libtheora 1.1.1 (2009 October 1)
- Fix problems with MSVC inline assembly
- Add the missing encoder_disabled.c to the distribution
- build updates: autogen.sh should work better after switching systems
and the MSVC project now defaults to the dynamic runtime library
- Namespace some variables to avoid conflicts on wince.
libtheora 1.1.0 (2009 September 24)
- Fix various small issues with the example and telemetry code
- Fix handing a zero-byte packet as the first frame
- Documentation cleanup
- Two minor build fixes
libtheora 1.1beta3 (2009 August 22)
- Rate control fixes to smooth quality
- MSVC build now exports all of the 1.0 api
- Assorted small bug fixes
libtheora 1.1beta2 (2009 August 12)
- Fix a rate control problem with difficult input
- Build fixes for OpenBSD and Apple Xcode
- Examples now all use the 1.0 api
- TH_ENCCTL_SET_SPLEVEL works again
- Various bug fixes and source tree rearrangement
libtheora 1.1beta1 (2009 August 5)
- Support for two-pass encoding
- Performance optimization of both encoder and decoder
- Encoder supports dynamic adjustment of quality and
- Encoder is generally more configurable, and all
rate control modes perform better
- Encoder now accepts 4:2:2 and 4:4:4 chroma sampling
- Decoder telemetry output shows quantization choice
and a breakdown of bitrate usage in the frame
- MSVC assembly optimizations up to date and functional
libtheora 1.1alpha2 (2009 May 26)
- Reduce lambda for small quantizers.
- New encoder fDCT does better on smooth gradients
- Use SATD for mode decisions (1-2% bitrate reduction)
- Assembly rewrite for new features and general speed up
- Share code between the encoder and decoder for performance
- Fix 4:2:2 decoding and telemetry
- MSVC project files updated, but assembly is disabled.
- New configure option --disable-spec to work around toolchain
- Limit symbol exports on MacOS X.
- Port remaining unit tests from the 1.0 release.
libtheora 1.1alpha1 (2009 March 27)
- Encoder rewrite with much improved vbr quality/bitrate and
better tracking of the target rate in cbr mode.
- MSVC project files do not work in this release.
libtheora 1.0 (2008 November 3)
- Merge x86 assembly for forward DCT from Thusnelda branch.
- Update 32 bit MMX with loop filter fix.
- Check for an uninitialized state before dereferencing in propagating
- Remove all TH_DEBUG statements.
- Rename the bitpacker source files copied from libogg to avoid
confusing simple build systems using both libraries.
- Declare bitfield entries to be explicitly signed for Solaris cc.
- Set quantization parameters to default values when an empty buffer is
passed with TH_ENCCTL_SET_QUANT_PARAMS.
- Split encoder and decoder tests depending on configure settings.
- Return lstylex.sty to the distribution.
- Disable inline assembly on gcc versions prior to 3.1.
- Remove extern references for OC_*_QUANT_MIN.
- Make various data tables static const so they can be read-only.
- Remove ENCCTL codes from the old encoder API.
- Implement TH_ENCCTL_SET_KEYFRAME_FREQUENCY_FORCE ctl.
- Fix segfault when exactly one of the width or height is not a multiple
of 16, but the other is.
- Compute the correct vertical offset for chroma.
- cpuid assembly fix for MSVC.
- Add VS2008 project files.
- Build updates for 64-bit platforms, Mingw32, VS and XCode.
- Do not clobber the cropping rectangle.
- Declare ourselves 1.0final to pkg-config to sort after beta releases.
- Fix the scons build to include asm in libtheoradec/enc.
libtheora 1.0beta3 (2008 April 16)
- Build new libtheoradec and libtheoraenc libraries
supporting the new API from theora-exp. This API should
not be considered stable yet.
- Change granule_frame() to return an index as documented.
This is a change of behaviour from 1.0beta1.
- Document that granule_time() returns the end of the
- Use a custom copy of the libogg bitpacker in the decoder
to avoid function call overhead.
- MMX code improved and ported to MSVC.
- Fix a problem with the MMX code on SELinux.
- Fix a problem with decoder quantizer initialization.
- Fix a page queue problem with png2theora.
- Improved robustness.
- Updated VS2005 project files.
