here are the steps to buid ODE:
(0) if you're using Microsoft's Visual C++ compiler, you have the option
of using the workspace and project files in the VC6 subdirectory,
or you can follow the instructions below.
(1) get the GNU 'make' tool. many unix platforms come with this, although
sometimes it is called 'gmake'. a version of GNU make for windows
is available at: http://q12.org/ode/bin/make.exe
(2) edit the settings in the file config/user-settings. the list of supported
platforms is given in that file.
(3) run 'make' to configure and build ODE and the graphical test programs.
to build parts of ODE the make targets are:
make configure create configuration file include/ode/config.h
make ode-lib build the core ODE library
make drawstuff-lib build the OpenGL-based graphics library
make ode-test build some ODE tests (they need drawstuff)
make drawstuff-test build a test app for the drawstuff library
all of these targets will do an implicit 'make configure'. if the
configurator screws up then you can edit the settings directly in
(4) to install the ODE library onto your system you should copy the 'lib' and
'include' directories to a suitable place, e.g. on unix:
include/ode --> /usr/local/include/ode
lib/libode.a --> /usr/local/lib/libode.a