Please note the following customizations of the Net-SNMP packages for
- It doesn't ship some MIBs (IANA, IETF) from license reason.
Please download it
- The default configuration for snmpd is rather paranoid for security
reasons. Edit /etc/snmp/snmpd.conf or run snmpconf (in snmp package)
to allow greater access.
- The snmpconf program provides a simple, menu driven way of configuring
the snmp applications and daemons.
- You can individually control whether or not snmpd and snmpdtrap are
run by editing /etc/default/snmp. In addition, neither daemon will be
run if its config file in /etc/snmp is removed.
- As of net-snmp version 5.0, the community string can no longer be
specified after the agent parameter on the command line. It must now
be specified with the -c option. Please see snmpcmd(1) for more
- snmpd is built with TCP Wrappers. Make sure your /etc/hosts.allow and
/etc/hosts.deny files account for this.