- A tool for building SNMP Simulator data files from network
packet captures added.
- Automatic online data file index rebuild on data file timestamp
- The sql variation module tweaked to be better compliant with
Python DB API 2.0 so that it can now work with MySQL out of
the box. Module options also reworked to support named
DB connect() parameters.
- Simulator can now run many independent SNMP engines each with its
own set of data files listening at dedicated transport endpoints.
At least pysnmp 4.2.5 is required for this feature to work.
- Simulator now accepts the --transport-id-offset command-line parameter
to specify the initial transport ID instance for each transport domain
- Variation module API changed to allow recording module to communicate
to its host time of the next probe to occur.
- Variation module API changed so that SNMP engine ID is only available
in variate() context. This is due to the new multi-engine ID design.
- New --args-from-file command-line parameter added to snmpsimd.py to
allow a large number of SNMP engines configured to Simulator. The
--agent-endpoint*-list= family of options discontinued in favor of
multiple --agent-*-endpoint options read from args file.
- Distribute is gone, switching to setuptools completely.
- Default logging destination for all tools is now stderr.
- The --version option of snmprec.py renamed into --protocol-version.
- New command-line option --pid-file added.
- Daemonization under a non-root user now works.
- Fixes to time-based log file rotation implementation.
- Fixes to numeric variation module. Also, taglist parameter is now
defaulted into all numerical types.
- Fix to PID file creation on daemonization.
- Fixes to stdio binary mode write to work with Python 3.
- Simulator now supports a list of interfaces to listen on through
the --agent-endpoint*-list=<file> family of options. It's intended
for simulation a very large pool of devices.
- Introducing new command-line utility "datafile.py" designed to manage data
files. Features include: merging, splitting, sorting, de-duplicating,
convertion between data file formats.
- Automatic log file rotation feature implemented.
- A number of improvement to the mib2dev.py tool:
* Columnar objects for table indices are now automatically populated
from index values
* Tables are can now be populated with arbitrary number of rows
* Hex values can now be given at the prompt using the 0x syntax
* Default automatic value ranges for integers are now much smaller
to increase a chance of automatic selection.
* Values ranges can now be set for each SNMP type separately.
* When generating values, make N probes choosing random values for
* Produced values are sorted and de-duplicated.
* Fix to OID range checking when specified at the command-line.
- Help messages made more readable and complete.
- Data file search code fixed (not to crash Simulator in corner cases)
- Variable conflict fixed that broke --v2c-arch option operations.
- Fix to OIDs ordering in --v2c-arch GETBULK responder.
- Fix subprocess variation module to work with old Python(s).
- Source code linted and improved.
- Multiple USM user entries with potentially different auth&priv settings
can now be configured to snmpsimd.py.
- Centralized logging facility added. Logging into syslog or file is
- Simulator process daemonization and privileges drop implemented.
- More logging added into snmpsimd.py, snmprec.py and variation modules
to ease the understanding of their operation.
- The --quiet flag of snmprec.py now deprecated in favor of "null"
- Variation modules execution environment extended to provide contexts
for three scopes: record, agent and module. This simplifies modules
implementation in terms of storing and managing state/configuration
informaton on per-OID/per-Agent and global basis.
- The snmprec.py tool now supports DNS names in c/l target parameter.
- New 'cumulative' flag added to the numeric.py variation module.
- The multiplex module improved to allow .snmprec file selection via
- Fatal exceptions are now fully logged.
- Type checking is now performed on SET operation at writecache module.
- Fix to community names '/'-normalization at transport address based
variation logic. It appeared broken on Windows only since 0.2.1.
- Fix to snmprec.py behaviour on missing variation module directory.
- Fix to .snmpwalk grammar parser to support Network Address type tag.
- Fix to multiplex.py module to let its multiple instances working
independently (each for a subtree).
- Multiple fixes and re-work of the numeric.py module
- Fix to snmprec.py tool to write snmprec data to stderr in binary mode.
- Fix to OID search in a .snmprec in case of a subtree configured
on the last line of .snmprec file.
- Fix to line separator character used in file logger -- now it's
- WARNING: this release brings some backward incompatibilities in
* variation modules names and options
* snmpsimd.py community names (in Windows platform)
* stock variation modules installation location
* sql module OID format stored in database
Please read the changes below for more information.
- License updated to vanilla BSD 2-Clause
- Variation modules can now participate in .snmprec production what
can be used for capturing additional information about SNMP Agent
being snapshotted in .snmprec files.
The following changes have been made to the system:
* the snmprec.py tool can be passed variation module name.
* variation modules can now define the 'record' callable which
will be given a chance to influence snmprec record being written.
* existing 'process' callable in variation modules renamed into
'variate' for clarity.
* variation modules' init() and shutdown() methods accept **context,
'mode' parameter being passed indicating current operation mode.
* variation modules running in recording mode can communicate to
the upper levels that they either won't produce any data on the
current invocation or request another round of SNMP Agent walk.
- Variation modules options now take shape of a key-value pairs. This
might break backward compatibility with 0.2.0!
- The counter.py and gauge.py variation modules merged into a single
numeric.py module which also supports INTEGER&TIMETICKS values as
well as recording feature.
- The involatilecache.py and volatilecache.py modules merged into a
single writecache.py module which also supports SET value verification
against per-OID access list.
- The error.py variation module extended to support variation based on
- The delay.py variation module extended to support variation based on
SET value and time of date.
- Format of the OID stored in SQL database changed in a backward incompatible
- Recording functionality added to the delay.py and numeric.py modules.
- The new "multiplex" variation module added to be able to record
and replay a sequence of .snmprec files ordered by time.
