Overview of Changes in GTK+ 2.0.0
* GtkTreeView fixes [Jonathan Blandford, Kristian Rietveld, Darin Adler]
* Build fixes [Anders Carlsson, Tor Lillqvist, Manish Singh]
* Bug fixes. [Thomas Leonard, Owen Taylor]
Overview of Changes in GTK+ 2.0.0 rc1
* GtkTreeView fixes [Kristian Rietveld, Jonathan Blandford, Richard Hult]
* Text widget fixes [Havoc Pennington]
* Efficiency fixes when using Xft [Owen Taylor]
* Key handling fixes and other fixes for Win32 [Hans Breuer, Tor Lillqvist]
* Try to fix key handling without XKEYBOARD extension [Owen]
* Documentation fixes and improvements
[Matthias Clasen, Alexey Malyshev, Akira Tagoh, Vitaly Tishkov]
* Widget drawing improvements [Soeren Sandmann]
* Allow cycling between multiple menu bars with <Control>Tab [Owen]
* Try to build libraries with only shared library dependencies on Xft to
deal with transition to Xft2 [Owen]
* Portability fixes [Owen, Miroslaw Dobrzanski-Neumann]
* Don't use red as the default cursor color [Owen]
* Bug fixes, bug fixes, bug fixes.
Other contributors: Darin Adler, Jacob Berkman, Kevin Breit, Hans Breuer,
Anders Carlsson, Damon Chaplin, Finlay Dobbie, Jody Goldberg,
Andreas J. Guelzow, Scott Guilbeaux, Vlad Harchev, James Henstridge,
Tim Janik, Satyajit Kanungo, Charles Kerr, Sergey Kuzminov, Miles Lane,
Alexander Larsson, Paolo Maggi, Skip Montaro, Jan Mynarik, Sven Neumann,
Padraig O'Briain, Narayani Pattipati, Mark Patton, Havoc Pennington,
Ettore Perazzoli, Guillermo S. Romero, Manish Singh, Morten Welinder
Overview of Changes in GTK+ 1.3.15
* New stock and improved icon images
[Tuomas Kuosmanen, Jakub Steiner, Anders Carlsson]
* Widget drawing improvements for check and radio buttons,
spinbuttons [Soeren Sandmann]
* Clean up module search path algorithm, use GTK_PATH [Owen Taylor]
* Add GtkSetting for font name. [Richard Hestilow]
* Much improved key matching code, accelerators work independent
of group [Owen]
* Make mnemonics work for embedded GtkPlug widgets [Owen]
* Keynav improvements for GtkTreeView [Kristian Rietveld]
* Fix gtk_tree_view_scroll_to_cell() [Jonathan Blandford]
* Rename gtk_tree_view_get_iter_root() and gtk_tree_path_new_root()
to gtk_tree_view_get_iter_first() and gtk_tree_path_new_first(),
add compatibility macros.
* GtkTreeView bug fixes [Kristian, Anders, Damon Chaplin]
* GtkTextView bug fixes [Havoc Pennington]
* Pad class structures for future binary compatibility [Owen]
* Tutorial improvements [Sven Neumann, Matthias Clasen]
* Fixes for MULTIPLE selection target [Gregory Merchan, Owen]
* Fix problems with initial widget size [Owen]
* AIX compilation fixes [Miroslaw Dobrzanski-Neumann]
* Win32 fixes [Hans Breuer, Tor Lillqvist]
* Miscellaneous bug fixes
Other contributors: David L. Cooper, Eric Fischer, Jody Goldberg,
Satajyit Kanungo, Thomas Leonard, Mark Patton, Manish Singh,
Overview of Changes in GTK+ 1.3.14
* Keyboard focus improvements [Owen Taylor]
* Code cleanup [Matthias Clasen, Manish Singh, Darin Adler]
* Fix accidentally exported variables [Mark McLoughlin]
* GtkTreeView fixes [Jonathan Blandford, Kristian Rietveld, John Harper, Darin]
* Default to yellow tooltips [Owen]
* RC file fixes for reloading, priorities [Owen, Matthias]
* GtkMenu behavior improvements and bug fixes [Owen, Arnaud Charlet]
* GtkTextView fixes [Havoc Pennington, Daniel Elstner, Dennis Bjorklund]
* Improve keynav for paned widgets, tooltips, spin buttons, notebooks,
scrolled windows [Soeren Sandmann, Padraig, Owen]
* Add Emacs/Default key themes [Owen]
* Win32 fixes [Hans Breuer, Tor Lillqvist]
* Ethiopic input methods [Daniel Yacob]
* Opaque paned window resizing [Soeren]
* Tweak table expansion behavior [Tim Janik]
* Fix GtkCalendar focus drawing [Bill Haneman]
* Allow themeable cursor thickness [Bill]
* Start of fixing of tutorial for GTK+-2.0 [Matthias]
* Add a ::adjust-bounds signal to GtkRange to allow spreadsheet style
scrollbars. [Jody Goldberg]
* Add the ability to turn on multiple selection for GtkFileSel [Manish]
* Bug fixes
Other contributors: Jacob Berkman, Padraig O'Briain, Anders Carlsson,
Johan Dahlin, Richard Hult, Stefan Kost, Alex Larsson, Thomas Leonard,
Paolo Maggi, Alexey Malyshev, Federico Mena Quintero, Skip Montaro,
Sven Neumann, Havoc Pennington, Laszlo Peter, Christian Rose, Joe Shaw,
Kevin Vandersloot, Morten Welinder, Peter Williams
Overview of Changes in GTK+ 1.3.13
* Tree view fixes. [Kristian Rietveld, Jonathan Blandford, Anders Carlsson]
* Tree view support for low-vision themes [Bill Haneman]
* Text view bug fixes. [Havoc Pennington]
* Win32 fixes and improvements. [Tor Lillqvist, Hans Breuer,
* Documentation improvements [Matthias Clasen, Havoc Pennington]
* Accelerate alpha compositing using RENDER extension if present,
and optimize the non-RENDER case a lot. [Owen Taylor]
* Add support for "optional keybindings" (action signal returns FALSE) [Owen]
* Fixed the infamous changing directory deletes filename bug
[Owen and a cast of thousands]
* Add mouse cursor hiding for text widgets [Anders Carlsson]
* Simple Hangul input module [Yusuke Tabata]
* Removed the scary startup warning.
