Subject: NTK Now, 2002-08-30
From: [email-masked] Mon Sep 2 12:29:16 2002
To: NTK recipient list <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 16:33:18 +0100

_   _ _____ _  __ <*the* weekly high-tech sarcastic update for the uk>
| \ | |_   _| |/ / _ __   __2002-08-30_ o join! mail an empty message to
|  \| | | | | ' / | '_ \ / _ \ \ /\ / / o [email-masked]
| |\  | | | | . \ | | | | (_) \ v  v /  o website (+ archive) lives at:
|_| \_| |_| |_|\_\|_| |_|\___/ \_/\_/   o     http://www.ntk.net/

        "A case in point is web designer Matt Jones, the man 
         responsible for how BBC News Online looked when it launched. 
         Since then, he has invented 'warchalking', which he recently 
         described as a 'curse'..."
                              http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/2210091.stm
                  - but you cannot turn against me! I... created you!

                                >> HARD NEWS <<
                               stiffening sinews

         More hot summer days in the mailinglist alleyways,
         dangerously empty of sane postings, strewn with the rotting
         carcasses of broiling vacation messages. Hacktress and
         Silicon Valley's chief rat-keeper LILE ELAM, excitedly posts
         about a new open 802.11 network she's found. "I am here at
         the police station waiting to see a judge and I thought I
         would check to see if there is connectivity", she writes,
         somewhat recklessly, to the Bay Area Wireless list. Exit
         the rest of the Wifi community through the nearest window
         and out into the streets... where, cooling tempers, the
         Microsoft Palladium boys are on an endless summer tour,
         reassuring the experts that while, hmm, they *suppose* Pd
         could *theoretically* be used as a Hollywood DRM system,
         they truly have no plans to do any such thing. Cypherpunk
         and friend of freedom Lucky Green hears this; thinks up four
         or five of the obvious Palladium DRM implementations; sends
         them off to be patented in his name. Licensing funds, we
         imagine, will go on cracking his own DRMs. And so the mail
         loops on.
         http://lists.bawug.org/pipermail/wireless/2002-August/008507.html
                                 - administrivia: HI MOM, I'M IN JAIL
    http://www.mail-archive.com/[email-masked]/msg02554.html
                             - Green/Palladium, like Green Kryptonite

         Could Lucky get himself arrested under the DMCA for
         distributing a circumvention device? Worse: now we have the
         EUCD incoming, could he here in the UK? Will Alan Cox go to
         jail for posting detailed Changelogs? Will even the nicest
         UK cryptographer (or curious garage tinkerer) find
         themselves hauled up under our new and scarily DMCAish
         copyright regime? Find out the facts at the free FAIR DEAL
         FOR COPYRIGHT conference, organised by the irrepressible
         FOUNDATION FOR INFORMATION POLICY RESEARCH for Wednesday
         2002-09-18 at the London School of Economics. All the usual
         fun from the creators of the Scrambling for Safety crypto
         cons: we confidently predict government spokesmen caught in
         headlights, wanton Dave Bird heckling, some industry bigwig
         fighting off the audience with a broken chairleg, and other
         epiphenomena of the interzone between legal minds and hacker
         ethics. Oh, and FIPR are still looking for a Programme
         Director, so if you're interested, let them know. We
         suggested a convention raffle (first prize: the director's
         job, second prize: Ross Anderson as your personal slave for
         a day). They say there's some rule that would break, though.
         http://www.fipr.org/vacancy.html
- doesn't the Foundation use psychohistory for filling these positions?

         For those of us who can't read the abbreviation EULA without 
         thinking of Martian fighting machines and their "deafening 
         howls... which roared like thunder", we're sorry to report 
         that this weekend's multimedia performance of Jeff Wayne's WAR 
         OF THE WORLDS has been postponed due to "health and safety 
         issues". The event was to feature computer graphics, 
         fireworks, "60ft-tall Martian fighting machines" wreaking 
         "havoc and destruction", and - most terrifyingly of all - the 
         possibility of a David Essex tribute singer performing with 
         Hawkwind, but UKP18 tickets for the Sat 2002-08-31 show at 
         Manchester's Heaton Park will still be valid at a range of new 
         venues next summer. Ironically, the Martians' original 
         invasion plans were similarly thwarted by health and safety 
         issues, "slain after all man's devices had failed by the 
         humblest creatures that God, in his wisdom, has put upon this 
         earth: bacteria. Minute, invisible, bacteria. For, directly 
         the invaders arrived and drank and fed, our microscopic allies 
         attacked them..."
         http://www.waroftheworlds.info/postpone.htm
                           - "...From that moment, they were doomed."

