Subject: to the courthouse
From: [email-masked] Sun Oct 6 22:54:34 2002
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 06 Oct 2002 08:00:08 -0000

URL: http://www.aaronsw.com/weblog/000637
Date: 2002-10-05T21:15:55-06:00

I guess it's time to reveal the incredibly kind invitation I received[1]. As 
many of you may have found out or guessed, I will be attending oral argument 
for the Eldred case[2] before the Supreme Court. 

I'm incredibly excited, as you might imagine. Visiting the Supreme Court would 
be quite enough, but seeing such an important case...Dayenu! When Lessig asked 
me if I was free that day to come, I laughed because I couldn't (and still 
can't) think of anything I'd rather do than attend. I am eternally grateful to 
Lessig for the chance to attend. On the other hand, I'm sort of embarassed to 
have the opportunity, when there are surely others who deserve it far more than 
me. Luckily, it seems that such deserving others will be able to get seats by 
camping in line with us. 

So, I'll be arriving in D.C. on Tuesday, attending an 
Eldred/Duke/EPIC/Bookmobile superparty, and then camping in line with Seth 
Schoen[3], Lisa Rein, Jace Cooke but unfortunately not Cory Doctorow. If you'd 
like to come with us, let me know. 

I was hoping I'd be able to take notes and post them to my weblog for those who 
couldn't make it, but as I read in today's Times, only lawyers and those with 
official press credentials are allowed to take notes![4] I think this is 
outrageous, but hopefully I will be able to remember enough to provide an 
interesting account. 

In a related irony, today was "Disney Day" at Borders[5], where they played 
Disney rock songs with the volume turned up too loud, disturbing my usual habit 
of reading a book there. However, I did manage to skim through _The Practice of 
Programming_. 

In an unrelated note, if you haven't been electrocuted by a Model T spark plug, 
I highly recommend it.

[1] http://www.aaronsw.com/weblog/000609
[2] http://eldred.cc/
[3] http://vitanuova.loyalty.org/2002-10-02.html
[4] http://www.nytimes.com/2002/10/05/opinion/05AMAR.html
[5] http://www.bordersstores.com/events/event_detail.jsp?SEID=15127444