******** todo ********
* Don't use sanei functions that are also defined in sane-backends
* xscanimage: Gamma table seems to ignore maximum value. E.g. for
an 8-bit (0-255) gamma table, the last entry may be set to 256 when
setting the gamm value.
* add new frontends (?)
* xcam: support depths > 8 bits/channel
* xcam: add dithering and support for SANE depths other than 8 bit (test
with Mustek backend, for example)
* xcam: add recording feature (e.g., GIF, JPG, or MPEG)
* For 3-pass scanners, xscanimage doesn't update the scan progress
bar properly between scans; the scanner seems to be faster than
xscanimage can write to disk (problem: seek for every byte). This
doesn't happen as GIMP-plugin. It doesn't happen in blocking mode
* Add a check in the frontends if the backend delivers more data than
it announced by sane_get_parameters to avoid segfaults with bad
* Add/improve debug output for xscanimage and xcam.
******** done ********
* Test frontends on different os/platforms, fix possible compilation
* add new frontends (?)
- scanadf, http://www.martoneconsulting.com/sane-scanadf.html
* add possibility to use external filters to xscanimage/xsane (-->xsane)
* xscanimage: scanning of images whose heights is not known a priori is not
supported yet; this is going to be important for handheld scanners. At
least the frontend shouldn't crash or produce invalid pnm files when
it gets a length of -1. (fixed size output and print an error when
hand-scanner mode is requested. If this feature is really needed, put
it into xsane).
* xcam: provide access to option doc strings.(seems to be added long
time ago but TODO list entry was forgotten).
* xscanimage: support depths > 8 bits/channel (--> xsane)
* xscanimage: provide both scale and textentry for ranges (make new widget)
* Adapt xscanimage to new GIMP API. Try to make it backwards compatible
with old GIMP versions if possible. Maybe two source/header files
for compatibility with old API?
* Add support for SANE_DEFAULT_DEVICE to xcam/xscanimage. Show the list
of devices with the SANE_DEFAULT_DEVICE preselected.
* use g_free for memory allocated by g_new.
* check configure.in/aclocal.m4: Compilation/link test for SANE doesn't
* xscanimage doesn't exit when the window close button is pressed in the
"select device" window.
* configure --without-x doesn't work
* xscanimage prints warning if compiled with GIMP supports but run
standalone (at least with GIMP 1.1.29)
* stiff.c: Tiff header not written correctly: "Jaeger, Gerhard"
<firstname.lastname@example.org> writes: When writing the TIFF header, you have to
specify the TAG "BitsPerSample", which tells a reader how many bits each
sample has. The current version only specifies one value (8 or 16). This
is wrong, as we have to specify one value for each channel (i.e for a
24bit RGB pic we must specify 8,8,8, see TIFF6.0 spec, [...]
---> stiff.* files were removed from frontend package
* xcam: if the user quits xcam by the window manager, the process isn't
killed, only the window is closed
* Remove frontends (at least xscanimage/xcam) from distribution. Create
new package for frontends.