* minor compilation fixes from freebsd ports maintainer Roman Bogorodskiy
* Fixed bug in buffering code when using SDL as audio output; this fixes
possible hickups in such cases.
* When changing back directories in the file browser, jump to the
position in the file list the user came from.
* Reduced number of warnings using newer g++ versions
* Fixed parallel build bug, make -j now works
* Fixed typos in CharsetMap documentation
* Implemented screen resizing
* Fixed a race condition which caused 100% CPU consumption at the end of
each played song
* Added support for audio playback using SDL (mixer is not supported (yet))
* Added Esound (Enlightened Sound Daemon) support
* Removed strict dependency on OSS support, now that there are alternatives
* Cleaned up code to allow compilation on MacOS X Tiger and Cygwin
* Fixed a couple of minor memory allocation bugs
* Fixed NAS playback (should work, but untested)
* Made cursor follow the highlighted bar in playlist/filemanager, to aid
* Fixed a bug in mpegsound library that could cause mp3blaster to crash.
Thanks go to Serge van den Boom for reporting the problem.
* Updated source to compile with recent gcc compilers
* Pausing mp3/wav/ogg playback releases the sound device
* Better mp3 integrity checks. Songs that didn't previously play (or only
partly), should now play fine (as in, the bits that are valid)
* Fixed a bug that would hang mp3blaster if you'd be in a dir that was deleted
* bugfix that could crash mp3blaster after a request to quit (..)
* bugfix that failed to redraw screen correctly after operations that
required input (such as convert to wav, enter group name, ..)
* fixed a bug that could crash mp3blaster on opening oggs when sound device
* Check if the playlist directory actually exists before trying to write
* Added '--repeat/-R' command line option
* Applied LIRC support patch from Olgierd Pieczul <email@example.com>.
Thanks a lot!
* Fixed file size display for files that crossed the 10000 bytes/kbytes
boundary by a bit.
* Applied patch from Serge v/d Boom for nmixer. F1..F10 switches directly
to /dev/dsp[0..10], except that dsp0 is dsp.
* Changed RPM .spec file such that all compression methods for man files will
* Fixed a bug that could cause the playlist repeat to stop (thanks to
Alex Rasmussen for finding the bug)
* Command line options for nmixer changed, and it's now possible to select a
different hardware mixer device.
* Fixed a bug that caused mp3blaster to quit when the user's homedir could
not be determined.
* Compiles on gcc-3.* without errors
* Trailing slash in HTTP URLs is only appended after the hostname, not in
URLs that contain a path following the hostname. This means that mp3's can
now be played straight from an URL again.
* For HTTP streams, HTTP/1.1 is used instead of HTTP/1.0 (this, and previous
suggestion submitted by Markus Jerger. Thanks!)
* Applied a patch from Douglas Richard that introduces horizontal panning
of the scrollable window using Key.Left and Key.Right, as well as
configurable wraparound-behaviour (see config file directive 'WrapAround')
and jump-to-top/bottom of the list using Key.Home and Key.End keybindings.
* When resetting sound device failed, playback of current song is stopped.
* config file directive 'SkipFrames' => 'SkipLength'
* Added RPM specfile, so you can build mp3blaster on RedHat 7.2 with
rpm -ta <source tarball>
* applied patches from Martijn to fix compiling issues with NetBSD/curses.
* applied patch from Martijn that fixes endian issues in waveplayer
* applied patch from Ivan Prokudin that fixes a bug in the character
set recoding code.
* Added patch from Serge v/d Boom that writes info about mp3's being played
to a status file (see --status-file).
* Fixed bug that prevented showing next song
* Configfile directive 'File.ID3Names' enabled now implies that the default
file display mode in the filemanager is show by ID3 name instead of
* When decoding mp3s as wavs, decoding will be aborted with a warning
when samplerate/speed/stereo-mode changes.
* ID3tags in ID3 displaying mode are now charset-recoded as well.
* Implemented 'next group' feature; It's similar to changing to the next CD on
a CD changer.
* Playlist doesn't stop on files that can't be opened anymore.
* Added workaround for bug in RH7.2's ncurses version that would crash
* Properly opens and resets sound devices according to the OSS programming
manual. This will fix playback problems on machines that had problems with
sound device handling, especially with bad mp3's. Thanks go out to Markus
Bresch for pointing this out.
* Added XING header parsing, which means the total time of most VBR mp3's will
be guessed correctly, without having to scan the entire file. With
configfile directive 'ScanMP3', scanning VBR files can still be enabled,
but this is not encouraged, especially not for mp3's streamed over a slow
connection or medium.
* Fixed sorting problems in recursive file select / dirs as groups.
* removed 'start/stop playlist': The cd-style keys for start and stop
now handle this, because it's more logical (thanks Joachim for pointing
that out). Note that if one presses stop, mp3blaster will no longer know
which songs it has already played in the current playlist, contrary to
* Playlist will now repeat if this option is set and 'next song' is performed
on the last song in the list.
