nodau is a simple console based note taking program, it allows you to
easily create, edit, and view notes, and search them by name or date
nodau requires glibc, ncurses, openssl, and sqlite3. It may work with
other C libraries, but this has not been tested.
If you're reading this then you've already unpacked the tarball,
so it's the usual 3 steps:
1) cd /path/to/nodau
3) su -c "make install"
just cd to the nodau directory and run "make uninstall"
nodau <option> [data]
help print this message
list [search] list notes, accepts optional search term
new <name> create new note, name must be unique
encrypt <name> encrypt a new or existing note
decrypt <name> decrypt an encrypted note
edit <name> open an existing note for editing
append <name> when piping data from stdin, append to an existing note
show <name> display an existing note
del <search> delete a note/notes, accepts name or search term
The nodau config file is located at $XDG_CONFIG_HOME/nodau/nodau.conf
which is typically ~/.config/nodau/nodau.conf
The following config settings are currently in use:
external_editor name of a text editor executable (vim,nano,etc)
force_builtin_editor true or false
import_old_db true or false
If import_old_db value is true or not set, nodau will import notes from
the 0.2.x database to the 0.3.x database.
search terms with spaces do not need to be inside "quotes"
<name> name of a note, list will search for names similar to
the term, del will delete only an exact match
t@<datestring> matches notes created at a given date/time
t-<datestring> matches notes created before a given date/time
t+<datestring> matches notes created after a given date/time
datestring can be made of any typical date format such as:
dd, mm, yyyy hh:mm
the current editor accepts standard printable characters, enter,
and backspace. There is no support for moving the cursor with the
arrow keys or mouse. To exit the editor and save the note, create
a new line with only a dot (.) on it, or press escape.
nodau is licensed under the GPLv3, there's a copy of it in LICENSE
Take note of the special exception given, for linking nodau's GPL
licensed code with the OpenSSL library:
* In addition, as a special exception, the copyright holder (Lisa Milne)
* gives permission to link the code of this release of nodau with the
* OpenSSL project's "OpenSSL" library (or with modified versions of it
* that use the same license as the "OpenSSL" library), and distribute
* the linked executables. You must obey the GNU General Public License
* in all respects for all of the code used other than "OpenSSL". If you
* modify this file, you may extend this exception to your version of the
* file, but you are not obligated to do so. If you do not wish to do so,
* delete this exception statement from your version.
I might do more to it, if so I'll let everyone know through
If you make any changes, let me know: lisa <at> ltmnet.com