Endgame: Singularity Changelog
v0.30b (release 2010.07.28):
- --nosound properly ignores the sound system.(emh, Cyclotron / Daryl for bug
- Better appearance when no items will fit in the slot. (emh)
- Knowledge screen is refreshed properly when loading a game. (emh)
v0.30a (release 2010.02.06):
- Time Capsule English text no longer assumes the Antarctic. (Phil Bordelon,
Avaera8820 for bug report)
- Game pauses when random events occur. (Phil Bordelon, captainsegfault for
bug report, justapawn for initial implementation)
- Savefiles are now in sorted order instead of an arbitrary arrangement.
- Additional corrections to de_DE translation. (Christian Gerloff,
- Really make the Projects do something. (Phil, WvWisokee for bug report)
- "news" and "media" are only synonyms to humans. (FM, captainsegfault for bug
- Support the Delete and Keypad Enter keys properly. (Phil, Yoshi for bug
- Stopped building additional CPUs from refunding the money previously paid.
(FM, Yoshi for bug report)
- Location name fix. (Phil, pederick for bug report)
- Fix a crash with handling scrollbars. (Phil, netantho for bug report)
- Fix a bug where the finance report wouldn't always display. (Raymond
- Updated (but not fully complete) es_AR translation. (Guga)
* New it_IT translation. (Daniele Sapino)
- Fixed a bug where building 0 CPUs made the game crash whenever time was
unpaused. (FM, don.ridge for bug report)
- Font sizing has been improved. Most dialogs should no longer appear
"bloated". (FM, Gastón Alonso for bug report)
v0.30 (release 2009.01.26):
[Note that this release explicitly removes support for all savefile formats
* Complete rewrite of the graphics system, shiny new widgets and dialogs.
Arbitrary resolutions now supported. (FM)
- Fix to de_DE intro text. (booiiing)
* Individual bases no longer have their own tasks, only a power state.
The research dialog has been substantially improved to compensate. (FM)
* When building or researching, CPU, cash, and labor (time) must be spent in
approximately equivalent amounts. (FM)
* The AI has learned to estimate how quickly its bases are detected. (FM)
- The AI pays no attention to the humans until they notice his actions. (FM)
- Color-coding has been added to the AI's global estimates. (FM)
- Winning the game has become more permanent. (FM)
- Events no longer happen when they're meaningless. (FM)
* The AI has discovered a network of light sensors around the globe. You can
now see day and night on the map. (dvrasp, FM, Anne M. Archibald)
* Added support for running the game on an OLPC XO-1. (FM)
* fr_FR translation (Philippe Grenard)
- Make two Projects that didn't do anything before actually do something.
(Phil, FM for bug report)
* Reduced the number of savefile formats supported, but make attempts to load
bad saves less problematic. (Phil)
- Removed a redundant tech requirement. (Phil, Xombie for bug report)
- Major efficiency improvements. (FM)
- New utility, make-tree.py. Uses graphviz to create a visualization of the
tech tree. (aes, FM)
v0.28a (release 2008.05.12):
* Three new win/loss tracks for the game, including the Psycle source! (Max
- Error logs are handled more sanely on *NIX systems. (Phil, kaol and FM for
- Replaced Bitstream Vera Sans with DejaVu Sans to facilitate future
- Localization fix for locales with non-ASCII number formats. (FM,
Henrik Phil for bug report)
v0.28 (release 2008.05.11):
- Minor text cleanups. (Phil, FM; Cory Hickey and gglouser for some fixes)
- Minor dialog behavior fixes. (FM)
* New non-research task: CPU Pool. Performs maintenance, construction, jobs.
