FVWM-Crystal TODO / Roadmap
The content of this file is a relic. Anyway, I done so much bug fixes and
improvements that the next release number will certainly divert from what
is described here. My priority was first to fix existing functions like
Fullscreen. This was not only wanted, but also needed, because to have
good working functions is the only way to go in order to exploit them
to their full potential.
I will keep the rest of this file like it is for historical raison,
and also because it is some good ideas.
- The colorset implementation sucks. Need standardisation, extension and more
- As mentionned by harnir, pixmaps implementation sucks too. This is not
limited to colorsets but seam mostly related with flaky Xorg drivers
and maybe also transparency support.
- The FvwmScripts are not internationalized.
- Investigate how it is possible to make a FvwmScript Font Selector. It must be
possible to show not only the font name, but also how it look.
- More recipes, especialy for wide-screen (16/9, ...) screens. Maybe put
all the decorations and the title bars on the left or the right.
- One directory per recipe? I am not sure. It would be nice to find a way
to create wrappers for the decorations. That would simplify the code in
the recipes, but presnet the risk of standardisation.
Also, study the configuration of Fvwm-Nightshade. It have very nice decorations,
is simple and is well commented.
- More players, especialy the multimedia ones like xine or VLC.
- MPlayer sucks. MPlayer2 sucks too. This seam to be related with flaky X graphic
drivers. Not much to do here. Ctrl-Alt-F<n> and kill(all) are our friends.
- The Expose clone sucks. It is very flaky. Find a way to swallow display but
with transparency, or find another application than display which will
* Version 3.0.5 (devel)
I'm thinking about releasing this one as a "development" release, since last
version was released many months ago... It would be good to show that project
is not dead. Preferred date of the release - end of April 2007.
- remove all non-free icons from the source tree; that would be the Firefox
icon, commercial application and game icons, and other with unknown license
terms. For now applications can go without replacement icons, but if you
have some on the free license, bring 'em on;
- add support for stalonetray/trayer in all current recipes;
- synchronize application and menu icons with the Tango Project. Good source
of icons is on the http://tango.freedesktop.org/Tango_Fridays site;
- add support for gnome-session proposed by Dominique Michel;
* Version 3.0.6 (stable)
This version should be focused on polishing current code, removing bugs and
adding missing translations and documentation. Proposed release date: summer
2007 (July or August probably).
- create a downloadable package or repository with all non-free application
icons, so users can easily download them and use on their desktops if they
wish. I know that not all apps will have free icon alternatives and some
people prefer Mozilla Firefox logo instead of IceWeasel;
- find a way to better handling of 'fvwm-crystal-minimal' vs main version.
I just don't feel that it's very useful at the moment, maybe there's
a better way to do this? Possible way is to split the package into:
'fvwm-crystal' - main "core", 1 or 2 window decorations (preferably Crystal
and Clearlooks), some application icons (xterm.png, default.png,
directory.png, something else?), 1 wallpaper (fvwm-crystal-dark1)
'fvwm-crystal-artwork' - rest of the wallpapers/window decorations/icons,
That way Crystal will be either small but functional (good for LiveCD) or
big and colorful ("normal" distributions);
- add new translations, update the current ones with the missing strings;
- debug all recipes;
- add the documentation sources in DocBook format, create a Makefile entry to
easily generate the different documentation formats from DocBook;
- write a doc about Crystal's configuration structure and initialization
process - it's somewhere on the list, but the better place would be to
include it in the doc/ directory;
- finish writing FAQ and Application database documentation;
- update all window decorations to support UTF-8 strings (similar way as the
menu supports it, although this way is a dirty hack, maybe in the newest
FVWM release it's already fixed?);
- clean up the application database - support for xfg menu structure is nice,
but for me still some applications are in different sections than they
should be. Add icons for as many applications as we can;
* After 3.0.7
New ideas, scripts and configurations... Any thoughts?
- add gettext support for FvwmApplet-MpdPlEd
- do something with colorsets, they suck... I just don't know if
implementation in Crystal sucks or how FVWM handles colorsets suck ;)
Anyway, pixmapped panels would be cool, but how to make good
Integrate colorsets with recipes. Put recipes in subdirectories, so they can
use their own pixmaps for shaped panels, etc. Colorset numbers need to be
changed: #1-#4 for window decorations (that's max they can use anyway), the
rest for panels/menus/forms, depending on the recipe.