* GdkPixbuf pixel handling fixes [Owen, Michael Hore, Jim Cape]
* Converted GtkFileSelection and GtkFontSelection to use GtKTreeView widgets
instead of the deprecated GtkCList [Owen]
* gtkhsv.h was installed by mistake, fixed that. [reported by Ross Burton]
* gdk_pixbuf_render_to_drawable() now also handles alpha pixbufs.
* Made Gtkimage draw GtkPixmap, GtkImage, GdkPixbuf insensitive, prelighted,
etc. [Havoc, Owen]
* Marked gtk_item_factory_path_from_widget() G_CONST_RETURN. [Matt Wilson]
* gtk_image_menu_item_new_from_stock() now falls back to
new_with_mnemonic, for consistency with gtk_button_new_from_stock()
* GdkModifierType is now consistently used for modifier mask parameters
* gtk_widget_set_accel_path() is now publically exported.
Other contributors: Darin Adler, Jeffrey Baker, Damon Chaplin, Brian Cameron,
Murray Cumming, James Henstridge, Jacob Berkman, Arnaud Charlet, Jeff Franks,
Jeff Garzik, Jody Goldberg, Diego Gonzalez, Melvin Hadasht, Raja Harinath,
Tim Janik, Mike Kestner, Mathieu Lacage, Alex Larsson, Ryan Lovett,
Mark McLoughlin, Sven Neumann, Padraig O'Briain, Xavier Ordoquy, Chris Phelps,
Detlef Reichl, Guillermo S. Romero, Federico Mena Quintero, Manish Singh,
HideToshi Tajima, Vitaly Tishkov, Jon Trowbridge, Sergey Vlasov.
Overview of Changes in GTK+ 1.3.12
* Fix problems with PNG saving [Michael Natterer]
* Cleanups of deprecated usages [Sebastian Wilhelmi]
* Win32 fixes [Tor Lillqvist]
* Documentation improvements [Matthias Clasen, Havoc Pennington,
* Frame buffer port fixes [Manish Singh]
* GtkTextView bug fixes [Havoc Pennington, Chris Phelps]
* Menu behavior improvements [Kristian Rietveld]
* Make focus line width configurable, focus color work on
dark themes. [Bill Haneman, Owen Taylor]
* Add state argument to gtk_paint_focus() [Bill]
* Added incremental revalidation to tree view, for better apparent speed
* Remove useless gtk_tree_view_column_cell_event() [Jonathan]
* Display XIM status in a separate window [HideToshi Tajima]
* Add GDK_DEBUG=nograbs to disable pointer, keyboard grabs [Jacob Berkman]
* Add menu of Unicode control characters to GtkEntry, GtkTextView
[Dov Grobgeld, Havoc]
* Pass key releases along to input methods [Owen]
* Many bug fixes
Other contributors: Darin Adler, Fabrice Bellet, Chris Blizzard,
Hans Breuer, Anders Carlsson, Damon Chaplin, Murray Cumming, Jeff Franks,
James Henstridge, Tim Janik, Alex Larsson, George Lebl, Kjartan, Maraas,
Sven Neumann, Seth Nickell, Padraig O'Briain, Soeren Sandmann, Manish Singh,
Overview of Changes in GTK+ 1.3.11
* Massive rework of accelerator API and implementation (Tim Janik)
* Major fixes to resizing and redrawing to eliminate hysteresis
and optimize. (Owen Taylor, Soeren Sandmann)
* Make many widgets NO_WINDOW to improve appearance and reduce
drawing overhead (Owen)
* Text view fixes (Havoc Pennington)
* Make child widgets in GtkTextView work (Havoc)
* GtkTreeModelSort fixage (Jonathan Blandford, Kristian Rietveld)
* Clean up GtkTreeView drag and drop support (Owen)
* Misc tree view fixes and improvements (Jonathan, Kristian, Anders, Matt Wilson)
* Add gtk_window_get/set_focus(), gtk_window_set_default() as public
functions (Owen, Damian Ivereigh)
* Fixes to GtkPlug/GtkSocket (Michael Meeks, Owen)
* Change button ordering in standard dialogs to correspond to
GNOME usability project proposal (Gregory Merchan)
* Add support for context sensitivity in input methods (Owen)
* Hook up gtk_im_context_set_use_preedit() (Hidetoshi Tajima)
* Fix gdk_window_scroll() and other aspects of big windows (Owen)
* Remove need for X connection for class initialization (Jacob Berkman)
* Propagate key events to parents of focused widget (Owen)
* Don't export normal GTK+ marshalers, export deprecated compat marshalers (Owen)
* Many Win32 Fixes and improvements (Hans Breuer, Tor Lillqvist)
* Bug and documentation fixing (Matthias Clasen, Anders Carlsson,
Jacob Berkman, others.)
