# GD Graphics (Draw) Library
GD is an open source code library for the dynamic creation of images by
GD is written in C, and "wrappers" are available for Perl, PHP and other
languages. GD can read and write many different image formats. GD is commonly
used to generate charts, graphics, thumbnails, and most anything else, on the
The most common applications of GD involve website development, although it
can be used with any standalone application!
The library was originally developed by Thomas Boutell and is now maintained
by many contributors (see the [CONTRIBUTORS](CONTRIBUTORS) file) under the
umbrella of PHP.net.
If you like to contribute, report bugs, see [how to contribute document](CONTRIBUTING.md)
For security related issues, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please visit our [homepage](http://www.libgd.org/) for more details.
## Supported Image Formats
GD has builtin support for:
It also has optional support for more formats via external libraries:
* [JPEG](https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JPEG) via [IJG/libjpeg](http://www.ijg.org/) or [libjpeg-turbo](http://libjpeg-turbo.virtualgl.org/)
* Does not include [JPEG 2000](https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JPEG_2000)
* [PNG](https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portable_Network_Graphics) via [libpng](http://www.libpng.org/)
* [TIFF](https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tagged_Image_File_Format) via [libtiff](http://www.libtiff.org/)
* [WebP](https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WebP) via [libwebp](https://developers.google.com/speed/webp/)
* [XPM](https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X_PixMap) via [libXpm](http://xorg.freedesktop.org/)