2018-06-28: version 0.57.2
* Update version date printed in command-line help
2018-06-26: version 0.57.1
* Fix next piece disappearing after unpausing
* Remove author credits from menu/game
2009-09-13: version 0.57
* Allegro: fixed awkward array overrun when there are more than two
* Fixed awkward bug that prevented the first joystick from showing up in
the menus when there are two.
* Fixed saved player to joystick section in the configuration file
(e.g. if player1 used js0, "player=1" was saved to [js1]).
* tmpnam() is not used anymore as I realized how tmpfile() can easily be
* Workarounds for PDCurses in Win 98 (getch() returns strange things).
I use PDCurses 3.3, haven't tried the latest version.
* Other small fixes.
2009-06-17: version 0.56
* Fixed nondetected invalid lines when decoding highscores.
* Renamed icon.xpm to vitetris.xpm and added vitetris.desktop.
* Removed useless and confusing --destdir from configure.
* Modified Makefile to use DESTDIR.
* New installation directories: datarootdir, pixmapdir and desktopdir.
2008-10-24: version 0.55
* Fixed code which assumes that char is signed.
* Fixed a few netplay things.
* Fixed a few keyboard setup things.
* Fixed some other small things.
2008-10-16: version 0.54
* Fixed missing null-byte in string when saving won-lost stats.
* Fixed incorrect check when waiting for the first tetromino, which the
other player sends. Could end the game before anyone has three wins
on a slow connection.
* Allegro: Desktop colour depth not used on unix since it seems to cause
seg fault on startup (sometimes) on Linux X11.
* Netplay connect menu.
* Won-lost stats depend on which name you use.
* Game server much improved and protocol extended so that clients can
get a player list and select an opponent from it.
* The protocol allows to set start level and height. A custom server can
be built which forces players to have the same level and height.
* Many small improvements and fixes of the netplay menus, etc.
* Fixed possibly incorrect mode when starting with "nomenu". A version
compiled without two-player mode would behave very strange if mode is
two-player in configuration file, for example.
2008-10-06: version 0.53
* "connect" accepts space between hostname and port number instead of colon.
* If port number is missing, checks /dev etc. instead of just guessing
that hostname is a tty.
* Fixed seg fault when only port number is specified (introduced in 0.51).
* Fixed linking error when inet is disabled in src-conf.mk.
* The user is asked to confirm that he wants to close the connection when
about to leave the netplay menu.
* Fixed some problems with the tty invitation system.
* Old tty invitation files are once again removed automatically.
This was added in 0.43 but missing in 0.50, apparently.
2008-10-03: version 0.52
* Fixed Makefiles on OS X.
* Netplay: Tuned a certain timeout which would close the connection.
2008-09-11: version 0.51
* The last hostname:port used with "connect" is remembered and will be
used if "connect" is given no argument.
* WIN32: added connect.exe, a simple netplay frontend.
* Allegro: fullscreen setting available in Options menu.
* Allegro: Alt-Enter toggles fullscreen.
* Allegro: Desktop colour depth used.
* WIN32-Allegro: stdout emulated when not console application.
* WIN32-Allegro: fixed tab-repeat when Alt-tabbing away from and switching
back to fullscreen in Windows Vista.
* The highscore box shows 5-9 instead of 4-8 when a score is entered at
position 8 (for example).
* Won-lost stats are saved for players which identify themselves with a
name (with -name option).
2008-09-03: version 0.50
The goal for this release was to make everything work under Windows/DOS.
And of course I couldn't help but fix many other things along the way, so
it took quite some time. Here is an incomplete list of more or less
* Netplay is much more robust. There is basic backward compatibility,
but you shouldn't play 0.4x anymore.
* It is possible for players to connect to a server instead of directly to
one another. A simple game server is included.
* Two-player bug fixed: if the game ended just at the last frame of the line
clear animation, there would be a freeze or a garbage top up for the other
player during the next game.
* Two-player bug fixed: if a player received garbage just when he had
cleared ALL his blocks, the game would hang.