Darin Adler, Marius Andreiana, Erwann Chenede, Murray Cumming, Janet Davis,
Daniel Egger, Daniel Elstner, Jeff Franks, Alex Larsson, George Lebl,
Sergey Kuzminov, Eric Lemings, Arkadiusz Miskiewicz, Padraig O'Briain, Sven Neumann,
Kristian Rietveld, Nicolas Setton, Manish Singh, Vitaly Tishkov, Sebastian Wilhelmi,
Overview of Changes in GTK+ 1.3.10
* GtkTextView fixes [Havoc Pennington]
* GtkTreeView fixes and improvements [Jonathan Blandford, Kristian,
Manish Singh, Joshua Pritikin, Oleg Maiboroda, James Henstridge]
* gtkdemo improvements [Kristian Rietveld]
* Drag and drop fixes to generic code and widgets
[Owen Taylor, Damian Ivereigh]
* Documentation improvement [Havoc Pennington, Matthias Clasen]
* Spelling fixes [Jacob Berkman]
* Move signals to the GtkEditable interface [Kristian]
* Further stock image improvements [Jakub Steiner]
* Support text chunks for the PGN loader, add gdk_pixbuf_get_option()
* Rename gdk_pixbuf_new_from_stream back to new_from_inline [Owen]
* Automatically call setlocale(), unless explicitly disabled [Owen]
* Property addition to various widgets [Michael Meeks, Owen]
* Support building with automake-1.4 [James]
* Make GtkRadioButton groups act as a single focus point [Owen]
* Move gdk_window_lookup etc. to be cross-platform [Matthias]
* Draw spinbuttons variably sized [Kristian]
* Separate GdkAtom out from X atoms for compatibility with future
multihead changes [Owen]
* Require gdk_threads_init() to be explicitly called instead
of piggybacking off of g_thread_init(). [Owen]
* Improvements to text-view/label/entry popup menus [Damian, Jacob, Owen]
* Bug fixes and cleanup [Matthias, others]
Mark McLoughin, Mikael Hermansson, Soeren Sandmann, Anders Carlsson,
Tim Janik, Murray Cumming, Hidetoshi Tajima, Padraig O'Briain,
Hans Breuer, Vitaly Tishkov, Dov Grobgeld
Overview of Changes in GTK+ 1.3.9
* Add editable text cells to GtkTreeView.
Keynav, drawing fixes in GtkTreeView [Jonathan Blandford]
* Text widget no longer always has a \n in it. [Havoc Pennington]
* Text widget bug fixes [Havoc, Dov Grobgeld, Hidetoshi Tajima]
* Allow -1 for width/height in gdk_pixbuf_render_*(). [Matthias Clasen]
* Minor fix for major resizing problems in recent releases [Owen Taylor]
* Restore ability to set _set properties to TRUE for
GtkCellRendererText, GtkTextTag [Owen]
* Cursor drawing improvements [Owen]
* Win32 fixes [Hans Breuer]
* Mark various functions as deprecated or private.
* Misc bug fixes, portability fixes, and cleanups.
