Minimum Profit Release Notes
* Fixed a bug in the GTK version introduced by newer versions of
pango; with some fonts, the average char width was not correctly
returned and the cursor moved further the right margin without the
text scrolling to the left.
* Minor bug fixes: added handling of the keypad Enter key under GTK
and fixed a crash on GTK 1.x on SunOS when closing the application
with multiple documents open.
* mp_doccer is no longer included in Minimum Profit.
* The special file name - (hyphen) can be used to read from stdin
and write to stdout, making mp useful as a pager or filter (but only
usable with the GTK interface).
* A new configuration file directive has been added, wheel_scroll_rows,
to set the number of lines to move per hit to the mouse wheel.
* Spellchecking support has been added. You need the ispell package
and the corresponding dictionaries to use it.
* New syntax highlight for LaTeX documents.
* New syntax highlight for diff files.
* A new configuration file directive for the GTK interface, gtk_maximize,
to maximize the main window on startup, has been added.
* Menu definition behaviour have changed. Due to a (probably very old)
bug, whenever a menu entry was defined in the configuration file, the
menu was reset to empty; so, to add your own menu bar to the existing
menu, you had to duplicate all default menu entries (probably copying
them from mprc.sample). This is, obviously, not what I intended; in
fact, the 'menu_reset' configuration directive was created precisely
to do that if you wanted to rewrite your menu from scratch. As I don't
use customized menus myself, I didn't realize this was happening. I've
fixed it, so all menu definitions in mprc are appended to the default
menu, but if you have redefined it, remember to add the 'menu_reset'
directive just before the 'menu' and 'menu_item' directives or you'll
get duplicated entries.
* The german translation has been updated (patch by Ronny Steiner).
* A command line argument in the form +NNN forces the first open
file's cursor to move to the NNN line. Added for compatibility
with other text editors.
* Cancelling the 'exec-command' no longer give spurious errors.
* Fixed non-printable character detection in some architectures.
* Small build / install improvements; permissions in .mo files
have been fixed (patch by David Jensen), the mkinstalldirs script
is used (also suggested by David Jensen), the CFLAGS environment
variable is back (the config.sh script was ignoring it).
* The italian translation has been updated (patch by Andrea).
* The GTK 2.x version now has support for the Pango library, active by
default. Pango adds support for antialiased fonts. Though they look
arguably better, they also penalize the overall performance on slow
machines, so they can be disabled by adding "use_pango: 0" to the
* Screen management under GTK has been optimized somehow, so it should
feel faster overall.
* A new editor function has added, 'prev', to move backwards in the list
of open documents. It is not bound to any key by default, so if you
want to use it, bind it.
* The editor function 'document-list' (bound by default to Ctrl-O) shows
a list with the currently open documents and allows one to be selected
as the active one. This list marks now (with an asterisk) the modified
documents, and the active one is selected (instead of the first in the
list as in previous versions).
* The icon for the GTK version was lost.