The Mondulkiri Font Family
Khmer Unicode Fonts
This file provides detailed information on the Khmer Mondulkiri family of fonts.
This information should be distributed along with the Mondulkiri fonts and
any derivative works.
Basic Font Information
The Mondulkiri fonts provide Unicode support for the Khmer script.
"Mondulkiri" is the name of a province in north-eastern Cambodia,
These fonts are provided free of charge. Previous versions of the fonts have
been available since 2003 but are now available on the SIL website.
The following fonts from the Mondulkiri typeface family are included in this
* Khmer Mondulkiri Regular
* Khmer Mondulkiri Bold
* Khmer Mondulkiri Italic
* Khmer Mondulkiri Bold Italic
* Khmer Busra Regular
* Khmer Busra Bold
* Khmer Busra Italic
* Khmer Busra Bold Italic
(This should list both major and minor changes, most recent first.)
8 September 2014 (Diethelm Kanjahn) Mondulkiri Font Family version 7.100
- Mondulkiri changes:
* The hinting has been improved, the difference between regular and bold
is visible on screen in much smaller font sizes than before.
* A few bugs were addressed: the disappearing of glyphs on Mac in certain
strings that do not occur in correctly typed text, a positioning problem
in some Tampuan words on Mac, one syllable in Bunong text on Windows/Linux.
* Minor changes in diacritic placement, mostly on Mac. Coeng Kho and coeng
Ttha were modified.
* Glyphs were added - mostly in the phonetic symbols section. The shaping
tables for Mac were streamlined and are now the same as for the Busra font.
- Busra changes:
* The fonts now have AAT tables so that they work on Mac OS X
* many glyphs were added, the glyph range is the same as in Mondulkiri 7.100
* many glyph shapes and diacritic placements were improved slightly
* the ligatures of some consonants with the �sra-a�, �sra-oo� and �sra-ou�
have changed and are now the same as in Mondulkiri.
* hinting has been improved
* most other changes from Mondulkiri 5.300 to 5.513 are now also in Busra 7.100
* The descender value was changed which may affect line spacing.
31 October 2012 (Diethelm Kanjahn) Mondulkiri Font Family version 5.300
- Split Khmer Mondulkiri fonts from older fonts release
- Support for Apple's AAT rendering system (tested in OS X 10.6.8) as well as
Microsoft OpenType tables.
- Support for typographical features to be used under OS X with software that
does support them (like Pages or TextEdit, but apparently not MS Word or
- Support for 'Stylistic Sets' that provide similar options in OpenType as the
�typographical features� in OS X. These Stylistic Sets work in Adobe software
(tested with CS5 and 5.5 on PC), but not in MS Word. MS Word 2010 does support
Stylistic Sets, but apparently only for Latin scripts.
- Support for Khmer Unicode in Adobe CS5 and CS5.5. Two of the Stylistic Sets
address the remaining problems. Please refer to the documentation on stylistic
- Many Latin script characters have been added. The bold fonts now have also
bold Latin characters.
- Some of the vowel-a ligatures have been changed (e.g. Cho-AA).
- Many characters have been slightly modified. Most significantly the �hooks� or
�hair� of some coengs have been removed(e.g. coeng-Kho, coeng-Ha, coeng-Qa).
- The positioning of many characters was modified.
- Many other smaller modifications of glyphs and rules.
- To prevent register shifters from being rendered as subscript
zero-width-non-joiner has now to be inserted before the register shifter in
accordance with The Unicode Standard. Also zero-width-joiner has to be in this
position now to force the alternative rendering.
- Increased the descender by a small amount so that second level elements are no
longer cut off.
- For users of the Tampuan language: coeng-vo after coeng-ro and shifting of
samyuk before reahmuk are now enabled by default. The Tampuan option now only
covers the width of space and the permission to use samyuk after reahmuk.
- The support for the use of vowels and coengs with independent vowels in OS X
is limited. If there is a real need for improvement please contact the font
- Changed position of quotes (U+2018-9, 201C-D) and mirrored U+201C.
09 November 2010 (Diethelm Kanjahn) Mondulkiri Font Family version 5.300
- First version released under the SIL Open Font License
- First version released on http://scripts.sil.org
- Added fonts: Ratanakiri, all italic typefaces
- Renamed fonts: Busra and Oureang
- Major OpenType code revisions
- Corrections of outlines to comply with TTF conventions
- Many small edits of the outlines
- Outlines are now TrueType outlines
- Improved hinting
- Added characters
- Size of Khmer base characters now equivalent to Roman capital letters.
2005-09-16 (Diethelm Kanjahn) Mondulkiri Font Family version 1.1
- OpenType and Graphite test fonts
2003-04-12 (Diethelm Kanjahn) Mondulkiri Font Family version 0.9
- first public release as legacy fonts
N: Diethelm Kanjahn
D: Designer and font engineer
For more information please visit The Mondulkiri Font Family page on SIL
Computers and Writing systems website:
Support through the website: http://scripts.sil.org/Support