Bases with no other task assigned will contribute to the CPU Pool. (FM)
* New non-research task: Sleep. Bases assigned to Sleep will remain idle and
be harder to detect. Note that even a computer can't sleep through
- The CHANGE buttons inside the base dialog now show their hotkeys. (FM)
- The location buttons have had their on-screen positions tweaked. (FM)
- Start location is randomized to any of the 5 available continents. (FM)
* CPU is now used to design constructions, Cash to buy the required items, and
Labor (time) to assemble the final construction. (FM)
- Location and city names can now be localized. (FM)
- Numbers automatically localize to the correct comma-vs-period usage. (FM)
* Added a new difficulty level: Ultra Hard. (FM, emh for suggestion)
* Build times are now difficulty-dependent. (FM)
* The grace period applied to a new base is now difficulty-dependent. (FM)
* The suspicion gain per discovery is now difficulty-dependent. (FM)
- Bases in a location are now sorted by size, then name. (FM, emh for
* The global grace period now expires on Normal and above if you build more
than a certain number of bases, and on Ultra Hard if you build certain types
of bases. (FM)
- Locations with recently-discovered bases are now more likely to have other
bases discovered. (FM)
* Base detection chances and overall suspicion are now unknown until certain
new technologies have been researched. (Phil)
...except on low difficulty. (FM)
* Incomplete bases no longer support the AI. (FM)
- It's possible to get lucky when hacking some random computer. (FM)
* Seconds, minutes, and hours now matter much more than they used to. (FM)
- Major events cause the game to pause, instead of going to real-time. (FM)
- You can use the Enter on the numeric keypad like the regular Enter key.
(Phil, gare for suggestion)
* Continents are no longer identical. (FM, Phil for suggestion)
* New continent: Australia. Ocean moved to make room. (FM)
* E:S now has an intro when you start a new game! (FM)
- New item: Warning Signs. Useful for keeping out curious people. (FM)
- CPU display on Finance screen centered (Jorge Vargas)
- Time capsules can now be built anywhere sufficiently remote, with varying
degrees of stealth. (FM, emh for suggestion)
- Internet Traffic Manipulation and Hypnosis Field techs have been rebalanced to
better reflect their effects. (FM)
* de_DE translation (FM, Thomas for native proofing [still in progress])
* sv_SE translation (Anders Andersson)
- Massive (~50%) code changes, to improve clarity and reduce duplication. (FM)
- "safety" module should trap most crash bugs and show the pause menu, allowing
the user to save or attempt to resume play; the errors are written to a log
for easy submission to the developers. (FM)
- New utility: reorder.py Workaround for traduko's current order-scrambling
behavior. Use with caution. (FM)
- Various code formatting fixes, refactor of part of the technology(/event)
result system. (Jorge Vargas)
- setup.py updated to support mac .app building and cut filesize of the windows
.exe by about half. (FM)
v0.27 (release 2008.04.17):
- Display the actual discovery percentage when preparing to build a base.
- Minor text cleanups. (Phil)
* Support events that can happen throughout the course of the game, changing
things in interesting ways. (Brian, Phil)
* A number of new items and technologies to ease gameplay. (Brian, tweaks
by Phil and emh)
- Building new machines informs you how much CPU capacity you will receive
from the new systems. (Brian, Phil for suggestion)
- Idle bases are harder to discover. (Brian)
- Allow keys to be repeated when held down. (Brian, emh for suggestion)
- Fix the constant "CPU complete" dialogs when low on money. (Brian, numerous
people for suggestion)
- Added research item for construction. Still needs actual implementation.
Weird time code is blocking. (Brian, ? for suggestion)
- Return to base menu when exiting base screens rather than returning to map.
(Brian, emh and Max McCracken for suggestion)
- Implemented Security and Reactor values obtained from data files. (Brian)
- Implemented "Destroy" feature from base list (Brian, Max McCracken and emh
- When building, items are sorted by their cost to make picking the best one
easier. (Phil, Gustav Bertram for suggestion)
- Keep the game from crashing when it cannot create a 'music/' directory.
(Phil, Andrew McMillan for report)
- Added checks to avoid key error crashes related to unfinished Construction
- Added check to avoid crash when hitting 'Destroy' button in an empty base
- Preferences have moved to 'prefs.dat', and now follow the standard Python
ConfigParser format. (Phil)
- Increased robustness across the board; E:S should be harder to crash.