Vitaly Tishkov, Christian Rose, Frank Belew, Jeff Franks, Sven Neumann,
Kristian Rietveld, Vitaly Tishkov, Joshua N. Pritikin, Matt Wilson,
James Henstridge, Detlef Reichl
Overview of Changes in GTK+ 1.3.8
* GtkTreeView and GtkTreeModel API cleanups/improvements [Jrb]
* GtkOptionMenu scrollwheel support [Alex]
* GtkModule search paths [Owen]
* Documenatation updates [Havoc,Jrb]
* Major Gdk cleanup [Owen]
* Miscellaneous other fixes/cleanups
Joshua N Pritikin, Padraig O'Briain, Jakub Steiner, Matthias Clasen,
Matt Wilson, James Henstridge
Overview of Changes in GTK+ 1.3.7
* Many Pixbuf (loader) improvements [Matthias Clasen, Soeren Sandmann]
* Added publically installed utility gdk-pixbuf-csource to generate
inlined pixbufs in C source code [Tim Janik]
* Optional movement of button children on press [Soeren, Owen Taylor]
* Interactive searching in GtkTreeView [Kristian Rietveld]
* Sorting/ordering improvements for GtkTreeView [Kris, Jonathan Blandford]
* Animation of expander motion for GtkTreeView [Anders Carlsson]
* Lots of misc GtkTreeView fixes and improvements [Jonathan]
* New/improved stock icons [Jakub Steiner]
* Code and API rework for window resizing [Havoc Pennington]
* Converted accel groups to GObject [James Henstridge]
* More property support improvements
* Add facility for "secondary" buttons in
GtkButtonBox/GtkDialog [Gregory Merchan]
* Disentangled child visability from MAPPED state [Owen]
* Plug/Socket improvements and port to the XEMBED protocol [Owen]
* Added priorities for styles in RC files,
support multiple parse contents [Owen]
* Made GdkVisual and GdkDevice GObjects [Alexander Larsson]
* Key binding improvements [Havoc]
* Added GtkWidget::event-after signal since normal event handling
is now aborted as soon as a handler returned TRUE [Tim]
* Dnd fixes and improved icon support [Owen]
* Removed GtkPacker widget
* Fixing missing paired getters/setters [Kris]
* Nuked remaining GtkArg cruft, implemented container/child properties [Tim]
* Added window grab groups [Owen]
* Many frame buffer improvements [Alex]
* Win32 fixes and improvements [Hans Breuer]
* Warning fixes [Darin Adler]
* Miscellaneous bug and API fixes [Matthias et. al]
Joshua N Pritikin, Hidetoshi Tajima, Manish Singh, ERDI Gergo, Jens Finke,
Chema Celorio, Lee Mallabone, Vitaly Tishkov, Sebastian Wilhelmi,
Nicola Girardi, Sven Neumann, Padraig O'Briain, Michael Natterer,
Suresh Chandrasekharan, Jonas Borgström, Jay Cox, Michael Meeks,
Mathias Hasselmann, Peter Williams, Thomas Broyer, Kjartan Maraas,
Joel Becker, Jeff Franks, Brian Cameron, Skip Montanaro
Overview of Changes in GTK+ 1.3.6
* Properly renders strikethrough text
* win32 fixes
* Added "scale" property to GtkTextTag and GtkCellRendererText to do
relative font scaling
* Added "format_value" signal to GtkScale to reformat value text
* framebuffer fixes
* Property support added to lots of widgets
* Many GtkTreeView new features and API/implementation fixes
* Lots of new_with_mnemonic() convenience functions
* Change GtkImageMenuItem API to be more consistent/useful
* Added lots of new stock items/icons
* Rewrote GtkRange/GtkScale/GtkScrollbar, includes support for
enabling/disabling extra scrollbar stepper arrows in gtkrc so NeXT
themes won't need broken hacks
* Convenience API for GtkRange similar to the one added to GtkSpinButton
a while back
* Make menubar/toolbar work properly with xthickness/ythickness of 1 or 0,
and move some attributes from program settings to user settings.
Allows nice 1-pixel-bevel themes.
* Moved ::focus virtual function from GtkContainer to GtkWidget
* Plenty of bug fixes
Overview of Changes in GTK+ 1.3.5
* New default theme based on Raleigh theme for 1.2.x.
* Dependency on the ATK library added as a step to
providing accessibility-enabling interfaces
* XEMBED-based GtkPlug/GtkSocket now basically works.
* Drag and drop of column headers in GtkTreeView
* GtkColorSelector work: hooks for saving and propagating palette, UI tweaks,
and API sanitation
* Key binding fixes
* Configurable padding/spacing in a lot of places
* Invisible text in GtkTextView fixed
* SHM segments now created with a mode of 0600
* Bug fixes
Overview of Changes in GTK+ 1.3.4
* Win32 fixes
* GtkTreeView improvements and fixes
* Fix glib-2.0.m4
* Miscellaneous bug fixes
Overview of Changes in GTK+ 1.3.3
[ 5600 lines of ChangeLog ]
* API cleanups
* Win32 work (Tor, Hans Breuer)
* Focus improvements (Owen)
* Frame buffer improvements (Alex)
* Work on GtkTextView (Havoc)
* Much work on GtkTreeView (Jonathan)
* Selectable labels (Havoc)
* Converted many arguments to properties (Lee Mallabone, John Margaglione)
* Add exact regions to GdkExposeEvent, propagate it. (Alex)
* Added ability to have resize grips in status bars (etc.) using
_NET_WM_MOVERESIZE protocol. (Havoc)
* Added mnemnonic mechanism to make setting underline accelerators
much easier. (Alex)
* Add per-style property mechanism to allow themes to change
geometry parameters. (Tim)
* Added global settings mechanisms for settings such as double-click
time. (Tim, Owen)
* Various support functions for new and old WM properties (Havoc, Alex)
* Add TRUE-stops-returns for boolean-returning signals (Ron Steinke)
Overview of Changes in GTK+ 1.3.2
* New stock-icon and stock-item system. Use themeable pixbufs in
dialogs, buttons, etc. [Havoc]
* Theme engines reworked to use derivation and new object system. [Owen]
* Added GtkClipboard object for simple selection handling. [Owen]
* Make GtkEditable an interface, move implementation to GtkOldEditable for
* Better handling of default directionality. [Robert]
* Use GSignal as backend for GtkSignal and other GObject stuff. [Tim]
* Move theme engines to GTypePlugin. [Owen]
* Beginning of implementation of client parts of new window manager spec. [Owen]
* Make gdk_drawable_get_image() work with backing store. [Havoc]
* New text widget [Havoc]
- Adjustable tab handling.
