Summary of changes between Unix Frotz 2.32R2 and Unix Frotz 2.40:
Unix Frotz 2.40 was released on Saturday November 11, 2000.
- Tab-completion now works in the middle of a sentence.
- Assorted fixes to make gcc stop complaining when using -Wall and -ansi
flags. These fixes included adding curly braces to avoid
ambiguous-looking if-then-elses, adding parens to avoid abiguous-looking
ands and ors, initializing variables even though there was no need to.
- Several functions in ux_text.c used functions that wanted
*char. Instead they were being passed *zchar. Irix's cc
complained. Casts were added to fix this.
- The terminal erase character, as set with stty, now functions as
backspace. On many terminals, this character is DEL.
- Background colors should now work properly.
- timeout() from curses is now used for times input instead of a busy
- ^L and ^R now redraw the screen instead of being passed as input to the
- ISO-Latin-1 characters are now valid input unless in plain ASCII mode.
This makes the meta bit unusable for hotkeys. On terminals with 8-bit
character sets, alt usually sends ESC anyway.
- With zstrict error-checking tuning, the -i (for ignore errors) is
superfluous and therefore has been removed.
- A supplementary memmove() function has been added for machines that lack
it. As I don't have access to a machine like this, the code is
- Merged changed from Frotz 2.40 for DOS.
- Beginning with 2.40, the reference version of Frotz (the DOS version) is
distributed under the GNU Public License rather than the old "no
commercial profit" license.
- Unix Frotz 2.40, like the reference version, is now distributed under
the GNU Public License.
- V6 games supported by drawing the outlines of pictures. True display of
the graphics are on hold until the X11 with GTK version is complete.
- Classical Infocom sound effects supported through the OSS drivers. I'm
only aware of "Lurking Horror" and "Sherlock: The Riddle of the Crown
Jewels" as having such sound effects. See the INSTALL file for
information on where the sound files should go.
- System-wide and per-user config files.
- Quetzal save format is now the default. Old Zip 2.0 format is still
supported by command line option or config file setting.
- $ZCODE_PATH and $INFOCOM_PATH environmental variables searched for game
- Faster undo functionality (borrowed from Nitfol).
- History searchs has been added. Type the beginning of a past command
and hit the up or down arrow key.