                                >> ANTI-NEWS <<
                             berating the obvious

         moving on from PUERILE GOOGLE MISSPELLINGS, weird search-and-
         replace artefact: http://www.google.com/search?q=consideyellow ,
         Japanese fan sites for "plince", "steery dan", "def reppard" 
         et al, plus the 18,000 or more self-referential Usenet .sigs: 
         http://groups.google.com/groups?q=%22get+random+signatures%22 
         ...http://www.colocation-network.com/ "Zerodowntime" ad leads 
         to: http://www.ntk.net/2002/08/30/dohzero.gif ... slightly 
         harsh alt text: http://www.ntk.net/2002/08/30/dohover.gif ... 
         US military discovers the only "translator" those bastards 
         seem to understand: http://www.ntk.net/2002/08/30/dohgun.gif 
         ... scary blue men herald return of the bizarre BBC hacking 
         pics: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/1494091.stm ... reporter RYAN 
         DILLEY http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/2202552.stm pulls his 
         http://starwars.org.pl/galeria/e2/char/anakin/t001.jpg face 
         ... banjo maestro GEORGE FORMBY still alive, cooking, black: 
     http://www.readersheds.co.uk/readersheds/shop.cfm?WOSNAMES=Wosnames
         ... thanks guys, that ought to do it: http://www.eap.ca/ ... 

                               >> EVENT QUEUE <<
                         goto's considered non-harmful

         Controversially, we're all in favour of THE GUARDIAN GREAT 
         BRITISH BLOG COMPETITION (closing date next Fri 2002-09-06, 
         first prize UKP1000, entry free), in that any initiative that 
         encourages this notoriously primadonna-ish "community" to try 
         and engage with real-world notions of editorial quality surely 
         has to be a good thing. Our only disappointment is that The 
         Guardian appears to be focussing on the "best" of the entries, 
         when everyone knows the real fun is to be had cruising the 
         truly terrible examples that the genre has to offer, mentally 
         allocating points for "Most Depressing Recycling Of Daypop Top
         40 URLs", "Most Unsettling Revelations About Personal Life", 
         plus of course "Most Tedious Linking/Reciprocal Linking To Other 
         Bloggers In Absence Of Having Anything Interesting To Say". 
         http://www.guardian.co.uk/weblog/bestbritishblog/
                              - "A strange game, Professor Falken..."
       http://media.guardian.co.uk/newmedia/comment/0,7496,765161,00.html
                         - "...the only winning move is not to play."

                                >> TRACKING <<
               sufficiently advanced technology : the gathering

          The respective trademark holders will hate this, but
          Windows really *is* like the Sun. You have this big hulking
          mass of concentrated power in the middle, with a few small
          orbiting utilities - like WinZip, and PuTTY, and VNC.
          Occasionally one will get a bit too close to the OS, and
          Microsoft will suck it down and turn it into fuel for the
          System. One such discrete satellite remains FILEZILLA, the
          still-necessary ftp gui client for Windows. Those who know
          it won't need the introduction, although they might
          appreciate the note that it's getting close to v2.0 time.
          For dogged WS_FTP users, though, it's got multiple
          downloads, auto-restart of interrupted 'loads, queuing, and
          sftp and Kerberos support. It's also GPL'd which makes it a
          nice bit of source for anyone wanting to grok Win32
          networking from something that works.
          http://filezilla.sf.net/
  - talking of trademarks, will the Godzilla people strike before MS?

                                >> MEMEPOOL <<
                ceci n'est pas une http://www.gagpipe.com/

         (Not safe for work) next year's RED NOSE DAY looks more fun 
         than usual: http://www.threepillows.com/tour2.htm ... Mirrored 
         Disaster Recovery Suite - to go with mirrored bathroom etc?: 
       http://www.dovebid.com/Auctions/AuctionDetail.asp?AuctionID=1450
         ... and then the kid can take you to court for mental cruelty: 
         http://www.cnn.com/2002/TECH/ptech/08/27/turok.baby.reut/ ... 
         "funny" prefixes in front of "chalking" #n+1 - the actually 
         quite pragmatic: http://www.pinkbunny.co.uk/poochalking/ ... 
         no longer knowing - or caring - if these are prank AMAZON 
         reviews or not, for Potter's ever-popular "vibrating" broom: 
     http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/stores/detail/-/toys/B00005NEBW/
         ... ditto "Use This Software At Your Own Risk" disclaimer for: 
         http://www.palmgear.com/software/showsoftware.cfm?prodID=41030 
         ... DAFFY DUCK appears in dock - accused of "dethpicable" 
         behaviour?: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/2223065.stm , 
         http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_659889.html ...

