Gaphor is a UML CASE tool aiming for symplicity. It is written in Python.
The goal is to write as much as possible in Python (easy scriptable for
So here's what has to be created:
- A main window containing a tree-like representation of the classes
- Windows which display the various diagrams
- A model that contain all abstract data (generate from the UML metamodel
- Graphical items for classes, use cases, etc. (in C)
- Keep the code modular and easy to extend in Python
The main window can be created in Python. It can be created using Glade.
We need a custom GtkTreeModel class that acts as a view over the UML model.
The model is very extensive since it is generated from the UML Metamodel
Diagrams have to be displayed in separate windows. Each window should carry
a toolbox with diagram related objects. We do not restrict the use of elements
from different diagram types in one diagram (like the Catalyst method).
Actually we do restrict as little as possible, as long as it is permitted by
The data model itself is generated from the UML Metamodel. This has the
advantage that we can do everything with it as long as the OMG's (Object
Management Group <http://www.omg.org>, they develop UML now) rules are
Of course we need something to draw. The items that are to be placed on the
diagrams need to be created.