- SNMP GETBULK operation is now supported by snmprec.py.
- Redesign of grammar objects -- the new concept is that they
are only responsible for basic record layout, fields normalization.
and SNMP types resolution. However complex field formatting (such
as grammar-specific tag modifiers) is now up to higher-level
- Simulator-generated community names now uses '/' as path separator
regardless of the platform. This allows for unified Simulator view
in terms of community and context names across the platforms.
- Snapshot files recording now works under Python3.
- Install data and variation modules into package root to make easy_install
work again. Search these directories at runtime as a last resort - prefer
system or home locations as it is more natural to keep changing data there.
- Simulator is now more tolerant to duplicate variation modules (just ignores
recently found) and catches duplicate data files (also ignores more recent).
- On Windows, search both data and variation modules into %PROGRAMFILES%
- Major overhaul aimed at adding value variation features to the Simulator
* data files may now hold not only terminal OIDs but also OID subtrees
* pluggable value variation modules interfaces and basic modules added
* write support added through the use of appropriate variation modules
* SQL backend for keeping and modifying SNMP snapshots added in form of
a value variation module
* subprocess execution variation module added what could be used
for external process invocation on SNMP request to Simulator
* SNMP Notification Originator variation module added what could be
used for sending SNMP TRAP/INFORM messages to SNMP entities
on SNMP requests to Simulator
- SNMP snapshots now being called 'data files' rather than 'device files'
which is a legacy term.
- Data files and variation modules are now installed into platform-specific
- Data files and variation modules are now looked up at several,
platform-specific, locations including $HOME/.snmpsim
- Simulator data files indices are now created and kept in a dedicated
temporary directory which is also configurable though snmpsimd command-line.
- Example data files simplified, more native and foreign snapshots added.
- Fix to snmprec.py not to record end-of-mib.
- Fix to py2exe settings of setup.py
- Net-SNMP's .snmpwalk files created with the "snmpwalk -ObentU" command
can now be used by the Simulator directly.
- SimpleAgentPro's .sapwalk files support added to Simulator.
- Fixes to --start-oid & --stop-oid params to make the working again.
- Simulator reports supported device files types on startup.
- Shared device files now supported. Snapshots can now be indicated
as shared through a symbolic link. Managers can use different
credentials to access and modify the same set of Managed Objects.
- Simulator device file selection by a combination of ContextName,
Transport ID and source address implemented.
- Rudimentary MIB write support added (snmpset now works). Still need to
support MIB-defined constraints.
- Fix to snmpsimd.py to ignore possibly missing .dbm file on failed
- Fix to OID search code what used to always pick the first OID in file
while looking for EOL (Python3 only).
- Simulator device file selection by a combination of Community,
Transport ID and source address implemented (for --v2c-arch mode).
- UDP/IPv6 and UNIX domain socket transports support added to
snmpsimd.py and snmprec.py tools.
- The snmpsimd.py and snmprec.py tools now support additional SNMPv3
authentication (SHA) and encryption (3DES, AES192, AES256) algorithms
provided by pysnmp.
- Simulator now supports binding to and listening at multiple local
endpoints. The --agent-address & --agent-port options are now obsolete.
- The snmprec.py tool Agent address specification syntax unified with that
- Multiple --device-dir c/l options are now supported by snmpsimd.py.
- Some runtime diagnostics added to snmprec.py.
- The snmpsimd.py tool unconditionally rebuilds existing indices of
- Device files handling indexing made faster by not calling <fileobj>.tell().
That also required opening files in 'binary' mode to make sure offset
calculation will work correctly.
- Attempt to open DBM in "fast" and "unsync" modes when building indices
to speed-up index generation.
- Package meta information updated.
- Fix to snmprec.py to make SNMP debugging working again.
- Fix to snmprec.py to properly support non-default SNMP context name.
- Fix to infinite loop possibly occurring at OID search routine.
- Fix to DBM key type (string vs byte issue)
- Fix to mib2dev.py MIB path handling.
- Fix to index object to make "snmpwalk -c index" work again.
- Fix to index object registration in --v2c-arch mode.
- Fix to SNMPv2 exception objects translation into SNMPv1 PDU in the
- Initial revision of the mib2dev.py tool.
- Some more MIB-originated device files added.
- Some more py2k refactoring (some features did not work otherwise).
- Fix to values tags matching at snmpsimd.py (simulator did not work
- Fixes to sys.exc_info invocation.
- Major overhawl for Python 2.4 -- 3.2 compatibility:
+ drop explicit long integer type use
+ map()/filter() replaced with list comprehension
+ apply() replaced with */**args
+ dictionary operations made 2K/3K compatible
+ division operator made 2K/3K compatible
+ exception syntax made 2K/3K compatible
+ tuple function arguments resolved to scalars to become py3k compatible
- --agent-port handling bug fixed in snmprec.py
- --v3-arch command-line flag added to save on large number of
[expensive] addV1System() calls.
- setuptools dependencies improved
- Simulator now builds a table of loaded device files in a
dedicated 'index' context.
- Use OS-specific file extension separator for better portability.
- Support .db extensions voluntarily added by gdbm on OS X.
- Fix to null-typed value read from .dump device file.
- Legacy SNMPv1/v2c community string generation policy dropped.
- SNMPv3 VACM initialization dropped altogether, as the specialized
SMI backend used by Simulator does not implement access control.
- Fix to support zero-length device files.
- Ignore value syntax errors in device files occured when responding.
- Optionally validate device file data while indexing.
- Allow forced device files re-indexing.
- Fix to broken IP address serialization code in recorder.
- Initial public release.