                                >> GEEK MEDIA <<
                                  get out less

         TV>> celebrity cameo night tonight, with Brad Pitt in FRIENDS 
         (9pm, Fri, C4), Sydney Pollack in WILL AND GRACE (9.30pm, Fri, 
         C4), Dustin Hoffman in V GRAHAM NORTON (10.30pm, Fri, C4), and 
         a singing, dancing peanut in globalised trade documentary ALT-
         TV (7.30pm, Fri, C4)... the BBC have kept McEnroe and the 
         heart monitor, got rid of the live crocodiles in gimmicky 
         quizshow THE CHAIR (6.40pm, Sat, BBC1)... and a month of 
         "September 11th" specials kicks off with AVENGING TERROR (8pm, 
         Sat & Sun, C4) - yet those responsible for BOWFINGER (9pm, 
         Sat, C4) and NOTTING HILL (9pm, Sun, C4) still remain 
         unpunished... John "The Last Seduction" Dahl's ROUNDERS (11pm, 
         Sat, BBC2) turns out to be about high-stakes poker, rather 
         than the girls' version of baseball... in the wake of DAVE 
         GORMAN'S IMPORTANT ASTROLOGY EXPERIMENT (10.40pm, Sun, BBC2), 
         how about a three-way challenge where he, Tony Hawks and Pete 
         McCarthy battle to come up with the most lucrative pointless 
         pretext for a book and TV show?... but we still have a soft 
         spot for Ron "Alien: Resurrection" Perlman liberal self-
         flagellation THE LAST SUPPER (11.20pm, Sun, C4)... 9/11 CLEAR 
         THE SKIES (9pm, Sun, BBC2) is a presumably uneventful account 
         of "how US air defence systems responded to the events of 
         September 11th"... inexplicably, the three finalists in THE 
         TARTIEST MEN IN BRITAIN (10.30pm, Mon, ITV) all come from 
         Leeds... Larry Clark takes a somewhat indirect approach to 
         conveying his safe-sex message in New York filth-fest KIDS 
         (1.15am, Tue, C4)... and the September 11th build-up continues 
         with HOW THE TWIN TOWERS COLLAPSED (8pm, Mon, C4), LET'S ROLL: 
         THE STORY OF FLIGHT 93 (10.30pm, Wed, ITV), plus THE MEYSSAN 
         CONSPIRACY (11.05pm, Tue, C4) - ie the French guy behind: 
       http://www.asile.org/citoyens/numero13/pentagone/erreurs_en.htm
         ... away from the polluted nightmare of modern living, a 
         family seek out a new way of life in Earth Summit tie-in A 
         LAND WORTH LOVING (7pm, Wed, BBC1)... which coincidentally 
         also forms the plot of this week's second Heather "Bowfinger" 
         Graham turkey, LOST IN SPACE (7.55pm, Wed, BBC1) - not to be 
         confused with the return of those annoying posh women in 
         WORLD'S WORST DRESSED (8pm, Wed, BBC2), who have at least shut 
         up about their always-doomed hideously purple e-commerce 
         site: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/712188.stm ...
         
         FILM>> the comic skills of Cameron Diaz, Christina Applegate 
         and Parker Posey combine in a cross between a teen smut comedy 
         and an episode of "Sex And The City", THE SWEETEST THING 
         ( http://www.screenit.com/movies/2002/the_sweetest_thing.html :
         As [Diaz] and [Applegate] drive down the road still dressed in 
         just their bras and underwear, [Applegate] drops her bottle of 
         fingernail polish. [Diaz] then goes over to get it, with 
         her panty-covered butt in the air and her head down toward 
         [Applegate]'s legs and crotch; [Selma Blair] [has] her mouth 
         stuck around a man's privates after apparently performing oral 
         sex on him)... Robin Williams plays a surprisingly convincing 
         Hannibal Lecter in morally complicated Alaskan Al Pacino 
         murder madness INSOMNIA ( http://www.cndb.com/ : You can see 
         [Crystal Lowe's] tits in autopsy photos and again - along with 
         bush - when she's seen on a autopsy table. Nice boobs but 
         she's dead)... it's Eddie Murphy, Randy Quaid, Jay "Jerry 
         Maguire" Mohr, John Cleese and Pam Grier - together at last! - 
         in blaxploitation sci-fi spoof THE ADVENTURES OF PLUTO NASH 
  ( http://www.screenit.com/movies/2002/the_adventures_of_pluto_nash.html :
         the woman then causes the image of [Rosario "Kids" Dawson] to 
         suddenly have much larger breasts and an exaggeratedly large 
         rear end)... all of which, shockingly, are an improvement on 
         John Woo interspersing lame battle scenes with agonising anti-
         racist philosophising in WW2 Navajo crypto clunker WINDTALKERS 
         ( http://www.capalert.com/capreports/windtalkers.htm : 
         gambling; beheading; brief partial nudity of a Japanese 
         soldier; I have no doubt that such gore is present in war but 
         must it be regurgitated in and as entertainment?)... 

                               >> SMALL PRINT <<

       Need to Know is a useful and interesting UK digest of things that
         happened last week or might happen next week. You can read it
       on Friday afternoon or print it out then take it home if you have
     nothing better to do. It is compiled by NTK from stuff they get sent.
                       Registered at the Post Office as
                     "yeah, but bet we were banned first"
                    http://www.b3ta.com/newsletter/issue54/

                                 NEED TO KNOW
            THEY STOLE OUR REVOLUTION. NOW WE'RE STEALING IT BACK.
                         Archive - http://www.ntk.net/
              Unsubscribe? Mail [email-masked]
                Subscribe? Mail [email-masked]
 NTK now is supported by UNFORTU.NET, and by you: http://www.geekstyle.co.uk/

                          (K) 2002 Special Projects.
             Copying is fine, but include URL: http://www.ntk.net/

                    Tips, news and gossip to [email-masked]
             All communication is for publication, unless you beg.
              Press releases from naive PR people to [email-masked]
     Remember: Your work email may be monitored if sending sensitive material.
       Sending >500KB attachments is forbidden by the Geneva Convention.
              Your country may be at risk if you fail to comply.