More detailed notes are available on the news page:
0.64.2 (git tag "0.64.2") - October 18, 2014 - Minor features, bug fixes.
* Rendering: Allow to set mode of alpha handling.
* Rendering: "Extract Alpha" mode ("--extract-alpha" or "-x" CLI option).
* Rendering: Lossles H.264 encoding profile.
* Fix ffmpeg target for Ubuntu (bug #118).
* Fix file saving in Windows (bug #572).
* Fix compatibility issues for OSX 10.9.
0.64.1 (git tag "0.64.1") - November 4, 2013 - Features, bug fixes.
* Parameters are stored as ValueBase now.
* Core Bones implementation / Skeleton layer.
* Implement Cairo rendering for all layers.
* Default interpolation could be defined specifically for parameter.
* Option to exclude layers from rendering.
* Fix ffmpeg target in Windows build (bug #118).
0.64.0 (git tag "synfig-0.64.0") - May 06 2013 - Major features, bug fixes.
* New CLI based on boost libraries.
* New pluging system
* New Cairo render engine
* Terminology renaming
* Keyframes can now be enabled and disabled
* New sequence separator option
* Fix bug ID: 2684968: render is one frame short.
* Fixed bug that happens when BLine passed is empty.
* Fix bug: ID: 3523296 Onion skin and tile render are broken.
* Fix bug ID: 3474332: Play/pause by shortcut causes canvas to stop updating.
* Add Real convert type, fixes #324
0.63.05 (git tag "synfig-0.63.05") - April 09 2012 - Features, bug fixes.
* Roll back fix bug ID 3405011 because it produced other worse bug.
* New Outline Grow parameter on Paste Canvas layer. For inline canvases it increases (decreases) the width of the children layers by a exponential factor.
* Add new parameter to the CLI '--sequence-separator' option for separator string on image sequence render. Default is a dot '.' Forbidden space character.
* Fix bug: ValueNode_BLineCalcTangent is broken for Angle types.
* Additional fix for be able to build on Ubuntu 12.04. Patch thanks to Denis Washington (denis_w)
* Apply partially patch #3424218. Fix compiling issues with clang compiler. Thanks to Hisashi Todd Fujinaka
* Commented out unused variables. Additional compiler warning fixed
0.63.04 (git tag: "synfig-0.63.04") - February 08, 2012 - Features, bug fixes.
* Fix crash when inserting an item on a generic empty dynamic list.
* Fix broken ffmpeg target that doesn't work for some non dot decimal points numeric locale settings.
* Fix several bugs and crashes related to dashed outlines
* Fix bug: http://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/23017929
* Fix bug http://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/23212095. If two rotations of 90 and -90 are consecutive the program crashes.
* Fix bug http://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/23342471.
* New interpolation type "Clamped"
0.63.03 (git tag: "synfig-0.63.03") - December 05, 2011 - Features, bug fixes.
* Support to create Advanced Outlines with the Draw Tool.
* Fixed script to generate synfig API.
* Added two new parameters to the WidthPoint class. Lower Boundary and Upper Boundary
They define the lower and upper boundaries value of the widhtpoint position
When placed at start and end of the BLine. By default lower = 0.0 and upper = 1.0
Lower boundary must be always smaller than Upper boundary.
As parameters they cannot be exported, converted or animated.
* Render improvements for Advanced Outlines:
With 'Fast' parameter disabled: 55% of reduction render time
With 'Fast' parameter enabled: 10% of reduction render time
* For Importer layer, even if file is physically impossible to open,
set the parameter with the passed file name. This would allow to load and
save Synfig's documents with paths for imported files badly adjusted but that user
doesn't want to modify.
* Fix for compatibility with libpng 1.5. Patch #3427945 by SpeckFleck.
* Fix bug in Time Loop Layer. Patch ID: #3414729 by Ray Frederikson
* Avoid crash when there is only one blinepoint and the bline is not looped on Advanced Outlines.
* Fix some old render artifacts and new ones due to render optimization on Advanced Outlines.
* Avoid crash when DIList is empty on Advanced Outlines.
* Insert Item smart is allowed now over empty lists.
* New Greek language. Thanks to kiolalis
* Update for all the languages.
0.63.02 (git tag: "synfig-0.63.02") - September 28, 2011 - Improvement
* Add new parameter 'Fast' to Advanced Outline to allow render faster but less
0.63.01 (git tag: "synfig-0.63.01") - September 24, 2011 - Bug fixes, features
* Fix bug 3147736: avoid zero or negative value for supersample layer' size parameter.
* Allow use the Joined List Convert type to file name parameter of the Import Image layers.
* If tangents are zero and are merged, then consider them as split to make corners.
* Width points can be placed in a curve length basis using Homogeneous parameter.
* Interpolated width is from now on homogeneous. Fixes some render artifacts.
* Fixed some interpolation errors produced by bad WPList loop interpretation.
* Add new Dash Item List and support for dashed outlines.
