Wicd 1.7 Series
- Bugfix for WEP hexadecimal network configurations (thanks, Axel Beckert!)
- New feature: you can now manually control the speed of the wireless connection
- Lots (30+) of bugfixes (see launchpad or the CHANGES file for details)
- Really fix local privilege escalation (CVE-2012-2095).
- Removed unmaintained language variants.
- Fixed crash of wicd-curses with (again) UTF-8 locales. This should fix
it all now. Hopefully.
- Encryption templates were broken by the fix for CVE-2012-2095; fixed.
- Fix typo in wicd-curses, which made it crash with UTF-8 locales.
- Fix local privilege escalation when setting configuration properties
through the daemon's DBus interface (CVE-2012-2095).
- Support passing no driver to wpa_supplicant.
- Fixed installation instructions, with the new >= 1.7.1 commands.
- Fixed typo preventing DHCP hostname from properly working.
- Renamed wpa templates to clarify usage.
- Fixed wicd-cli crash when switching wired network profiles.
- Fallback to mode 'Master' if 'None' is detected when scanning wifi
- Fixed bug when trying to start wicd multiple times.
- Fixed wicd-curses crash when trying to select wired encryption type,
thanks to Joe MacMahon.
- Fixed wicd-curses crash with UTF-8 encryption types.
- Fixed wicd-daemon crash when child_pid is undefined, thanks to
Changes for Packagers:
- You will now want to use the --python option to setup.py configure to
make sure the right Python (python2.x) is used. With the Python 3
transition in progress, the lack of uniformity across distros made it
difficult to find a solution that works everywhere. As a result, the
python executable path can be set (for subprocesses launched by Wicd)
with the --python option to setup.py configure, and patching of the
shebang lines may be required if `which python` is not python2.x.
- If you handle translations in your packaging process, setup.py now
needs 'pybabel' and 'xgettext' binaries. Please provide them during
the build process.
- setup.py now accepts three more parameters: --dbus-service=, --systemd=
and --logrotate=. Please set them accordingly to the paths of your
- (New) upstream author: David Paleino :)
- The translations are now handled by Rosetta, in Launchpad.
- Implemented support for wired connections needing authentication with
wpa_supplicant (thanks Joe MacMahon!)
- Support 'Never show networks' (thanks Robin Becker!)
- Mask out sensitive information in the logfile (CVE-2012-0813)
- Now uses gtkbuilder instead of libglade
- Fixed bug in script macro expansion
- Fixed typo in EAP-fast template
- Applied 1 patch from Archlinux (thanks Rémy Oudompheng)
- Fixed Python 2.7 support
- Works if Python3 is the default Python
- Applied 14 patches from Debian (big thank you to everyone
- Includes translations in source tarball
- Improved documentation
- Fixed resolv.conf permissions
- Ignore configparser errors
- Several others, please see CHANGES for more details
- Proper localization of all the code has been put in place -- every part
of the UIs and the daemon should be translated/translatable now!
- Fixed various bugs with 'unicode in ESSID' handling
- Implemented rfkill-support
- Generalized libc linking using ctypes' find_library()
- Fixed wireless connecting status message, now shows the correct ESSID
- Support wifi-channels with more than 2 digits
- Implemented in-GUI password hiding
- Implemented -t/--tray to only run the wicd-gtk tray icon
- Support alternative ifconfig output style
Changes for Packagers:
- Wicd now supports a -k option, which should be run by the init script
when the daemon is stopped to release the DHCP lease but should not
be run on a restart of the daemon.
- The ability has been added to split Wicd's components into multiple
directories. Use --gtk, --cli, --curses, and --daemon to
setup.py configure to specify the locations of the respective
- The preferred way to run the GTK UI is now to use wicd-gtk, not
wicd-client. wicd-gtk is a new addition to 1.7 that will never
run wicd-curses. wicd-client will automatically decide to run
wicd-curses if there is no X session available.
- Connection information is available by right clicking the tray icon
- Can set the hostname per network for all DHCP clients
- urwid 0.9.9 is now supported
- Added wicd-cli, a command line interface for use in scripts
- Global scripts are now passed parameters specifying the network
- Support for only displaying notifications using -o to wicd-client
- Reconnecting now works when measuring signal strength in dBm
- ESSIDs made of numbers now work properly
- All valid wpa_supplicant drivers are now displayed
- Wired network is now displayed while scanning wireless networks
- Added wicd-gtk, a command to always and only run the GTK UI
- Marked ioctl backend not supported
- Use dhcpcd-bin on Debian instead of dhcpcd script
Wicd 1.6 Series
- Now deals better if the interface disappears while running
- Will now start if the global script directories don't exist
- Adhoc window will now work correctly
- PSK can be generated from non-ASCII characters
- Fix a minor wicd-curses crash while connecting during a scan
- User is told if the lack permission to access the daemon
- Support for wireless cards that don't report signal strength added
- Enhanced network configuration dialog title
- Improved tray icon and GUI images (thanks to Martin Sagastume)
- Reorganized network list in the GUI for easier navigation
- New experimental ioctl backend, which is more cpu-friendly than the
- Added a curses client (thanks to Andrew Psaltis)
- Added a right-click connection menu to the tray icon
- Added options to specify a DNS domain and search domain for static networks
- Reworked the Preferences menu to be more in line with GNOME standards
- Added support for global scripts
- Made it possible to have optional entries in encryption templates
- Added ability to show libnotify notifications on status change
Minor Changes and Other Enhancements:
- Better autoconnection behavior
- Tray/GUI will survive the daemon being killed
- Reasons for connection failures will now bubble back to the GUI
- Add/remove wired profile system is now more user-friendly
- Support for using resolvconf instead of directly editing /etc/resolv.conf
- Wicd won't blindly kill dhcp clients / wpa_supplicant any more
- Added an option to automatically switch from a wireless network to a wired
one as soon as a cable is plugged in
- Moved scanning to its own thread, which makes GUI and daemon more responsive
- Made it possible to specify macros in script entries
- The GUI will now display the encryption entry dialog if you attempt to
connect to an encrypted network without entering a password
- Static gateway entry is now optional
- Passwords with leading or trailing whitespace are now stored properly
- Many init/config script, man page, and setup.py fixes/updates, including
better autodetection of file placement with regard to sleep hooks and
KDE autostart files (thanks to Robby Workman)