* Players receive the same garbage blocks at beginning if they have the same
* A game can end in a draw.
* There is a drop marker at the bottom (not in an 80x24 terminal).
* New block style "brackets" (which gives better contrast in xterm).
* Tetromino Colours menu fixed.
* Input Setup menu improved.
* First letters can be used to navigate in the menus.
* Command-line options are more helpful; response is given for invalid
arguments, unrecognized options etc.
* The Allegro library can be used.
* Linux joystick code reads axis events correctly.
* Ctrl-Z and \r are not used in encoded highscores anymore. Entries which
contain these bytes are duplicated for backward compatibility.
* Should work with 16-bit compilers (tested with Turbo C).
2008-06-27: version 0.43
* nosafedrop option mentioned in README finally implemented.
* The curses version no longer uses select on the stdin file descriptor to
wait for input. (Which was a bad thing to do since curses could read
stdin as a stream.)
* Time delays are better handled.
* Fixed colour issues with pdcurses and possibly other versions of curses.
* Old tty invitation files (/tmp/vitetris-*) are now removed automatically.
2008-06-23: version 0.42
A fixed typo caused version 0.41 to _not_ compile with two-player disabled.
So I just restored the typo. ;-)
I have renamed /var/games/vitetris-hiscore to vitetris-hiscores.
Diff the src directory if you feel like.
2008-06-18: version 0.41
* Fixed a bug in the 1-player game menu: shown player options would be
uninitialized data in a special case.
* Garbage meter is now two characters wide and thus more noticable.
* Added #ifdef stuff to draw.c.
* Some fine-tuning of the joystick code.
* Rewritten strtoval in options.c.
* Small update to the README file.
* Added CHANGELOG-03x and this file.
* --destdir added to configure.
2008-04-27: version 0.40
This is a careful rewrite of much of the code. New features include network
play, joystick (gamepad) support on Linux, and the compile-time option to
use curses. Command-line options have been extended so that menus don't
have to be used; menus can now be disabled at compile time.
* Fixed pause bug.
* American spelling used when locale is en_US.
* Tetromino colours can be changed.
* Build-system is more portable.
* ESC[G not used anymore as it is not a VT100 escape sequence and is not
supported in NetBSD's VT100 emulation.
* Fixed buggy use of struct timeval which produced an error on NetBSD.
* Beaten highscores at end of list are now removed internally, so no 11th
entry will show up after entering a new score.
* Start height of random blocks added.
* Improved menus.
* Command-line option "-nomenu" added, which skips menus.
* Terminal resizing better handled.
* Fixed time delays in slow terminals (when printing is slow). This problem
was observed under cygwin/Win 98 on a 400-MHz Pentium II.
* Drops are ignored when piece is at its spawn position, to prevent
double-drop mistakes when auto-repeat is fast (or otherwise).
* README file changed.
* Fixed missing flush of output when winner is shown in 2-player mode.
* SIGWINCH signal is now handled, which means that terminal resizing can be
detected without using Xlib.
* The position line under Top Scores now shows up when score qualifies for the
* Fixed bugs that cause problems under cygwin and possibly under other
* Fixed bug in 1-player mode which caused keys with no action to drop piece
* Fixed detection of X window in gnome-terminal.
* Output buffering is now used.
* Interrupt signal is now handled.
* Various other small fixes.
* Two-clause BSD-style licence added.
* Fixed bug that would cause freeze when softdrop key is held down and
softdrop speed is set to 20 (discovered by Andreas Carlsson). This bug is
not present in version 0.2.x.
* Fixed bug introduced in 0.3.1 which causes term bg to be set to white on
* New tt-bg mode for drawing blocks added.
* When a horizontal move fails in levels where fall time < lock delay, it is
performed again when piece is moved down by gravity.
* tt mode added - blocks can be drawn as in Tetris for Terminals.
* Terminal options can be specified on command line.
* Command-line option "-hiscore" can be used to merge highscore files.
* Listing of command-line options with "-help" added.
* Some code cleanup.