* Linked to BLine has the option of be curve length based. On by default.
* New languages support: Persian, Slovakian, Dutch and Lituanian.
* Updated existing translations
0.63.00 (git tag: "synfig-0.63.00") - June 5, 2011 - Bug fixes, major features
* Fix bug #3111032: Load and save settings must be locale independent.
* Added missing descriptions for several parameters.
* Fix bug: Avoid negative precision to produce always good strings from angle.
* Use º instead of DEG.
* Added new descriptions for linkable value node parameters.
* New advanced outline layer. Slidable variable width support and other features
* New languages support: Portuguese (Brazilian), Polish (Poland), Romanian and Norwegian
* Updates for Spanish, French and Italian.
* Rename Vertices parameter for Polygon layer.
* Fix bug #2175043: Crash when rendering in directory without write permission
0.62.02 (git tag: "synfig-0.62.02") - November 13, 2010- Bug fixes, features
* Fix load and save palette feature.
* Code documentation. Not full yet.
* Adapt api.sh script to run as a cron job at tuxfamily servers.
Now API is updated at http://download.tuxfamily.org/synfig/api/index.html
* Rename secondary layer's Z column to "Icon" and make it not reorderable.
Make "Name" column resizable.
* Britain English translation. Robert Readman.
* Fix Bug #3029832 Time Offset parameter fails for multiple times imported files
* Simplified Chinese translation. Yu Chen
* New "By Layer Default" blend method.
Now some layers define its own blend method instead of Composite or
the selected by user. For example Shade->Behind
* Fix bug #2958077. Incorrect fps in ListImporter
* New Stroboscope Layer. Ray Fredesikson
* Added "Static" option for individual parameters.
If "Static" is on, then in animation mode it is no created any waypoint
when modified. Only valid for layer parameters and constant value nodes.
* Fix bug #3060560. Link two tangents and one is animated, the animated is not used.
* Smart linking bline tangents implementation. Now all tangents are yellow ducks.
* Move reverse manipulation code to Value Desc.
This allows recursive reverse manipulation for valuenodes which has
inverse manipulation implemented.
* Assume frames when no unit is provided in a time field. Apply feature request #2879693
* Spanish translation update.
* New Simplified Chinese translation. Yu Chen
0.62.01 (git tag: "synfig-0.62.01") - May 31, 2010 - Bug fixes, features.
* Enable reverse manipulation to range value nodes. Fix bug in value node range.
* Resolve issues with libtool 1.5.26 and 2.2.4.
* Improve SVG import support. Better support for gradients and some bug fixes.
* Add code to make possible pass parameters to the renderers. Implementation for ffmpeg.
* New Italian and German translations.
* Automatic build script for linux system. Please report success of usage.
* New parameters for Motion Blur layer. Now allows linear and constant interpolation too.
* Updated Russian, French and Spanish translation
0.62.00 (git tag: "synfig-0.62.00") - October 12, 2009 - Bug fixes, features.
* Migration to git repository.
* Bugs fixed: #2195749, #1968248, #2250533, #2116947, launchpad.net/ubuntu/#195447
* Bugs fixed: #1993098, #1730067, #2353248, #2037732, #2412072, #2458112
* Bugs fixed: #2502818.
* Improved messages for failed open file commands.
* Fixed crash when unsetting import layer filename after using PNG or JPEG importers.
* Improved the rendering of curve gradient layers near vertices with 0-length tangents.
* Fixed previous bug that produced bad render to the star layer.
* Enabled use of ffmpeg importer.
* Set four modules as essential: gradient, geometry, particle, freetype.
* Improved message when initialize synfig fails.
* New environment variables for options.
* Added support for alpha in paletted PNG files.
* New option: Scale New imported Images to Fit Canvas.
* Better errors when attempting to open a file that doesn't exist.
* Enabled Example module: Metaballs, Simple Circle, Filled Rectangle.
* New Value Nodes: Greyed, Power, And, Not, Compare.
* Added 'Loop' parameter to the Random Value Node.
* Reverse manipulation for Scale Value Nodes.
* Removed ancient trunk folder from svn repository.
* New Import SVG files module. Basic SVG import, see release notes.
* Disabled crop imported images by default.
* Updated translations.
* First time Russian translation.
* Several compiler warnings fixed.
0.61.09 (SVN 2113) - October 21, 2008 - Bug fixes, features.
