File: NOTES

package info (click to toggle)
kdrill 6.5deb2-12
  • links: PTS, VCS
  • area: main
  • in suites: buster, sid
  • size: 1,340 kB
  • sloc: ansic: 7,636; makefile: 47
file content (53 lines) | stat: -rw-r--r-- 2,139 bytes parent folder | download | duplicates (9)
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
46
47
48
49
50
51
52
53
This is just a notes file to MYSELF, about the code.

I'm wishing I stuck with "usefile" stuff in the translations[] array again


NAMING:
  I attempt to have globally visible functions with CapitalLetters,
  while internal-to-a-file functions have lowercaseletters.

General tip to code understanding: Its all about the 
  TRANSLATION translations[]
array.
This holds BOTH kanjidic and edict "translations".
It USED to be that kanjidic stuff was indexed by SJIS number. but that
no longer seems to be the case. You have to do linear search now.
Even for 70000 entries, that isn't so bad, for integer searches.
It might get a little slow when you're doing string matching.
But if its okay on my 70mhz sparc, it should be fine on your 300mhz
128meg pentium :-)

Not all fields get used for all translations. In other words, there's
a lot of fields in the translations struct that does not get filled
out for an edict entry.
  
For other interesting globals, be sure to check out "externs.h"


------------------------------------------------------------

Well, now for a bit of a message to folks out there.... 

   Coding this was.. "fun".  Fairly educational. I started this program
some time in 1991 (presumably, summer), because there was nothing
out there like it. I made some stupid design errors, and didn't have a
clue what Xrm stuff was for. 
Then there was a long hiatus, while I went through a few more quarters of
school :-)

After finding some nice code ("tetris"), the "junk" I found in "xterm"
started to make more sense.  That, coupled with perusing certain other
programs, both bad and good, made me more aware of how a "good" X program
should be written.

Now, I'm in an actual Job! So I'm even more picky about code. As a
reflection of this, some parts of the code are really robust... while others
are not. Sorry 'bout that :-)

And wow. After almost TEN YEARS since I first wrote this... I'm still
learning!  Specifically, today April 1999, I finally learned how to use
Xt resource files better, and set cursors for Xaw widgets. Always gotta be
open to improvement!

[Like trying to find why there are still bugs :-> ]