- Ability to have scrolling side areas in new text widget for tabs/line numbers.
- Many cleanups and small improvements.
* Improvements to submenu navigation [Nils Barth/David Santiago] and
scrolling menus. [Alex]
* Simplification of progress bar API. [Havoc]
* Make GtkImage a generic image-display widget. [Havoc]
* New GtkTreeView tree widget. Model/view architecture, flexible rendering,
large datasets, etc. [Jonathan]
* New GtkMessageBox widget for message display. [Havoc]
* Allow labels to have contents set from XML-like markup language. [Havoc]
* Make dialogs derive from GtkDialog and use stock buttons. [Havoc]
* Proper character set conversion for clipboard/selection. [Owen]
* New input method system via loadable modules; support on-the-spot
preedit in GtkEntry and new text widget; allow switching input methods
on the fly; include modules for XIM and demo Cyrillic-transliteration
* VIQR, Thai, and Inuktitut input methods. [Robert]
* Convert po files to UTF-8. [Robert]
* Full-alpha compositing for gdk-pixbuf on drawable. [Havoc]
* Add simple saving to gdk-pixbuf. [David Welton/Havoc]
* Add improved error handling with GError to gdk-pixbuf. [Havoc]
* Much work on Win32 Port. [Tor/Hans]
* Much work on Linux-FB Port. [Elliot/Alex]
* Start of new gtk-demo demo program. [Owen/Jonathan]
* Bug fixes and more bug fixes.
Overview of Changes in GTK+ 1.3.1:
* GTK+ now uses the Pango library for text manipulation. All
strings in GTK+ now are in Unicode, languages written
from right-to-left, and complex-text languages are now supported.
* The gdk-pixbuf library for image loading and manipulation is
has been integrated with GTK+.
* The GTK+ object system has mostly been moved to GLib, separating
it from the GUI code. Many significant enhancements have been
made as part of this.
* A new text widget is now included. This started as a port
of the Tk text widget, and includes such features of the Tk
text widget as tags, marks, and unicode text support. It
has been enhanced to support model-view operation and the
full power of Pango.
* The GDK library has been extensively revised to support multiple
windowing systems. The only fully functional backend in 1.3.1
is the X11 backend, however, ports to Win32, Linux-framebuffer,
Nano-X, BeOS, and MacOS exist in various states of completion,
and at least some of these will be finished and integrated in
before the final GTK+-2.0 release.
* 32-bit coordinates are now supported throughout GDK and GTK+
(they are emulated where not supported by the windowing system.)
* Many minor bug fixes and enhancements. Incompatible changes
are documented in docs/Changes-2.0.txt
Overview of Changes in GTK+ 1.2.8:
* GNU Make 3.79 bug workaround
* FAQ and tutorial updates and improvements
* Miscellaneous bug fixes: CList, Calendar, rc-files, FontSelection
Overview of Changes in GTK+ 1.2.7:
* More header cleanups.
* Fixed activation bug for insensitive widgets.
* Locale fixes to RC file parsing code.
* Miscellaneous bugfixes for Item Factory, CList, CTree, X Selections,
HScale, VScale, Pixmap, Viewport, OptionMenu, Entry and Notebook.
* Upgrade to libtool 1.3.4.
Overview of Changes in GTK+ 1.2.6:
* container queue_resize fixes
* gtk[vh]scale: minor fixups
* rename idle to idle_id in testgtk to avoid conflicts with
* More consistent naming of gtkrc files
* Added language support: ro, uk
Overview of Changes in GTK+ 1.2.5:
* more GtkCTree and GtkWindow bug fixes.
* more redraw/resize queue fixes, better expose event
* more miscellaneous bugs fixed
* new configure.in option --disable-rebuilds to completely disable
rebuilds of autogenerated sources.
* check for 5.002 now, to avoid failing autogeneration build rules due
to old perl versions.
* fonts (and fontsets) are cached now.
* more autogeneration make rules and dependency fixups, we should be
save with autogeneration up to make -j12 now ;)
* new window position GTK_WIN_POS_CENTER_ALWAYS, which will recenter the
GtkWindow on every size change.
* major rework of window manager hints handling code, fixed a bunch of
races with the new resizing code.
* the new wm hints and resizing code is absolutely perfect and bug free now,
it only lacks testing ;)
* fixed up various rc style memory problems.
* gtk_widget_modify_style() now properly changes the style of realized widgets
and references the style passed into it. if people worked around this bug,
this will introduce a slight memory leak in their code.
