Changes in 3.1.12
* FIX: dhx uams: build with LibreSSL, GitHub#91
* FIX: various spelling errors
* FIX: CVE-2018-1160
Changes in 3.1.11
* NEW: Global option "zeroconf name", FR#99
* NEW: show Zeroconf support by "netatalk -V", FR#100
* UPD: gentoo: Switch openrc init script to openrc-run, GitHub#77
* FIX: log message: name of function doese not match, GitHub#78
* UPD: volume capacity reporting to match Samba behavior, GitHub#83
* FIX: debian: sysv init status command exits with proper exit code, GitHub#84
* FIX: dsi_stream_read: len:0, unexpected EOF, GitHub#82
* UPD: dhx uams: OpenSSL 1.1 support, GitHub#87
Changes in 3.1.10
* FIX: cannot build when ldap is not defined, bug #630
* FIX: SIGHUP can cause core dump when mdns is enabled, bug #72
* FIX: Solaris: stale pid file puts netatalk into maintenance mode, bug #73
* FIX: dsi_stream_read: len:0, unexpected EOF, bug #633
Changes in 3.1.9
* FIX: afpd: fix "admin group" option
* NEW: afpd: new options "force user" and "force group"
* FIX: listening on IPv6 wildcard address may fail if IPv6 is
disabled, bug #606
* NEW: LibreSSL support, FR #98
* FIX: cannot build when acl is not defined, bug #574
* UPD: configure option "--with-init-style=" for Gentoo.
"gentoo" is renamed to "gentoo-openrc".
"gentoo-openrc" is same as "openrc".
"gentoo-systemd" is same as "systemd".
* NEW: configure option "--with-dbus-daemon=PATH" for Spotlight feature
* UPD: use "tracker daemon" command instead of "tracker-control" command
if Gnome Tracker is the recent version.
* NEW: configure options "--enable-rpath" and "--disable-rpath" which
can be used to force setting of RPATH (default on Solaris/NetBSD)
or disable it.
* NEW: configure option "--with-tracker-install-prefix" allows setting
an alternate install prefix for tracker when cross-compiling.
* UPD: asip-status.pl: IPv6 support
* UPD: asip-status.pl: show GSS-UAM SPNEGO blob
* FIX: afpd: don't use network IDs without LDAP, bug #621
* FIX: afpd: reading from file may fail, bug #619
* NEW: AFP clients should not be able to copy or manipulate special
extended attributes set by NFS and SMB servers on Solaris, issue #36
* FIX: ad: ad cp may crash, bug #622
* UPD: Update Unicode support to version 9.0.0
Changes in 3.1.8
* FIX: CNID/MySQL: Quote UUID table names.
* FIX: Crash in cnid_metad, bug #593
* UPD: Update Unicode support to version 8.0.0
* FIX: larger server side copyfile buffer for improved IO performance,
* NEW: afpd: new option "ea = samba". Use Samba vfs_streams_xattr
compatible xattrs which means adding a 0 byte at the end of
* FIX: remove #541 workaround patch. There was this problem with only early
* FIX: rpmbuild fails on Fedora x86_64, bug #598
* FIX: Listen on IPv6 wildcard address by default, bug #602
* FIX: FCE protocol version 1 packets, bug #603
* UPD: Update list of BerkeleyDB versions searched at configure time
Changes in 3.1.7
* UPD: Spotlight: enhance behaviour for long running queries, client
will now show "progress wheel" while waiting for first results.
* FIX: netatalk: fix a crash on Solaris when registering with mDNS
* FIX: netatalk: SIGHUP would kill the process instead of being resent
to the other Netatalk processes, bug #579
* FIX: afpd: Solaris locking problem, bug #559
* FIX: Handling of malformed UTF8 strings, bug #524
* FIX: afpd: umask handling, bug #576
* FIX: Spotlight: Limiting searches to subfolders, bug #581
* FIX: afpd: reloading logging config may result in privilege
escalation in afpd processes
* FIX: afpd: ACL related error messages, now logged with loglevel
debug instead of error
* FIX: cnid_metad: fix tsockfd_create() return value on error
* FIX: CNID/MySQL: volume table name generation, bug #566.
Changes in 3.1.6
* FIX: Spotlight: fix for long running queries
* UPD: afpd: distribute SIGHUP from parent afpd to children and force
* FIX: netatalk: refresh Zeroconf registration when receiving SIGHUP
* NEW: configure option "--with-init-style=debian-systemd" for Debian 8 jessie
"--with-init-style=debian" is renamed "--with-init-style=debian-sysv".
Changes in 3.1.5
* FIX: Spotlight: several important fixes
Changes in 3.1.4
* FIX: afpd: Hangs in Netatalk which causes it to stop responding to
connections, bug #572.
* NEW: afpd: new option "force xattr with sticky bit = yes|no"
(default: no), FR #94
* UPD: afpd: FCE version 2 with new event types and new config options
"fce ignore names" and "fce notify script"
* UPD: afpd: check for modified included config file, FR #95.
* UPD: libatalk: logger: remove flood protection and allocate messages
* UPD: Spotlight: use async Tracker SPARQL API
* NEW: afpd: new option "case sensitive = yes|no" (default: yes)
In spite of being case sensitive as a matter of fact, netatalk
3.1.3 and earlier did not notify kCaseSensitive flag to the client.
Now, it is notified correctly by default, FR #62.
Changes in 3.1.3
* UPD: Spotlight: more SPARQL query optimisations
* UPD: Spotlight: new options "sparql results limit", "spotlight
attributes" and "spotlight expr"
* FIX: afpd: Unarchiving certain ZIP archives fails, bug #569
* UPD: Update Unicode support to version 7.0.0
* FIX: Memory overflow caused by 'basedir regex', bug #567
* NEW: afpd: delete empty resource forks, from FR #92
* FIX: afpd: fix a crash when accessing ._ AppleDouble files created
by OS X via SMB, bug #564
* FIX: afpd and dbd: Converting from AppleDouble v2 to ea may corrupt
the resource fork. In some circumstances an offset calculation
is wrong resulting in corrupt resource forks after the
conversion. Bug #568.
* FIX: ad: fix for bug #563 broke ad file utilities, bug #570.
* NEW: afpd: new advanced option controlling permissions and ACLs,
from FR #93
Changes in 3.1.2
* FIX: Option "vol dbpath" was broken in 3.1.1
* FIX: Spotlight: file modification date, bug #545
* FIX: Improve reliability of afpd child handler
* FIX: debian initscript: add 0 and 6 to Default-Stop. debian-bug#745520
* FIX: put the Solaris share reservation after our locking stuff, bug #560.
* UPD: Improve Linux quota behaviour
* FIX: xattrs on *BSD, bug #562
* NEW: afpd: support for using $u username variable in AFP volume
* FIX: getvolbypath returns incorrect volume, bug #563
* FIX: fd leak when using appledouble = v2, bug #554
* UPD: New options that control whether dbus and Tracker are started:
'start dbus' and 'start tracker', both default to yes, FR#91
* UPD: Spotlight: SPARQL query optimisations
Changes in 3.1.1
* FIX: Add asprint() compatibility function for systems lacking it
* FIX: Fix ressource fork name conversion. Bug #534.
* FIX: Fix a bug where only the first configured UAM was loaded.
* UPD: Add support for AFP 3.4. From FR #85.
* FIX: Registering with mDNS crashed. Bug #540
* FIX: Saving from applications like Photoshop may fail, because
removing the ressource fork AppleDouble file failed. Bug #542.
* FIX: dbd: remove orphaned ._ AppleDouble files. Bug #549.
* NEW: afpd: Automatic conversion of ._ AppleDouble files
created by OS X. Bug #550.
* FIX: afpd: Fix a crash in of_closefork(). Bug #551.
* FIX: dbd: Don't print message "Ignoring ._file" for every ._ file.
* FIX: afpd: Don't flood log with failed sys_set_ea() messages.
Changes in 3.1.0
* NEW: AFP Spotlight support with Gnome Tracker
* NEW: New option "spotlight" (G/V)
* NEW: Configure option --with-tracker-pkgconfig-version
* NEW: Configure option --with-tracker-prefix
* NEW: If Spotlight is enabled, launch our own dbus instance
* NEW: New option "dbus daemon" (G)
* UPD: Add configure option --with-afpstats for overriding the
result of autodetecting dbus-glib presence
* NEW: Add recvfile support with splice() on Linux. New global options
"recvfile" (default: no) and "splice size" (default 64k).
* NEW: CNID backend "mysql" for use with a MySQL server
Changes in 3.0.7
* FIX: Build fixes for the Kerberos UAM
* UPD: Use dedicated exit code for AFP connections that were dropped
by the client right after the TCP handshake
* FIX: Workaround for a problem which cannot be advertized by Avahi. Bug #541.
