2005-04-22 - Snort 2.3.3 Released
* Fixed sfPortscan Open Ports not getting suppressed.
* Added new mini-preprocessor to catch the X-Link2State vulnerability.
See Snort manual for details.
2005-03-10 - Snort 2.3.2 Released
* Removed end-of-line parser fix in favor of completely reworking
this at the next parser overhaul.
2005-03-09 - Snort 2.3.1 Released
* Fixed issue where the number of flowbits were too small. Thanks Marc
Norton for the fix.
* Fixed parsing of comments at end of line in config file. In
snort.conf, anything that follows a # on a line is considered a
comment. Thanks Steve Sturges for the fix.
* Fixed alignment issue causing sfPortscan to crash on Solaris/HPUX.
Thanks Andy Mullican for the fix. Thanks Senthil Prabu.S and
Jonathan Miner for working with us on this.
2005-01-25 - Snort 2.3.0 Final Released
* Fixed issue with sfPortscan reporting incorrect IP datagram length.
Thanks Jon Hart for the test case and finding the bug, and Marc Norton
for resolving the issue.
* Threshold/Suppression now prints properly when logging to syslog.
Thanks Sekure for pointing out the problem. Thanks Steve Sturges for
working on the fix.
* Threshold memcap argument now correctly handles non-integer input.
Thanks nnposter for the patch.
* Fixed issue reported by Allan Jensen, where on MacOS X, ppp links were
not decoded properly. Thanks Dan Roelker for the fix.
* Snort manual and FAQ are updated for 2.3. Thanks Jen Harvey for your
work on putting it all together.
2004-12-15 - Snort 2.3.0 RC2 Released
* Small performance improvement to arpspoof and also fixed a problem
where the list of configured IP/MAC entries would contain only one
entry and leaked memory (Jeff Nathan).
* Fixed a problem affecting MacOS X where linking may fail with
non-standard libraries when global symbols are encountered multiple
times (Jeff Nathan).
* Ignore RST|ACK midstream pickup case so we don't get an evasive TCP
alerts. Thanks for the report, Sekure. Thanks Dan Roelker for the fix.
* Moved CheckLogDir() to after parsing snort.conf (for IDS mode) so the
logdir config will work if the default or command-line logdir does not
exist on the system. Thanks Dan Roelker.
* Fixed bug when setting the doe_ptr on a successful pcre match.
It is now set relative to base_ptr. Thanks Steve Sturges for the
* Added from_beginning and multiplier options for byte_jump.
from_beginning skips bytes from the beginning of the content,
instead of from the location immediately following the number
of bytes to skip. multiplier takes a numeric argument, and
skips x times that number of bytes. Thanks again to Steve Sturges.
* In "fast" output, now log only actual packet contents when UDP
data length is greater than actual data length. Thanks Brian
Caswell for spotting this, and Andrew Mullican for working on the fix.
* Please check the ChangeLog for further details.
2004-11-18 - Snort 2.3.0 RC1 Released
* Added IPS functionality from Snort-Inline. A big thanks to the
Snort-Inline guys (Jed Haile, Rob McMillen, William Metcalf, and Victor
Julien). Also, Thanks Dan Roelker for doing the integrating of
Snort-Inline into the official Snort project.
* Added new portscan detector. The design and implementation was headed
up by Dan Roelker, and included Marc Norton and Jeremy Hewlett.
* Numerous changes for better 64bit Snort support from Jeremy Hewlett and
Marc Norton. Additionally, an --enable-64bit-gcc option was added to
configure. However, there are still some memory alignment issues to
work out before 64bit mode is fully functional, patches are welcomed.
Thanks Chris Baker for doing 64bit testing.
* Added not_established keyword to the flow detection option. This allows
snort to do dynamic firewall rulesets. Experimental for now.
* Added an enforce_state keyword to stream4 so we won't pick up midstream
sessions. This works well for asynchronous links and also for
just monitoring legitimate traffic.
* Relocated ./contrib files to http://www.snort.org/dl/contrib as many
are not maintained by Sourcefire and are out of date. The rpm and
schema files have been relocated in their respective 'rpm' and 'schemas'
directories under the snort parent directory.
* perfmonitor config line can now be configured with "accumulate" or
"reset." Thanks Marc Norton for the feature, and Barry Basselgia for
pointing out the issue. Thanks Scott Dexter and Andreas Ostling for
doing some initial testing.
* Fixed 64-bit bug in sfmemcap.c found and tested by Ryan Matteson
and Clay McClure. Thanks guys.
* Fixed reference times to match log time for first packet, for an event
generated by a reassembled packet. Incremented event ID to give
unique ID for each packet. Also made unified logging compatible with
Windows. Thanks Andrew Mullican for the fix.
* Fixed linux perfmonitoring stats for the 2.6 kernel. Thanks to
everyone that reported this bug. Thanks Dan Roelker for the fix.
* Get thresholding/suppression to work for alerts that do not
contain an ip header (primarily decode alerts). Thanks
* Fix conditions where snort would log double web alerts that
contained only content options (no uricontents). Thanks to kawa for
finding and reporting this bug.
* Fix suppression/thresholding bug for non-rule alerts. Thanks to
Alex Butcher for reporting it to us.
* Many other bug fixes, please check the ChangeLog for details.