util-linux (2.32-0.4) unstable; urgency=medium
The util-linux implementation of /bin/su is now used, replacing the
one previously supplied by src:shadow (shipped in login package), and
bringing Debian in line with other modern distributions. The two
implementations are very similar but have some minor differences (and
there might be more that was not yet noticed ofcourse), e.g.
- new 'su' (with no args, i.e. when preserving the environment) also
preserves PATH and IFS, while old su would always reset PATH and IFS
even in 'preserve environment' mode.
- new 'su -' (creating new environment) will do just that, while old
su would always preserve content of DISPLAY and XAUTHORITY
environment variables. Set them as needed (but beware X doesn't give
you any real privileges separation anyway if you can access an X
server of another user). See pam_xauth(8) if you want to reconfigure
pam for seamless xauth keys.
- su '' (empty user string) used to give root, but now returns an error.
- previously su only had one pam config, but now 'su -' is configured
separately in /etc/pam.d/su-l. This file additionally invokes
'pam_keyinit' to revoke the session keyring.
The first difference is probably the most user visible one. Doing
plain 'su' is a really bad idea for many reasons, so using 'su -' is
strongly recommended to always get a newly set up environment similar
to a normal login. If you want to restore behaviour more similar to
the previous one you can add 'ALWAYS_SET_PATH yes' in /etc/login.defs.
-- Andreas Henriksson <firstname.lastname@example.org> Fri, 03 Aug 2018 10:52:22 +0200
util-linux (2.29.2-3) experimental; urgency=medium
* The cfdisk, fdisk and sfdisk utilities has been split out into a
separate fdisk package. Any package needing these utilities should
add a dependency on: fdisk | util-linux (<< 2.29.2-3~)
(The second part of it makes the dependency also be fulfilled in case
of stretch-backports and should be considered optional.)
-- Andreas Henriksson <email@example.com> Sun, 06 Aug 2017 14:59:02 +0200
util-linux (2.29.2-2) unstable; urgency=medium
* The deprecated 'pg' utility is no longer shipped.
(Please use either 'more' or 'less' instead.)
* The deprecated 'tunelp' utility is no longer shipped.
(Parallell port printers are suspected to be extinct by now.)
* The deprecated 'line' utility is no longer shipped.
(Please use the 'head' utility instead.)
* The deprecated 'tailf' utility is no longer shipped.
(Please use 'tail -f' instead.)
-- Andreas Henriksson <firstname.lastname@example.org> Mon, 13 Mar 2017 19:27:14 +0100
util-linux (2.25.1~rc1-1) experimental; urgency=medium
* This version adds a number of patches which again makes
fsck available on non-linux architectures like kfreebsd.
-- Andreas Henriksson <email@example.com> Sat, 30 Aug 2014 18:32:25 -0700
util-linux (2.25-1) experimental; urgency=medium
* The cytune command is no longer available since it has
been removed upstream.
* Upstream Release Notes also includes these highlights:
The "swapon --summary" output format is deprecated in favor of the
"swapon --show[=<columns>]" that provides better control on output
- the code been completely rewritten, now it uses libfdisk and
libsmartcols, supports GPT, SUN, SGI and BSD disk labels
- the command is no more based on CHS addressing
* WARNING! The fsck command is no longer built on non-linux.
It relies on libmount, which needs porting.
-- Andreas Henriksson <firstname.lastname@example.org> Wed, 23 Jul 2014 14:05:13 +0200
util-linux (2.24.2-1) experimental; urgency=low
This is a major update which is long overdue.
This release attempts to unify the work that has happened upstream
with the work that has gone on in parallell in the Debian package.
A few things are no longer shipped since they have been removed upstream:
ddate - convert Gregorian dates to Discordian dates
chkdupexe - report dangling symlinks and duplicately-named binaries
-- Andreas Henriksson <email@example.com> Wed, 11 Jun 2014 12:00:48 +0200