XDelta NEWS -- history of user-visible changes. -*- Text -*-
$Date: Sun, 04 Oct 1998 23:20:58 -0700 $
$ReleaseVersion: 1.0.0 $
Please send bug reports to xdelta-bugs@XCF.Berkeley.EDU. See the file
`README' for a description of how to report bugs.
** Changes since version 0.24
* This version is a complete rewrite, and removes some of the features
available in version 0. Featuring:
- A completely new and much improved library interface. This code is
a complete rewrite.
- An optimized implementation of the XDelta algorithm.
- A drastic memory reduction.
- The library stream-processes files where possible and uses a page-
based interface when seeking is required (allowing the application
to run in bounded memory on large files).
- There is now a little documentation. A man page and the
beginnings of texinfo documentation.
- Includes several advanced features used by PRCS version 2, see the
documentation for more information.
- Includes a minimal implementation of the Rsync algorithm, also used
by PRCS version 2.
- Uses an abstract file handle interface, the library has very few
system dependencies. This allows the library client to compute
MD5 checksums in a single-pass as XDelta reads files, use pre-
computed checksums, or disable checksum verification entirely.
- Compression and file-unarchival have been removed from the library,
these features are orthogonal.
At the application level:
- GDBM archive experiment has been removed. This functionality is
implemented directly in PRCS version 2 using the present library
- Base 64 encoding support has been removed for technical reasons.
- Can no longer accept patches from stdin, due to the same
technical reasons (the patch instruction index is stored at the
end of the file, requiring seeking).
- Automatic detection and un-archival of RPM and dpkg file formats
has been removed. Automatic uncompression of gzipped files is
- The GIMP plugin is no longer supported.