* Segment and Blines tangents are calculated more accurately
* Don't allow feather to be negative in any layer
* New Logarithm, Int String, Angle String, Joined List, Real String,
Time String, Dot Product, Gradient Colour, Vector X, Vector Y,
Vector Length, Vector Angle convert types
* Remove TENSION from TCB modes as it is the same as TEMPORAL TENSION
* Unless OpenEXR half mode is used, don't ask synfigstudio to depend on it
* Added "Link to Bline" feature
* Fix several bugs: plant layer, libavformat, time format FFf, libswscale
straight onto method, eyedrop tool and straight blend method for shape type layers
* Fix some compiler warnings
* Rename 'offset' and 'pos' to 'origin'
* Add French and Spanish translations
* Update the Windows builds to use OpenEXR 1.6.1
* The JPEG target can be switched on/off now
* Fix typos and other issues
0.61.08 (SVN 1839) - March 3, 2008 - Bug fixes, features
* Update the website URL to synfig.org instead of synfig.com
* Synfig is now translatable using gettext
* Removed the 'bootstrap' script for building. Use autoreconf instead
* Fixed errors and warnings detected by a pre-release version of GCC 4.3
* New Duplicate layer. This is an experimental feature, but works well
* New reverse, offset parameters and misc fixes for the Plant layer.
* Fix a crash and use relative ducks with the Stretch layer
* Allow multibyte characters in the Text layer
* Misc fixes & features on Shade, Shape, Spherize, Star, Time Loop, Warp layers
* Add aTan2, Bline Width, Cos, Duplicate, From Integer, Random,
Reciprocal, Reverse Tangent, Step, Switch, Time Loop convert types
* Add and Subtract convert types now work with gradients
* Security fixes for ffmpeg/dv/imagemagick targets/importers (except on Win32)
* Add new magick++ target that does better gif rendering with libmagick++ 7.3
* Misc fixes for the rendering targets, blend methods and canvases
* Allow importing of lipsynced voice animations from Papagayo
* Various changes to related to SIF file compatibility
* Fix typos, several crashes and other issues
0.61.07 (SVN 878) - October 10, 2007 - Bug fixes
* Fix importing on amd64 (#1692825)
* Fixes for the PasteCanvas layer (#1356449)
* Clean up Layer menu and displayed layer names
* Allow exported canvases to be used in more than one place within a canvas (#1785296)
* Fix, extend, and enable the 'XOR Pattern' layer
* Fix and extend the 'Plant' layer (#1790903)
* Turn on plant layer (gunsmoke) in macwolfen.sifz example
* Use 'fast gaussian' rather than 'gaussian' for blurs in pirates.sifz - it's faster!
* Fix and enable the 'Timed Swap' valuenode conversion
* Extend the 'Linear' valuenode conversion to work with colors and integers.
* Enable basic motion blur display at all qualities
* Fix an artifact on the curve gradient layer (#1792063, r663)
* Add the 'Range', 'Repeat Gradient', 'Add', 'Exponent' valuenode conversions
* Add the 'BLine Vector', and 'BLine Tangent' valuenode conversions (#1781903)
* Fix problems with valuenode conversion (#1794374, #1795913, #1795922, #1796068, #1797488)
* Allow gradients to be animated (#1568818, #1795802)
* Stop TCB angle waypoints changing to type Linear on load (#1778930)
* Use compression when saving to files with .sifz extension
* Compressed example .sif files to .sifz to save space
* Fixed Motion Blur layer (#1800783)
* Allow building studio with gcc -O2 (#1509627)
* Allow encapsulated layers to animate their z-depth, even when time-shifted (#1806852)
* Fixed the Radial Blur layer when zooming in on the canvas (#1807709)
* Fix several other bugs and crashes
0.61.06 (SVN 536) - June 20, 2007 - Bug fixes
* Add fontconfig support
* Fix amd64 issue
* Fix ffmpeg, gif, libav targets
* Include more target modules in the Win32 package
* Fix some crashes in synfigstudio
* Fix some render artifacts
* Fix some doxygen warnings
* Some MacOS fixes
* Misc bug fixes
* Fix random number generation for 64 bit CPUs (#1698604)
* Add parameter 'fast' to curve gradients to choose fast or accurate rendering (#1672033)
* Add new odd/even winding style for regions
0.61.05 (SVN 126) - February 27, 2005 - Misc fixes
* Use system libltdl when available (#1423944)
* Update doxygen config file (#1402909)
* Fix fontconfig/xft FTBFS
* Misc fix (#1414370)
0.61.04 (SVN 102) - January 10, 2005 - Misc fixes
* Check for imagemagick at build time
* Clarify mod_openexr copyright
* Fix mod_openexr building
* Don't add 'Copyright Voria' to PNG output
* Don't write localised numbers when generating SIF files
0.61.03 - December 8, 2005 - Copyright update
* Update more old copyright and licence notices
* Remove broken walk example
* Misc code fixes
0.61.02 - November 26, 2005 - Misc fixes
* Small cygwin/optimization/code fixes
0.61.01 - November 3, 2005 - Copyright update
* Update old copyright and licence notices
* Fix some GCC 4.0 build issues
* Include errno.h where needed
* Add ./configure options for debug, warnings, optimisation, profiling
* Add about_dialog.sif as another example
* Remove SFAutomaton.ttf due to licence issues
* Fix BMP rendering target
0.61.00-39 - November 1, 2005 - Developer preview
* First public release!