* FIX: Registering with mDNS crashed. Bug #540
* FIX: Saving from applications like Photoshop may fail, because
removing the ressource fork AppleDouble file failed. Bug #542.
* FIX: macusers showed root user. Bug #495.
* UPD: Add file pathname to logmessage parse_entries: bogus eid. FR#87.
Changes in 3.0.6
* FIX: charset conversion failed when copying from Mac OS 9. Bug #523.
* UPD: Don't force S_ISGID for directories on FreeBSD. Bug #525.
* NEW: Add support for ZFS ACLs on FreeBSD with libsunacl. From FR#83.
* FIX: Active Directory LDAP queries for ACL support with new options
"ldap user filter" and "ldap group filter". Bug #526.
* NEW: Option "vol dbnest", when set to true, the CNID database for
a volume is stored in the volume root of a share in a directory
.AppleDB like in Netatalk 2. Defaults to false. From FR#84.
* FIX: Small fix in the DSI tickle handling. Bug #528.
* UPD: Enhance handling of connection attempts when hitting the
connection limit. Bug #529.
* FIX: Saving from Word to a folder that is a symlink to a folder on
another filesystem results in a crash of the afpd process and
the save to fail. This happens only if the option
"follow symlinks" is enabled. Bug #532.
* FIX: Disable Kerberos UAM if AFP service principal name can't be
evaluated. Fixes bug #531.
* FIX: Fix handling of large number of volumes. Bug #527.
* NEW: Configure option --with-tbd which can be used to disable the
use of the bundled tdb and use a system installed version.
Changes in 3.0.5
* FIX: Fix a crash when using pam_winbind. Fixes bug #516.
* NEW: New global/volume option "ignored attributes"
* FIX: "afp listen" option failed to take IPv6 addresses. Bug #515.
* FIX: Fix a possible crash in set_groups. Bug #518.
* NEW: Send optional AFP messages for vetoed files, new option
"veto message" can be used to enable sending messages.
Then whenever a client tries to access any file or directory
with a vetoed name, it will be sent an AFP message indicating
the name and the directory. From FR #81.
* NEW: New boolean volume option "delete veto files". If this option is
set to yes, then Netatalk will attempt to recursively delete any
vetoed files and directories. FR #82.
* UPD: systemd unit dir is /usr/lib/systemd/system .
* FIX: Saving files from application like MS Word may result in the file
loosing metadata like the Finder label. Bug #521.
Changes in 3.0.4
* FIX: Opening files without metadata EA may result in an invalid
metadata EA. Check for malformed metadata EAs and delete them.
Fixes bug #510.
* FIX: Fix an issue with filenames containing non-ASCII characters that
lead to a failure setting the size of a files ressource fork.
This affected application like Adobe Photoshop where saving
files may fail. Fixes bug #511.
* UPD: Enhance ACL mapping, change global ACL option 'map acls' to take
the following options: "none", "rights" (default), "mode".
none = no mapping, this resembles the previous false/no setting
rights = map ACLs to Finder UARights, this resembles the previous
true/yes setting. This is the default.
mode = map ACLs to Finder UARights and UNIX mode
From FR #73.
* FIX: Fix a possible crash in cname() where cname_mtouname calls
dirlookup() where the curdir is freed because the dircache
detected a dev/inode cache difference and evicted the object
from the cache. Fixes bug #498.
* FIX: Add missing include, fixes bug #512.
* FIX: Change default FinderInfo for directories to be all 0, fixes
* NEW: New option "afp interfaces" which allows specifying where
Netatalk listens for AFP connections by interface names.
From FR #79.
Changes in 3.0.3
* UPD: afpd: Increase default DSI server quantum to 1 MB
* UPD: bundled libevent2 is now static
* NEW: --with-lockfile=PATH configure option for specifying an
alternative path for the netatalk lockfile.
* UPD: systemd service file use PIDFile and ExecReload.
From FR #70.
* UPD: RedHat sysvinit: rm graceful, reimplement reload, add condrestart
* FIX: Couldn't create folders on FreeBSD 9.1 ZFS fileystems.
Fixed bug #491.
* FIX: Fix an issue with user homes when user home directory has not the
same name as the username.
Fixes bug #497.
* UPD: Fix PAM config install, new default installation dir is
$sysconfdir/pam.d/. Add configure option --with-pam-confdir
to specify alternative path.
* NEW: AFP stats about active session via dbus IPC. Client side python
program `afpstats`. Requires dbus, dbus-glib any python-dbus.
configure option --dbus-sysconf-dir for specifying dbus
system security configuration files.
New option 'afpstats' (default: no) which determines whether
to enable the feature or not.
* NEW: configure option --with-init-dir
* NEW: dtrace probes, cf include/atalk/afp_dtrace.d for available
* UPD: Reload groups when reloading volumes. FR #71.
* FIX: Attempt to read read-only ._ rfork results in disconnect.
Fixes bug #502.
* FIX: File's ressource fork can't be read if metadata EA is missing.
Fixes bug #501.
* FIX: Conversion from adouble v2 to ea for directories.
Fixes bug #500.
* FIX: Error messages when mounting read-only filesystems.
Fixes bug #504.
* FIX: Permissions of ._ AppleDouble ressource fork after conversion
from v2 to ea.
Fixes bug #505.
* UPD: Use FreeBSD sendfile() capability to send protocol header.
From FR #75.
* UPD: Increase IO size when sendfile() is not used.
From FR #76.
* FIX: Can't set Finder label on symlinked folder with "follow symlinks = yes".
Fixes bug #508.
* FIX: Setting POSIX ACLs on Linux
Fixes bug #506.
* FIX: "ad ls" segfault if requested object is not in an AFP volume.
Fixes bug #496.
Changes in 3.0.2
* NEW: afpd: Put file extension type/creator mapping back in which had
been removed in 3.0.
* NEW: afpd: new option 'ad domain'. From FR #66.
* FIX: volumes and home share with symlinks in the path
* FIX: Copying packages to a Netatalk share could fail, bug #469
* FIX: Reloading volumes from config file was broken. Fixes bug #474.
* FIX: Fix _device-info service type registered with dns-sd API
* FIX: Fix pathname bug for FCE modified event.
* FIX: Remove length limitation of options like "valid users".
Fixes bug #473.
* FIX: Dont copy our metadata EA in copyfile(). Fixes bug #452.
* FIX: Fix an error where catalog search gave incomplete results.
Fixes bug #479.
* REM: Remove TimeMachine volume used size FCE event.
* UPD: Add quoting support to '[in]valid users' option. Fixes bug #472.
* FIX: Install working PAM config on Solaris 11. Fixes bug #481.
* FIX: Fix a race condition between dbd and the cnid_dbd daemon
which could result in users being disconnected from volumes
when dbd was scanning their volumes. Fixes bug #477.
* FIX: Netatalk didn't start when the last line of the config file
afp.conf wasn't terminated by a newline. Fixes bug #476.
* NEW: Add a new volumes option 'follow symlinks'. The default setting is
false, symlinks are not followed on the server. This is the same
behaviour as OS X's AFP server.
Setting the option to true causes afpd to follow symlinks on the
server. symlinks may point outside of the AFP volume, currently
afpd doesn't do any checks for "wide symlinks".
* FIX: Automatic AppleDouble conversion to EAs failing for directories.
Fixes bug #486.
* FIX: dbd failed to convert appledouble files of symlinks.
Fixes bug #490.
Changes in 3.0.1
* NEW: afpd: Optional "ldap uuid encoding = string | ms-guid" parameter to
afp.conf, allowing for usage of the binary objectGUID fields from
* FIX: afpd: Fix a Solaris 10 SPARC sendfilev bug
* FIX: afpd: Fix a crash on FreeBSD
* FIX: afpd: Fixes open file handle refcounting bug which was reported as
being unable to play movies off a Netatalk AFP share.
Bug ID 3559783.
* FIX: afpd: Fix a possible data corruption when reading from and writing
to the server simultaniously under load
* FIX: Fix possible alignment violations due to bad casts
* FIX: dbd: Fix logging
* FIX: apple_dump: Extended Attributes AppleDouble support for *BSD
* FIX: handling of '/' and ':' in volume name
* UPD: Install relevant includes necessary for building programs with
installed headers and shared lib libatalk
* UPD: libevent configure args to pick up installed version. Removed
configure arg --disable-libevent, added configure args
* UPD: gentoo initscript: merge from portage netatalk.init,v 1.1
* REM: Remove --with-smbsharemodes configure option, it was an
empty stub not yet implemented
Changes in 3.0
* UPD: afpd: force read only mode if cnid scheme is last
* REM: afpd: removed global option "icon"
* FIX: CNID path for user homes
Changes in 3.0 beta2
* UPD: Solaris and friends: Replace initscript with SMF manifest
* FIX: Solaris and friends: resource fork handling
Changes in 3.0 beta1
* UPD: afpd: Performance tuning of read/write AFP operations. New option
"afp read locks" (default: no) which disables that the server
applies UNIX byte range locks to regions of files in AFP read and
* UPD: apple_dump: Extended Attributes AppleDouble support.
