This is a list of things that I would like to see done to xfaces.
This first list is what I consider of a high priority and would like to
see in the next release or two:
- Handle more image formats internally. Currently you can handle other
image formats via external converters that convert the image to XPM.
(GIF, FaceSaver, etc) Colormap reduction/dithering.
We should be able to specify that only N color are to be used. Then
when color images are loaded we should convert/dither etc so thay don't
use more colors. We should also be able to specify the colormap.
- In version 3.2 I added seperate annotation specs for unknown faces. This
should really be turned into a more general facility.
- Use baseTranslations as well as translations so that with R5 and later
the user can add to the translations.
- Strip trailing white space from facedbPath.
- Search performace.
The following are in no particular order:
- Use the domain name from the curent host when hostname value from a mail item
or script is empty.
- Resource to raise the xfaces window on new mail.
- Allow the use of MAIL and FACEPATH environment variables for the mail spool
file and facedb search path.
- Port to other machines (both with and without sound support).
- Have a popup that will show some mail headers associated with a face
when selected with the pointer.
- Support for DEC AudioFile audio server.
- Invent X-Color-Face headers.(and X-Face-Shape header?)
- Attempt "finger" to retrieve image. (new search type)
- Support some kind of movie for an image. Play a movie (MPEG?) then
use static image for face.
- Display postscript images and animations.
- NNTP support: show newsgroups + count, show single newsgroup contents
- Document how to add new image types and new search types.