TODO for the XML parser and stuff:
- Support for UTF-8 and UTF-16 encoding
=> added some convertion routines provided by Martin Durst but I didn't
try to glue them in. I plan to keep everything internally as UTF-8
this is slightly more costly but more compact, and recent processors
efficiency is cache related. The key for good performances is keeping
the data set small, so will I.
=> the new progressive reading routines call the detection code which
need to be enabled, then thest the ISO->UTF-8 stuff, and add more
charset conv routines.
- Tools to produce man pages from the SGML docs.
- Finish XPath
=> attributes addressing troubles
=> defaulted attributes handling
=> namespace axis ?
- Add Xpointer recognition/API
- Add Xlink recognition/API
=> started adding an xlink.[ch] with a unified API for XML and HTML.
- Implement XSLT
=> seems that someone volunteered ?!?
- Implement XSchemas
- O2K parsing;
=> this is a somewhat ugly mix of HTML and XML, adding a specific
routine in the comment parsing code of HTML and plug the XML
parsing one in-there should not be too hard. Key point is to get
XSL to transform all this to something decent ...
- Add regression tests for all WFC errors
=> did some in test/WFC , not added to the Makefile yet.
- Optimization of tag strings allocation.
- Language identification code, productions  to 
- Conditional sections in DTDs  to 
=> should this crap be really implemented ???
- Allow parsed entities defined in the internal subset to override
the ones defined in the external subset (DtD customization).
=> This mean that the entity content should be computed only at
use time, i.e. keep the orig string only at parse time and expand
only when referenced from the external subset :-(
Needed for complete use of most DTD from Eve Maler
- maintain coherency of namespace when doing cut'n paste operations
=> the functions are coded, but need testing
- function to rebuild the ID table ?
- extend the shell with:
- mv (yum, yum, but it's harder because directories are ordered in
our case, mvup and mvdown would be required)
- Parsing of a well balanced chunk
- Add HTML validation using the XHTML DTD
- problem: do we want to keep and maintain the code for handling
DTD/System ID cache directly in libxml ?
- Add a DTD cache prefilled with xhtml DTDs and entities and a program to
manage them -> like the /usr/bin/install-catalog from SGML
right place seems $datadir/xmldtds
- turn tester into a generic program xml-test installed with xml-devel
- Add output to XHTML in case of HTML documents.
- dynamically adapt the alloc entry point to use g_alloc()/g_free()
if the programmer wants it
- I18N: http://wap.trondheim.com/vaer/index.phtml is not XML and accepted
by the XML parser, UTF-8 should be checked when there is no "encoding"
- External entities loading:
- allow override by client code
- make sure it is alled for all external entities referenced
Done, client code should use xmlSetExternalEntityLoader() to set
the default loading routine. It will be called each time an external
entity entity resolution is triggered.
- maintain ID coherency when removing/changing attributes
The function used to deallocate attributes now check for it being an
ID and removes it from the table.
- push mode parsing i.e. non-blocking state based parser
done, both for XML and HTML parsers. Use xmlCreatePushParserCtxt()
and xmlParseChunk() and html counterparts.
The tester program now has a --push option to select that parser
front-end. Douplicated tests to use both and check results are similar.
- Most of XPath, still see some troubles and occasionnal memleaks.
- an XML shell, allowing to traverse/manipulate an XML document with
a shell like interface, and using XPath for the anming syntax
- use of readline and history added when available
- the shell interface has been cleanly separated and moved to debugXML.c
- HTML parser, should be fairly stable now
- API to search the lang of an attribute
- Collect IDs at parsing and maintain a table.
PBM: maintain the table coherency
PBM: how to detect ID types in absence of DtD !
- Use it for XPath ID support
- Add validity checking
Should be finished now !
- Add regression tests with entity substitutions
- External Parsed entities, either XML or external Subset  and 
parsing the xmllang DtD now works, so it should be sufficient for
most cases !
- progressive reading. The entity support is a first step toward
asbtraction of an input stream. A large part of the context is still
located on the stack, moving to a state machine and putting everyting
in the parsing context should provide an adequate solution.
=> Rather than progressive parsing, give more power to the SAX-like
interface. Currently the DOM-like representation is built but
=> it should be possible to define that only as a set of SAX callbacks
and remove the tree creation from the parser code.
- DOM support, instead of using a proprietary in memory
format for the document representation, the parser should
call a DOM API to actually build the resulting document.
Then the parser becomes independent of the in-memory
representation of the document. Even better using RPC's
the parser can actually build the document in another
=> Work started, now the internal representation is by default
very near a direct DOM implementation. The DOM glue is implemented
as a separate module. See the GNOME gdome module.
- C++ support : John Ehresman <email@example.com>
- Updated code to follow more recent specs, added compatibility flag
- Better error handling, use a dedicated, overridable error
- Support for CDATA.
- Keep track of line numbers for better error reporting.
- Support for PI (SAX one).
- Support for Comments (bad, should be in ASAP, they are parsed
but not stored), should be configurable.
- Improve the support of entities on save (+SAX).