(*BSD is not supported yet)
Changes in 3.0 alpha3
* NEW: afpd: Per volume "login message", NetAFP bug ID #18
* NEW: afpd: Cross-platform locking (share modes) on Solaris and derivates
with Solaris CIFS/SMB server. Uses new Solaris fcntl F_SHARE share
reservation locking primitives. Enabled by default, set global
"solaris share reservations" option to false to disable it.
* NEW: ad: ad set subcommand for changing Mac metadata on the server
* UPD: unix charset is UTF8 by default.
vol charset is same value as unix charset by default.
* UPD: .AppleDesktop/ are stored in $localstatedir/netatalk/CNID
(default: /var/netatalk/CNID), databases found in AFP volumes are
* FIX: afpd: Server info packet was malformed resulting in broken
server names being displayed on clients
* FIX: afpd: Byte order detection. Fixes an error where Netatalk on
OpenIndiana returned wrong volume size information.
Changes in 3.0 alpha2
* UPD: afpd: Store '.' as is and '/' as ':' on the server, don't
CAP hexencode as "2e" and "2f" respectively
* UPD: afdp: Automatic name conversion, renaming files and directories
containing CAP sequences to their not enscaped forms
* UPD: afpd: Correct handling of user homes and users without homes
* UPD: afpd: Perform complete automatic adouble:v2 to adouble:ea conversion
as root. Previously only unlinking the adouble:v2 file was done as root
* UPD: dbd: -C option removes CAP encoding
* UPD: Add graceful option to RedHat init script
* UPD: Add --disable-bundled-libevent configure options When set to yes,
we rely on a properly installed version on libevent CPPFLAGS and LDFLAGS
should be set properly to pick that up
* UPD: Run ldconfig on Linux at the end of make install
* FIX: afpd: ad cp on appledouble = ea volumes
* FIX: dbd: ignore ._ appledouble files
* REM: Volumes options "use dots" and "hex encoding"
Changes in 3.0 alpha1
* NEW: Central configuration file afp.conf which replaces all previous files
* NEW: netatalk: service controller starting and restarting afpd and cnid_metad
* NEW: afpd: Extended Attributes AppleDouble backend (default)
* UPD: CNID databases are stored in $localstatedir/netatalk/CNID
(default: /var/netatalk/CNID), databases found in AFP volumes are
* UPD: Start scripts and service manifests have been changed to only start
the new netatalk service controller process
* UPD: afpd: UNIX privileges and use dots enabled by default
* UPD: afpd: Support for arbitrary AFP volumes using variable expansion has been
* UPD: afpd: afp_voluuid.conf and afp_signature.conf location has been
changed to $localstatedir/netatalk/ (default: /var/netatalk/)
* UPD: afpd: default server messages dir changed to $localstatedir/netatalk/msg/
* UPD: dbd: new option -C for conversion from AppleDouble v2 to ea
* REM: AppleTalk support has been removed
* REM: afpd: SLP and AFP proxy support have been removed
* REM: afpd: legacy file extension to type/creator mapping has been removed
* REM: afpd: AppleDouble backends v1, osx and sfm have been removed
Changes in 2.2.4
* FIX: Missing UAM links
* FIX: Lockup in AFP logout on Fedora 17
* FIX: Reset signal handlers and alarm timer after successfull PAM
authentication. Fixes a problem with AFP disconnects caused
by pam_smbpass.so messing with our handlers and timer.
* FIX: afpd: Fix a possible problem with sendfile on Solaris derived
Changes in 2.2.3
* NEW: afpd: support for mdnsresponder
* NEW: afpd: new LDAP config option ldap_uuid_string
* UPD: based on Unicode 6.1.0
* UPD: experimental systemd service files: always run both afpd and cnid_metad
* UPD: afpd: Ensure our umask is not altered by e.g. pam_umask
* UPD: afpd: Use GSS_C_NO_NAME as server principal when Kerberos options -fqdn
and -krb5service are not set, from Jamie Gilbertson
* UPD: afpd: Changed behaviour for TimeMachine volumes in case there's a problem
talking to the CNID daemons. Previously the volume was flagged read-only
and an AFP message was sent to the client. As this might result in
TimeMachine assuming the backup sparse bundle is damaged, we now just
switch the CNID database to an in-memory tdb without the additional stuff.
* FIX: afpd: sendfile() on FreeBSD was broken, courtesy of Denis Ahrens
* FIX: afpd: Dont use searchdb when doing partial name search
* FIX: afpd: Fix a possible bug handling disconnected sessions,
NetAFP Bug ID #16
* FIX: afpd: Close IPC fds in afpd session child inherited from the afpd
* FIX: dbd: Don't remove BerkeleyDB if it's still in use by e.g. cnid_dbd, fixes
bug introduced in 2.2.2
* FIX: debian initscript: start avahi-daemon (if available) before atalkd
* FIX: Zeroconf could not advertise non-ASCII time machine volume name
Changes in 2.2.2
* NEW: afpd: New option "adminauthuser". Specifying e.g. "-adminauthuser root"
whenever a normal user login fails, afpd tries to authenticate as
the specified adminauthuser. If this succeeds, a normal session is
created for the original connecting user. Said differently: if you
know the password of adminauthuser, you can authenticate as any other
* NEW: configure option "--enable-suse-systemd" for openSUSE12.1 and later.
"--enable-redhat-systemd" and "--enable-suse-systemd" are same as
"--enable-suse" is renamed "--enable-suse-sysv".
* NEW: experimental systemd service files in distrib/systemd/
* UPD: afpd: Enhanced POSIX ACL mapping semantics, from Laura Mueller
* UPD: afpd: Reset options every time a :DEFAULT: line is found in a
* UPD: afpd: Convert passwords from legacy encoding (wire format) to host
encoding, NetAFP Bug ID #14
* UPD: afpd: Don't set ATTRBIT_SHARED flag for directories
* UPD: afpd: Use sendfile() on Solaris and FreeBSD for sending data
* UPD: afpd: Faster volume used size calculation for "volsizelimit" option,
cf man AppleVolume.default for details
* FIX: afpd: ACL access checking
* FIX: afpd: Fix an error when duplicating files that lacked an AppleDouble
file which lead to a possible Finder crash
* FIX: afpd: Read-only filesystems lead to afpd processes running as root
* FIX: afpd: Fix for filesystem without NFSv4 ACL support on Solaris
* FIX: afpd: Fix catsearch bug, NetAFP Bug ID #12
* FIX: afpd: Fix dircache bug, NetAFP Bug ID #13
* FIX: dbd: Better checking for duplicated or bogus CNIDs from AppleDouble
* FIX: dbd: Remove BerkeleyDB database environment after running `dbd`. This
is crucial for the automatic BerkeleyDB database upgrade feature which
is built into cnid_dbd and dbd.
* FIX: Fix compilation error when AppleTalk support is disabled
* FIX: Portability fixes
* FIX: search of surrogate pair
Changes in 2.2.1
* NEW: afpd: disable continous service feature by default, new option
-keepsessions to enable it
* NEW: configure option "--enable-redhat-systemd" for Fedora15 and later.
"--enable-redhat" is renamed "--enable-redhat-sysv".
* UPD: afpd: Enhance ACL support detection for volumes: enable them per volume
1) ACL support compiled in, 2) the volume supports ACLs, 3) the new
volume option "noacls" is not set for the volume.
The previous behaviour was to enable ACL support for a volume if
1) it was compiled in and 2) the volume supported ACLs. There was no way
to disable ACLs for a volume.