The code should typically look like:
GtkRcStyle *rc_style = gtk_rc_style_new ();
gtk_widget_modify_style (widget, rc_style);
* fix problems with positioning menus offscreen.
* GtkText fixes for some crashes and drawing errors.
* Better handling for unexpected window destroys in GDK and GTK+.
This should make it possible to use a GtkPlug and catch the
case where its parent socket is randomly killed.
* FAQ updates.
* FileSelection i18n patches, RadioButton fixups.
* many translation improvements.
* miscellaneous other bugs fixed.
Overview of Changes in GTK+ 1.2.4:
* DnD improvements (drags can be canceled with Esc now).
* suppressed configure event reordering in Gdk.
* rewrite of Gtk's configure event handling.
* major improvements for the object argument system (Elena Devdariani).
* major bugfixes for threading, GtkNotebook, GtkItemFactory, GtkCList and
* tutorial/FAQ updates, new file generation.txt on autogenerated sources.
* configure's --with-glib= is "officially" unsupported.
* upgrade to libtool 1.3.3.
* various buglets fixed.
Overview of Changes in GTK+ 1.2.3:
* Upgrade to libtool 1.3
* Check for dgettext (for systems with old versions of GNU Gettext)
* Many bug fixes (see ChangeLog for details)
Overview of Changes in GTK+ 1.2.2:
* Improved Dnd behaviour with Motif applications.
* Bug fixes for the Gtk selection code.
* Minor bug fixes to the Gdk Atom cache and Dnd code (with --display option).
* Bug fixes and leak plugs for the Gdk IM code.
* Added gtk_object_get() facility to retrieve object arguments easily.
The var args list expects ("arg-name", &value) pairs.
* Fixed mapping for GdkInputCondition<->GIOCondition, this should fix
problems where closed pipes were no longer signaling GDK_INPUT_READ on
systems with a native poll().
* Some cleanups to GtkLabel's memory allocation code (shouldn't leak memory
* We don't attempt to lookup xpm color "None" anymore, this should prevent
eXodus (commercial X windows server) from popping up a color dialog every
time a transparent pixmap is created.
* Fixed bug where Gtk timeout/idle handlers would execute without the global
Gdk lock being held.
* Other minor bug fixes.
Overview of Changes in GTK+ 1.2.1:
* Many Bug fixes have been applied to the menu and accelerator code.
* GtkItemFactory can "adopt" foreign menu items now and manage their
accelerator installation. This is often required to get GtkItemFactory
like accelerator propagation between different windows with the same
menu hierarchy and for centralized parsing and saving of accelerators.
* GtkCList/GtkCTree buttons should always display correctly now.
* Miscellaneous other bug fixes.
What's New in GTK+ 1.2.0 (since 1.0.x):
* New widgets: GtkFontSelector, GtkPacker, GtkItemFactory, GtkCTree,
GtkInvisible, GtkCalendar, GtkLayout, GtkPlug, GtkSocket
* Many new features and robustness for existing widgets
* Theme support
* New DND implementation
* Internationalization of standard dialogs
* New key binding system
* Tearoff menus and menu accelerators
* Wide character support for entry and text
* Resizing code has been overhauled
* Queued redraws of partial areas
* Far better support for object arguments
* Speed optimizations
* Runtime loading of dynamic modules
* Support for GLib log domains
* Tutorial improvements
* A bug fix or two
Overview of Changes in GTK+ 1.1.16:
* Major fixes and improvements for handlebox
* A change to the way widget->requisition works. Now,
widget->requisition is always what the widget requested,
unmodified by the usize. See Changes-1.2.txt for details.
This correct various bugs with gtk_widget_set_usize().
* Fixes for XIM on X11R5 systems
* Don't allow cut-and-paste of text in password-style entries
* --enable-debug is now on by default for the development release.
(When compiling for "production", use --enable-debug=minimum)
* Handle systems where Helvetica is not present more gracefully
* Fixes for memory leaks
* CList and CTree fixes
* Bug fixes for drawing problems.
* Miscellaneous bug fixes to GtkLabel, GtkCList, GtkCTree,
GtkColorsel, Focusing, DND
* Tutorial improvements
Overview of Changes in GTK+ 1.1.15:
* Tutorial Updates
* Added --libs gthread to gtk-config
* Bug fixes
What is new in GTK+ 1.1.14:
* Additions to docs/Changes-1.2.txt
* Just warn when loading theme engine fails
* CLAMP GtkScale digits to a meaningful range
* GTK_LOCALDIR is now defined in a better fashion
* New functions (feature freeze, we know...):
* Some locale fixups in gtkrc code
* Fixes to make gtk_radio_button_set_group() keep only
one radio button in the group active
* Foreign windows are now always treated as viewable; this fixes
a problem where updating didn't occur properly in GtkPlug
* DND fixes for 64 bit architectures, and for specifying operations
with modifier keys.
* Major revisions to GtkLayout: avoid having to create window
for NO_WINDOW children, adjust allocations of children as
scrolled so queued draws work, and a resize is queued instead
of allocating directly in a put() or move()
What is new in GTK+ 1.1.13:
* Dnd and selection bug fixes and memory purification.
