There are many minor improvements needed, but there is no point listing them
here as they will probably be out of date.
Some of the longer-term plans are:
- Support external widgets/components, using gmodule's dynamic loading and
GTK+'s support for getting/setting widget Args, and also Gnome's
bonobo component model (we already have partial support for Bonobo.)
- A Corba interface, so Glade can be integrated with IDEs or other apps that
want a form builder, e.g. gnome-db, evolution.
- Improved source code output.
We could use structs to hold pointers to all widgets instead
of the current method of storing pointers by using
gtk_object_set_data() and letting the user get them
using lookup_widget(). This is too cumbersome.
We could also place source code for each component in a
separate file, including the signal handler functions which
users edit. Comments would be used to delimit generated
source code, so we can regenerate without affecting user
May also include a simple editor to allow code to be edited
- Rewrite property editor (as an Object), so you can set the properties of
multiple widgets at once. Also move all properties onto one scrollable
page, and have one other page for signal handlers. Move style and
accelerator properties to separate dialogs. For the signal handlers,
list all available signals with an entry to set the handler function
name and a button to show the handler source code?
- Support for Styles & rc files.
- Make it easy to develop database apps. We have some support for GnomeDB,
though this needs a lot more work.
- Support for Undo/Redo.
Damon, 24 Sep 2000