* UPD: afpd: add a configurable hold time option to FCE file modification event
generation, default is 60 s, new option "fceholdfmod" to change it
* UPD: afpd: add support for new NetBSD quota subsystem, Bug ID 3249879
* FIX: afpd: increase BerkeleyDB locks and lockobjs
* FIX: afpd: create special folder as root
* FIX: afpd: fix compilation error if --enable-ddp is used
* FIX: afpd: More robust IPC reconnect error handling
* FIX: afpd: ACL access checking
* FIX: afpd: fix a possible race condition between SIGCHLD handler and
new connection attempts
* FIX: afpd: fix undefined behaviour when more then ~510 connetions where
* FIX: afpd: fix a crash when searching for a UUID that is not a special
local UUID and LDAP support is not compiled in
* FIX: afpd: .volinfo file not created on first volume access if user in rolist
* FIX: afpd: possible crash at startup when registering with Avahi
when Avahi is not running
* FIX: afpd: return correct user/group type when mapping UUIDs to names
* FIX: afpd: for directories add DARWIN_ACE_DELETE ACE
if DARWIN_ACE_ADD_SUBDIRECTORY is set
* FIX: afpd: afpd crashed when it failed to register with Avahi because e.g.
user service registration is disabled in the Avahi config
* FIX: dbd: function checking and removing malformed ad:ea header files failed
to chdir back to the original working directory
* FIX: cnid_dbd: increase BerkeleyDB locks and lockobjs
* FIX: cnid_dbd: implement -d option, deletes CNID db
* FIX: dbd: better detection of local (or SMB/NFS) modifications on AFP volumes
* FIX: suse: initscript return better status
* FIX: Sourcecode distribution: add missing headers
* FIX: Solaris 10: missing dirfd replacement function
* FIX: case-conversion of surrogate pair
* FIX: Compilation error on GNU/kFreeBSD, fixes Bug ID 3392794 and
* FIX: Fix Debian Bug#637025
* FIX: Multiple *BSD compilation compatibility fixes, Bug ID 3380785
* FIX: precompose_w() failed if tail character is decomposed surrogate pair
Changes in 2.2.0
* NEW: afpd: new volume option "nonetids"
* NEW: afpd: ACL access check caching
* NEW: afpd: FCE event notifications
* NEW: afpd: new option "-mimicmodel" for specifying Bonjour model registration
* UPD: Support for Berkeley DB 5.1
* UPD: case-conversion is based on Unicode 6.0.0
* UPD: cnid_metad: allow up to 4096 volumes
* UPD: afpd: only forward SIGTERM and SIGUSR1 from parent to childs
* UPD: afpd: use internal function instead of popening du -sh in order to
calculate the used size of a volume for option "volsizelimit"
* UPD: afpd: Add negative UUID caching, enhance local UUID handling
* FIX: afpd: configuration reload with SIGHUP
* FIX: afpd: crashes in the dircache
* FIX: afpd: Correct afp logout vs dsi eof behaviour
* FIX: afpd: new catsearch was broken
* FIX: afpd: only use volume UUIDs in master afpd
* FIX: dbd: Multiple fixes, reliable locking
* FIX: ad file suite: fix an error that resulted in CNID database
Changes in 2.2beta4
* NEW: afpd: new afpd.conf options "tcprcvbuf" and "tcpsndbuf" to customize
the corresponding TCP socket options.
* NEW: afpd: new afpd.conf option "nozeroconf" which disabled automatic
Zeroconf service registration.
* FIX: afpd: generate mersenne primes for DHX2 UAM once at startup,
not for every login
* FIX: afpd: DSI streaming deadlock
* FIX: afpd: extended sleep
* FIX: afpd: directory cache
* FIX: Support for platforms that do not have the *at functions
* UPD: afpd: put POSIX write lock on volume files while reading them
Changes in 2.2beta3
* FIX: afpd: fix option volsizelimit to return a usefull value for the
volume free space using `du -sh` with popen
* FIX: afpd: fix idle connection disconnects
* FIX: afpd: don't disconnect sessions for clients if boottimes don't match
* FIX: afpd: better handling of very long filenames that contain many
multibyte UTF-8 glyphs
Changes in 2.2beta2
* NEW: afpd: AFP 3.3
* UPD: afpd: AFP 3.x can't be disabled
Changes in 2.2beta1
* FIX: composition of Surrogate Pair
* UPD: gentoo,suse,cobalt,tru64: inistscript name is "netatalk", not "atalk"
* UPD: gentoo: rc-update install don't hook in the Makefile
Changes in 2.2alpha5
* UPD: afpd: new option "searchdb" which enables fast catalog searches
using the CNID db.
* UPD: Case-insensitive fast search with the CNID db
* UPD: cnid_dbd: afpd now passes the volume path, not the db path when
connecting for a volume. cnid_dbd will read the
".AppleDesktop/.volinfo" file of the volume in order to figure
out the CNID db path and the volume charset encoding.
Changes in 2.2alpha4
* NEW: Enhanced CNID "dbd" database for fast name search support.
Important: this makes cnidscheme "cdb" incompatible with "dbd".
* NEW: afpd: support for fast catalog searches
* NEW: ad utility: ad find
* UPD: afpd: CNID database versioning check for "cdb" scheme
* UPD: cnid_dbd: CNID database versioning and upgrading. Additional
CNID database index for fast name searches.
Changes in 2.2alpha3
* FIX: afpd: various fixes
* FIX: Any daemon did not run if atalkd doesn't exist (redhat/debian)
Changes in 2.2alpha2
* FIX: afpd: fix compilation error when ACL support is not available
* FIX: Ensure Appletalk manpages and config files are distributed
Changes in 2.2alpha1
* NEW: ad utility: ad cp
* NEW: ad utility: ad rm
* NEW: ad utility: ad mv
* NEW: afpd: dynamic directoy and CNID cache (new config option -dircachesize)
* NEW: afpd: POSIX 1e ACL support
* NEW: afpd: automagic Zeroconf registration with avahi, registering both
the service _afpovertcp._tcp and TimeMachine volumes with _adisk._tcp.
* UPD: afpd: ACLs usable (though not visible on the client side) without common
directory service, by mapping ACLs to UARight
* UPD: afpd: performance improvements for ACL access calculations
* UPD: AppleTalk is disabled by default at configuration time. If needed
use configure switch --enable-ddp.
* FIX: afpd: Solaris 10 compatibilty fix: don't use SO_SNDTIMEO/SO_RCVTIMEO,
use non-blocking IO and select instead.
* FIX: cnid_dbd: Solaris 10 compatibilty fix: don't use SO_SNDTIMEO/SO_RCVTIMEO,
use non-blocking IO and select instead.
* REM: afile/achfile/apple_cp/apple_mv/apple_rm: use ad
Changes in 2.1.6
* FIX: afpd: Fix for LDAP user cache corruption
* FIX: afpd: Fix for not shown ACLs for when filesyem uid or gid
couldn't be resolved because (e.g. deleted users/groups)
* FIX: gentoo: cannot set $CNID_CONFIG
* FIX: ubuntu: servername was empty
* FIX: Solaris: configure script failed to enable DDP module
* FIX: AppleDouble buffer overrun by extremely long filename
* UPD: afpd: return version info with machine type in DSIGetStatus
* UPD: dbd: use on-disk temporary rebuild db instead of in-memory db
* UPD: suse: initscript update
Changes in 2.1.5
* UPD: afpd: support newlines in -loginmesg with \n escaping syntax
* UPD: afpd: support for changed chmod semantics on ZFS with ACLs
* FIX: afpd: fix leaking ressource when moving objects on the server
* FIX: afpd: backport Solaris 10 compatibilty fix from 2.2: don't use
SO_SNDTIMEO/SO_RCVTIMEO, use non-blocking IO and select instead.
* FIX: afpd: misaligned memory access on Sparc in ad_setattr, fixes
* FIX: cnid_dbd: backport Solaris 10 compatibilty fix from 2.2: don't
use SO_SNDTIMEO/SO_RCVTIMEO, use non-blocking IO and select instead.
Changes in 2.1.4
* FIX: afpd: Downstream fix for FreeBSD PR 148022
* FIX: afpd: Fixes for bugs 3074077 and 3074078
* FIX: afpd: Better handling of symlinks in combination with ACLs and EAs.
Fixes bug 3074076.
* FIX: dbd: Adding a file with the CNID from it's adouble file did
not work in case that CNID was already occupied in the database
* FIX: macusers: add support for Solaris
* NEW: cnid_metad: use a PID lockfile
* NEW: afpd: prevent log flooding
* UPD: dbd: ignore ".zfs" snapshot directories
* UPD: dbd: support interrupting -re mode
Changes in 2.1.3
* FIX: afpd: fix a serious error in networking IO code
* FIX: afpd: Solaris 10 compatibilty fix: don't use SO_SNDTIMEO, use
non-blocking IO and select instead for writing/sending data.
* UPD: Support for BerkeleyDB 5.0.
Changes in 2.1.2
* FIX: afpd: fix for possible crash in case more then one server is
configured in afpd.conf.
* FIX: afpd: ExtendedAttributes in FreeBSD
* FIX: afpd: sharing home folders corrupted the per volume umask.
* UPD: afpd: umask for home folders is no longer taken from startup umask.
* UPD: afpd: don't and permissions with parent folder when creating new
directories on "upriv" volumes.
* UPD: afpd: use 'afpserver@fqdn' instead of 'afpserver/fqdn@realm'.