- Dropped build support for Microsoft VS2003.
- Dropped build support for the unreleased libogg2.
- Added the specification to the autotools build.
- Specification corrections.
libtheora 1.0beta2 (2007 October 12)
- Fix a crash bug on char-is-unsigned architectures (PowerPC)
- Fix a buffer sizing issue that caused rare encoder crashes
- Fix a buffer alignment issue
- Build fixes for MingW32, MSVC
- Improved format documentation.
libtheora 1.0beta1 (2007 September 22)
- Granulepos scheme modified to match other codecs. This bumps
the bitstream revision to 3.2.1. Bitstreams marked 3.2.0 are
handled correctly by this decoder. Older decoders will show
a one frame sync error in the less noticable direction.
libtheora 1.0alpha8 (2007 September 18)
- Switch to new spec compliant decoder from theora-exp branch.
Written by Dr. Timothy Terriberry.
- Add support to the encoder for using quantization settings
provided by the application.
- more assembly optimizations
libtheora 1.0alpha7 (2006 June 20)
- Enable mmx assembly by default
- Avoid some relocations that caused problems on SELinux
- Other build fixes
- time testing mode (-f) for the dump_video example
libtheora 1.0alpha6 (2006 May 30)
* Merge theora-mmx simd acceleration (x86_32 and x86_64)
* Major RTP payload specification update
* Minor format specification updates
* Fix some spurious calls to free() instead of _ogg_free()
* Fix invalid array indexing in PixelLineSearch()
* Improve robustness against invalid input
* General warning cleanup
* The offset_y member now means what every application thought it meant
(offset from the top). This will mean some old files (those with a
non-centered image created with a buggy encoder) will display differently.
libtheora 1.0alpha5 (2005 August 20)
* Fixed bitrate management bugs that caused popping and encode
* Fixed a crash problem with the theora_state internals not
being intialized properly.
* new utility function:
* dump_video example now makes YUV4MPEG files by default, so
the results can be fed back to encoder_example and similar
tools. The old behavior is restored through the '-r' switch.
* ./configure now prints a summary
* simple unit test of the comment api under 'make check'
* misc code cleanup, warning and leak fixes
libtheora 1.0alpha4 (2004 December 15)
* first draft of the Theora I Format Specification
* API documentation generated from theora.h with Doxygen
* fix a double-update bug in the motion analysis
* apply the loop filter before filling motion vector border
in the reference frame
* new utility functions:
* optional support for building without floating point
* optional support for building without encode support
* various build and packaging fixes
* pkg-config support
* SymbianOS build support
libtheora 1.0alpha3 (2004 March 20)
UPDATE: on 2004 July 1 the Theora I bitstream format was frozen. Files
produced by the libtheora 1.0alpha3 reference encoder will always be
decodable by the Theora I spec.
* Bitstream info header FORMAT CHANGES:
- move the granulepos shift field to maintain byte alignment longer.
- reserve 5 additional bits for subsampling and interlace flags.
* Bitstream setup header FORMAT CHANGES:
- support for a range of interpolated quant matricies.
- include the in-loop block filter coeff.
* Bitsteam data packet FORMAT CHANGES:
- Reserve a bit for per-block Q index selection.
- Flip the coded image orientation for compatibility with VP3.
This allows lossless transcoding of VP3 content, but files
encoded with earlier theora releases would play upside down.
* example VP3 lossless transcoder
* optional support for libogg2
* timing improvements in the example player
* packaging and build system updates and fixes
libtheora 1.0alpha2 (2003 June 9)
* bitstream FORMAT CHANGES:
- store the quant tables in a third setup header for
future encoder flexibility
- store the huffman tables in the third setup header
- add a field for marking the colorspace to the info header
- add crop parameters for non-multiple-of-16 frame sizes
- add a second vorbiscomment-style metadata header
* API changes to handle multiple headers with a single
theora_decode_header() call, like libvorbis
* code cleanup and minor fixes
* new dump_video code example/utility
* experimental win32 code examples
libtheora 1.0alpha1 (2002 September 25)
* First release of the theora reference implementation
* Port of the newly opened VP3 code to the Ogg container
* Rewrite of the code for portability and to use the libogg bitpacker