- Various strings shortened to fit dialogs. (Phil, Joey Hess for suggestion)
- Fixed bug that kept music from playing. (Phil, Brian Warner for suggestion)
- Keep running if the mixer can't load. (Phil, Rafal Czlonka for bug report)
- Fix up the handling of music paths. (Phil)
- Added support for win and losegame music. (emh)
* Three new tracks, 'Deprecation', 'Awakening,' and 'Inevitable,' including
the Psycle source! (Max McCracken)
- Research screen will no longer assign an extra base to research. (emh,
blog... for report)
- When naming base, text will take up the entire box. (emh, blog... for report)
- Fixed a potential crash with display_base_list self-recursing. (Phil,
Josh Triplett for report)
- Code cleanups and reformatting. (Phil)
- Cleanup a bug introduced in player.py, item may be int rather than object.
- The music loading code is less fragile now; it shouldn't break on too-short
file names. (Phil)
- Massive changes to data file handling; we now use Python's built-in
- Further changes to the data file formats, for consistency and ease of
code/data maintenance. (Phil)
- Switched sounds to using data files, for smoother future expansion. (Phil)
- Fixed strings loading. (Phil)
v0.26a (released 2007.08.12):
- Made Very Easy mode actually playable. (Phil, Simon Goodall for bug
v0.26 (released 2007.08.09):
[Note that the official Endgame: Singularity soundtrack is released
separately from the game. It can be found at the official website:
In addition, user-added tracks are also supported. See the README
- Added CPU indicator to the main screen. (emh, John DiMarco for suggestion)
- Research screen will now automatically prune bases. (emh, John DiMarco
- Fixed slight flicker when toggling options. (emh)
* Added difficulty selection. (emh, many people for suggestion)
* Added simple background music playing ability. (emh, Matthew Robinson for
- Single-CPU bases have CPU power listed. (emh, robaal for suggestion)
* Delicious retro-futuristic music specially made for Endgame: Singularity,
including the Psycle source for the tracks! (Max McCracken)
- License change of the various data that the developers control to BY-SA
3.0 (from BY-SA 2.5). (Phil, emh)
- License change of the Acknowledge font to 'free to use for any purpose;'
thanks so much, Brian Kent! (Phil, Brian Kent)
- Changed data-loading code to use UTF. (biro.daniel for patch)
v0.25 (released 2006.08.10):
* There is now a py2exe version available for Windows, which does not
require installation of any other software. (emh)
- Default language changeable via option screen. (emh)
- Finance screen shows CPU usage now. (emh, multiple people for suggestion)
- Options screen can be accessed after game start. (emh)
- Changing the language from the option screen works now. (emh)
- New item/techs. (emh, editing by Phil)
- Add up free CPU properly, for use in maintenance. (emh, bugreport by Simon Goodall)
- Change starting bases/cash. (emh)
- Save directory will be created in the right place now. (emh)
- True cost of constructing CPU items is now displayed. (emh)
- Future cost of techs displayed properly when multiple bases are working. (emh)
- Deleted some extraneous images and optimized some others. (Phil)
- Cleaned up formatting in g.py. (emh)
v0.24 (released 2006.07.13):
- The Page Up, Page Down, Home, and End keys work in all listboxes. (emh)
- Modified money displays to keep them from overflowing. (Phil)
* Suspicion loss is now quadratic; different groups "forget" quicker.
(Phil, Ticho for the suggestion)
* There are now restrictions on the building of items. (emh)
- Fixed a couple scrollbars that weren't working right. (emh)
- Spruced up text. (Phil)
- Fixed a bug with the item cost display. (Phil)
- Fixed a bug when running in NetBSD. (emh, reported by Reno Reckling)
* More items/techs. (emh)
* Bases can now be lost due to disrepair. (emh)
* Added ability to examine items and techs. (emh)
- Added in-game "help" in the form of information on various concepts.