* Widget sensitivity fixups.
* Tooltips windows are now named "gtk-tooltips" so rc file rules
can match tooltips windows. Fixed interaction of tooltips and NO_WINDOW
* Spin buttons now update their values upon value retrieval.
* Overhaul of the resizing vs. redrawing logic to reduce redrawing needs
a lot. Gtk makes full use of the draw_area coalescing code now, which
got minorly improved as well.
* Containers map their Gdk windows after their children now to reduce
expose event generation.
* Gdk event queue fixups, this solves the double-click problems people were
* Account for the fact that GSource's are only properly reentrant from
within dispatch(), thus we don't do Gdk event processing from within
check() or prepare() anymore.
* Rc files feature a bg_pixmap value of "<none>" now.
* Improved session management support in Gdk.
* Automatic disabling of NLS if no gettext is found should work now.
* Removed deprecated functions, docs/Changes-1.2.txt gives an overview.
* Gtk+ development now requires GNU autoconf 2.13, GNU automake 1.4
and GNU libtool 1.2d.
* More bug fixes all over the place.
What is new in GTK+ 1.1.12:
* Korean translation added
* Fixed memory leaks
* A few other bug fixes
What is new in GTK+ 1.1.11:
* Dutch, Japanese, Swedish, Polish, and Norwegian translations
* Removed deprecated _interp variants: gtk_container_foreach_interp,
gtk_idle_add_interp, gtk_timeout_add_interp, gtk_signal_connect_interp
* Lots of cast corrections
* Many fixes
What is new in GTK+ 1.1.9:
* Check for broken glibc 2.0 mb functions and avoid them
* Label and Entry display fixes
* Move main thread back to GDK, for locking when translating events
* Bug fixes
What is new in GTK+ 1.1.8:
* Added support for gettext and the localization of the standard
* Added line-wrapping for the label, and JUSTIFY_FILL
* Support reordering via drag and drop in CList and CTree.
* Replaced GtkDrawWindow widget with a GTK_USER_DRAW flag
* Extended gtkpaned API to support minimum sizes and proportional
* Changed the handling of shared memory segments so as to
remove the need for GTK+ to set up signal handlers.
* Re-implemented event loop in terms of the event loop
that has been added to GLib 1.1.8
* Added 'grab_focus' signal to allow keyboard accelerators
* Load locale specific RC files if present.
* Bug fixes.
What is new in GTK+ 1.1.7:
* Fixed memory mis-allocation in default files code
* Various event handling fixes
* Wide character support for entry and text
* Destroy widgets _after_ propagating unrealize signals through
* Only build XIM-support if available
* Tutorial and examples updates
* Added gtk_drag_source_unset()
What is new in GTK+ 1.1.6:
* The signal system now features emission hooks with special semantics,
refer to the ChangeLog for this.
* Minor? speedups and memory reductions to the emission handling of the
* _interp() function variants are deprecated now. the corresponding *_full()
variants are provided for a long time now.
* Dnd abort timeout increased to 10 minutes.
* GtkScrolledWindow inherits from GtkBin now.
* GTK_POLICY_NEVER is implemented for scrolled windows now.
* Lots of API clean ups.
* Incremental freezing abilities.
* Integrated widgets from the GNOME tree: GtkLayout, GtkPlug and GtkSocket.
* New window functions for transient relationship, default size, and
* Default rc files are now read in (<sysconfdir/etc/gtkrc and ~/.gtkrc)
GTK_RC_FILES environment variable and functions are provided to configure
* Read doc/Changes-1.2.txt to properly adapt your code.
* Bug Fixes.
What is new in GTK+ 1.1.5:
* Theme integration
* Widget style modification is now handled through GtkRcStyles
* GtkPixmaps now grey out pixmaps when insensitive
* Notebook enhancements
* Shadow configurability for menubars and handleboxes
* DND enhancements
* gtkfilesel now supports automounters better
* Implementation of expose compression
* Queued redraws of partial areas
* Scrolledwindow (+Viewport) source incompatibilities, children that are added
to a scrolled window don't get an automatic viewport anymore. a convenience
function gtk_scrolled_window_add_with_viewport() is supplied for this task
* Deprecated functions will now issue a message, informing the programmer about
the use of this function. These functions will get removed in future versions
* Non-functional functions got removed entirely
* gtk_widget_new() and gtk_object_new() will now auto-construct new objects.
