We are pleased to announce the release of Guile 1.8.0. It can be
Its SHA1 checksum is
We already know about some issues with 1.8.0, please check the mailing
The NEWS file is quite long. Here are the most interesting entries:
Changes since 1.6:
* Guile is now licensed with the GNU Lesser General Public License.
* The manual is now licensed with the GNU Free Documentation License.
* We now use GNU MP for bignums.
* We now have exact rationals, such as 1/3.
* We now use native POSIX threads for real concurrent threads.
* There is a new way to initalize Guile that allows one to use Guile
from threads that have not been created by Guile.
* Mutexes and condition variables are now always fair. A recursive
mutex must be requested explicitly.
* The low-level thread API has been removed.
* There is now support for copy-on-write substrings and
* A new family of functions for converting between C values and
Scheme values has been added that is future-proof and thread-safe.
* The INUM macros like SCM_MAKINUM have been deprecated.
* The macros SCM_STRINGP, SCM_STRING_CHARS, SCM_STRING_LENGTH,
SCM_SYMBOL_CHARS, and SCM_SYMBOL_LENGTH have been deprecated.
* There is a new way to deal with non-local exits and re-entries in
C code, which is nicer than scm_internal_dynamic_wind.
* There are new malloc-like functions that work better than
* There is a new way to access all kinds of vectors and arrays from
C that is efficient and thread-safe.
* The concept of dynamic roots has been factored into continuation
barriers and dynamic states.
See NEWS and the manual for more details.