(emh, tweaks by Phil)
* Added preference system. (emh)
- Updated es_AR translation. (Borg[MDQ])
v0.23a (released 2006.03.08):
* Save/load works on Windows again. (emh, rspoerri for bug report)
- Updated option help (emh)
v0.23 (released 2006.03.06):
- Fixed bug that allowed access to uncompleted bases. (emh, Borg[MDQ] for
* Added ability to destroy bases. (emh, multiple people for suggestion)
* Reduced (real-world) processor usage. (emh, anonymous for suggestion)
- Moved savefile location to ~/.endgame/saves (emh, Nescius for patch)
* Added finance screen. (emh, many for suggestion)
- Construction time bonus actually works now. (emh)
- More numbers use commas now. (emh)
- Increased cost of clusters. (emh)
- Adjusted button positions for greater usability. (Phil)
- Minor typo fixes and tightened grammar. (Phil)
* Further massive reduction in processor usage using new Clock class. (Phil,
Adam Bark for original patch)
- Can destroy bases under construction. (emh, Tim Freeman for suggestion)
- Bases under construction are no longer protected indefinitely from being
discovered. (emh, Tim Freeman for noting problem)
- Automatically bump machines working jobs to new job levels when they are
researched. (emh, Phil for suggestion :)
- Tweak Suspicion and Detection displays for readability. (Phil)
- Move around the various displays on the base screen for parity with the map
- Display the name of the base at the top of the base screen. (Phil,
Ticho for suggestion)
- Reduce discovery chance to 0% after the game is won. (Phil, Szabó Roland for
- Properly localize win screen. (Phil)
* Right-click will exit from all menus. (emh, mandos for suggestion)
- Warn players when research selected on the Research screen will not use all
available CPU. (Phil, mandos for suggestion)
- Note bases that are under construction in the base list. (emh, Ticho for
- Display the right construction time for items when you have technologies
that speed up construction. (emh)
- Items will no longer give benefits while under construction. (emh)
- Centralized some of the button code. (emh)
- Tightened up the save/load functions to allow for better save compatibility.
- Add_commas works better with negative numbers. (emh)
- Minor code cleanups. (Phil)
- Convert Evil Tabs in source to (4) spaces. Code should be easier to read and
edit now. (emh)
- Changed savefile signature string to be less release-version based, now that
the format is churning a lot less. (Phil)
- Fix clock code to handle "didn't run fast enough" properly. (Phil, mandos
- Fix clock code to actually return the time spent running; this allows us to
change all clock usage to the new, uses-almost-no-CPU clock code. (Phil)
v0.22 (released 2005.10.05):
[To read about the save file compatibility policy, please see README.txt.]
NOTE: Save files from versions 0.21 and above should work. Save files from
versions 0.20 and before will not work.
- At the start, money gains a minimal amount of interest (as opposed to none).
- Make the 'change research' button more obvious. (Phil)
- Change the way that technologies/items are stored. There is now a separate text
file detailing the technology tree, and another with all of the text
strings. This will allow localization of the technologies. (emh)
- When technologies are completed, we can now display a string detailing the
- Complete rewrite of technology descriptions, better matching the new names.
- Minor cleanup of base descriptions. (Phil)
- New default font (Bitstream Vera Sans), especially useful for systems that
don't have a default Pygame font for some reason (emh; reported by Brian
- Hotkeys for the various speed settings (1-4). (emh)
- Call the 'per day' code for however many days is necessary since the last
- Change the grace period for bases to start when construction is complete.