A new function gtk_object_default_construct() is provided now which should
be called after every gtk_type_new() to perform the auto-construction
* Improved argument support of several widgets
* Bug Fixes
What is new in GTK+ 1.1.3:
* GtkCList/GtkCTree now have the ability to:
- hide/show individual columns
- disable/enable column resizing
- set min and max for column widths
- set expander style of the ctree
- set/get row and cell styles
- set spacing between tree expander and cell contents in ctree
- toggle auto_resize for columns
* Must enhanced DND support, removed old DND code
* Idle functions are now implemented via GHook, giving a slight speed
* An environment variable GTK_MODULES which takes a colon separated
list of module names GTK+ will now automatically load at gtk_init() startup
* GtkFontSel now has support for an extra 'base' filter
* New function gdk_window_set_root_origin to get the real geometry taking
into account window manager offsets
* New function gtk_text_set_line_wrap to toggle line wrapping
* New function gtk_widget_add_events which safely adds additional
events to a widget's event mask
* New function gdk_event_get_time to get the timestamp from a generic
* New widget GtkCalendar
* New widget GtkInvisible - InputOnly offscreen windows used for reliable
pointer grabs and selection handling in DND code
* New functions gtk_object_remove_no_notify[_by_id] to remove a certain
data portion without invocation of its destroy notifier
* gtk_spin_button_construct is now deprecated, use gtk_spin_button_configure
* gtk_clist_set_border is now deprecated, use gtk_clist_set_shadow_type
* Removed functions gtk_object_set_data_destroy[_by_id]
* Documentation additions/updates
* HTML and plain text files are now included in the distribution
* Bug fixes, typeness corrections, and general fixups
What is new in GTK+ 1.1.2:
* Gtk+ is now featuring runtime loading of dynamic modules via the
--gtk-modules= command line switch. such modules have to export a
G_MODULE_EXPORT void gtk_module_init (gint *argc, gchar ***argv);
function which will be invoked to initialize the module. since such
modules may create new widget types, they are always resident.
* The tutorial has been updated again.
* Changes to menus including tearoff menus and accelerators.
* Better support for modal dialogs.
* Removed CAN_FOCUS by default from scrollbars and button children of toolbar.
* More improvements and fixes for GtkCList and GtkCTree (i.e. row sorting).
* GtkCTree rows can be unselectable now.
* The GtkCTree API has undergone major renames (see ChangeLog entry from Lars
Hamann on Tue Aug 18 00:29:13 1998).
* A bunch of varargs functions changed to get va_lists working on systems that
implement va_lists as arrays.
* Improvements to the gdkrgb code.
* Improvements to Gdk color handling so we greatly reduce server traffic and
don't leak colors anymore.
* Improved internal widget tree iterators (the GtkContainer::foreach signal
vanished because of this).
* Option menus can have the keyboard focus now.
* More fixups to the text widget.
* GtkFileSelection should behave much more nicely in combination with AFS now.
* Support for label underlining.
* Support for GLib 1.1.3 log domains.
* Documentation improvements.
* Configuration fixes on various platforms.
* Miscellaneous fixes to XInput support.
* Build with shared library dependencies on Linux
* Fix for a major bug in the type systems memory allocation code that could
cause random crashes.
* Libtool update to version 1.2b.
* Lots of bugfixes and cleanups again ;)
What is new in GTK+ 1.1.1:
* Tutorial updates and additions.
* Key binding support for GtkListItems and GtkList.
* Extended selection mode and autoscrolling for GtkLists.
* A GtkCtree now operates on GtkCTreeNode* structures rather than GList*.
* GtkCTreeNodes can now be created from GNode trees.
* Bug fixes for GtkNotebook, GtkCList, GtkCombo and GdkWindow reparentation.
What is new in GTK+ 1.1.0:
* New widget GtkFontSelector.
* New featureful progress bar.
* New container widget GtkPacker.
* New object GtkItemFactory, GtkMenuFactory is deprecated.
* New key binding system, configurable via rcfiles, similar to styles.
* New widget GtkCTree with drag selections and keyboard movement and
and horizontal scrolling. Features also implemented for GtkCList.
* Significant speedups to widget creation and destruction through caching
colormap and visual queries to the XServer.
* Speedups for type creation and especially gtk_type_is_a() checks.
* Speedups in signal lookup, creation and emissions and connection handling.
* Minor speedups with object data allocation and destruction.
* Additions to the signal handling API (e.g. *_emitv).
* Support for rc-file reparsing.
* Resizing logic is now implemented on container widget basis, rather than
for toplevel GtkWindows only.
* Buttons support relief styles now.
* Some widgets are now allocated through memchunks to behave more memory wise.
* Newly included file gtkfeatures.h which defines compatibility macros to
test for certain API features upon program compilation.
* Child arguments support for container widgets.
* Far better support for object arguments, revamp of the underlying
mechanism for speed and reusability. Child/object arguments don't
need to be preceded by the "GtkType::" portion anymore.
* Removed GtkAcceleratorTable in favour of GtkAccelGroup, accelerator display
is now performed by a new widget GtkAccelLabel.
* Overhaul of the resizing code. Resizing behaviour can now be specified
on GtkContainer basis, so the underlying algorithm isn't only available
* GtkTables are now fully resizable.
* The GtkType system now supports an additional base class initialization
* GtkStyles and key bindings can now be looked up depending on the base
types of a widget, through a new keyword `class' in rc files.
* GtkButton derives from GtkBin (finally).
* More descriptive error messages on rc parsing.
* Runtime information is available to query enum/flag definition values.
* Upgrade to libtool-1.2
* Legions of bug fixes, memory leaks, segfaults, of-by-something errors...
including those that already went into the 1.0.x branch.
* A big bunch of features and cosmetic fixups that just got lost in
the masses of changesonfigure problem when cross-compiling