Major changes in release 3.0.2:
* Better observance of Autoconf environment variable conventions (you
can set CPPFLAGS, CFLAGS, LDFLAGS, and LIBS). CDEBUGFLAGS is gone;
CFLAGS specifies debugging and optimization flags only.
* Bugs fixed: "make clean" missed config.h, hesiod_to_bind() would
core dump on names with right hand sides, hesiod_to_bind() didn't
length-check its arguments.
Major changes in release 3.0.1:
* hes_init() function added to backward compatibility interfaces.
* You can use "#ifdef HESIOD_INTERFACES" in an application to test if
the new interfaces are available.
Major changes in release 3.0.0:
* This NEWS file added.
* Wire protocol change: Hesiod data on the name servers should now be
in class C_IN, not C_HS. Data in class C_HS will still work for
now, but this backward compatibility hack may not stick around
forever. (You can specify which classes to look at in your
* Interface change: the preferred interfaces are now named
hesiod_*() and take a context argument. They also return allocated
memory which must be freed by the caller. The *_r() interfaces are
gone, and the hes_*() interfaces are deprecated.
* Hesiod no longer looks for /etc/hesiod.conf (unless sysconfdir is
/etc). It does, however, allow the environment variable
HESIOD_CONFIG to specify where the configuration file lives.
* hesiod.conf is no longer case-sensitive.
* Hesiod compiles on systems which don't define C_HS or T_TXT.
* Bugs fixed: "hesinfo -b" works, better length-checking on response
packets, string termination error in configuration file reading,
README left out periods in sample rhs and lhs values, "make check"
didn't set fixed hesiod configuration, manual pages weren't
Major changes in release 2.0.0:
* The hesiod.3 man page now documents all exported functions.
* Reentrant interfaces were added to the API. See the man page for
* hes_strerror() was added to the API.
* Function prototypes were added to <hesiod.h>. Hesiod now assumes a
compiler which can handle most ANSI constructs.
* Bugs fixed: memory leaks in hes_getpwnam(), hes_getmailhost,
hes_getservbyname(); bounds checking added in res_scan().
* Hesiod builds with Autoconf instead of imake now.
* An automated test driver is included.
* The maximum Hesiod response length is no longer coupled to the DNS
datagram transport size limit.