Prevents a crash in older GNU GSSAPI libs on e.g. CentOS 5.x.
Changes in 2.1.1
* UPD: fallback to a temporary in memory tdb CNID database if the volume
database can't be opened now works with the default backend "dbd" too.
* FIX: afpd: afp_ldap.conf was missing from tarball. This only effected
* FIX: afpd: Check if options->server is set in set_signature, preventing
* FIX: afpd: server signature wasn't initialized in some cases
* FIX: DESTDIR support: DESTDIR was expanded twice
* FIX: Fix for compilation error if header files of an older Netatalk
version are installed.
Changes in 2.1-release
* NEW: afpd: new volume option "volsizelimit" for limitting reported volume
size. Useful for limitting TM backup size.
* UPD: dbd: -c option for rebuilding volumes which prevents the creation
of .AppleDouble stuff, only removes orphaned files.
Changes in 2.1-beta2
* NEW: afpd: static generated AFP signature stored in afp_signature.conf,
cf man 5 afp_signature.conf
* NEW: afpd: clustering support: new per volume option "cnidserver".
* UPD: afpd: set volume defaults options "upriv" and "usedots" in the
volume config file AppleVolumes.default. This will only affect
new installations, but not upgrades.
* FIX: afpd: prevent security attack guessing valid server accounts. afpd
now returns error -5023 for unknown users, as does AppleFileServer.
Changes in 2.1-beta1
* NEW: afpd: AFP 3.2 support
* NEW: afpd: Extended Attributes support using native attributes or
using files inside .AppleDouble directories.
* NEW: afpd: ACL support with ZFS
* NEW: cnid_metad: options -l and -f to configure logging
* NEW: IPv6 support
* NEW: AppleDouble compatible UNIX files utility suite `ad ...`.
With 2.1 only `ad ls`.
* NEW: CNID database maintanance utility dbd
* NEW: support BerkeleyDB upgrade. Starting with the next release
after 2.1 in case of BerkeleyDB library updates, Netatalk
will be able to upgrade the CNID databases.
* NEW: afpd: store and read CNIDs to/from AppleDouble files by default.
This is used as a cache and as a backup in case the database
is deleted or corrupted. It can be disabled with a new volume
* NEW: afpd: sending SIGINT to a child afpd process enables debug logging
* NEW: configure args to download and install a "private" Webmin instance
including only basic Webmin modules plus our netatalk.wbm.
* NEW: fallback to a temporary in memory tdb CNID database if the volume
database can't be opened.
* NEW: support for Unicode characters in the range above U+010000 using
internal surrogate pairs
* NEW: apple_dump: utility to dump AppleSingle and AppleDouble files
* NEW: afpldaptest: utility to check afp_ldap.conf.
* UPD: atalkd and papd are now disabled by default. AppleTalk is legacy.
* UPD: slp advertisement is now disabled by default. server option -slp
SRVLOC is legacy.
* UPD: cdb/dbd CNID backend requires BerkeleyDB >= 4.6
* UPD: afpd: default CNID backend is "dbd"
* UPD: afpd: try to install PAM config that pulls in system|common auth
* UPD: afpd: symlink handling: never followed server side, client resolves
them, so it's safe to use them now.
* UPD: afpd: Comment out all extension->type/creator mappings in
AppleVolumes.system. They're unmaintained, possibly wrong and
do not fit for OS X.
* FIX: rewritten logger
* FIX: afpd: UNIX permissions handling
* FIX: cnid_dbd: always use BerkeleyDB transactions
* FIX: initscripts installation now correctly uses autoconf paths,
i.e. they're installed to --sysconfdir.
* FIX: UTF-8 volume name length
* FIX: atalkd: workaround for broken Linux 2.6 AT kernel module:
Linux 2.6 sends broadcast queries to the first available socket
which is in our case the last configured one. atalkd now tries to
find the right one.
Note: now a misconfigured or plugged router can broadcast a wrong route !
* REM: afpd: removed CNID backends "db3", "hash" and "mtab"
* REM: cnid_maint: use dbd
* REM: cleanappledouble.pl: use dbd
* REM: nu: use `macusers` instead
Changes in 2.0.5
* NEW: afpd: Time Machine support with new volume option "tm".
* FIX: papd: Remove variable expansion for BSD printers. Fixes CVE-2008-5718.
* FIX: afpd: .AppleDxxx folders were user accessible if option 'usedots'
* FIX: afpd: vetoed files/dirs where still accessible
* FIX: afpd: cnid_resolve: don't return '..' as a valid name.
* FIX: uniconv: -d option wasn't working
Changes in 2.0.4
* REM: remove timeout
* NEW: afpd: DHX2 uams using GNU libgcrypt.
* NEW: afpd: volume options 'illegalseq', 'perm' and 'invisibledots'
'ilegalseq' encode illegal sequence in filename asis, ex "\217-", which is not
a valid SHIFT-JIS char, is encoded as U\217 -.
'perm' value OR with the client requested permissions. (help with OSX 10.5
Make dot files visible by default with 'usedots', use 'invisibledots'
for keeping the old behavior, i.e. for OS9 (OSX hide dot files on its
* NEW: afpd: volume options allow_hosts/denied hosts
* NEW: afpd: volume options dperm/fperm default directory and file
permissions or with server requests.
* NEW: afpd: afpd.conf, allow line continuation with \
* NEW: afpd: AppleVolumes.default allow line continuation with \
* NEW: afpd: Mac greek encoding.
* NEW: afpd: CJK encoding.
* UPD: afpd: Default UAMs: DHX + DHX2
* FIX: afpd: return the right error in createfile and copyfile if the disk
* FIX: afpd: resolveid return the same error code than OSX if it's a directory
* FIX: afpd: server name check, test for the whole loopback subnet
not only 127.0.0.1.
* UPD: afpd: limit comments size to 128 bytes, (workaround for Adobe CS2 bug).
* UPD: afpd: no more daemon icon.
* UPD: usedots, return an invalide name only for .Applexxx files used by netatalk not
all files starting with .apple.
* UPD: cnid: increase the number of cnid_dbd slots to 512.
* FIX: cnid: dbd detach the daemon from the control terminal.
* UPD: cnid: never ending Berkeley API changes...
* UPD: cnid: dbd add a timeout when reading data from afpd client.
* UPD: cnid: Don't wait five second after the first error when speaking to the dbd
* FIX: papd: vars use % not $
* FIX: papd: quote chars in popen variables expansion. security fix.
* FIX: papd: papd -d didn't write to stderr.
* FIX: papd: ps comments don't always use ()
* FIX: many compilation errors (solaris, AFS, Tru64, xfs quota...).
Changes in 2.0.3
* NEW: afpd: add a cachecnid option that controls if afpd should
use the IDs stored in the AD2 files as cache. Defaults
* UPD: afpd: deal with more than 32 groups.
* FIX: afpd: several catsearch fixes, based on patch from
* FIX: afpd: fix a race when a client very quickly reconnects and
tries to kill its old session.
* FIX: afpd: OSX style symlink caused problems with Panther clients.
* FIX: afpd: old files with default type didn't show the right icon
in finder, from Shlomi Yaakobovich, slightly modified.
* FIX: cnid_check: disable cnid_check if CNID db was configured with
transactions and really bail out after the first error.
* FIX: admin-group configure option was broken.
* FIX: several problems with IDs cached in AD2 files.
* FIX: Ignore BIDI in UTF8 hints from OSX.
* FIX: Lots of gcc warning fixes.
* FIX: small configure script changes.
Changes in 2.0.2
* NEW: cnid: Add an indexes check and rebuild, optional for dbd
(parameter check default no), standalone program cnid_index for
* UPD: Enhanced afpd's -v command line switch and added -V for more
* UPD: uams_gss: build the principal used by uams_gss.so from afpd's
configuration, don't use GSS_C_NT_HOSTBASED_SERVICE
* UPD: cnid_dbd: add process id in syslog and small clean up
* REM: remove netatalkshorternamelinks.pl cf. SF bug [ 1061396 ]
* FIX: afpd: check for DenyRead on FPCopyFile
* FIX: afpd: add missing flush for AD2 Metadata on FPCopyFile, SF bug
[ 1055691 ] Word 98 OS 9 Saving an existing file
* FIX: afpd: Deal with AFP3 connection and type 2 (non-UTF8) names.
reported by Gair Heaton, HI RESOLUTION SYSTEMS
* FIX: afpd: Broken 'crlf' option
* FIX: afpd: fix SF bug [ 1079622 ] afpd/dhx memory bug,
by Ralf Schuchardt
* FIX: afpd: Return an error if we cannot get the db stamp in
* FIX: afpd: Fix slp registration with Solaris9 slpd, from
hat at fa2.so-net.ne.jp
Changes in 2.0.1
* NEW: --enable-debian configure option. Will install /etc/init.d/atalk
to get not in conflict with standard debian /etc/init.d/netatalk.
