# PolarSys B612 font family
B612 is an highly legible open source font family designed and tested to be used on aircraft cockpit screens.
Main characteristics are:
- Maximize the distance between the forms of the characters
- Respect the primitives of the different letters
- Harmonize the forms and their spacing
## The genesis of PolarSys B612
In 2010, Airbus initiated a research collaboration with [ENAC](http://www.enac.fr) and [Université de Toulouse III](http://www.univ-tlse3.fr/) on a prospective study to define and validate an “Aeronautical Font”: the challenge was to improve the display of information on the cockpit screens, in particular in terms of legibility and comfort of reading, and to optimize the overall homogeneity of the cockpit.
2 years later, [Airbus](http://www.airbus.com) came to find [Intactile DESIGN](http://intactile.com) to work on the design of the eight typographic variants of the font. This one, baptized B612 in reference to the imaginary asteroid of the aviator Saint‑Exupéry, benefited from a complete hinting on all the characters.
## Releasing a new version of the font
- Make a copy of the source files
- Open the copies in Fontlab
- Run the merge intersection command on each file
- Update the version number in the font info and generate the ttf files
- Run the build script from the scripts folder to fix digital signature and GASP / prep table issues
Copyright (c) 2012, AIRBUS (airbus-group.com). All rights reserved.
This program and the accompanying materials are made available under the terms of the Eclipse Public License v1.0 and Eclipse Distribution License v1.0 and the SIL Open Font License v1.1 which accompanies this distribution. The Eclipse Public License is available at [http://www.eclipse.org/legal/epl-v10.html](http://www.eclipse.org/legal/epl-v10.html) and the Eclipse Distribution License is available at [http://www.eclipse.org/org/documents/edl-v10.php](http://www.eclipse.org/org/documents/edl-v10.php). The SIL Open Font License v1.1 is available at [https://scripts.sil.org/OFL](https://scripts.sil.org/OFL)