NOTE, THIS DOCUMENT IS OUTDATED.
THE PROCEDURE UNFORTUNATELY DOES NOT WORK AS DESCRIBED ANYMORE,
THIS FILE IS PROVIDED IN A GOOD HOPE TO GIVE HINTS HOW TO INSTALL P4VASP ON OSX.
PLEASE LET US KNOW IF YOU FIND A WAY HOW TO INSTALL ON OSX.
Thanks to Dr. Daniel Knapp, here is a method to install p4vasp in MacOS:
(Tested on Mac OS 10.4.5, all updates installed.)
0) You will need X11 and all of the developer tools for OS X installed which
are included on your Tiger install discs but which are NOT installed by default.
1) Download and install FLTK (http://www.fltk.org, tested with v1.1.7):
Simply download the tar.gz file and run make; make install. This will put a
working version of FLTK in /usr on my Mac.
(To be sure, try out the test programs.)
2) Download and install the DarwinPorts (http://darwinports.opendarwin.org)
This is a unix software installation program for the Mac. (DarwinPorts seems to be a bit
more up to date than Fink, but I did need to install the following in a particular
order in order for python to recognize all of the modules.)
3) Use DarwinPorts to install gtk2 and glade libraries:
sudo port install gtk2 libglade2
4) Used DarwinPorts to install py-gtk and python:
sudo port install py-gtk2
(Note that python2.4 will be installed along with py-gtk2)
5) Copy the Makefile.MacOS to Makefile in the p4vasp root directory and in the src
cp Makefile.MacOS Makefile
cp src/Makefile.MacOS src/Makefile
6) Run make and install:
make; make install
7) Now p4v.py can then be run from any x-terminal (eg. xterm).