Reads netatalk.conf from $ETCDIR and not from /etc/default/
* UPD: Disable logger code by default. Log to syslog instead
* UPD: changed netatalk.conf default settings to prevent problems with
AppleTalk zone names containing spaces
* FIX: insecure tempfile handling bug in etc2ps.sh,
found by Trustix, CAN-2004-0974.
* REM: remove add_netatalk_printer and netatalk.template from stable
branch until fixed. (possible symlink vulnerabilities)
* FIX: afpd: set hasBeenInited in default finder info. This bug caused
endless finder refreshes with OS9 finder if the noadouble option
was used. From TSUBAKIMOTO Hiroya.
* FIX: afpd: fix a bug in default CREATOR/TYPE handling. Due to this bug
the type/creator mappings in AppleVolumes.system were ignored,
causing problems i.e. with OS9 clients.
* FIX: AppleVolumes.system: By default don't define a CREATOR/TYPE for a
file of unknown type.
* FIX: fix two Tru64 UNIX compilation errors,
from Burkhard Schmidt bs AT cpfs.mpg.de
* FIX: afpd: FPMapId wasn't using UTF8 for groups if requested by client.
Changes in 2.0.0
* UPD: afpd: add an error message if -ipaddr parameter cannot be parsed
* UPD: updated documentation
* FIX: afpd: fix a file descriptor and memory leak with OSX ._ resource fork
* FIX: afpd: Prevent overwriting a file by renaming a file in the same
directory to the same name. Won't work with OSX, the dest file gets
deleted by OSX first.
* FIX: sometimes '0' was used instead of 0 for creator/type
* FIX: removed setpgrp check from configure, we don't use it anymore and
it doesn't work with cross compile.
* FIX: fix for Solaris "make maintainer-clean", from Alexander Barton
* FIX: fix username matching bug in afppasswd. from kanai at nadmin dot org
* FIX: reworked username check a little. Depending on the UAM, the wrong
username _could_ have been selected.
Changes in 2.0-rc2
* UPD: use 0 0 for default creator/type rather than UNIX TEXT, from
* UPD: updated documentation
* UPD: change machine type from Macintosh to Netatalk in status reply
* FIX: afpd: CopyFile only create a resource fork for destination if source
* FIX: afpd: mangling: for utf8 --> max filename length is 255 bytes, else 31.
* FIX: cnid_dbd: fix a signed/unsigned, 16/32 bits mismatch. from Burkhard
Schmidt, bs at cpfs.mpg.de.
* FIX: afpd: After ad_setid don't flush resource fork if it has not been
* FIX: NEWS: Fixed ancient NEWS entries. Removed umlauts
* FIX: fix macname cache, SF bug 1021642
* FIX: revert Makefile change from 2.0-rc1. We have to include BDB_CFLAGS
Changes in 2.0-rc1
* NEW: new manual page for asip-status.pl
* UPD: updated documentation
* UPD: uams: link uam_dhx_passwd.so to lcrypt before lcrypto. might help with
* UPD: Improved BerkeleyDB detection
* UPD: sys/solaris/Makefile.in: enable 'make check', from Alexander Barton
* UPD: tcp wrappers detection should work on OpenBSD as well now
* UPD: macbin: increase the maximum size of macbinary forks, as suggested by
Sourceforge bug ID 829221
* UPD: ASP: rework getstatus. use several ASP packets if the client allows
it, otherwise just send as much as we can
* FIX: FreeBSD 5 build, from Alex Barton (alex at barton.de)
* FIX: OSX 10.3 build
* FIX: papd: workaround a problem with PJL before Postscript
* FIX: afpd: make sure we only disconnect on old session if the users match
* FIX: apfd: Quark6 mangled long filenames should work better now
* FIX: enhance ADv1 to ADv2 conversion. Fixed a SIGSEGV reported by Mark Baker
* FIX: better detection of invalid resource forks
* FIX: fix some linking problems on OpenBSD
* FIX: afpd: catsearch.c, filedir.c: fix bogus casts, from Olaf Hering
(olh at suse.de)
* FIX: afpd: don't try to create special folders and .volinfo on read-only
* FIX: iconv/unicode enhancements. fixed a sigsegv on conversion error
* FIX: configure.in: fix a typo, reported by Joerg Rossdeutscher
* FIX: uniconv: enhanced uniconv behaviour
* FIX: fixed some Solaris compilation problems
* FIX: papd/Makefile.am: add a missing $DESTDIR, from Vlad Agranovsky
* FIX: afpd: quota.c: remove a c99 declaration, from Yann Rouillard
* FIX: configure.in: Solaris/gcc 3.0 fix, from Yann Rouillard
* FIX: afpd: fix a SIGSEGV when sharing home dirs without any options in
* FIX: numerous small bugfixes
Changes in 2.0-beta2
* NEW: atalkd, papd and npb tools now support nbpnames with extended
* NEW: integrated CUPS support for papd
* NEW: optionally advertise SSH tunneling capabilties
* NEW: automatic logfile removal for cnid_metad
* NEW: asip-status.pl has been added to netatalk
* UPD: updated documentation
* UPD: we now require Berkeley DB >= 4.1
* UPD: 64bit Linux fixes from Stew Benedict, Mandrakesoft
* UPD: remove --enable-sendfile
* UPD: more verbose error messages
* FIX: better handling for resource forks without read access
* FIX: Tru64 build, by Burkhard Schmidt
* FIX: MIT Kerberos detection
* FIX: varios *BSD compile problems
* FIX: compile problem with libiconv, reported by Joe Marcus Clarke
* FIX: adv1tov2: make it work with the new structure
* FIX: afpd: filenames longer than 127 bytes were not enumerated correctly,
reported by Thies C. Arntzen
* FIX: afpd: return IP before FQDN in status reply.
* FIX: afpd: Mac chooser could crash on a codepage conversion error
* FIX: afpd: KerberosV auth with Panther clients, make long AD tickets work,
reported by Andrew Smith
* FIX: atalkd: could send invalid NBPLKUP replies, e.g with more than 15
printers. Reported by Almacha
* FIX: papd: fix papd.conf parsing problems with consecutive ':' and missing
newline. Reported by Craig White.
* FIX: megatron: make megatron work with UTF-8 volumes
* FIX: timeout: running timeout with commands which accept arguments,
from Yuval Yeret.
* FIX: uniconv: fix a SEGFAULT, reported by Matthew Geier
* FIX: pam detection: PAM_C/LDFLAGS were always empty, from Alexander Barton
* FIX: numerous small bugfixes.
Changes in 2.0-beta1
* NEW: OSX style adouble scheme
* NEW: japanese SHIFT_JIS codepage (iconv supplied)
* NEW: Solaris kernel module build integrated with configure
* NEW: Gentoo start scripts
* NEW: cnid_dbd doesn't use transactions by default
* FIX: afpd: the volume casefold option was broken
* FIX: afpd: update AD2 headers and keep owner on file exchange
* FIX: Solaris 9 and FreeBSD 4.9/5.2 compilation
* FIX: free space reported with groups quotas on Linux
* FIX: OS9/OS X didn't update free space
* FIX: finder crash if folder opened got deleted by another process
* FIX: randnum UAM wasn't AFP3 ready
* FIX: numerous small bugfixes.
Changes in 2.0-alpha2
* NEW: uniconv tool for converting volume encoding.
* NEW: afpd: Make sure getstatus doesn't return loopback address as server IP.
* NEW: afpd: Specify USEDOTS with MSWINDOWS implicitely.
* NEW: afpd: SRVLOC register with IP address instead of hostname by default,
if -fqdn is specified register with FQDN. Added extended character
support for SLP, non ASCII characters are escaped Added ZONE to registration.
* NEW: atalkd: Make atalkd set interfaces to ALLMULTI on linux by default.
* NEW: cnid_metad: Use DB_PRIVATE attribute for dbd backend without transaction.
* FIX: afpd: Partial workaround for an OSX client deadlock.
* FIX: afpd: Reenumerate folder if db is out of sync in resolveID.
* FIX: afpd: Don't modify modification date in copyfile.
* FIX: afpd: Variable $v substitution: always use name defined in config files.
* FIX: libatalk: Speed optimisation for byte locking was broken on resource fork.
* FIX: Solaris 9 compilation.
* FIX: Tru64 compilation fixes.
* FIX: AFS compilation fixes.
* FIX: strncpy bugfix.
* FIX: configure, man pages update and small bugfixes.