* Added configfile directive 'File.ID3Names', with which you can enable
searching for ID3 songinfo in the file manager. Displaying ID3 tags has
become a lot faster, because id3-names will only be read from the files
when they're being displayed (thanks Martijn!)
* Added 'select some items' with which you can select specific items matching
a pattern in a playlist or directory. Searchmethods can be global (default,
see fnmatch(2)), or regex (configfile: SelectItems.Regex = 1).
* Added 'unselect all'
* Fixed bug that left files without id3tags open. Thanks to Randy Hron for
* Fixed a bug that will hopefully eliminate static noise while playing
oggVorbis files (thanks Martijn).
* Fixed 8/16-bit handling, which will fix playing 8-bit .wav files as well.
* When adding dirs as groups, or recursively selecting files, they'll be
sorted as specified.
* Fixed cosmetic bug in displaying stereo mode (JointStereo => Stereo)
* Fixed cosmetic bug when scrolling content in filebrowser
* Extended scrollbar to full width of window (thanks Marius Cienki)
* Wrote own routine to read input (e.g. when prompting for group name,
changing to a custom dir, etc), with the ability to start with a filled
* Added file rename feature.
* splay will now honour compile-time set sounddevice.
* mixer device can be specified in config file / cmdline
* '[..]' can't be deleted anymore.
* fixed time display for mp3's > 99 minutes
* patch from Martijn for NetBSD
* applied patch from Dmitry Sergienko which will allow mapping ID3 info
text to another character set (config file directive CharsetTable,
* applied documentation/small bugfixes patch from Zyrnix.
* applied a patch from Craig Gallagher which enables .m3u playlist loading
V3.0 (final) 2001/09/19
* implemented 'previous track', and therefore switched to the first 3.0
stable version since albeit all functions from 2.* now work.
* "--enable-newthreads" configure option auto-enables pth instead of pthreads
* more patches from Martijn van Buul for better 'newthreads' playback - please
test! 'newthreads' is still beta.
* OggVorbis support! 99% of the player's functionality works with this format.
More info on this free codec: http://www.xiph.org/ogg/vorbis/
* Fixed wav playback
* sid files can be played back again - though no seeking/time display yet.
* SkipFrames keyword has changed; instead of skipping a number of frames,
it now skips a number of seconds. Therefore, you have to lower your current
setting a lot (divide by 100). The number of seconds it skips in an mp3 is
not very accurate.
* Splay's '-d -' produces a WAV-file on stdout.
* missing trailing slashes in HTTP stream URL's are automagically added
* fixed colour highlighting of files in filemanager
* cleaned up autoconf/automake files to make better use of it; as a result,
some configure options have been renamed.
* Finally, the correct time is displayed for VBR mp3's (thanks to Thomas
* Skips in sound should be severely reduced.
* Disabled the nonblocking audio write code for all OS's except FreeBSD. It
uses more CPU-time but it stops the short sound interrupts which occurred
too easily (even with large buffer).
* Added alpha buffer code from Martijn van Buul. You can try this code by
configuring with --enable-newthreads. Please test if you dare! You need
libpth though (http://www.gnu.org/software/pth/pth.html).
* File display toggle in filemanager. If 'File.ID3Names' in config file is
enabled, mp3's can be shown by their id3-tag instead of their filename.
The toggle can also be used to get rid of the file sizes in the file manager.
The filemanager can be quite slow with ID3 names enabled in the config file!
* Another mpegsound library fix that prevents too slow playback on some
* File-deletion added ('D') - doesn't warn! Change the keybinding if you're
afraid of accidentally pressing it.
* Skip to end of song functionality added ('E')
* Unset pause when a new song is being played.
* updated splay.cc to compile with recent gcc-3.0 prerelease.
* updated sample.mp3blasterrc (PlaylistMatching line was bogus!)
* mp3tag has become very slow due to changes in mpegsound lib. Gotta fix this
* Rewrote README file, added FAQ, updated TODO
* Mp3blaster honours AudiofileMatching config parameter for command-line
supplied mp3's now
* Fixed another bug in the mpegsound lib that could cause crashes. Playing
2.4 linux kernel images doesn't crash mp3blaster anymore ;=)
* New configfile option 'HideOtherFiles', which can hide non-audiofiles in the
* Sort order of files can be toggled within file manager. Default sort order
can be set with config file keyword 'File.SortOrder'
* Fixed a bug that caused recursive file selecting to loop forever.
* Rewrote manual for version 3.0*, including configuration file docs.
* HTTP streaming works again - no shoutcast *.pls parsing yet, you have to
read the HTTP-address to the audiostream from the file yourself for now.
* Finally fixed bugs in the mpegsound lib that caused crashes (notably
floating point exceptions, and segmentation faults to some extent). This
also fixes problems with some VBR mp3's - you should be able to play them
well now. If you still find an mp3 that crashes mp3blaster (and it's
repeatable), please mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
* The program 'nmixer' shows which devices can be recorded from, and you can
set the recording device.
* Global playmodes have been renamed and their behaviour has changed to make
more use of the new recursive group structure.