
- evolvotron_render default output (or with filename "-") should be to stdout.
(The problem is that Qt's image writing libs only support file output).
Could create a /tmp file behind the scenes, or write something simple like PPM.
- File save dialogs should remember which directory they were last accessing.
(Maybe a Qt problem)
- Replace FunctionNode::stub() with FunctionRegistry based code
- Create registry of all function node types (done)
- Use to bring up a panel for setting relative frequencies (check for exploding branching ratios)
- Button to spawn images with a specific type of top level node (would be great for testing)
- Allow iterative/allow fractal would then become convenience buttons for quick-setting a whole group of frequencies
- Classification scheme for function types (basic, smooth, chooser, complex, expensive).
- More types of mutation
- Substitute a node for a different type, retaining it's settings (expand/cull as necessary)
- Nodes near top level should have more chance of mutation ?
- evolvotron_mutate standalone exe should provide more control
(heat/cool/irradiate/shield options, recolour/warp options, animation options).
- Combining/breeding image pairs.
Create a new top level node with 2 or more args and add the parents to it.
Create a new random stub and insert the parents at random points.
Insert one image at a random point into the other.
Concatenate (function compose) the 2 images (probably not v. interesting)
Need to prune too to keep size under control.
- Get rid of silly xyz and matrix dependence on general tuples and templates.
(Can be well optimised, but only with heavyweight compile options.)
- Profile & optimise.
- Spawn recoloured could be linear, quadratic (or generalised?) versions.
- Undo needs to save more state to work properly (e.g state for respawn)
Make history know about "MutatableImageHolders" rather than Displays,
and have last spawned be held in such an object too.
- Have a function type which can suck in random images from directories of images
(specified by environmental variable ?)
Filename would need to be retained in node and XML for reproducibility.
- Optimise drag: just recompute new area (needs image subregions for tasks).
- Option (default on) to automatitcally respawn boring constant images as soon
as they've been computed to a certain resolution.
- Web front end to commandline tools: an evolvotron web-server.
- Command line option for border around images... use space to indicate locked status.
- Maybe add "view" menu: like warp but just applying to current image (like drag)
(would need explicit control over amounts: maybe drag approach better ?).
- Last method used should point to an object encapsulating the behaviour
(so warp spawn method can encapsulate a transform factory).
Needed for breeding behaviour (so can keep 2 last images).
- Undo needs to restore _last_spawned too (but do above first and keep hisory of spawn methods).
- Command line option to enable/disable fractal and iterative types.
- "Unlock all" on edit menu
- Reset & Restart: combine and bring up modal "are you sure" dialog box which can also contain check boxes for what to reset:
function freqencies (when implemented)
- Quit should bring up "are you sure" dialog.
- Option to increase number of iterations of certain types of iterative node in an image (i.e "accuracy")
(probably makes sense for Mandelbrot/Julia or a sampling blur where it just increases the detail,
but less useful for repeated function mapping).
- "Move all locked to start" on edit menu
(or move them to a "safe area", or save them in reloadable form).
- Save whole grid as a single image (from File menu).
- Save whole grid to an XML file.
- Context menu option to bring up info about an image
(in particular number of nodes and max depth)
- Reference counting for images
(far too much deepcloning currently; e.g to tasks and history).
But if it ain't broken don't fix it.
- Use hourglass cursor over displays which haven't got final high resolution yet ?
(Really need combined hourglass/pointer cursor but Qt doesn't have one built in).
- Computing zero co-ordinate sometimes gives unusual output (black lines across images).
Avoid by jittering co-ordinate (would break up jaggies), or just avoid exact zero ?
- Why stop at screen resolution ? Antialiasing by supersampling.
- Separate tool (?) to evolve images towards a given image.
How close would it get and how quickly ?
Would the process of getting there be interesting (e.g as an animation) ?
- Compute farms on multiple remote machines.
- Menu options to add/remove rows/columns from display grid
- Autocool of mutation parameters
(probably shouldn't be on by default; control from command line).
- Heat/cool etc should act in proportion to current values
(probably wanted for autocool).
- Evolve other things
e.g parameters of celluar automata/reaction diffusion equations/iterated function systems.
- Rationalise MutatableImageNode::stub so more work is done by Node constructors
(just pass in a MutationParameters).
- Avoid misleading moire patterns by jittering samples
- No low-res images option for when using remotely via X11 over slow link
(they take longer to display than compute) (running over compressed ssh helps a lot though).
- Evolvotron_mutate should support -x/-X options.
- Think of more functions:
Blending counterparts for switching/choosing functions.
Streaking version of windmill functions.
Square "Bhuddist mandala" versions of kaleidascope
Iterative function generating a list of point co-ordinates... then test for blobs or make paths
(would be more efficient with a cached/precomputed element to functions).
- Could avoid bitBlt when reassembling fragmentary animation renders by fragmenting on
frame instead of by screen area. Don't think this is a big enough deal (saves a bit
of copying in a little used feature) to be worth bothering with.
- More warp types (rotate time into space etc)
- More control over animation (frames & framerate) from edit/options menu
(or on a display by display basis ? Then "big" images could have
more frames and higher framerates)
- Ability to degrade temporal resolution with spatial resolution
at low-res render levels
- Support animation in evolvotron_render
- Sync animation to xmms beat somehow ?
- Option to sweep z sinusoidally or linearly
- Option to bounce or cycle z
- Make frames, frame-rate, sine vs. linear, loop vs. bounce properties of the image.
- evolvotron_match hasn't been seen to do much but converge
towards general overall color of target.
Try matching in edge-detected space or something ?
- Add #ifdef INSTANTIATE_FN (or move to .cpp) around evaluate methods
implemented in .h ? Only really justifiable for fn .h included in multiple
places (not that many of them; NB function registration doesn't see these).
Not worth bothering with.