Changes in 2.0-alpha1
* NEW: afpd: We now support AFP 3.x, which features long filenames and
large file support
* NEW: CNID handling completely reworked. We now use per Volume configurable
* NEW: Two new daemons, cnid_metad and cnid_dbd to implement the dbd CNID backend.
Using Berkeley DB transactions with the CNID database should be safe now.
* NEW: The on disk format of the CNID database has changed. We now support 8 byte
device and inode numbers and an additinal type field that should make
detection of file/directory changes outside of afpd more robust.
Changed from HASH to BTREE access which speeds things up in certain cases
and reduces database file size.
* NEW: Long file name mangling is now implemented using the CNID ID, so no database is
required to map names to mangled names. This is the same method Mac OS X uses.
* NEW: New format (version 2) for Metadata in AppleDouble files. We record device and
inode of the underlying file as well as the CNID. This can be used for recovery
and speeds up access to the CNID.
* NEW: The old NLS codepage system has been removed. It was replaced by an iconv
based conversion system, which provides much more flexibility.
* NEW: You can safely use extended characters in volume names and for SIGUSR2 messaging.
* NEW: The default volume encoding is UTF-8.
* NEW: All documentation is now generated using DocBook. New or completely reworked
sections about installing, setting up and upgrading Netatalk replace various
README files in the doc directory.
* FIX: Protect afpd better against unexpected signals during updates of the CNID
database with the cdb backend. This makes database corruption less likely.
* FIX: All manpages have been reviewed and should now be up to date.
* FIX: Tons of bug fixes since 1.6.4. Please consults the CVS change log for details.
Changes in 1.6.4
* NEW: afpd: Using the mswindows option now implicitly specifies usedots.
* UPD: afpd.8: Updated the option documentation.
[Thomas Kaiser, Sebastian Rittau]
* FIX: configure: Removed broken --with-flock-locks option. [Bjoern Fernhomberg]
* FIX: libatalk: Do not log network probe (OSX 10.3). [Didier Gautheron]
* FIX: libatalk: Deadlock in signal handlers. [Didier]
* FIX: libatalk: Compilation with Linux kernel 2.6 fixed. [Sebastian, Bjoern]
* FIX: afpd: Solaris compile issues. [Bjoern]
* FIX: afpd: If connection broke in dsi_tickle the child did never die. [Bjoern]
* FIX: afpd: Catsearch, fixes a possible segmentation fault. [Bjoern]
* FIX: afpd: Compilation issues. [Olaf Hering, Sebastian]
* FIX: cnid: Fix compile problems on Tru64. [Burkhard Schmidt]
* FIX: megatron: Fixed an uninitialized variable. [Olaf]
* FIX: installation: Don't overwrite PAM file if --enable-overwrite configure
option is not set. [Sam, Ryan Cleary]
* FIX: installation: Fixed BSD installation. [Toru TAKAMIZU]
* FIX: docs: Removed ssl-dir/ssl-dirs confusion from doc/INSTALL. [Bjoern]
Changes in 1.6.3
* UPD: afpd: Infrastructural support for an upcoming Kerberos 5 UAM.
* UPD: uams_dhx_passwd: Better random seed in Tru64. [Burkhard Schmidt]
* FIX: afpd: Bug in AFP connection negotiation stage. [Sam]
* FIX: afpd: Catsearch, when Mac and unix name differ, search on attributes.
* FIX: afpd: Files could be opened for writing on read-only filesystems.
* FIX: afpd: Debugging using SIGUSR1 was broken. [Stefan Muenkner]
* FIX: afpd: Segfault after login. [Robby Griffin, Sean Bolton]
* FIX: psf: Correct path to etc2ps.sh.
* FIX: shell_utils: Don't distribute generated files.
* FIX: aecho: -A option didn't work. [Chris Shiels]
* FIX: configure: Berkeley DB path detection could be wrong. [Stefan]
* FIX: Automake build fixes.
Changes in 1.6.2
* FIX: atalkd: Fixes for reading long configuration file lines. [Dan Wilga]
* FIX: afpd: CNID id allocation in a multiuser environment.
* FIX: papd: Fix PSSP support when PAM is enabled.
* FIX: macusers: Can now cope with IP addresses as well as host names.
* FIX: etc2ps.sh: Install correctly.
Changes in 1.6.1
* UPD: Improve --enable-fhs. [Olaf Hering]
* UPD: Add BDB 4.1.x support.
* UPD: Add more documentation on CNID, as well as list which versions
of Berkeley DB are supported.
* FIX: Codepage file maccode.koi8-r is now correctly cleaned.
* FIX: Fix init script location on SuSE. [Olaf]
* FIX: Build fixes. [Olaf, Steven N. Hirsch]
* FIX: Various bugs when a user doesn't have access permission to a folder.
(Fixes an OSX kernel panic.)
* FIX: CNID, folders' DID handling with concurrent access or symlinks.
(Fixes an endless loop in afpd.)
Changes in 1.6.0
* FIX: pap looks at the STDOUT file descriptor to see if it's connected to
a tty, instead of STDIN.
Changes in 1.6pre2
* UPD: Removed --with-catsearch option from configure and enable FPCatSearch
* UPD: The dbpath argument does now support variable substitution.
* FIX: Build fix for non-GNU-C compilers in libatalk/util/logger.c.
* FIX: Two directories with the same name but different case confused the
* FIX: The ROOT_PARENT directory could get invalidated.
Changes in 1.6pre1
* NEW: Long file name mangling support.
* NEW: Improved log file support.
* NEW: Server-side find capability ("FPCatSearch")
* NEW: Concurrent datastore (CDB) is now the default CNID datastore. This
should be heavily tested in a multiuser environment.
* NEW: Variable substitution support has been added for the dbpath AppleVolume
* UPD: CNID DID handling is now enabled by default.
* FIX: Various bug and build fixes as well as code cleanups.
Changes in 1.5.5
* NEW: Allow afpd debugging to be enabled by sending the afpd process
* NEW: Allow SLP to be disabled per afpd process by adding a new -noslp flag
* FIX: Use server name (if not NULL) for the SLP URL.
* FIX: papd: buffer overflow during config file read (Olaf Hering)
Changes in 1.5.4
* FIX: File open read only and then read write (aka pb with Illustrator).
* FIX: Problems with unexpected EOF when reading files on a ddp connection
Photoshop, old finder.
* FIX: --with-nls-dir option does now work
Changes in 1.5.3
* UPD: Extend the --disable-shell-check functionality to ignore users
with _no_ shell. Also, send a log message if a user is refused login
based on the fact that they have no shell.
* UPD: Autoconf updates.
* UPD: Tru64 afpd authentication updates.
* UPD: As always: lots of minor code cleanups.
* FIX: Problems with Photoshop trying to open image files has been
* FIX: Preserve special permission bits when creating or modifying
* FIX: afp_deleteid() now deletes the specified file and not the parent
* FIX: papd does now announce that it supports binary data to its clients.
* FIX: NetBSD ELF support.
* FIX: acleandir.rc is now installed in the bin directory.
* FIX: megatron does now compile even if compiled with -DDEBUG.
* FIX: Clean up some syslog messages.
Changes in 1.5.2
* NEW: NetBSD support contributed by David Rankin and NetBSD contributors.
This includes a new configure option --enable-netbsd.
* NEW: Add the -client_polling afpd.conf flag to allow for clients to poll
the server every 10 seconds for open window updates. Currently
this is the only way to get asynchronous directory updates.
* UPD: Use separate macro for AFS configure check.
* UPD: Some Perl scripts are now (partially) auto-generated. This improves
out-of-the-box usage of Netatalk.
* UPD: Solaris Kernel Makefile is now auto-generated. This fixes some path
issues, but isn't perfect, yet. Added some Solaris compatibility
fixes to the Kernel sources, too.
* UPD: CNID DB code sync'd with the current CVS version. NOTE: Using this
code requires you to delete _all_ existing .AppleDB directories in
order to avoid database corruption!
* FIX: The file AppleVolumes.system contained wrong line breaks so that
not all file types were properly recognized.
* FIX: AFS compilation would fail due to a misnamed variable.
* FIX: SLP configure check was wrong so SLP did not compile.
* FIX: Fix the way quotas are handled under certain situations.
* FIX: Do not enable debugging code if debugging option is not set.
* FIX: Some problems with wrongly assigned DIDs were fixed.
* FIX: Various bug fixes and code cleanups.
Changes in 1.5.1
* NEW: Added a program called cnid_didname_verify that can be used to
verify the consistency of the CNID database.
* NEW: New afpd option: -timeout. Warning: This still doesn't do what it's
* UPD: Code cleanups and compatibility fixes to macusers.
* UPD: AppleVolumes.system was cleaned up.
* FIX: Really fix Tru64 compilation (see last entry).
