Changes in 2.93:
* Added a routine to provide Flash support, provided by Dmitry Dorofeev
Changes in 2.92:
* Added a patch from Dan Klein to make certain that imgsize() closes any
file descriptors it opens.
* Some housecleaning added to Makefile.PL.
Changes in 2.91:
* Added copyright notices (freely distributable under Perl's Artistic License)
to Size.pm and imgsize, at the request of Debian folks.
* No longer any need for imgsize.PL as a self-extractor; MakeMaker now handles
that fine (has for a while).
Changes in 2.904:
* Added a PREREQ_PM clause in Makefile.PL for systems that do not (yet) have
* Experimental (untested, no test cases) PSD support.
Changes in 2.903:
* Added a patch from <firstname.lastname@example.org>, reported as part of the CPAN
Testors effort. This abstracts some UNIX-centric treatment of file paths,
thus enabling the package to work on Macs.
Changes in 2.902:
* Added a file, README.Win32, with special instructions for users on systems
that lack MakeMaker support.
* Worked on the regular expressions that are used on the text-based formats,
in hopes of further smoothing out the rift between UNIX and non-UNIX
* Added use of Cwd. Filenames passed in are prepended with the current dir
if they aren't already absolute pathnames. This was to fix a subtle problem
where different files with the same relative names (referenced from different
directories) would confuse the cache.
* Added the image type to the cached data. Previously, only dimensions were
cached. Now, a cache-hit returns the same triple returned originally.
* Also added the file's modification-time to the cache, as the (growing!) use
of Image::Size in Apache mod_perl environments found that if an image is
changed, the cache won't notice. Now it does.
* Added recognition of thumbnail-format pics from the popular viewer XV. The
value of image type for these is the string "XV".
* Integrated a patch that makes html_imgsize generate tags that are XHTML-
compliant. Same patch also caught a few doc bugs that I'd missed.
* Added more to the README file and the pod documentation, particularly
dealing with the Apache web server.
* Moved the change history to this new file, from the prior location at the
end of README.
Changes in 2.901:
* Use of the Devel::Modlist package showed that my usage of IO::File pulled
in a lot of overhead (which I knew, but this meant I couldn't ignore it
any longer). Pulled out all IO::File stuff, use the Symbol package instead
for anonymous GLOBs. Also, the calling form that allows an open filehandle
be passed in is no longer so picky that it be blessed into IO::File. It
does have to be a hard reference, though. Symbolic refs still look like
* While doing the above, I eliminated the last of the strict-refs conflicts.
Prior to now, the package ran under strict subs and vars, but not refs. It
is now fully strict-clean.
Changes in 2.9:
* Support for BMP format in 2.8 was marred by a byte-ordering problem not
found in testing since my Linux and Windows machines are both Intel-based.
* Added a contributed fix for a recurring problem with GIF87a images that
have descriptors similar to GIF89a.
* Added a contributed fix to the PPM matching (prior to actual selection for
sizing) that was caused by some Win32 versions of Perl not handling "\n"
* While at that last one, I made an attempt to fix any MacOS concerns that
may be triggered by the same consideration.
* Added better error handling to the imgsize script and added a little more
to the manual page.
Changes in 2.8:
* Added support for BMP-format files. CR/LF translation between UNIX and
Windows machines should not affect this, but please let me know if there
Changes in 2.7:
* Corrected numerous documentation bugs in which I repeatedly referred to the
X and Y dimensions in the wrong order. This was pointed out by several
people, but I also kept forgetting to attend to it.
* The base routine imgsize now returns a null list when called in a void
or scalar context. Mainly, I like pre-loading the cache under mod_perl in
Apache (so that spawned children inherit the cache) and didn't like the
idea of all those calls populating a stack that was then ignored.
Changes in 2.6:
* 2.5 did not actually deliver the tests for the new TIFF code. Oops.
* Found some variations of the formats of XPM and XBM that were not
compatible with the regex's being used. Tricky, flexible little devils,
Changes in 2.5:
* Added support for TIFF images and two test cases. Many thanks to Cloyce
Spradling <email@example.com> for both the code patches and the test
Changes in 2.4:
* Small bug in jpegsize, not returning the string 'JPG' as the third element
of the returned list. Figures I have a half-documented feature, and someone
actually uses it. :-)
Changes in 2.3:
* Small fix to the regular expression in xpmsize.
* Changed syntax of utilizing AutoLoader to conform to changes in upcoming
Changes in 2.2:
* Added calls to binmode on filehandles, for the sake of OS flavors such as
* Cleaned up a new -w warning present in late versions of 5.003 (leading in
Changes in 2.1:
* Added in changes to the error handling that were meant for 2.0.
* Fixed a bug in attr_imgsize caused by the new return format.
Changes in 2.0:
* No longer uses filenames to determine image format for examination.
* Can operate on already-open IO::File objects.
* Can operate on in-memory data strings (buffers).
* Documentation overhauled.
* imgsize() now returns an ignorable third parameter. This value is a three-
letter identifier of the image format (using the standard suffixes. Useful
when sizing unknown data to also type the image.
* Support for the PPM family (PPM, PGM and PBM) of formats.
* JPG code extensively re-written and simplified.
* PNG code re-written.
* Test cases for PNG and PPM added. Test cases also cover the open-file and
* Dropped the "optional second argument" thing in the invocation; no one used
it, and it was confusing and difficult to explain clearly.
* Various typos cleaned up.
Changes in 1.2:
Two fixes given to me by Bernd Leibing <firstname.lastname@example.org>:
* Fixed bug caused by perl quoting and RCS in Size.pm
* imgsize now comes as imgsize.PL and is auto-extracted as part of the make,
utilizing your system's configuration to create the start-up #! line.
Changes in 1.1:
* Added a small, simple script called "imgsize" that gives command-line access
to the library functionality.
* Discovered and fixed bug in sizing JPEGs.
Initial version 1.0:
* Library model for sizing code from wwwimagesize. By this, I also include
the extension-style infrastructure, MakeMaker usage, test suite, etc.
* Changed format of returned data to generic (X, Y), added wrappers to format
into "WIDTH=x HEIGHT=y" HTML-style and (-WIDTH => x, -HEIGHT => y) CGI-style.
* Added cacheing of sizes based on passed-in file name. I have one CGI script
that uses a given icon for a bullet list, with 35+ items in the list...
* UNDOCUMENTED UNTIL BETTER TESTED: Optional second argument to imgsize can
be either scalar or a code ref; if scalar, is pasted in front of file name
as a directory component; if it is a code ref, the routine is called with
the file name as a single argument and is expected to return the full path
name. Kind of clunky right now, easier to just pass in the full path to
* Added the XPM sizing myself, though I have yet to use it (I do test it in
the test suite, though).