-after having a full nodelist in A* the server is getting slow
- no idea how to solve this, have to leave it open I guess...
-create a new netpanzer-music package which adds pronobozos music to the game
-shorten time netpanzer is trying to access the masterserver
-compile SDL_mixer on windows with mp3 and ogg support
-make sure flag resolution works correctly (2 players with same flags). Someone
reported that after someone else joined he could only build panzers with
different flags, while his old tanks stayed the same.
-you get wrong capture messages when capturing an outpost that belonged to a
player that just left the game.
* I had an offer from http://forgottenhope.bf1942files.com/main.html people to
share/use their models and sounds in a freeware like license (ie. copyright
stays with them, modifications only allowed with their permissions, but free
to distribute and download).
Would be very interesting to use this, but we should update netpanzer to
truecolor graphics first, and we need to look more in detail how to properly
separate the GPL game engine and this graphics then.
*** New Masterserver code
* Create UDP broadcast code for LAN games
* Analyse if TCP was really a good choice. Question:
- what happens if a client can't keep up with the bandwith, will it stall
* An UDP protocol would need to be designed (taking a look at TNL or raknet
would also be a good idea)
*** Server related
* refactor bot code, so that it is possible to directly spawn bots at the
server, after that we could easily add a "Skirmish" button to the main menu.
* let dedicated server output statistics on console or in some log files.
Also all message should be outputted with timestamps.
So that you can generate nice html pages with statistics of the players :)
* the Server has a massive memory leak somewhere - might be fixed now
* impelement 'initialunits' param in PlayerUnitConfig::initialize()
* synchronize resources between server and clients, both should have same flags
collection and map. Let them automatically download these things.
* server console doesn't react really way with all the messages of players
* Use gettext (or tinygettext from supertux) and translate netpanzer
* Add special chars to functions displaying text that allow to set text
color/style. (^ like in quake based games?)
* Convert the 256 color stuff to truecolor, usage of opengl is probably a good
* bots should have different names and different flags - partly implemented
* make it possible to have different colors for different players - DONE
* display alliances in the status screens.
* think about setting unit spawnpoint/opening outpost view. It's very hard to
select units standing in your base because of the other 2 functions.
* tool for changing the (server?) configuration
*** Feature Additions
* Display tip of the day while loading the map.
* Improve userinterface:
* Make usual shortcuts (known from other RTSes) work:
-CTRL+Number for defining groups - done
-pressing a number twice to center screen on the group - done
-Scroll map with right mouse - done
-scrolling map with cursor keys
-Space jumps to last action - done
-a key to cycle through all (offline) outposts
-add possibilty for setting waypoints (ALT+leftclick?)
-add possibility to set markers for allies
-double clicking on a unit marks all units of the same type on screen
(tripple clicking marks all units of this type on the map?)
-"subclassing" like in WC3: A key that cycles though different unit types in
the currently selected group.
- S key stops tanks
* Display targets of marked panzers with lines (ie. a green line if the panzer
is moving, a red line if it is attacking some point)
* Create a nice static! skin which is at the bottom of the screen
and combines a map, statusdisplay of selected units and outpost buildmenu
* Redesign menus and UI code (use new font code, sfont or freefont maybe?)
* Create possibilities to save and play replays of the matches
* Create possibility to save and restore matches
* Convert the 256 color stuff to truecolor and eventually use opengl for
* add an in-game console like in quake-like games
* pulsing circle on the radar at places where battle happens (bigger circle if
/ Note that these are just random ideas. We should be very careful when
/ tuning the gameplay. 1 of the strengths of netpanzer is that it is simple
/ to understand and play. We should try hard not to destroy this by adding
/ too many options.
* adjust points for killings tanks based, on their type. Killing a spahpanzer
should get fewer points than killing a Titan.
* Add a mode where nothing is produced (maps without outposts). Players can
select some tanks based on a points system and can then fight with this fixed
amount of tanks
* Add different types of outposts. (only selected types of panzers,
possibility to repair units at helipad, ...)
* Add possibilities to repair units (helipad at outpost or repair tank)
* Add fog of war (eventually with special things like radar jammers
or radar tanks?)
* add infantry? anti-tank style ones, and anti-infantry ones?
* different terrain types (some terrain where you can move slower) maybe also
with a heightmap.
* more map elements? bridges that can be destroyed (and repaired?)
* a unit that can deploy mines
* special game modes and objectives? capture the flag or "escort a VIP", or
defend an objective would be things that come to mind
* make panzers always hit their targets instead of missing moving units?