* FIX: Hand correct error value back to AFP client when deleting files or
* FIX: Leading or trailing spaces are now forbidden on volumes that have
the AFPVOL_MSWINDOWS flag set.
* FIX: Minor code cleanups and warning fixes.
* FIX: Make quota support work on FreeBSD.
Changes in 1.5.0
* FIX: Compilation on Tru64 systems was broken, since libtool's acinclude.m4
file on the packagers system did not contain the necessary patch.
* FIX: On some systems, atalkd refuses to start, since it couldn't detect
any interfaces. This was caused by an overzealous validity check.
Changes in 1.5rc2
* FIX: contrib/shell_utils/lp2pap.sh was erased when "make clean" was called.
Now we distribute lp2pap.sh.tmpl instead, and lp2pap.sh is automatically
generated during package build.
* FIX: Some platforms (notably Tru64) don't have the snprintf() call, which
was used in etc/afp/afp_config.c. This call was replaced by sprintf()
and prior bounds checking.
Changes from the 1.4b1 release:
* Fixed the maximum free/total volume size in afpd.
* Made ~ the default volume in afpd.
* Fixed pid file handling and changed setpgrp() to setpgid() in afpd,
papd, and atalkd.
* Added code to afpd to set the Unix file time stamps with utime().
* Fixed a bug in papd's printcap code which limited it to 15 or so
* Fixed papd's handling of piped printers.
* Fixed papd's handling of bad job names.
* Fixed atalkd to send NBP LKUP packets from NBP port.
* Added "sync;sync;sync" to Solaris kinstall to help with streams
* Added nlocalrts to streams ddp.conf. Thanks Thomas Tornblom.
* Fixed signed extension infinite loop in Solaris module.
* Moved all the config files to .../config.
Changes from the 1.3.3 release:
* Added code from Sun Microsystems, Inc (OPCOM) for Solaris support.
* Added support for FreeBSD, mostly changes by Mark Dawson and Julian
* All sorts of other stuff.
Changes from the 1.3.1 release:
* Added options to psf's filter names to support accounting on HPs.
!!! NOTE: The location of the filters has changed, see the man
page for where.
* Added code from Alan Cox to support Linux.
* Rewrote papd. Now handles dropped connections better.
Configuration has been modernized. !!! NOTE: The format of the
configuration file has changed, but NOT THE NAME.
* Added Kerberos support to papd.
* atalkd now removes routes on a SIGTERM. Still can't just restart
it, but it's closer.
* Changed atalkd and the kernel driver to remove a hack added to
support sending to 0.255. Now the kernel will allow multiple open
sockets with the same port, so long as the addess associated with
the port is different. atalkd now opens a socket for each port on
* atalkd now rewrites its configuration file. If no configuration
file is given, one will be generated. Permissions on the new
configuration file will be inherited from the old one. If there is
no old one, permissions default to 644. Won't rewrite the file if
the owner doesn't have write permission.
* Removed support for the "AFS Kerberos UAM", in favor of the
"AuthMan UAM". Kerberos support should now be much more
* Fixed a bug in afpd which would cause incorrect group calculations
on ultrix machines.
* Fixed a bug in afpd which causes SimpleText and some other
applications to silently fail to write. There's also a bug in
MacOS, but we can't fix that.
* Fixed a bad interaction with afpd and AFS which would cause file
writes to not propogate between AFS clients.
* !!! CHANGED the name(s) of afpd's config files. The new files are
AppleVolumes.system and AppleVolumes.default. If AppleVolumes.system
exists, it is always read, AppleVolumes.default is only read if the
user has no AppleVolumes file. Included a flag "-u" to indicate
which file has precedence. "-u" user wins, otherwise ".system"
* Rewrote the AppleVolumes parsing code. Now works.
* Added a filename extension mapping to afpd. User always takes
precedence, regardless of the "-u" flag. Code to change the type
of all Unix files contributed by Kee Hinckley <email@example.com>.
* afpd now supports both UFS and AFS volumes simultaneously. It also
uses access() to attempt to calculate reasonable Mac permissions
for AFS directories.
* Changed reporting of file times. Files that are written from Unix
now update the Mac's idea of the files modification time. Unix
mtime is now reported instead of ctime.
* Added support for a new UAM to afpd. This requires that client
Macs have MacTCP and AuthMan installed. Should make running afpd
for AFS easier.
* Removed code so that otherwise valid volumes for which the mounting
user has no permission will appear in the volume selection dialog
on the Mac gray-ed out.
* Added code from Chris Metcalf of MIT to the AppleDouble library
which improves permission inheritance.
* Added code from G. Paul Ziemba of Alantec, Inc to better report
errors in psf. Also changed psf to use syslog for errors that
users aren't interested in.
* Added information to psf's man page to better explain the
interaction between psf, pap, and lpd.
* Make psf/pap/psa do accounting when it's turnes on in
* Changed pap's error message when there is no printer specified on
the command line and no .paprc is found. Also heavily modified
pap's man page to reflect changes in the "new" version of pap,
including moving it from section 8 to section 1.
* Fixed a byte-order bug in pap's sequence numbers. Doubt if pap has
ever worked right on little endian machines!
* Added a flag to pap to optionally close before receiving EOF from
the printer. Off by default. psf calls pap with this option on.
* Added timeouts to the nbp library calls. This means that processes
won't hang when atalkd dies during boot, thus hanging your
Changes from the 1.3 release:
* Fixed a bug in afpd which would cause APPL mappings to contain both
mac and unix path names. The fixed code will handle the old
* Fixed a *very* serious bug which would cause files to be corrupted
when copying to afpd.
* Fixed a bug in afpd which would cause replies to icon writes to
contain the written icon.
* Filled in the function code switch in afpd. Previously, a hacker
could probably have used afpd to get unauthorized access to a
machine running afpd.
* Fixed a bug in the asp portion of libatalk.a which could cause the
malloc()/free() database to be corrupted.
* Fixed a bug in atalkd's zip query code. With this bug, only the
first N % 255 nets get queried. However, since nets bigger than
255 are usually pretty unstable, the unqueried for nets will
eventually get done, when N drops by one.
* Suppressed a spurious error ("route: No such process") in atalkd.
Changes from the 1.2.1 release:
* atalkd is completely rewritten for phase 2 support. atalkd.conf
from previous version will not work!
* afpd now has better AFS support. In particular, the configuration
for AFS was made much easier; a number of Kerberos-related
byte-ordering and time problems were found; clear-text passwords
were added (thanks to firstname.lastname@example.org).
* afpd now handles Unix permissions much better (thanks to
* There are many, many more changes, but most are small bug fixes.
Changes from the 1.2 release:
* The Sun support now uses loadable kernel modules (a la VDDRV)
instead of binary patches. As such, it should work on any sunos
greater than 4.1, and is confirmed to work under 4.1.1 and 4.1.2.
* The DEC support no longer requires source. It also runs under
ultrix 4.1 and 4.2. It still requires patching your kernel, but the
patches are limited to those files available to binary-only sites
-- primarily hooks for things like netatalk.
* The etc.rc script now uses changes made to nbprgstr (see below).
* aecho now takes machine names on the command line.
* nbplkup now takes a command line argument specifying the number of
responses to accept. It also takes its defaults from the NBPLKUP
* nbprgstr may be used to register a name at any requested port.
* afpd now logs if an illegal shell is used during login, instead of
silently denying service.
* A bug in afpd which caused position information for the directory
children of the root of a volume to be ignored has been fixed.
* Several typos in afpd which would cause include files necessary to
ultrix to be skipped have been fixed.
* atalkd will no long propagate routes to networks whose zone
it doesn't know.
* atalkd no longer dumps core if it receives a ZIP GetMyZone request
from a network whose zone it doesn't know. (Since this currently
can only happen from off net, it's not precisely a legal request.)
* pap and papd (optionally) no longer check the connection id in PAP
DATA responses. Both also maintain the function code in non-first-packet
PAP DATA responses. These changes are work-arounds to deal with
certain AppleTalk printer cards, notably the BridgePort LocalTalk
card for HP LJIIISIs.
* pap no longer sends an EOF response to each PAP SENDDATA request,
only the first.
* A bug in papd which would cause it to return a random value when
printing the procset to a piped printer has been fixed.
* A bug relating to NBP on reverse-endian machines has been fixed.
* atp_rsel() from libatalk now returns a correct value even if it
hasn't recieved anything yet.
* atalk_addr() from libatalk no longer accepts addresses in octal
format, since AppleTalk addresses can have leading zeros. Also it
checks that the separator character is a '.'.
* Pseudo man pages for nbplkup, nbprgstr, and nbpunrgstr, have been
* The example in the psf(8) man page is now correct.
* The man pages for changed commands have been updated.
* The README files for various machine have been updated