- Keys can repeat/mouse can be used when in textboxes. (emh, Phil)
- Reduce discovery chances for most agencies for most bases. (Phil)
- Added a new cheat. (Phil)
- Fixed tech studying when money is needed. (emh)
- Added next/prev base buttons. (emh, Borg[MDQ] for suggestion)
- es_AR translation (our first!) (Borg[MDQ], very minor fixups by Phil)
- Moved more things into data files. (emh)
- Flavored names and numbers for the bases. (idea by heatsink, implementation
by emh and Phil)
- Translation-related crash fix. (emh)
- Global Research Screen; allows changing research for all bases. (emh, very
minor fixups by Phil)
- Items give dialog upon completion. (emh; Jens Becker for suggestion)
- Expanded a few listboxes in order to fit the larger base names/techs. (emh)
- Various and sundry bugfixes across old and new code. (emh, Phil)
v0.21a (released 2005.09.19):
- Added '.sav' extension to new save files. Old ones will still load, but
they will save with a .sav extension, and the old save will not be used
any more. (Phil)
- Fixed loading 0.20 saves with technologies currently being researched. (emh)
v0.21 (released 2005.09.19):
- Game will not crash when building a base or item in rare circumstances.
(emh; Christan Brink (among others) for bug report)
- Fixed a few broken keyboard shortcuts, and redid the code to make this bug
harder to create. (emh)
- Renamed almost all technologies. (Phil)
[NOTE: The descriptions of the technologies have not yet been changed to
match their new names. This will be done by the next release.]
- Various typos. (Phil)
- The current speed will be highlighted. (emh; solitonwave Borg for suggestion)
- Changed endgame tech name. (emh; Daniel Radetsky for suggestion)
- Simplified savegame format. (emh; anonymous for suggestion)
- Fixed crash when loading a game, then starting a new game. (emh)
v0.20 (released 2005.09.14):
- Adjusted the README. (Phil)
- Added suspicion display. (emh)
- Slow time back to normal when a base is discovered. (emh)
- Redid base display. (emh)
- All clicks only accept the left mouse button. (emh)
- Scrollwheel works. (emh)
- Balancing. (emh)
- Various bugfixes. (Phil, emh)
- Future cash is displayed next to current cash. (emh)
- Code refactoring. (Phil)
- Bases and savegames can be named. (Phil, emh)
- Default base names are unique. (Phil)
- Suspicion reduces automatically over time. (Phil)
- Reduced cost for reactors and fields. (emh)
- Bases now have a 14-day grace period before they can be discovered. (emh)
- New technology. (emh)
- Various typo fixes. (Phil, emh)
v0.16 (released 2005.09.12):
- Moved code to subdirectory.
- Added Changelog/AUTHOR files (Phil Bordelon)
- Research and jobs are displayed better. (Phil Bordelon)
- Fixed job crash bug. (Phil Bordelon)
- Current research is listed next to the base name.
- Invisible buttons cannot be clicked anymore.
- Bases can be discovered/the game can be lost.
v0.15 (released 2005.09.11):
- Slight performance increase.
- Added help text for researching nothing.
- Added some sound.
- Covert bases are now constructable.
- Locations will only show up if bases are constructable there.
- Jobs added.
v0.14 (released 2005.09.10):
- Fixed a crash when building some bases. (Phil Bordelon)
- Reduced speed when completing research and bases. (Phil Bordelon)
- Savegames will properly store research cost. (Phil Bordelon)
- The "Build Item" screen will only come up once.
- Fixed overpaying for bases.
- Construction of bases that require CPU time is now possible.
- Maintenance costs for bases correctly taken.
v0.13 (released 2005.09.09):
- Bases give a notification when completed.
- Fixed a few spelling mistakes. (Phil Bordelon)
- Fixed a crash. (Phil Bordelon)
v0.12 (released 2005.09.08):
- Number of bases for each location listed on world map.
- Closing game window from map or base screens no longer results in a traceback.
- Buttons light up when hovered over.
- Fixed crash from undefined tech.
v0.11 (released 2005.09.05):
- Game will no longer crash in listboxes when choosing a blank item.
- Long listboxes handle clicking correctly.
- Fixed crash related to building new bases.
- Shortcut for building base items works.
- Shortcut for building new bases added.
- Network items work now.
v0.10 (released 2005.09.03):
- Initial release.